zed

c02 on planes?

I'm flying Jetstar, I've heard it's a $5k fine for taking c02 onboard, also heard you can take it onboard, but have to let them know? What's the deal??

It’s been fine with me on many flights with Jetstar, in fact there is one in every life jacket! Just let the check in attendant know you have 1 (or 2), they might have to make a phone call to check but it will be fine.

Note it’s very different departing in the US and in many parts of Europe

Really?

the under seat life jackets use the same c02 to blow up. 

The plane is full of them. 

I always fly with them in my bike bag. 

Strap heaps of them to your body. All good bra 😎🤘😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve always had about 4 in my bike bag and two in suitcase, only problem I’ve had was in Vietnam recently where I had to dispose of two from bike bag, they would only let me have two in each bag.  I’ve never declared them etc

You need to go onto their website and check it carefully re carrying dangerous goods. They will then link you to the Qantas website where they will tell you how to get a permit to carry these items. I think you send an email to the dangerous goods email address at Qantas with your flight booking and they will retern email you with approval for 12 months or until the end of the year to carry whatever it is that you carry. In my case it was 4x16g CO2 canisters. Put the canisters into your checked baggage and show them the permit when you check in.

GDG009.16 CO2 Cartridges up to 28g or 50ml.Lun Spdf.pdf

Edited by Slunnie

Wow that's insane.  I have never been asked and never declared anything.  Its compressed air and hardly classed as a dangerous good I would have thought.

Just found - According to Jetstar/Qantas website, c02 is fine for carry on baggage and checked baggage, just need to let them know.

1 hour ago, RunBrettRun said:

Wow that's insane.  I have never been asked and never declared anything.  Its compressed air and hardly classed as a dangerous good I would have thought.

No, it's CO2, not air. Different. Pedantic, yes, but I've heard people say it was oxygen, which would not be allowed as it's flamable...

Anyway, yes. Just declare it as you check in and you'll be fine for domestic flights. International flights are different - I was told to bring it in my hand luggage last time, and they were confiscated when transiting though the AUE...

Here are the links:

Jetstar policy: https://www.jetstar.com/au/en/help/articles/dangerous-goods

The Jetstar dangerous goods policy is governed by the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations and CASA Civil Aviation Safety Regulations.

Certain dangerous goods are permitted on board as carry-on or checked baggage, but they must comply with specific requirements as outlined on this page.

Important: At check-in, you’ll need to declare that you’ve understood these requirements. Failure to check your baggage for dangerous goods or comply with civil aviation security regulations is a serious offence.

CO2 canisters: http://www.qantas.com/travel/airlines/dangerous-goods/global/en#co2-non-flammable-gas-cartridges

Important

CO2 non-flammable gas cartridges must be declared during check-in.

Airline Approval Required - Yes Carry-on Baggage - Yes Checked Baggage - Yes

Requirements

• Up to four cartridges are permitted per passenger.
  • Up to 28g or 50ml per cartridge.

E-mail dg@qantas.com.au to request an Airline Approval.

1 hour ago, zed said:

Just found - According to Jetstar/Qantas website, c02 is fine for carry on baggage and checked baggage, just need to let them know.

On Qantas it's a limit of 4 per customer.

Trannies please give the full info and cite your source.

https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlines/dangerous-goods/global/en#co2-non-flammable-gas-cartridges

Edited by iFoz
Clearly Slunnie just beat me to the submit button :) good work Slunnie :).
  • Like 1

I usually just buy when I get there. Saves all the farking around and what-ifs

• Like 3

I dont know why you would want to carry them with you on board anyway? also, even though a policy says X and Y, are you going to rely on the muppet on the scanner knowing the policy, e.g. are calf socks legal in swim? how far down can zippers be undone? 

Not worth the hassle IMO... put them in bike bag or buy some at the expo (to hide the purchase of the other 1000 things you need...)

Ive always packed them in my suitcase flying frequently between Brisbane and Newcastle and also NZ and Hawaii, with no iddue.

TSA love to go digging for them in bike bags when flying into the US but its always been fine in the suitcase, whether its ok or not is another question.

They are a dangerous goods item. I have completed the Qantas Goods DG course and remember asking about them. They are permitted on a commercial aircraft in limited quantities (hence the limit per person)

As others have said its not worth relying on the Muppet at check in knowing the rules.

The US based Ironman races have a charity buy back scheme for unused Co2 after the race.  I think it's $3 per canister & they buy them back off you at $2 with the money going to a local charity.

Just as a data point Air NZ wouldn't allow me to take mine in either hand luggage or checked. I phoned them in advance to check and the agent went off for an hour and then called me back so I assume she properly checked!

1 minute ago, monkie said:

Just as a data point Air NZ wouldn't allow me to take mine in either hand luggage or checked. I phoned them in advance to check and the agent went off for an hour and then called me back so I assume she properly checked!

Different airlines have different rules. If someone can get me a UN number off a canister I'll get one of the Logistics Guys at work check.

19 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

The US based Ironman races have a charity buy back scheme for unused Co2 after the race.  I think it's $3 per canister & they buy them back off you at $2 with the money going to a local charity.

That is really cool. It would probably see me carrying 10 canisters out of fear of messing up with those things.

15 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

Dangerous................. How do think MacGyver ended the war in Kuwait....yep. 1 x CO2 cannister!!!

I guess its the same as making a call on your mobile, having the tray table down while reclining and closing the window shade during take off and landing.  

Found this old one I posted ages ago. Note: I know things have changed a bit but it really comes down to different airlines.

Tip: Be upfront.....well before you travel:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It comes down to which airline and country. There are multiple threads on this.

In short.... I phone Qantas and they said no issues as long as they are not in your carry on luggage.

I went - Sydney- Brisbane-Singapore no issues. Then went Tiger to Haikou. No issues. On way home I went China Southern to Hong Kong with no issues and then HK to Sydney. I got pulled up getting onto the flight and taken down onto the Tarmac where they provide an X-ray and said what are they. They then said show me and then confiscated them. This was also getting on a Cathay flight but I suspect the issue was it was Hong Kong.

Note: no issue going to Hawaii, though they open your bags and make a mess. If in doubt you can always buy them when you get there.

I had them in my bike bag flying from Rome to Paris and Alitalia made me take them out of my bike bag. When we flew Jetstar to Cairns last week they asked me if I had any with me, I had decided to just buy them once we arrived in Cairns to save any hassle.

I flew to cairns on Tiger and had 4 in my carry on. I told them at check in and they said no worries. No issues after that including going through security.

We took them on last year to Adelaide. Just show them at checkin it's now all good.

we got an email from Qantas in January before the tdu