bortho

Cairns 2018

Just now, goughy said:

Do you take care of that stuff yourself, or have you had much help in the way of bike fitting etc?

I've had a bike fit with local guy here in Melb. I think the issue is that 180-200k rides here include stopping at lights etc. Quite a bit which means that I probably never truly ride 180k in the aerobars without micro recoveries. There is also the possibility that the issue is deeper than that. No racing till August now for me, so I'll be spending time with a physio I trust to work on loosening uo my chronically tight back. Will likely need to look at my setup in the office too in order to make sure sitting at the desk isn't exacerbating things further

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, lachie94 said:

I've had a bike fit with local guy here in Melb. I think the issue is that 180-200k rides here include stopping at lights etc. Quite a bit which means that I probably never truly ride 180k in the aerobars without micro recoveries. There is also the possibility that the issue is deeper than that. No racing till August now for me, so I'll be spending time with a physio I trust to work on loosening uo my chronically tight back. Will likely need to look at my setup in the office too in order to make sure sitting at the desk isn't exacerbating things further

Stand up desk. 

52 minutes ago, lachie94 said:

Bad luck mate, been a hell of a season for you. 

Good luck with the recovery and research. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

How bout Beth running a 2.55.  Impressive. 

2.55? how?

Edited by Prince

22 minutes ago, Prince said:

2.55? how?

Jumping on my wheel for the final 10km of the bike leg certainly would have helped 😛

Edited by Hoffy86

14 minutes ago, Hoffy86 said:

Jumping on my wheel for the final 10km of the bike leg certainly would have helped 😛

so Cairns was a draft fest..??

Edited by pieman

6 minutes ago, pieman said:

so her cheating knows no limits..?

Easy there Pieman. Just being a bit provocative. She was no closer than every other age-group pace-line.

Edited by Hoffy86
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hoffy86 said:

Easy there Pieman. Just being a bit provocative. She was no closer than every other age-group pace-line.

Edited my previous

11 minutes ago, pieman said:

so Cairns was a draft fest..??

The last 15km into Cairns there are zero TOs because of the traffic it's too dangerous. So apparently there were massive trains. I was by myself so didn't see any, just heard about them after the race.  2 guys got pinged earlier for sitting on my wheel, I thought I was by myself, then heard the harley just sitting there behind me wondered what he was doing, looked and he was carding people! Some guy from perth too.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ruley said:

I reckon Kevin Spacey will make a similiar kind of comeback

She actually said she was done with triathlon too. 

13 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Not taking the piss. I want to see her there & racing. She earned her spot & good on her. 

Is your point, she's served her ban let her race or she should have never been banned in the first place?

4 hours ago, lachie94 said:

I've had a bike fit with local guy here in Melb. I think the issue is that 180-200k rides here include stopping at lights etc. Quite a bit which means that I probably never truly ride 180k in the aerobars without micro recoveries. 

I have managed to find myself a good stretch of road on the Sunshine Coast which is a tad over 4km long without traffic lights, a good wide shoulder and smooth surface, undulating so you can get out of the saddle, and at each turn point there is a separate turning lane.  Traffic is not too busy except the 8-9am peak but because you feel safe on the shoulder, there is no worry about traffic.  The only problem is boredom when I do 14 loops of the 8km circuit plus a couple of km to and from home.

For those interested, it is the Tanawha Tourist Drive between Sawreys Rd and Crosby Hill Rd.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Prince said:

2.55? how?

Maybe she's born with it?  Maybe it's ostarine?

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, zed said:

The last 15km into Cairns there are zero TOs because of the traffic it's too dangerous. So apparently there were massive trains. I was by myself so didn't see any, just heard about them after the race.  2 guys got pinged earlier for sitting on my wheel, I thought I was by myself, then heard the harley just sitting there behind me wondered what he was doing, looked and he was carding people! Some guy from perth too.

Big packs have always formed south of Palm Cove, i believe its the narrow nature of the path to cycle on brings people together and than lack of TO's keeps them all together.  First year i havent raced, but past years i have been chewed up and spat out by packs of 20+ riders.  I even got passed by an individual last year who said don't look back, so i looked back and saw a huge pack of riders, 2 abreast and was quickly swallowed up.  considering there can be a solid headwind back into town, would be a huge advantage coming off the bike into the run.

