RunBrettRun

Busso 2018

1 hour ago, FFF1077 said:

And.... 

I got corporate approval to do the run in full Postie uniform. 

Minus the helmet and boots 👌

If I so desire. 

I'll take it with me and play it by ear 

You could always do the 1 mile run the next day in uniform. Just make sure it doesn't get covered in recycled chocolate milk.

• Like 2

And.... 

I got corporate approval to do the run in full Postie uniform. 

Minus the helmet and boots 👌

If I so desire. 

I'll take it with me and play it by ear 

Might be a bit warm for 42km, but whatever floats your boat.  

If you do the bike in it too, you can have the helmet sorted. 

Guest FFF1077
58 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

You could always do the 1 mile run the next day in uniform. Just make sure it doesn't get covered in recycled chocolate milk.

I do not think corporate would be too happy about that.... 🙄😬😬

After a consolation with the West Australian Beer Mile race director yesterday, I will be there in full capacity. 

Rule 6.5 section A - "Just drink the beer mate... FFS" 😂😂😂

Therefore in preparation for the event I will be subjecting myself to occasional tastings which I am happy to be doing. The 400m repeats can wait. 

Edited by FFF1077
Details

My TT bike has clinchers on that have 980km on them and have been on since November 2016. They look okay with no cuts etc.Worth leaving on for race day you reckon or is fresh rubber what most of you do before the big day?

57 minutes ago, BigRig said:

My TT bike has clinchers on that have 980km on them and have been on since November 2016. They look okay with no cuts etc.Worth leaving on for race day you reckon or is fresh rubber what most of you do before the big day?

I have a similar question. My race wheels have the continental 4000 whatevers on the, did Busso in 2014 and the half in May 2015 plus about another 500ks in total. 

Likely ok or change?

I did port this year on tubular's purchased in 2010 i think. I did actually re-glue them, but they were in very good condition

I think it comes down to piece of mind, low cost option to help ensure a finish.

• Like 1

Katz you have to be more worried about the rubber perishing due to age than use :)

~1000 km is a month of riding really.

If you'd change em every month, then change em, otherwise, relax.

• Like 1

I always did put freshies on for IM. 

Not always the miles, but the months in them. Plus stuff gets in the rubber and can work it's way through. 

Cheap insurance really. Well. Not so cheap. But worth it in my mind. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was looking at mine the other day, GP 4000s that I put on for Port in 2015... probably have done 300km on them since... but they're getting a bit long in the tooth. I wonder how long they sit in warehouses before you purchase them anyway...

I put a set of tyres on for important races - have training tyres on for any TTs in training but fit race tyres the day before the IM - where you store them in between uses is important that they're in a low light room or in a wheel bag 

I have had a tyre which had very little mileage on it fail in Port a couple of years ago - it had been kept in a low light situation but in a tool shed where thinners, turps and petrol had also been stored. All I can think of is there may have been fumes present that caused the rubber to degrade - the tyre separated from the bead and blew out - when we examined it closely the rubber was a bit "sticky" where it separated

So my race tyres are now stored in a cleaner environment - have very little mileage on them (2 x 180km races) won't come out again until Gundi in February 😎 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BigRig said:

I always put new on for my A race, then scrub in for about two hours prior. If the ones I'm taking off are in ok shape I just keep them as decent spares for the roadie, then I use the new set for the rest of the season on the TT bike, which for me is the next year as the last two years for Wales, the race is in Sept.

I always put new tubes in before a race.

I put new tyres on my race wheels and my "old" race wheels become my training tyres.

On 10/11/2018 at 9:51 PM, RunBrettRun said:

Is that cause you're tapering for 3 weeks?

Yep. Build has been decent but body maintenance not so great so time to freshen up. My main goal is get tighter on nutrition, after tonight's taper celebration, and to keep up on swimming frequency.

1 hour ago, Kiwinoz said:

Yep. Build has been decent but body maintenance not so great so time to freshen up. My main goal is get tighter on nutrition, after tonight's taper celebration, and to keep up on swimming frequency.

Care to share some numbers? Hours per week done and how you'll taper it?

On 11/11/2018 at 3:49 PM, BigRig said:

Thanks for all the advice.Turts and AP's comments really got me thinking, I so put fresh tyres and tubes on today.Will run them in over the next few weeks. They are are not the usual black colour tyres, but at least I know they are new.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BigRig said:

Thanks for all the advice.Turts and AP's comments really got me thinking, I so put fresh tyres and tubes on today.Will run them in over the next few weeks. They are are not the usual black colour tyres, but at least I know they are new.

Good one. I meant to say, but others covered it. I always run a few kms on the newbies before the race, but not too many.  Just to make sure they're seated and happy. And the valve cores on the new tubes are snug and not leaking. 

1 hour ago, prizna said:

Care to share some numbers? Hours per week done and how you'll taper it?

