Jump to content
willie

Karl Stefanovic backs us

Recommended Posts

That is just common sense stuff IJ!  Pity more don't have it.

The Lycra crowd get all the fury regarding cycling, and yes, some are dicks (I've ridden with some, once, and never again).  But I feel we're also taking the brunt for all cyclists, and the average everyday commuter that I see breaks so many more laws and such.  I see them going on and off curbs and footpaths, through lights and stop signs, no helmets. Kids mucking about, even in busy roads.  Riding the wrong way down streets.  We will never ever be able to get them following the rules so this discussion is never going to end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, goughy said:

That is just common sense stuff IJ!  Pity more don't have it.

The Lycra crowd get all the fury regarding cycling, and yes, some are dicks (I've ridden with some, once, and never again).  But I feel we're also taking the brunt for all cyclists, and the average everyday commuter that I see breaks so many more laws and such.  I see them going on and off curbs and footpaths, through lights and stop signs, no helmets. Kids mucking about, even in busy roads.  Riding the wrong way down streets.  We will never ever be able to get them following the rules so this discussion is never going to end.

And the absurdity of calls for registration and number plates is that the same haters would still hate just as much

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it will make no difference to them at all.  They'll just move on to the next thing they can find to complain about.  There is no way to stop this argument (there is no way we're going to get the infrastructure that other countries have), but while the media likes to keep the fight going we're gonna have to put up with the real dicks being egged on to doing something dangerous to risk our lives.  The reality is, the majority don't really care, even if they say they do.  It's those few stupid ones that we have to watch out for.  Same as it's those few stupid cyclists that are making things worse for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep

Its the small minority of idiots who see the rest of us tarred with the same brush

And it's the small minority of idiots in cars who do stupid things

Unfortunately though, those things put us in mortal danger

What do we do though?  Ban cars?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was compelled to report an incident to the police that happened last Sunday 8:45am. Heading North along Princess Hwy Heathcote approx. 400mt before shopping strip. Our small group of three was in formation in the breakdown lane when we safely and legally changed lanes to avoid a parked vehicle. We chose to stay there because the upcoming shopping strip was stacked with parked vehicles also. No problem for a while and one vehicle safely overtook us and moved to the right lane. (3 lane hwy). I have a  Fly 6 rear facing camera which also showed a vehicle in our lane (centre) looming in the distance behind us. The camera clearly shows he made no attempt to change lanes (zero traffic in the 3rd lane) and then avoided me at the very last second with an aggressive blast of his horn and no indicator. IMO he intentionally did what he did with menace and broke several rules. I estimate he passed me within 4 - 6". The outcome could so easily have been tragic.

I have reported the incident but two problems emerged. One was two different officers pointed out we did not return to the breakdown lane after the first parked car. We argued our actions were considered appropriate because changing lanes is a hazardous operation and the circumstances justified staying there for what might have been 200-300mts and we probably would have changed lanes again in front of the same motorist.

Also the vehicle was registered outside the LAC area (Shire) and therefore required significant effort to follow up. We were advised they would have to pass it on to the relevant LAC and they may/may not deem it a priority.

This motorist needs to be held to account but I am not expecting anything.

 

 

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Goodcatch said:

I was compelled to report an incident to the police that happened last Sunday 8:45am. Heading North along Princess Hwy Heathcote approx. 400mt before shopping strip. Our small group of three was in formation in the breakdown lane when we safely and legally changed lanes to avoid a parked vehicle. We chose to stay there because the upcoming shopping strip was stacked with parked vehicles also. No problem for a while and one vehicle safely overtook us and moved to the right lane. (3 lane hwy). I have a  Fly 6 rear facing camera which also showed a vehicle in our lane (centre) looming in the distance behind us. The camera clearly shows he made no attempt to change lanes (zero traffic in the 3rd lane) and then avoided me at the very last second with an aggressive blast of his horn and no indicator. IMO he intentionally did what he did with menace and broke several rules. I estimate he passed me within 4 - 6". The outcome could so easily have been tragic.

I have reported the incident but two problems emerged. One was two different officers pointed out we did not return to the breakdown lane after the first parked car. We argued our actions were considered appropriate because changing lanes is a hazardous operation and the circumstances justified staying there for what might have been 200-300mts and we probably would have changed lanes again in front of the same motorist.

