RunBrettRun

Busso 2018

I used aqua jogging, lots of Achilles heel drops and new shoes to get through IMNZ. But evey injury and case is different, what shouldn't change is that you shouldn't lose much run fitness with 3 weeks to go.

For run pacing I look at this chart. I generally run bricks and long runs a touch faster. I have also switched to walking 45 seconds every 3km, this allows me to reset each time and keeps me focussed on just my current interval.images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSuZIDdzDyqZmpKmRnR5AP

3 hours ago, Kiwinoz said:

Congrats. So there must be some lofty goals this race? I can't be the only one brave (or stupid) enough to publicly disclose race goals?

Time goals can vary based on so many factors.
So Ill give a range

Swim 50-55 depending on conditions, course length, other swimmers...
Ride 4:45-5:15, again same depending on conditions, I have no idea what the course/road is like, just know it is historically fast.  
Run - 3:00-3:10 
Transition + 5-10min
Total - 8:50-9:20 would be a good range to come in between and I would be relatively happy with anything in that.

I don't really have any excuses, not limping in, carrying a few niggles, have trained the last 15 weeks very consistently with just one weekend off with a cold last weekend where I had 3 days off.  My previous 6 months is where I struggled with consistency but I've maintained a good level of training since then.  Only one concern I have is ve not done the massive rides I have in previous Ironman builds but that was on purpose, so Ill see if it pays off or if it leaves me limping home the last 20k.  Its going to be a good indication of where the work needs to go for Port but I'm excited for both and looking forward to the trip which is approaching very rapidly.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Kiwinoz said:

I used aqua jogging, lots of Achilles heel drops and new shoes to get through IMNZ. But evey injury and case is different, what shouldn't change is that you shouldn't lose much run fitness with 3 weeks to go.

For run pacing I look at this chart. I generally run bricks and long runs a touch faster. I have also switched to walking 45 seconds every 3km, this allows me to reset each time and keeps me focussed on just my current interval.images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSuZIDdzDyqZmpKmRnR5AP

I've run a 3:04 mara in ironman and I would not be a chance in hell of doing the associated times.  Take this chart with a grain of salt..

Guest FFF1077
3 hours ago, zed said:

It's a bit intimidating looking at pretty average run times for some of the top runners in my AG, if they're running so slow WTF is going to happen to me!? But then they're riding 4.40s. Is overbiking such a chronic thing in Ironman? You'd think MOP/BOPers maybe, but top Agers? Surely they'd know better?

Bigger dick swinging 

2 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

Bigger dick swinging 

Yeah dunno. Weird. You get to that level, surely you'd know how to pace better?

Guest FFF1077
1 minute ago, zed said:

Yeah dunno. Weird. You get to that level, surely you'd know how to pace better?

There are HEAPS of fast guys around who let ego get in the way of a good overall race process 🙄✌️👍👍

57 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

I've run a 3:04 mara in ironman and I would not be a chance in hell of doing the associated times.  Take this chart with a grain of salt..

Are you looking at Vdot line of 64 or 46? Because I think the column for IM times is the min per km pace so your 3.04 would be 4:22ish and so equates to a pretty slow (for you) 10km and 5km doesnt it?

12 minutes ago, pieman said:

Are you looking at Vdot line of 64 or 46? Because I think the column for IM times is the min per km pace so your 3.04 would be 4:22ish and so equates to a pretty slow (for you) 10km and 5km doesnt it?

No, they're total run times.  If they weren't it would have you running faster than your threshold for the IM mara.

I was looking at the times between 64 and 69.
64 could be achieveable with a whole lot of specific work but I was definitely not in that shape when I ran a low 3.  

I think all this proves is that historically people are training the wrong energy system for ironman, not that there has to be that much of a slow down.  If you train properly you can close that gap between stand alone and Ironman run times.

The chart scares me so Im going to stop looking at it..

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Stikman said:

No, they're total run times.  If they weren't it would have you running faster than your threshold for the IM mara.

I have a modified version of this table and it only has a IM in min/km but that was plagiarised/bastardized by a coach so yeah....

I haven't done a stand alone 5/10/HM for well over a year, so can only guestimate.

The chart scares me so Im going to stop looking at it.

Charts like that can only cause you to overthink it - nothing to be gained by studying charts - too much data available in this sport 🙄

Guest FFF1077
52 minutes ago, AP said:

Charts like that can only cause you to overthink it - nothing to be gained by studying charts - too much data available in this sport 🙄

And here's the graph to prove APs point 

images (1).png

Guest FFF1077

I'm not very smart but.... 

I am calling significant rain for race day. The ants around the letterboxes are going nuts. Usually a definite sign of heavy rains on the way 

Just now, Stikman said:

At least that means we'll get wet I suppose.

most likely get soaking wet, within minutes of starting the whole thing.

(assuming no Noahs)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AP said:

So how do you choose a pace. Most pros fade on the run too. Whats wrong with taking the conservative pace as a starting point?