My consistency hasn't been perfect but in the last 15 weeks I averaged 16:40 hpw, lowest 7:19, largest 23:26. For IMNZ last 12 weeks ave including the race was 15:40 hpw, I was injured and only ran 2.5h in the last 5 weeks. Last 12 weeks for Cairns I averaged 17hpw but didn't feel like I regained full run fitness. 

I will bastardise Joe Friel's peak in 'Your Best Triathlon', it's built around 4 race pace bricks starting this Friday but still keeps some intensity this week. I completed 21h the last 2 weeks and 5.5h today so will probably land around 15-17 this week, not exactly putting my feet up but cutting back nonetheless.  

• Thanks 1

19 days 13 hours 15min 

Ssssshhhhhhhhhh.......be quiet.........

Somewhat related, one thing I always do is check my CO2 inflator a couple of days before the race on my race wheels. yes you burn through a gas bottle but better to know your inflator hasn't lost its seal then, rather than on the course.

11 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Somewhat related, one thing I always do is check my CO2 inflator a couple of days before the race on my race wheels. yes you burn through a gas bottle but better to know your inflator hasn't lost its seal then, rather than on the course.

Good point! Lucky I had a box of 50 co2 cartridges delivered today, don’t mind burning one for piece of mind

8 hours ago, Kiwinoz said:

My consistency hasn't been perfect but in the last 15 weeks I averaged 16:40 hpw, lowest 7:19, largest 23:26. For IMNZ last 12 weeks ave including the race was 15:40 hpw, I was injured and only ran 2.5h in the last 5 weeks. Last 12 weeks for Cairns I averaged 17hpw but didn't feel like I regained full run fitness. 

I will bastardise Joe Friel's peak in 'Your Best Triathlon', it's built around 4 race pace bricks starting this Friday but still keeps some intensity this week. I completed 21h the last 2 weeks and 5.5h today so will probably land around 15-17 this week, not exactly putting my feet up but cutting back nonetheless.  

Awesome. Throw a goal out there?

Edited by prizna

2 hours ago, prizna said:

Awesome. Throw a goal out there?

Whats the weather going to be? Sub 10. PR is 10.02 @ Cairns 2017. Swam 1:09 NZ, 1:17 Cairns, so 1:10-1:14, should ride 5-10min either side of 5h and fk me if I don't go under 3.30 this time. No kore IMs till late next yeat so this one has to count.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kiwinoz said:

Whats the weather going to be? Sub 10. PR is 10.02 @ Cairns 2017. Swam 1:09 NZ, 1:17 Cairns, so 1:10-1:14, should ride 5-10min either side of 5h and fk me if I don't go under 3.30 this time. No kore IMs till late next yeat so this one has to count.

Good luck.

25 minutes ago, Kiwinoz said:

Have you done Busso before?

Swim is quicker than Cairns as is bike leg. T1/T2 longer in Busso, run probably marginally quicker in Cairns, not much in it. Most peeps I know that did Busso IM and Cairns IM in similar shape were about 10 - 20mins slower in Cairns. So you should go sub 10 if nothing goes wrong.

Weather wise, it will probs be between 23 - 28 with a strong seabreeze kicking in around 11ish and picking up. Low 30s could still happen, high 30s, as it was last year, would be unusual for that time of year. 

Edited by zed

3 hours ago, zed said:

Have you done Busso before?

Swim is quicker than Cairns as is bike leg. T1/T2 longer in Busso, run probably marginally quicker in Cairns, not much in it. Most peeps I know that did Busso IM and Cairns IM in similar shape were about 10 - 20mins slower in Cairns. So you should go sub 10 if nothing goes wrong.

Weather wise, it will probs be between 23 - 28 with a strong seabreeze kicking in around 11ish and picking up. Low 30s could still happen, high 30s, as it was last year, would be unusual for that time of year. 

My PR was 1.5 years ago, I felt so much younger then...  First time at Busso, 5th IM in total. Don't want to get too far ahead of myself, simply need to focus on committing to a race plan, controlling what I can and executing on the day.

19 minutes ago, Kiwinoz said:

My PR was 1.5 years ago, I felt so much younger then...  First time at Busso, 5th IM in total. Don't want to get too far ahead of myself, simply need to focus on committing to a race plan, controlling what I can and executing on the day.

You'll enjoy the course and if we get decent weather it will good for running. I think if you can manage 10.02 in Cairns sub 10 is easily doable. So much easier with the shorter races to accurately guesstimate your time though.

If I can get to 20km into the run relatively unscathed I should be OK.

Edited by zed

10 minutes ago, zed said:

The run doesn't start till the 4th lap mate.  

36 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

For some it starts as you hand the bike off. 

47 minutes ago, zed said:

Ha, first 20 is easy. You can lose a lot of time when you start walking in that last 22km.

Zed is this your first?

2 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

Yep.  At 28km I was on track for 3:26 at Cairns this year, started puking and finished with 3:49.

