bortho

Cairns 2018

10 minutes ago, zed said:

ha ha yeah OK.

So how about those Sea Eagles hey? Great game!

NFI I follow afl and am a brisbane lions fan, ill give you a hot tip.  3 straight premierships doesn't make up for 16 years of pain.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Pencil_Towel said:

Might derail this thread a tad, but i have never been able to understand the mind set of people on social media trolling, bagging, disrespecting, call it what you will things they should not follow.  Like people who follow sporting teams that are their favourite and just bag out their supporters etc, makes no sense to me, i think this bloke should just hit the unfollow button and move on.

I was a huge LA fan, father passed away from cancer when i was young and actively followed and supported him and his charity, since he was outed on drugs, i simply stop following the man. thought he was a fraud/lier, i didn't feel the need to troll and i have never felt that need.  I just dont undertsand it.

Because most of the time we're just an online name and typing something is so much easier than saying it to someone's face.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Because most of the time we're just an online name and typing something is so much easier than saying it to someone's face.

But when they have their real name on Twitter for example and they say something, they get bagged big time

Uh oh ST have got hold of that tweet now...

6 minutes ago, zed said:

Uh oh ST have got hold of that tweet now...

Imagine if 4th had been <20sec behind her.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

13 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Imagine if 4th had been <20sec behind her.

Ha ha yeah

1 hour ago, Pencil_Towel said:

Might derail this thread a tad, but i have never been able to understand the mind set of people on social media trolling, bagging, disrespecting, call it what you will things they should not follow.  Like people who follow sporting teams that are their favourite and just bag out their supporters etc, makes no sense to me, i think this bloke should just hit the unfollow button and move on.

I was a huge LA fan, father passed away from cancer when i was young and actively followed and supported him and his charity, since he was outed on drugs, i simply stop following the man. thought he was a fraud/lier, i didn't feel the need to troll and i have never felt that need.  I just dont undertsand it.

A statement that doesn't follow the crowd is often referred to as trolling. What is the issue with saying something that isn't nice? An opposing view has value, it provides balance in discussions.

2 minutes ago, prizna said:

A statement that doesn't follow the crowd is often referred to as trolling. What is the issue with saying something that isn't nice? An opposing view has value, it provides balance in discussions.

old people call it being a "flea"

39 minutes ago, prizna said:

Exactly. 

39 minutes ago, prizna said:

Totally agree, difference of opinions helps to broaden understanidng, i meant in the sense when people try to degrade others just for the 'sport' of it.  Who could be bothered???? No shirt steve comment was quite tame for what ive seen, and not angled at him, hence why i thought it might derail the discussion. 

12 minutes ago, Pencil_Towel said:

Totally agree, difference of opinions helps to broaden understanidng, i meant in the sense when people try to degrade others just for the 'sport' of it.  Who could be bothered???? No shirt steve comment was quite tame for what ive seen, and not angled at him, hence why i thought it might derail the discussion. 

Yeah I agree. I don't think there's anything wrong with publicly criticising Beth, but do it without vitriol. And Luke needs to pull his head out of his arse. Nothing wrong at all with Caroline Gregory's tweet.

Edited by zed

Doping standards are clear, strict liability. Why anyone would risk a career for a supplement that most likely does nothing, and if it does it is probably a banned substance? http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2012/07/dietary_supplements_at_the_olympics_why_athletes_risk_false_drug_charges_.html

The triathlon community has no issues hating on Weiss. https://www.slowtwitch.com/News/2_year_ban_for_Michael_Weiss_2476.html He believes he is innocent. 

The Mckenzie case polarises. No Shirt Steve seems crass. Not sure in the position Mckenzie finds her self that she should try to take the high ground, maybe stay silent. As a couple they seem to be making it easy for the haters. Continue to perform, try and clear name or accept and admit wrong doing.

The tainted supplement goes back to Diego, though he was probably lighting up the party pills too:

https://blog.strength.com/2017/03/11/5-world-class-athletes-shamed-tainted-supplements/

;

5 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

The Mckenzie case polarises. No Shirt Steve seems crass. Not sure in the position Mckenzie finds her self that she should try to take the high ground, maybe stay silent. As a couple they seem to be making it easy for the haters. Continue to perform, try and clear name or accept and admit wrong doing.

;

Definitely. Stay silent and get off the social media circus. You would think they'd seek advice, legal or otherwise on how to act on social media and internet in general. Beth should hide her husbands phone and laptop for starters...

5 minutes ago, zed said:

Definitely. Stay silent and get off the social media circus. You would think they'd seek advice, legal or otherwise on how to act on social media and internet in general. Beth should hide her husbands phone and laptop for starters...

The response to that lady was poor. It's one of those things, you got popped, every one in history has a sob story, some of them are probably true. The doping code is clear, you are responsible for what is in your body. As a pro making a living and then also building a brand, you would want to be 100 % confident of what is going in. Supplements are not well regulated.

25 minutes ago, zed said:

They cant really do that though can they as the circus is one of the key mediums to reach your fans, plug your sponsors, and in this case your own clothing line...

Even if she does go off the radar and doesn't see it, she's in a no win situation with the public.  They either love her as being inspirational (lots of pro athletes (better known than the one who retweeted her) giving her kudos) or hate her and will boycott her company, her sponsors etc just on principal (pretty sad and futile if you ask me..).

All her results from now on will be tainted with an * and their own thread on ST so she probably is best off retiring if that is going to get to her/them...

Anyway, I cant believe this has taken us off topic from the awesome performances of Currie, Gomez and the new unknown girl Adam... 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, pieman said:

Anyway, I cant believe this has taken us off topic from the awesome performances of Currie, Gomez and the new unknown girl Adam... 

