RunBrettRun

Busso 2018

On 01/12/2018 at 9:22 AM, FFF1077 said:

Job done. 

Off to the pub 

20181201_052516.jpg

I hope the guy on the right is practicing drinking tea with the Queen & not throwing the Devil's Horns!?!?

Acceptable variations of the Metal Fist -:

14vlgy0.jpg

• Haha 4

Don’t worry I told him to take another pic as this one was not suitable, he clicked the button too early!  There is a more applicable pic on his phone!  I was ashamed with this one also! 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

For those that missed Sam's Finish, here it is in full.  MP4 format

I can capture others.  If you want yours done, message me.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Peter said:

If only he had spent less than 12 mins in T1 and 17 mins in T2 he might have been an official' finisher...😃

how many outfit changes were there in that lot? 

25 minutes ago, Peter said:

Where are the finisher vids peter?

Today I have had to winch myself down onto the toilet and timing became critical, thankfully it ended well.

My time in Busso has been short but I've been very impressed with the race venue. Next time I'll bring the family here for a good holiday, maybe even next year;)

Safe travels and recovery well 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KieranR said:

Thanks for the support, I had a PB swim, couldn’t hang onto anyone’s feet so found myself in no mans land but the goal was always sub 1:20 swim which I achieved, bike I’m stoked with, nailed the plan and biked 5:27, got off and legs felt good but the lingering ITB tightness was noticeable, I haven’t run for 4 weeks so didn’t know what to expect, I ran well for 25km walking the aid stations to reset the body position, but it got progressively worse and at 25km the ITB said no more, so the last 17km was 500 walk 500 run.  So I’m happy but frustrated at the same time.  Overall beat my previous best time by close to 30 mins I think.

Great racing - well done 😊

1 hour ago, BigRig said:

Anyone know the name of the local business doing the medal engraving for Busso finishers?

Go to the Ironman merch tent at the expo they are doing it there

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, willie said:

Now that qualifying is over it's time for the main event... Who's going to win the beer mile? 

Can I do it on my mtb?

37 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Is there a beer miles thread?

And where's Sam???

According to Facebook, on the way home! 

Rest assured that the Port Beer Mile thread will be up in advance of the event.

42 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Is there a beer miles thread?

No, there's a post above.

4 minutes ago, MissJess said:

Rest assured that the Port Beer Mile thread will be up in advance of the event.

The Busselton Beer Mile is a little more exclusive than that rabble over in Port.  We don't allow just anyone in, a little like the Freemasons.  To become one, ask one (or read posts and social media, if you can't be bothered then you don't want it bad enough.)

• Like 2

Anyone know anything about the AG who came 6th overall. On twits they're saying he got hit by a car during the bike leg and still managed to finish in 9:02. 

16 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

While you're at it Peter.  Might as well post them all up 

Have to wait until tomorrow.  

Real life is taking over. 

6 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

While you're at it Peter.  Might as well post them all up 

You had an awesome race, and looked the part. are you still self coached or is TeamWyn coaching as well? will you be off to Kona or wait till the sprog is a older? 

1 hour ago, KieranR said:

Go to the Ironman merch tent at the expo they are doing it there

Got it. Thanks.

Prizna 6th and 4 slots for his AG, most guys taking their spots, going to be toight!

1 hour ago, pieman said:

You had an awesome race, and looked the part. are you still self coached or is TeamWyn coaching as well? will you be off to Kona or wait till the sprog is a older? 

he's not coached at the moment. Used to be Grant Giles... 

nasty happenings on course at Busso.  Just saw this on FB

.... by Shannon at #ironmanwesternaustralia finishing 3rd in her category after being deliberately crashed into whilst leading. Riding 140km with a broken bike and a broken arm, Shannon called on all her reserves to somehow get to the finish line. Finishing what is started is worth so much to Shannon and we are extremely proud of her never say die attitude.

Quite simply a disgusting incident we have requested @ironmanoceania to take seriously with an investigation.

15 minutes ago, prizna said:

I prefer to call myself Pikachu. Thanks for the shout out on the course. I would've said more but breathing was hard.

But yes prizna/Pikachu is off to Kona.

which age group is this? any big roll downs?

54 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

nasty happenings on course at Busso.  Just saw this on FB

.... by Shannon at #ironmanwesternaustralia finishing 3rd in her category after being deliberately crashed into whilst leading. Riding 140km with a broken bike and a broken arm, Shannon called on all her reserves to somehow get to the finish line. Finishing what is started is worth so much to Shannon and we are extremely proud of her never say die attitude.

Quite simply a disgusting incident we have requested @ironmanoceania to take seriously with an investigation.

I need to hear more about this, how does anyone ride 140km with a broken arm and then run 42.2km and finish 3rd 😮

And who deliberatly crashes into someone? Surely it was a fellow competitor? Surely much more to come...

Edited by dazaau

12 minutes ago, dazaau said:

I need to hear more about this, how does anyone ride 140km with a broken arm and then run 42.2km and finish 3rd 😮

And who deliberatly crashes into someone? Surely it was a fellow competitor? Surely much more to come...

Maybe someone riding along side on a MTB then they lost their balance... 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, A2K said:

Maybe someone riding along side on a MTB then they lost their balance... 

I'm not even going there....

