bortho

Cairns 2018

Apologies if I have missed the thread, BUT I am excited!! Cairns is less than 2 weeks away!! YEWWW

Who is doing battle?

Any cool stories of preps for this year?

I will be rolling around for the 2nd time in Cairns, here's hoping for good weather!!

For those who've done it, will I be able to drive to Palm Cove from Cairns on race morning? If so, will my support crew then be able to drive back to Cairns or are the roads closed?

Cheers!

11 minutes ago, lachie94 said:

For those who've done it, will I be able to drive to Palm Cove from Cairns on race morning? If so, will my support crew then be able to drive back to Cairns or are the roads closed?

Cheers!

yes and yes, no problem at all

Although it will be a slow process for the support crew, Ive heard reports of it taking 2-3 hours to get back to cairns for them.

4 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

Although it will be a slow process for the support crew, Ive heard reports of it taking 2-3 hours to get back to cairns for them.

Last year my supporters left at 0900 to go back to Cairns and had zero probs, no whinging about delays either which i thought strange

Any tips for the bike course? I'm doing the 70.3, not much clue about the course. A bit hilly? Is my 11 - 25 cassette going to be fine? Tail wind out for 30km, then headwind back for 60km, is that right? Any sections where you are protected from the wind? 

Edited by zed

Just now, zed said:

Any tips for the bike course? I'm doing the 70.3, not much clue about the course. A bit hilly? Tail wind out for 30km, then headwind back for 60km, is that right? Any sections where you are protected from the wind? 

you've got it pretty spot on - nothing more to add, i dont reckon there is too much protection from the wind on the 70.3 course.

4 hours ago, bortho said:

Apologies if I have missed the thread, BUT I am excited!! Cairns is less than 2 weeks away!! YEWWW

Who is doing battle?

Any cool stories of preps for this year?

I will be rolling around for the 2nd time in Cairns, here's hoping for good weather!!

Not me! I've been dong hill repeats in the rain to prepare for this race 😀In all seriousness though I rode longish on Saturday in Brisbane and it was windy, then it rained. And I thought to myself, good..... I'll be ready if we get that weather at Cairns 😋

I'm in for the full, first one in 5 years.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, zed said:

Any tips for the bike course? I'm doing the 70.3, not much clue about the course. A bit hilly? Is my 11 - 25 cassette going to be fine? Tail wind out for 30km, then headwind back for 60km, is that right? Any sections where you are protected from the wind? 

11-25 will be fine.  Not many hills and nothing too crazy.

My first time doing Cairns and I'm doing the full.  I'm not sure about the 70.3 course but we just drove the section from Palm Cove to Port Douglas, not any really steep hills. The Rex's lookout climb would be the worst and it's not steep just a steady climb. Surprised how undulating it was, there are not too many flat sections, also very twisty in parts.

I was going to ride it tomorrow but it looks way too dangerous, the twisty sections are very narrow and no shoulder to ride on so I think I'll give it a miss. Does anyone know of any good routes to ride heading out from Palm Cove that are less dangerous? 

It's been very windy here the past few days and would be a strong headwind home. Swam part of the course this morning and it was pretty tough conditions with a reasonable swell and choppy.

Edited by etiennevt

3 minutes ago, etiennevt said:

My first time doing Cairns and I'm doing the full.  I'm not sure about the 70.3 course but we just drove the section from Palm Cove to Port Douglas, not any really steep hills. The Rex's lookout climb would be the worst and it's not steep just a steady climb. Surprised how undulating it was, there are not too many flat sections, also very twisty in parts.

I was going to ride it tomorrow but it looks way too dangerous, the twisty sections are very narrow and no shoulder to ride on so I think I'll give it a miss. Does anyone know of any good routes to ride heading out from Palm Cove that are less dangerous? 

It's been very windy here the past few days and would be a strong headwind home. Swam part of the course this morning and it was pretty tough conditions with a reasonable swell and choppy.

Yeah it's strange that the bike splits are so quick. Mates that have done Busso 70.3 4 weeks prior in near perfect conditions have only gone 2 -3 mins slower in Cairns, which sounds heaps slower. 60km with a constant 40 km/hr headwind? Is there heaps of drafting or something??

8 minutes ago, zed said:

Yeah it's strange that the bike splits are so quick. Mates that have done Busso 70.3 4 weeks prior in near perfect conditions have only gone 2 -3 mins slower in Cairns, which sounds heaps slower. 60km with a constant 40 km/hr headwind? Is there heaps of drafting or something??