11 minutes ago, Kiwinoz said:

Yep.  At 28km I was on track for 3:26 at Cairns this year, started puking and finished with 3:49.

Was on track for sub 3 at port last year.

I still find little pieces of my soul out at settlement point every time I run there.  Took me a month or so till I went back out there after that race.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

Yup!

I meant

If I can get to 40km into the run relatively unscathed I should be OK.

2 hours ago, prizna said:

Ha, first 20 is easy. You can lose a lot of time when you start walking in that last 22km.

Zed is this your first?

Nah I did one 4 years ago when I first got into triathlon, it was a f**king mess though, a painful mess. Hence the reason for the 4 year hiatus. 

1 hour ago, zed said:

Nah I did one 4 years ago when I first got into triathlon, it was a f**king mess though, a painful mess. Hence the reason for the 4 year 

Lol I had 3 years off from my 1st. My 2nd was a 1.5h PR so hopefully the same for you.

RBR,  sometimes we need a few failures to succeed, sounds like you were giving it a mighty crack!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kiwinoz said:

Lol I had 3 years off from my 1st. My 2nd was a 1.5h PR so hopefully the same for you.

RBR,  sometimes we need a few failures to succeed, sounds like you were giving it a mighty crack!

I had a small mechanical on the bike and ran the first 10k trying to make up some time.  Was a learning experience that's for sure..

4 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

Was on track for sub 3 at port last year.

I still find little pieces of my soul out at settlement point every time I run there.  Took me a month or so till I went back out there after that race.

Haha

I remember heading out to settlement point and seeing you walking back towards town like you’d just seen a ghost.

When I eventually passed you we were near the Maccas and your partner was absolutely giving it to you, pointing towards the start of the fourth lap and telling you to get the fark moving 😂😂😂

20 minutes ago, Hoffy86 said:

Haha

I remember heading out to settlement point and seeing you walking back towards town like you’d just seen a ghost.

When I eventually passed you we were near the Maccas and your partner was absolutely giving it to you, pointing towards the start of the fourth lap and telling you to get the fark moving 😂😂😂

There is a lot of love in our relationship.  I'll give her the same courtesy late may when the head starts showing.

• Haha 1

Guest FFF1077
13 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

There is a lot of love in our relationship.  I'll give her the same courtesy late may when the head starts showing.

Congratulations 🎉😎👌

32 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

If that's the case, make sure she can't reach a knife.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

Congrats. So there must be some lofty goals this race? I can't be the only one brave (or stupid) enough to publicly disclose race goals?

Edited by Kiwinoz

35 minutes ago, Kiwinoz said:

Congrats. So there must be some lofty goals this race? I can't be the only one brave (or stupid) enough to publicly disclose race goals?

Sub 10 would be great. I think low 10s would be realistic though. I'm just not quite sure how to pace the run and what time to aim for. Obviously don't smash the first 20km, but I also don't want to run too conservative? Do you use your long run as a pace guide or your brick runs? 

It's a bit intimidating looking at pretty average run times for some of the top runners in my AG, if they're running so slow WTF is going to happen to me!? But then they're riding 4.40s. Is overbiking such a chronic thing in Ironman? You'd think MOP/BOPers maybe, but top Agers? Surely they'd know better?

Without sounding like im making excuses im just wanting to get through the finish line. Im not fast but the plan was / still is to aim for a finish approx 1 hr quicker than my first ironman in Cairns last year, so 11:30 ish which im more than capable of doing, however im currently on a running ban and am confined to a close relationship with my foam roller and physio.

The major part of the goal for this race was to have a really good for me run which everything was coming along nicely and i was really confident......confidence gone but.....

Here's hoping when i get off the bike i can produce some sort of run.

Fingers crossed

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KieranR said:

Without sounding like im making excuses im just wanting to get through the finish line. Im not fast but the plan was / still is to aim for a finish approx 1 hr quicker than my first ironman in Cairns last year, so 11:30 ish which im more than capable of doing, however im currently on a running ban and am confined to a close relationship with my foam roller and physio.

The major part of the goal for this race was to have a really good for me run which everything was coming along nicely and i was really confident......confidence gone but.....

Fingers crossed

I dont want to sound like FB but can you water run?

by now the endurance should be built and water running might help just keep some aerobic fitness and similar running movement... I'd probably just rest myself..

6 minutes ago, KieranR said:

Fingers crossed

I know so many people limping towards the start line... 

When do you start back running? Dec 2nd??

Edited by zed

8 minutes ago, pieman said:

I dont want to sound like FB but can you water run?

by now the endurance should be built and water running might help just keep some aerobic fitness and similar running movement... I'd probably just rest myself..

At the moment the physios words are no running at all - Im keeping Chris informed of exactly what shes saying.  My inner quad muscles are not firing well so we are working on getting them to activate better and rolling A LOT

8 minutes ago, zed said:

I know so many people limping towards the start line... 

When do you start back running? Dec 2nd??

At this stage yes, but we are reviewing it this Friday at physio