willie

Karl Stefanovic backs us

The only solution I can see is to get such a huge number of people cycling on the road so that everyone intimately knows someone that rides.

Some people will never been convinced by an opposing argument, no matter how well structured.

• Like 2

Mods, can you move this thread to the official Karl Stefanovic thread I started a few years ago please.

Mods, can we delete the thread so we can get back to B@W and AP arguing etc. 

Surely someone needs a new bike? Geez.... LOL 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, and all the motorists will firmly believe this is just propaganda from cyclists.

None of this is any good!  And nothing is gonna change

What if you come up behind a slower cyclist? When are you allowed to pass? 

21 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

Most will just ride past you when it's safe.

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

7 minutes ago, Peter said:

Most will just ride past you when it's safe.

3 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Exactly.  

Come on FB. You don't have to have a go at FFF as well.

Leave that to the experts.

• Haha 1

Honest question to all who ride on the road.  

How many risks do you take when riding?  

- descend like you are the only one of the road.  

- try and beat the lights (i see this a bit and it frustrates me) 

- ride next to parked cars (i allow a door width just in case)

-take pics while riding (see this a bit too).  Plain ****ing stupid if you ask me.  Give it time and your instagram pic could land you in trouble.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

-take pics while riding (see this a bit too).  Plain ****ing stupid if you ask me.  Give it time and your instagram pic could land you in trouble.  

Is it just me or doors seem to open a lot wider these days? I rode past a car the other day and had given a wide berth but I swear the door just kept going and going...

9 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

- I descend as fast as humanly possible, but not too fast that I'm unsure of maintaining control

- I'll only try to beat the lights if I know I'll get across before they turn red.  Never run a red

- Never trust a car door (or a blinker)

- Don't pic while mobile, although admittedly I might if I had a GoPro

23 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

- I descend as fast as humanly possible, but not too fast that I'm unsure of maintaining control

- I'll only try to beat the lights if I know I'll get across before they turn red.  Never run a red

Same here 

24 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Just now, FFF1077 said:

Same here 

Me too. The only point I'll add is that when passing parked cars, I always try to see if there's anybody in them, and when I see a car waiting to turn in front of me, I look at their face and try to make eye contact.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

I ride hill repeats in the rain. I don't care about the poor visibility and cars not seeing me. It's a mental thing. I think it will never happen to me because the Kona gods will protect me.

If I do get hit, I'll go see a Chinese spiritual healer. That guy will have me back training in no time. Just look what he was able to do for Daniel Son

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Me too. The only point I'll add is that when passing parked cars, I always try to see if there's anybody in them, and when I see a car waiting to turn in front of me, I look at their face and try to make eye contact.

Yeah, I don't trust the lack of a head in a car either.  There might be a sheila in it picking up her handbag off the floor

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Descend as fast as possible within my skill level and appropriate to weather, road condition, traffic, likelihood of wildlife.

Never race the lights. Only go through orange if shielded by a vehicle doing the same.

Hypervigilant with parked cars and give >door width.

Never take pics riding. Not self absorbed enough to take the risk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Yeah, I don't trust the lack of a head in a car either.  There might be a sheila in it picking up her handbag off the floor

It wasn't so much the car dooring, but the car pulling out without indicating that I was referencing here. I always ride as wide as practical around parked cars.

Me too as with what IronJimbo says.

Also I always give cars a wave to thank them for pausing, or any delay I force upon then etc etc. it hope.fully helps give us a better name etc. We aren’t all a-holes! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, IronmanFoz said:

Me too as with what IronJimbo says.

Also I always give cars a wave to thank them for pausing, or any delay I force upon then etc etc. it hope.fully helps give us a better name etc. We aren’t all a-holes! 

Agree. After having a gun pulled on me in Frankganistan in 1998, I never have a pop at drivers. Respect breeds respect. Eye contact, a wave, an acknowledgement and not being an a-hole should change the situation for the better. 

Karl doesnt really care, he'll do anything to get a reaction.  In his early street reporting days he was known as Canvas Back Karl. 

Edited by Merv
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

We all take some risk just walking out the door and going for ride. But to address your questions: 

decend! Have you seen where I live? Pancake flat. The only hill around here is the ramp to the underground car park at Kmart!  

Beat the lights. Not a chance. Two reasons. Melbourne drivers and my knees. No chance of me getting out of the saddle to sprint. Lol.

parked cars. Only risk that we all encounter. My thing is to give them a wide birth and watch like a hawk. Been doored once in 30 something years of riding. Few bruises, nothing broken. 

Take pics while riding. Who and how the fark they can do it is beyond me. Dumbest thing I've ever heard or seen. 

33 minutes ago, Greyman said:

parked cars. Only risk that we all encounter. My thing is to give them a wide birth and watch like a hawk. Been doored once in 30 something years of riding. Few bruises, nothing broken. 

I had to have a discussion with Plod in Sydney back when I rode on the roads. There's a painted cycle path (no physical seperation) that runs flat bang next to a bunch of parked cars. I decided it was unsafe ("impracticable") for me to ride in it and was pulled over by the cops. He told me that he considered it safe and "practicable" for me to be in the bike lane and I disagreed. This went on for a short while until I left. I remember telling him that his opinion didn't really count as he wasn't the one tootling along at 50kmh on a bike (yeah it was downhill).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Agree. After having a gun pulled on me in Frankganistan in 1998, I never have a pop at drivers. Respect breeds respect. Eye contact, a wave, an acknowledgement and not being an a-hole should change the situation for the better. 

It's more a reflection that the first step in solving any problem is stopping it from getting any worse

Not running red lights and the like might not be a cure, but the less we do that sort of thing, the less reasons motorists will have to hate us

• Like 1