I’d really like there to be no rain till I’m on the run. Me plus TT bike plus rain plus wind is an awful, awful combo. 

56 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

The ants around the letterboxes are going nuts. Usually a definite sign of heavy rains on the way 

Or someone in Auspost smashed the bottle of syrup in the parcel.

Guest FFF1077
31 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Or someone in Auspost smashed the bottle of syrup in the parcel.

Never. 

image.png.83c89c0da5834069df1d55b51d53bfe9.pngthis is from accuweather, elders is saying low chance of rain........what sites does everyone use for kong range forecasts? i dont mind the rain, its like a novelty for me considering we get basically none up here

1 hour ago, Kiwinoz said:

So how do you choose a pace. Most pros fade on the run too. Whats wrong with taking the conservative pace as a starting point?

I learn from feel in training and also based off previous races.  Should be slower than a half and the pace should scare you a bit.  I'd prefer to have a crack on the run and fade the last 5k or so than to never know.. 

• Like 2

I reckon most people going by feel go too fast too soon. I agree that feel is very important, my best half IM was faster than planned and a negative split. I also agree that APs racing mindset is more important, but hope someone has tested running and biking an IM with an IF > 0.80. Most marathon WR are negative splits for a good reason. 

Agree but we aren't running a marathon were doing an Ironman.  As I say if you train the right way you can definitely close that gap alright off.  God looking at that chart got me really concerned about the fact I couldn't run 5k at the half mara pace but that pace literally has nothing to do with being strong and running off a 180k bike so all is good in my head again.  I think.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

Never. 

I worked about 5 Christmas's sorting mail. I still remember the pungent smell of spirits coming out of the "Other Articles" bags we were throwing the parcels into, soon to be replaced by the pungent smell of perfume. Personally I'd never send a glass container through the mail.

Guest FFF1077
6 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I worked about 5 Christmas's sorting mail. I still remember the pungent smell of spirits coming out of the "Other Articles" bags we were throwing the parcels into, soon to be replaced by the pungent smell of perfume. Personally I'd never send a glass container through the mail.

I have received parcels that have been damaged by the process. Before I have even touched them. 

It's frustrating... Because I am just the middle man. But I get the customers frustration. 

Oh well. Part of the job. 

Just like the flexible finish times, employment stability and autonomy. 

After my run yesterday Garmin Connect told me that I had won my Frosty badge for completing a run in sub 0 temperature, it was -10C. Great training for Busso 😀

Garmin Connect also told me that I could earn my heat badge by doing a run in temperature about 38C, I hope that I do not earn this on race day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

After my run yesterday Garmin Connect told me that I had won my Frosty badge for completing a run in sub 0 temperature, it was -10C. Great training for Busso 😀

Garmin Connect also told me that I could earn my heat badge by doing a run in temperature about 38C, I hope that I do not earn this on race day.

You would have to wonder about the wisdom of Garmin incentivising the masses to run in temperatures exceeding 38 degrees in our litigious world. Good on them but it seems a bit brave to me! 

-10 is cold. Respect. 

Loving the pre IM hype as everyone gets more time on Transitions as the taper goes on :D

Is there a list of bib numbers somewhere so I can track you all come race day?

17 hours ago, KieranR said:

image.png.83c89c0da5834069df1d55b51d53bfe9.pngthis is from accuweather, elders is saying low chance of rain........what sites does everyone use for kong range forecasts? i dont mind the rain, its like a novelty for me considering we get basically none up here

I did Mandurah 70.3 4 years on the trot and for 4 years all of November was mild (low 20s) apart from race day. Every race was 30+, one year it hit 40. I started looking at long range forecasts and obsessing about the weather. Unfortunately I figured out, those long range forecast are hopelessly inaccurate. I think it's just determined using some algorithim with historical data rather than current weather. Even 7 days out is pretty inaccurate. 4 days is close, 2 days is accurate. 10 days out from Mandurah 70.3 it had temp as 23, 1 week high 20s, 48 hours before was low 30s and race day was 39.

11 minutes ago, xblane said:

Loving the pre IM hype as everyone gets more time on Transitions as the taper goes on :D

I'll make a thread.

Can't forget mine:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, xblane said:

Ill have a guess and see if i can put names from the forum against the start list

KieranR -681

RBR - 227

ZED - 234

Prizna - 452

Katz - 1008

Stikman - ?

Ironnerd - 14-009

Willie - ?

FFF- ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KieranR said:

Ill have a guess and see if i can put names from the forum against the start list

KieranR -681

RBR - 227

ZED - 234

Prizna - 452

Katz - 1008

Stikman - ?

Ironnerd - 14-009

Willie - ?

FFF- ?

Who are the Busso first timers?