I agree, after looking at the course today I'm puzzled by the fast times as well as it does not look like an easy course. Be great to hear from people who have done it before. 

I have done the I twice.  The first time was in 2011 when it was Challenge Cairns and the day was perfect. Sunny, no wind, not to hot or humid. The second was in 2013 and it was wet and howling. If you are a strong biker and don't mind the wind too much it is fast because you can bomb it with the tail wind. As someone said the hills arn't too bad and there are some long sweeping down hills that you can get serious speed on even if you are a crap descender like myself. The only tricky down hill is Rex coming back as there is quite a sharp bend on it. You also get to rest or spin your legs on them which makes a massive difference.  For me Busso is a harder cycle as you really don't get any time to rest being totally flat. Some cyclist may like this but for me effort followed by rest means I can remain fresh for longer. Its also amazingly beautiful which helps when things get tough!

4 hours ago, lachie94 said:

Cheers!

Did your support crew get their car sorted?  

I'm also getting over a cold. Just keep doing what you can control Andrew, work on mobility, keeping the weight off and committing to a race plan.

The bike is listed as 178.5km on Multisport. The rollers are much gentler than port so you literally can roll over most. Wind wasn't much of a factor last year, only the last 5km or so, could be very different and if so back off a bit until PD turn around for home. 

I cant remember feeling much effect of wind on the bike last year, has my memory been faded by the copious amounts of beer consumed since last year, or did we get a good year??

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bortho said:

I cant remember feeling much effect of wind on the bike last year, has my memory been faded by the copious amounts of beer consumed since last year, or did we get a good year??

Wind wasn't bad last year in my opinion, was worse in 2016

• Like 1

I did the 70.3 last year on what was a pretty good day weather wise for cairns.

the initial road out of palm cove is bumpy as all hell and has a couple of speed bumps from memory - definitely worth securing your nutrition!

The ride in general is pretty nice - being able to have a peek across the road and into the ocean is a good mental break.

The rolling start means that there were people everywhere - I wouldn't say its dedicated trains of drafters, just clumps of people at the same point on the course at the same time. There is a bit of shade and coverage on the way out to the turn - Rex's is talked about like MFD - reality is if you have done any training other than windtrainer or flat timetrialling you should be able to spin up it without to many dramas!

As above there is a couple of good decents that you get a little chop out from.

Turn around and then work back into Palm Cove is reasonably uneventful - Look for the leading men to be heading out to Port Douglas at a rate of knots with the tailwind.

The last 30km I found hard mentally - you are exposed on the road back to cairns and with traffic flowing alongside, it can make it difficult to get around some of the larger groups. You go from having the whole road to having a shoulder which can be a little frustrating.

The turn off to then go out around the back of the fields before getting back on the road to transition played with my mind as it seemed pointless -  I like the idea of riding to and from somewhere - doing a detour to make up kms to effectively end up back in the same spot felt like a bit of a drag. (we hadn't driven this part of the course so it was probably more of the fact I didn't know where and what to expect then it being completely pointless!)

Back past the airport and then head into transition - couple of roundabouts to negotiate and your done. I think its a course where you have a good opportunity to get what you deserve - if you have done the work you will enjoy it.

15 minutes ago, chappy019 said:

The last 30km I found hard mentally - you are exposed on the road back to cairns and with traffic flowing alongside, it can make it difficult to get around some of the larger groups. You go from having the whole road to having a shoulder which can be a little frustrating.

How does that work with drafting and TOs etc? I would have thought with such little space, drafting would be rife. It gets busy in Busselton and thats with complete road closures.

Edited by zed

im not sure mate - I dont recall seeing a TO come past - as above at that time the Pros would have been making there way to Port Douglas on lap 1 - Id hasten a guess that with maybe 4/5 bikes on course they concentrate on the palm cove to port and back laps for the IM rather than the last 40 mins of 2.45 70.3 bike leg!

1 hour ago, zed said:

How does that work with drafting and TOs etc? I would have thought with such little space, drafting would be rife. It gets busy in Busselton and thats with complete road closures.

I got passed by a TO the year I did it, he was actually driving in the traffic so they monitor that area as well.

I saw no drafting the year i did it but have heard it can be bad.

Ill be there racing, first time in Cairns but lots of racing port/forster/busso. Looking forward to racing a different course!

Any course comparisons between port and cairns wouild be great!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bengillespie78 said:

Ill be there racing, first time in Cairns but lots of racing port/forster/busso. Looking forward to racing a different course!

Any course comparisons between port and cairns wouild be great!

swim 2-3min slower depending on swell

ride 5-10min faster

run about the same

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1