Also the vehicle was registered outside the LAC area (Shire) and therefore required significant effort to follow up. We were advised they would have to pass it on to the relevant LAC and they may/may not deem it a priority.

This motorist needs to be held to account but I am not expecting anything.

Look closely at the fly 6 footage and I think you will find it was Karl Stefanovic driving that car. :)

Good stuff reporting the incident. 6 inches is nowhere the "metre matters" measurement; you would think the driver has to be pursued.  At the very worst the car's license plate are on the record. How long did you have to spend at the police station?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Goodcatch said:

I was compelled to report an incident to the police that happened last Sunday 8:45am. Heading North along Princess Hwy Heathcote approx. 400mt before shopping strip. Our small group of three was in formation in the breakdown lane when we safely and legally changed lanes to avoid a parked vehicle. We chose to stay there because the upcoming shopping strip was stacked with parked vehicles also. No problem for a while and one vehicle safely overtook us and moved to the right lane. (3 lane hwy). I have a  Fly 6 rear facing camera which also showed a vehicle in our lane (centre) looming in the distance behind us. The camera clearly shows he made no attempt to change lanes (zero traffic in the 3rd lane) and then avoided me at the very last second with an aggressive blast of his horn and no indicator. IMO he intentionally did what he did with menace and broke several rules. I estimate he passed me within 4 - 6". The outcome could so easily have been tragic.

I have reported the incident but two problems emerged. One was two different officers pointed out we did not return to the breakdown lane after the first parked car. We argued our actions were considered appropriate because changing lanes is a hazardous operation and the circumstances justified staying there for what might have been 200-300mts and we probably would have changed lanes again in front of the same motorist.

Also the vehicle was registered outside the LAC area (Shire) and therefore required significant effort to follow up. We were advised they would have to pass it on to the relevant LAC and they may/may not deem it a priority.

This motorist needs to be held to account but I am not expecting anything.

 

 

 

Maybe do some proactive following up and they wont have to do some tragic cleaning up and next of kin visits in future...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goodcatch, which station did you go to?  There is one in the Shire that hates cyclists and told a friend of mine that was car doored they want us off the road.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Slowlane said:

Goodcatch, which station did you go to?  There is one in the Shire that hates cyclists and told a friend of mine that was car doored they want us off the road.

Sutherland - the closest to the incident. I also went there twice - first time on Monday and the officer kinda suggested I go away and think about it (but my option) but did say he was more than happy to have me come back and second time on the Wednesday when  I made a statement. Both times about an hour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've heard it on good authority that one reason cops won't follow up even with video evidence is it's hard to prove who was driving the car. Just the Rego isn't enough because the owner of the car can deny it was them driving and then the cops have nowhere else to go with the complaint.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't mean to hijack this thread but to be fair I've just this minute been contacted by Sutho Police Stn and advised of event number and that they will be passing on to relevant LAC. The Constable advised me he would contact me in a couple of weeks to advise/update me on outcome. 

Fingers crossed.

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, A2K said:

I've heard it on good authority that one reason cops won't follow up even with video evidence is it's hard to prove who was driving the car. Just the Rego isn't enough because the owner of the car can deny it was them driving and then the cops have nowhere else to go with the complaint.

If the driver cannot be identified, then the owner is/or should be responsible to take conviction or name the driver. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/05/2018 at 10:29 AM, Fitness Buddy said:

-take pics while riding (see this a bit too).  Plain ****ing stupid if you ask me.  Give it time and your instagram pic could land you in trouble.  

 

at least ill look fkn schmick when im in trouble

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, iFoz said:

If the driver cannot be identified, then the owner is/or should be responsible to take conviction or name the driver. 