Note this is all 70.3 experience, cant speak for the Full Ironman. 

Just now, Pencil_Towel said:

Big packs have always formed south of Palm Cove, i believe its the narrow nature of the path to cycle on brings people together and than lack of TO's keeps them all together.  First year i havent raced, but past years i have been chewed up and spat out by packs of 20+ riders.  I even got passed by an individual last year who said don't look back, so i looked back and saw a huge pack of riders, 2 abreast and was quickly swallowed up.  considering there can be a solid headwind back into town, would be a huge advantage coming off the bike into the run.

Note this is all 70.3 experience, cant speak for the Full Ironman. 

Yeah I did the 70.3. I'd imagine the full would be worse. 

Not much drafting for the first 60kms as there isn't much advantage or opportunity on the palm cove North section.

48 minutes ago, zed said:

I agree it's dangerous for the TOs through that point but in my one race i definitely had a TO go past me there.  I think it's more the point they get one pass through that area so have to time it.  

On the flip side I've never seen a TO from lake cathie into port in my two races there either.  

Regardless of TO being around you'll always get 3 types of competitor on the bike. 

Blatant drafters

People playing the game

Over cautious people sitting 20m back.

The third category will always rate the two above as drafters.  I'd suggest hoffy was hanging around people playing the game by his explanation of Beth/other age groupers.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, zed said:

Yeah I did the 70.3. I'd imagine the full would be worse. 

Not much drafting for the first 60kms as there isn't much advantage or opportunity on the palm cove North section.

Agreed, no advantage north of Palm Cove.  In fact i feel thats one of the best bike sections in australian triathlons.  Breaks people up as peoples biking are often more exposed.  Was the swim waves moving from AG to Time supposed to help bike congestion or allow swimmers to swim with people of their own ability so not to be swum over by packs of better swimmers?

Did Any Tranny back fill the Roll Down Reporting duties, (since I wasn’t in Cairns) ?

Which AG rolled and how far?

25 minutes ago, Pencil_Towel said:

Agreed, no advantage north of Palm Cove.  In fact i feel thats one of the best bike sections in australian triathlons.  Breaks people up as peoples biking are often more exposed.  Was the swim waves moving from AG to Time supposed to help bike congestion or allow swimmers to swim with people of their own ability so not to be swum over by packs of better swimmers?

It was a bit stressful as there were TOs everywhere on the Palm Cove section and a lot of people were within the 12m, not drafting, but some people were quicker at descending/ascending than others, so you constantly had people overtaking then dropping back. I guess in theory they were drafting, but didn't see anyone in the penalty tent up in the hills so I guess the TOs were using their common sense. 

I found the bike leg harder than expected. Hills, rough tarmac, wind plus some tyre issues... great course though. 

I'm not sure why they choose rolling starts over mass starts/age group starts. I prefer rolling. You do Busso and your wave goes 5 mins after the 50-54 F, it's carnage.. I think if IMWA was still round the jetty I'd opt for mass start though. Rolling start worked well for Cairns. A lot of people struggled in the chop. And that was the flattest I'd seen Palm cove all week! 

Rolling starts work pretty well for breaking up drafting, especially in Busso. Apparently there were trains of 30+ heading back into town for the 70.3, but very few people around me, small groups of 2 or 3.

A couple of people mentioned the hard concrete there posed  a problem for the run leg. Apparently bitumen has more give,  they feel the same to me! Anyway quite a few opted for more cushioned shoes, I only had my hyperspeed racing flats and was pretty sore after 7kms. Everything hurt after the end of the run.. felt like I'd been running barefoot.

Edited by zed
  • Thanks 1

Not sure if anyone knows Durianrider (troll) he was there...

As a former TO there are always areas where the race ref tells the motorbikes to not go. 

For example at ironman melbourne we could only use the freeway. Never the road to and from t1 and freeway. It was too tight. 

At busso we were always told not in town. 

Shep was similar. 

its a safety think. 

5 hours ago, lachie94 said:

I asked my physio which type of chair would be best to sit on at work, and he replied 'about 6 different ones each day'.

That awkward moment when a tweet from a few years ago appears.

Screenshot_2018-06-11-13-31-37.png

• Thanks 1