• Haha 1

Beer mile success, Zed was going for the win in his one piece and racing flats, rumour has it his cider came up more than once, a minion called ken took the win after Nathan Groch who has one the last couple was ruled ineligible due to a DNF yesterday! Race director stickman did a great job.  I have video footage will get to it in the coming days. 

B116894B-89FF-4596-8169-918C86446F8B.jpeg

437DDF3F-A763-4DF8-AB52-7E141995C47A.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, prizna said:

Bit of a race recap

History: this was my fifth Ironman to be fourth finish after a dnf in Cairns on my second crack. 

I'm notorious for swimming well blowing up on the bike and walking home.

I was deployed to PNG for work in May and needed a reason to keep training whilst away. Busselton it was! 6 months of exclusively training riding very limited running outside due to safety and a swimming pool to myself.

Race day, I can swim. I cruised the swim and was first overall Ag and 7th overall. 51 and change. 

Bike: here comes the test can I stick to the plan and control myself. I had a target of 220w for the ride. I rode the ride as 6x30km segments with the idea of settling and building. I split 210w,213,218,225,226,223 

Rode 5:02 or 03 can't remember. 

Got off the bike 2nd in my Ag.

Here comes the fun part the run. I had a target pace of 4:40 for the first 22ish km I hit this almost perfectly. Then suddenly I started cramping in my hammies had a couple of km run/walk/stretching it out. I started to load up on salt which may have been too late. I battled for a little bit until I hit my darkest moment my stomach started cramping and my lower back seizing/tightening. A few very dark kms some brutal words to myself and almost a few years later I was back hobbling along. Limped home to a 3:40.

4 slots and I got 6th, for me this isn't about Kona it's about challenging myself and seeing that I can be one of those super fit guys. My goal has always been to qualify ooutright and the goal lives on! However it's not everyday you get the opportunity to go Kona and when the slots rolled to 7th I had to say yes.

Well done Prizna. To still pull in 6th after a 3:40 marathon shows you've got everything else right.

Enjoy your shot at Kona. Just don't get carried away on the bike, cause cramps halfway through the run there could make the 3:40 look like a sprint. :)

All the best. You deserve it after a prep like PNG.

Well done prizna. That’s awesome dude. 

The wife may kill you if you elect to get posted somewhere remote again for a 6 month training camp. 

32 minutes ago, Kenneth said:

Well done prizna. That’s awesome dude. 

The wife may kill you if you elect to get posted somewhere remote again for a 6 month training camp. 

Mind you, PNG would be great acclimatization for Kona.

Great post Prizna. Your watts/splits are to die for!  Congrats on your race & have a blast in Kona. Trannies will cheering for you 🤗

• Like 2

5 hours ago, prizna said:

I prefer to call myself Pikachu. Thanks for the shout out on the course. I would've said more but breathing was hard.

But yes prizna/Pikachu is off to Kona.

Congratulations and thanks for the Trannie cap shout out on course! You're pretty famous in my house, ever since Husky 2017 I have been harrassed to wear Pokemon hat. Given your success I may need to find a Muppets Animal cap although I'm concerned about their cooling abilities.

• Like 2

Sadly no.  Swim and bike better than expected, run pretty much exactly as expected.  I wish I could blame pacing.  Not exactly in race shape unless it was a speed eating contest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I had a friend who was a TO on Sunday, someone asked her the funniest things to happen during the day. She couldn't decided between:

- the guy that didnt rack his bike, but joined in on the bike leg somewhere because he doesn't like swimming OR

- the guy that stopped and started screaming that his Garmin wasnt working.

They walk among us 🙄

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, prizna said:

Bit of a race recap

History: this was my fifth Ironman to be fourth finish after a dnf in Cairns on my second crack. 

I'm notorious for swimming well blowing up on the bike and walking home.

I was deployed to PNG for work in May and needed a reason to keep training whilst away. Busselton it was! 6 months of exclusively training riding very limited running outside due to safety and a swimming pool to myself.

Race day, I can swim. I cruised the swim and was first overall Ag and 7th overall. 51 and change. 

Bike: here comes the test can I stick to the plan and control myself. I had a target of 220w for the ride. I rode the ride as 6x30km segments with the idea of settling and building. I split 210w,213,218,225,226,223 

Rode 5:02 or 03 can't remember. 

Got off the bike 2nd in my Ag.

Here comes the fun part the run. I had a target pace of 4:40 for the first 22ish km I hit this almost perfectly. Then suddenly I started cramping in my hammies had a couple of km run/walk/stretching it out. I started to load up on salt which may have been too late. I battled for a little bit until I hit my darkest moment my stomach started cramping and my lower back seizing/tightening. A few very dark kms some brutal words to myself and almost a few years later I was back hobbling along. Limped home to a 3:40.

4 slots and I got 6th, for me this isn't about Kona it's about challenging myself and seeing that I can be one of those super fit guys. My goal has always been to qualify ooutright and the goal lives on! However it's not everyday you get the opportunity to go Kona and when the slots rolled to 7th I had to say yes.

Well done Prizna. Great reward for sticking at it and learning from those low points - making you a better athlete. Congrats.

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

I had a friend who was a TO on Sunday, someone asked her the funniest things to happen during the day. She couldn't decided between:

- the guy that didnt rack his bike, but joined in on the bike leg somewhere because he doesn't like swimming OR.

They walk among us 🙄

This happens at nearly every 2xu race in Melbourne.