Agreed but as it stands it's not the same as speeding for example. It SHOULD be this way but it's not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s about behaviour and culture. The car side and the bike side are not capable of doing it.

law enforcement and politicians need to show leadership.

if hell ride are out being stupid follow book them all. They will soon change.

follow up cases like above. Put a bit of presence out during commute hour and book or at least warn people driving too close

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a friend who was doored by a Highway Patrol cop while she was riding in the cycle lane at waterfall. He charged her for not riding in lane one of what is essentially a freeway, stated he was parked in a breakdown lane and shouldn't have reasonably expected a bike to ride next to his car. despite it having ****ing bicycles painted on the road. He lost. Had to pay for her bike etc.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Parkside said:

Had a friend who was doored by a Highway Patrol cop while she was riding in the cycle lane at waterfall. He charged her for not riding in lane one of what is essentially a freeway, stated he was parked in a breakdown lane and shouldn't have reasonably expected a bike to ride next to his car. despite it having ****ing bicycles painted on the road. He lost. Had to pay for her bike etc.

Coppers can be the worst offenders a lot of the time, the one above seems like he was a little embarrased and good on her for fighting it. I had a crash not too long ago and a comment the cop made was along the lines of "you should really shouldn't ride on the road if you don't have the skills necessary to avoid and incident like this". 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/06/2018 at 2:30 PM, Goodcatch said:

Didn't mean to hijack this thread but to be fair I've just this minute been contacted by Sutho Police Stn and advised of event number and that they will be passing on to relevant LAC. The Constable advised me he would contact me in a couple of weeks to advise/update me on outcome. 

Fingers crossed.

 

That was going to be my next suggestion, go straight to the LAC. When the first operation Pedro was on two officers from this station spent 2 hours pulling 100's of people over and taking their details for not riding in the bike lane. Almost everyone they pulled over (including me) pointed out that it was not in fact a bike lane but a road shoulder.  Haven't seen them back there since. I'm guessing they went back and looked up the road rules about bike lanes. 

 

The girl Parkside mentioned that was car doored by a cop wasn't charged but the cop refused to take responsibility and said it was her fault. A friend we run with who is a police sergeant told us to go straight to the LAC. As soon as she did they accepted responsibility and paid for her bike repairs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/06/2018 at 1:22 AM, goughy said:

That is just common sense stuff IJ!  Pity more don't have it.

The Lycra crowd get all the fury regarding cycling, and yes, some are dicks (I've ridden with some, once, and never again).  But I feel we're also taking the brunt for all cyclists, and the average everyday commuter that I see breaks so many more laws and such.  I see them going on and off curbs and footpaths, through lights and stop signs, no helmets. Kids mucking about, even in busy roads.  Riding the wrong way down streets.  We will never ever be able to get them following the rules so this discussion is never going to end.

Car drivers run many more refs and stops than bike riders with much worse impact when things go wrong.

car drivers dont try to get other car drivers bannef

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, that's stock standard.  They are lazy and appalling around my place.  I have 4k of uphill twisting highway to town, and at least every second trip (if not every) I see a car cross the double whites just being careless, usually at the blind corners.  Some cars have done it so often I've had to go them to alert them.  But you put people in a small metal box and the world doesn't exist outside that box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Slowlane said:

That was going to be my next suggestion, go straight to the LAC. When the first operation Pedro was on two officers from this station spent 2 hours pulling 100's of people over and taking their details for not riding in the bike lane. Almost everyone they pulled over (including me) pointed out that it was not in fact a bike lane but a road shoulder.  Haven't seen them back there since. I'm guessing they went back and looked up the road rules about bike lanes. 

 

The girl Parkside mentioned that was car doored by a cop wasn't charged but the cop refused to take responsibility and said it was her fault. A friend we run with who is a police sergeant told us to go straight to the LAC. As soon as she did they accepted responsibility and paid for her bike repairs.

Sorry, maybe just vagueness on my part, but what is LAC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, bRace said:

Sorry, maybe just vagueness on my part, but what is LAC?

Local Area Command?i think its a bigger station with more serious coppers and usually located right next to Donut King..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, pieman said:

Local Area Command?i think its a bigger station with more serious coppers and usually located right next to Donut King..

Cool thanks, thought it might be something like that. Mustn't have had enough brushes with the law in my youth. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting that the NSW govt is going to waive rego fees for cars that pay over a certain amount in tolls each year. 

So how will that now effect the "no rego- get off the road" argument??  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, roxii said:

Interesting that the NSW govt is going to waive rego fees for cars that pay over a certain amount in tolls each year. 

So how will that now effect the "no rego- get off the road" argument??  

Wow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×