FFF

RBR

KiwininOZ

KieranR

Prizna 

2 hours ago, zed said:

I did Mandurah 70.3 4 years on the trot and for 4 years all of November was mild (low 20s) apart from race day. Every race was 30+, one year it hit 40. I started looking at long range forecasts and obsessing about the weather. Unfortunately I figured out, those long range forecast are hopelessly inaccurate. I think it's just determined using some algorithim with historical data rather than current weather. Even 7 days out is pretty inaccurate. 4 days is close, 2 days is accurate. 10 days out from Mandurah 70.3 it had temp as 23, 1 week high 20s, 48 hours before was low 30s and race day was 39.

This is spot on.

Checking weather forecasts any longer than 2 - 3 days out is a waste of time and emotional energy.

2 hours ago, Hoffy86 said:

This is spot on.

Checking weather forecasts any longer than 2 - 3 days out is a waste of time and emotional energy.

if its not blowing 35 knots or more and is less than 35 deg ill be dissapointed.  thats what i train in a lot of the time :) 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KieranR said:

if its not blowing 35 knots or more and is less than 35 deg ill be dissapointed.  thats what i train in a lot of the time :) 

I really hope you’re very disappointed. 

• Haha 2

Busso in may, av wind speed was 56 km/hr, max wind speed was 81 km/hr which according to the Beaufort scale is a severe gale. Great day for my disc!

1 hour ago, zed said:

Busso in may, av wind speed was 56 km/hr, max wind speed was 81 km/hr which according to the Beaufort scale is a severe gale. Great day for my disc!

With those winds, and IM's current risk aversion, the race will probably be a 50km cycle, with only box section rims allowed (don't I feel old remembering them), followed by a 42km run, unless of course you get your 38 degree day as well, in which case it'll only be about 20km. :)

7 hours ago, KieranR said:

KieranR -681

RBR - 227

ZED - 234

Prizna - 452

Katz - 1008

Stikman - ?

Ironnerd - 14-009

Willie - ?

FFF- ?

BigRig 1017

Kiwinoz 291

On 14/11/2018 at 6:44 AM, Katz said:

I’d really like there to be no rain till I’m on the run. Me plus TT bike plus rain plus wind is an awful, awful combo. 

On the plus side, there's no corners or hills or mud 😎

• Like 1

Guest FFF1077

I just wanted to say it all again. 

Not because I feel like I have to, because I ****ing want to. 

Thanks very much for all the help you have given me in this adventure. All involved deserve 1000 hugs and I am really humbled. 

I often think about who's helped, reached out(not around @KieranR😂) and tried to settle my head and offer years of experience in kind words.

This is really cool. Really cool. And it's because of a group of people who I haven't ever met ffs..? Crazy. Really amazing. This site can move mountains. 

@willie I know you are busy building and maintaining your business but I apologise for any undue stress that I have caused in the past few months, especially the past few weeks.

I'm really excited about this. I have let go of the time goals I had and I will just be out there having fun, geeking out on the day. 

When I was in the midst of the 21hr weeks I lost sight of the end goal and having never trained like this I was going through emotional stuff and physical stuff that I can't explain. But because of the week or so I was sick I've dropped 18 CTL and can think clearly, and I would describe the process as a thing of beauty and I can really see how people get hooked. The MKC program is like a symphony of endurance and strength, to get me in the shape I'm in now off an extended break is masterful. If I had eaten better and been more patient then I would be leaner and probably would have avoided the illness. It has me wondering if off a consistent "off season" I would be able to complete the program as it should be 🤔🤔🤔 see what I mean about addictive 😂😂😂 how quickly I forget. But any further races will have to be carefully considered before entering.... I have other fish to fry first 😉🤐

And finally for today, if your phone rings and Willie asks you if you want an Ironman entry..... 

Ffs say YES! 

You won't regret it 😎✌️❤️

Guest FFF1077
5 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

With those winds, and IM's current risk aversion, the race will probably be a 50km cycle, with only box section rims allowed (don't I feel old remembering them), followed by a 42km run, unless of course you get your 38 degree day as well, in which case it'll only be about 20km. :)

**** it 

Let's go straight to the beer Mile... Geez 

13 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

I'm really excited about this. I have let go of the time goals I had and I will just be out there having fun, geeking out on the day. 

I expect you to take a significant amount of time eyeballing all the bikes in transition. It was unreal to see the kit that everyone brings. I didn't intend to but spent over an hour just checking out setups, and how people manage their chosen equipment. Very very cool.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, xblane said:

I expect you to take a significant amount of time eyeballing all the bikes in transition. It was unreal to see the kit that everyone brings. I didn't intend to but spent over an hour just checking out setups, and how people manage their chosen equipment. Very very cool.

If you ever get a chance its worth volunteering in T1, seeing how everyone handles that transition is a real eye opener.

I know this has nothing to do with bikes but it's just another part of that whole process that a lot of people dont see.

1 hour ago, Stikman said:

I've been trying to get into the women's change tent for years.

I can assure you, there is nothing glamorous or otherwise going on in the women tent which might be worth seeing.