Teresa Adam was 2nd at IMNZ this year and comes from an ITU background

2 hours ago, pieman said:

Pretty exciting if we can get Brownlee and Gomez racing together. That will done wonders for the profile of Ironman. The Brownlees are a household name in the UK, which is unbelievable for such a small sport 

Edited by zed
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, zed said:

Pretty exciting if we can get Brownlee and Gomez racing together. That will done wonders for the profile of Ironman. The Brownlees are a household name in the UK, which is unbelievable for such a small sport 

AB will never do Kona. 

If he did he wouldn’t even top 10. 

You can quote me on that. He is too injury prone 

2 minutes ago, Peter said:

AB will never do Kona. 

If he did he wouldn’t even top 10. 

You can quote me on that. He is too injury prone 

Possibly, but the training for Ironman is completely different, much less intensity than ITU racing, more volume but the lower intensity would be much kinder on the body. And 2 of his most serious injuries were accidents, one from being attacked by a dog!

And I seem to remember the last time you said "You can quote me on that." it was in reference to 2017 being the final year of IMWA.... His goal is Ironman and if his goal is Ironman his ultimate goal will be Kona. 

Just now, Peter said:

They haven’t run 2018 yet. 

ha ha OK. That is true. 

13 minutes ago, zed said:

And I seem to remember the last time you said "You can quote me on that." it was in reference to 2017 being the final year of IMWA.... His goal is Ironman and if his goal is Ironman his ultimate goal will be Kona. 

& they didn't run an Ironman. It's basically a long course duathlon now. When was they last time they ran a full distance triathlon in Busso

29 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

& they didn't run an Ironman. It's basically a long course duathlon now. When was they last time they ran a full distance triathlon in Busso

Pistol Pete reckoned there wouldn't be a 2018 IMWA at all. There's one planned, lets see how it pans out. 

I haven't bothered reading previous pages to find out what has been said 

But just arrived back from Cairns and have to say it was the most exciting race to watch for a few years - top class field racing courageously - the pace they were running in the first loop was unbelievable 

Rinny chased hard and it looked like around 30km she decided she wasn't going to close the gap - I was taking splits each time they passed and she got withing 4min 30sec 

The wind was pretty strong on the way back to Cairns - the flags were flying straight out pointing to Port Douglas 

2 minutes ago, AP said:

I haven't bothered reading previous pages to find out what has been said 

But just arrived back from Cairns and have to say it was the most exciting race to watch for a few years - top class field racing courageously - the pace they were running in the first loop was unbelievable 

Rinny chased hard and it looked like around 30km she decided she wasn't going to close the gap - I was taking splits each time they passed and she got withing 4min 30sec 

The wind was pretty strong on the way back to Cairns - the flags were flying straight out pointing to Port Douglas 

The live video coverage was awesome. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

The live video coverage was awesome. 

I just wish I could have found it.

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I just wish I could have found it.

Good to see coffs Pete make the video and the finish 

6B84F878-4AC5-4E7D-A44A-7DA39433664D.png

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, trilobite said:

Love this guy’s name

E3B0D370-622E-4604-B204-AAD464DD2872.png

What were you searching for when you found this?

Edited by Waza
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Peter said:

I made it in to the video!

Where did you find this mate?

Edited by Hoffy86

1 hour ago, Waza said:

Those were my thoughts exactly🤣

7 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Did they have XC category at Ironman Cairns?

Nope. None in Australia 

1 hour ago, Waza said:

I must have mistaken the IM results page for another site...

Looks pretty rough for the swim....surprised it wasn't cancelled.

54 minutes ago, softy said:

They are smart. Dirty water so no one can see the sharks or crocs 

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

Did they have XC category at Ironman Cairns?

soon with all the gender identity stuff they'll have to have a x? category too for pro's who dont identify as male or female

Not sure, but there seemed to be almost no one st the finish line for the latecomers. Only a handful. 

What was the finish line like ?

FM

2 hours ago, softy said:

It would have been if it was in WA.

A few peeps got pulled from the swim though.

38 minutes ago, Flanman said:

Not sure, but there seemed to be almost no one st the finish line for the latecomers. Only a handful. 

What was the finish line like ?

FM

I thought it was the best of the ones I've done, Busso, Port, Taupo and now Cairns. And yeah the swim was choppy af. And btw Crampfix is the most foul tasting thing I've ever put in my mouth. Was NOT expecting that taste at all. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, A2K said:

I thought it was the best of the ones I've done, Busso, Port, Taupo and now Cairns. And yeah the swim was choppy af. And btw Crampfix is the most foul tasting thing I've ever put in my mouth. Was NOT expecting that taste at all. 

That was horrendous! I thought it was an energy gel, almost threw up and just gagged for about 5 minutes... 

2 hours ago, Ruley said:

soon with all the gender identity stuff they'll have to have a x? category too for pro's who dont identify as male or female

They need a category for those guys who start the race identifying as a male, realise they aren't going to KQ and finish the race as a female. :lol:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zed said:

It would have been if it was in WA.

A few peeps got pulled from the swim though.

Happens at every race. 

Aside from the great battle between Currie and Gomez, and Bozzone's effort to get onto the podium.  I was very impressed with O'Donnell, he is a solid athlete. Doesn;t seem to get the chocolates very often, but is impressive none the least.

12 hours ago, Ruley said:

the question came up years ago. read Baggsy book.

1 hour ago, Pencil_Towel said:

Aside from the great battle between Currie and Gomez, and Bozzone's effort to get onto the podium.  I was very impressed with O'Donnell, he is a solid athlete. Doesn;t seem to get the chocolates very often, but is impressive none the least.

I like how in his results he says if the course was short.

http://timothyodonnell.com/schedule-and-results/