Sign in to follow this  
Parkside

Amazon. What the?

Ok so Amazon have decided to geo block us from using their US site after our Govt have asked them to collect GST, we now have to use Amazon.AU with apparently a much narrower range, and no doubt a huge price gouge. They won't let non-AU Amazon pages ship to us, so only option is use a forwarder.

I've used HopShopGo in the past for brands that won't send here. Anyone found one that has cheaper rates? The way shipping costs and our dollar are, it's almost cheaper to fly to Honolulu to buy stuff now.

I only usually use Amazon for harder to get camera or electronic bits and pieces that aren't available here.

I’ve always used borderlinx but I don’t know their rates compared to hop shop go, I have always had good prompt service from them though

OPAS.com for me.

The geoblocking thing would appear to be their attempt to prop up their commitment to a local service that is not performing as expected, because the argument of it being too difficult/expensive to implement add-on GST doesn't stack up with Ebay.

I've seen up to 3 times for cost for some of the stuff here.  Didn't turn out to be the big discount that people were expecting when it started.

My wife finds lots of clothes on the us site that she can't find here, so I'm thinking we'll have to get on that too.

6 hours ago, goughy said:

I've seen up to 3 times for cost for some of the stuff here.  Didn't turn out to be the big discount that people were expecting when it started.

My wife finds lots of clothes on the us site that she can't find here, so I'm thinking we'll have to get on that too.

The postage by itself is exorbitant and takes almost all the margin you save buying direct from the USA. Add the 10% gst and the Amazon local price gouge and brick and mortar dinosaurs like Gerry Harvey have won.

• Sad 1

Except in the case where you can't find here what you can get there, and it's not about the price per se but access to the item itself.

1 hour ago, goughy said:

Except in the case where you can't find here what you can get there, and it's not about the price per se but access to the item itself.

Yep but now more than likely Amazon AU won't stock it and Amazon USA won't ship it to you. The forwarding companies will make a mint out of this.

Yes, AU has never studied them.  And we've never used a freight forward company, but may end up with one.

8 minutes ago, goughy said:

Yes, AU has never stocked them.  And we've never used a freight forward company, but may end up with one.

20 hours ago, Parkside said:

Ok so Amazon have decided to geo block us from using their US site after our Govt have asked them to collect GST, we now have to use Amazon.AU with apparently a much narrower range, and no doubt a huge price gouge. They won't let non-AU Amazon pages ship to us, so only option is use a forwarder.

I've used HopShopGo in the past for brands that won't send here. Anyone found one that has cheaper rates? The way shipping costs and our dollar are, it's almost cheaper to fly to Honolulu to buy stuff now.

I only usually use Amazon for harder to get camera or electronic bits and pieces that aren't available here.

Of course you do.

If people want specific stuff then I'm sure we could arrange a UK - AUS pipeline...

11 hours ago, oldave said:

Of course you do.

and books, looking at my account, most common purchase is real paper books. 

4 hours ago, Peter said:

Book depository is better. 

its owned by amazon, will be interesting if they block that as well......  

1 hour ago, Oompa Loompa said:

its owned by amazon, will be interesting if they block that as well......  

Didn’t know that. 

I only buy technical books, which have a life expectancy of 2-3 years-ish, so I haven't bought a 'paper' book since the advent of Kindle.

On 01/06/2018 at 11:34 PM, Parkside said:

...AU with apparently a much narrower range, and no doubt a huge price gouge...

This! Australia is a retail black hole.

I save my major spending for overseas trips, for the range of products. I bought three pairs of Brooks of differing colour schemes of the same model ('cos they keep making my favorite models obsolete) for the price of one and the single colour selection in Aus.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, XCOM! said:

I only buy technical books, which have a life expectancy of 2-3 years-ish, so I haven't bought a 'paper' book since the advent of Kindle.

Kindle all the way for me too, but I did buy Baggsy's book