FatPom

Bento box for spares?

Due to my 'special' (read weird) requirements for stretched out/high on the TT bike, I have little seat post showing. I run a BTS bottle for spares but its a PITA as it takes up real estate for race numbers and TTs in the UK require a rear light, which is also a nuisance to attach.

I don't use solid nutrition as a general rule on the TT bike, so I'm thinking of using a bento box for spares, does anyone do this?

Either that, or trying to ram one of these under the saddle

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Specialized/Road-Tube-Spool-Flat-Repair-Kit-with-Inner-Tube-and-CO2-Cartridge/7MMN?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=base&co=GBR&cu=GBP&glCountry=GB&gclid=CjwKCAjwrqnYBRB-EiwAthnBFpi_y6hT9OUT6m6F7-5n8fhAnuVKcwkZoaYgyEPlmNhgqVLL8C0pihoCrNAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Was thinking of doing something similar, for some spares stuff and some nutrition.  Of course, I'd actually have to be riding my bike to make it worth the while.

What's your TT?  Is it one that is setup to bolt one in place like many have now days?  Or do you need one that velcros on?  I was planning on getting one of the xlab ones that is shaped at the front and uses 3 velcro ties to hold it in place.  I think the bottom has some sort of non-slip rubber to stop it sliding backwards.

Yep. I run one on my mtb. 

Slab shaped one, 3 velcro straps.  

i put a tube, co2 and 2 levers in a sandwich size ziploc bag, jam that right up under my seat at the back and affix it with 2 loops of electrical tape...

• Like 1

I have tried using a Bento Box on the underside of the top tube. You can actually put a bento on the top (food) and under (spares).

FM

Cheers all, good suggestions :)  I have the bosses in my top tube, so I can bolt a bento box directly on if needed. Only issue with under saddle is my saddle is somewhat fwd, which makes it a bit restricted due to the edge of the post.

1 hour ago, pieman said:

i put a tube, co2 and 2 levers in a sandwich size ziploc bag, jam that right up under my seat at the back and affix it with 2 loops of electrical tape...

I did similar, but found it a good idea to use one of those soft cloth drawstring bags for sunglasses to put the tube in. That way you are less likely to get a nasty surprise when you get your first flat in 6 months, and find a small rub through on the side of the tube where it pressed against something metallic.

• Like 1

The ism saddle I have seems made for squeezing a tube between it's rails.

FP, if it's got the threaded inserts for a top Bento Box, check your options out.  The bike company probably has one designed to fit.  But 3rd party manufacturers will have them too.  Slab seem to make all their top tube Bento boxes with and without straps, the ones without have the holes for the bolts to go through.  Just need to check the spacing to see if it fits.

Edited by goughy
  • Like 1

On 28/05/2018 at 7:26 AM, FatPom said:

Due to my 'special' (read weird) requirements for stretched out/high on the TT bike, I have little seat post showing. I run a BTS bottle for spares but its a PITA as it takes up real estate for race numbers and TTs in the UK require a rear light, which is also a nuisance to attach.

I don't use solid nutrition as a general rule on the TT bike, so I'm thinking of using a bento box for spares, does anyone do this?

Either that, or trying to ram one of these under the saddle

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Specialized/Road-Tube-Spool-Flat-Repair-Kit-with-Inner-Tube-and-CO2-Cartridge/7MMN?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=base&co=GBR&cu=GBP&glCountry=GB&gclid=CjwKCAjwrqnYBRB-EiwAthnBFpi_y6hT9OUT6m6F7-5n8fhAnuVKcwkZoaYgyEPlmNhgqVLL8C0pihoCrNAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Cant you put something like that in your pocket? 

I could but given I'm the most flexible, flat backed aero study in perfection, I'm not sure I want to spoil that.:whistling:

Edited by FatPom
  • Haha 1

So I have just been thinking about this again recently.  I still have wanted to find an option to put my spares etc on my downtube, but a bit Aero.  My mate uses an aero bottle there too hold his spares, but he had to cut it open to actually get stuff in there, and then take it closed.

I was just thinking about those Aero Bento boxes etc that place like clan make, the ones that are designed to screw into the bosses for bikes that have top tube fitted with them.  Well, what's stopping me from acting one of those into the bottle cage bosses on my downtube, maybe fitted backwards so the higher end is closer to the BB?  Of course I don't know if they will fit the spacing for the screws, and of course it would have to fit at least one tube, say 2 x CO2 and my small inflator and maybe a mini tool.  Anyone have one of the these and can tell me how much they fit in them?

https://www.xlab-usa.com/stealth-pocket-500.html

8 hours ago, goughy said:

So I have just been thinking about this again recently.  I still have wanted to find an option to put my spares etc on my downtube, but a bit Aero.  My mate uses an aero bottle there too hold his spares, but he had to cut it open to actually get stuff in there, and then take it closed.

I was just thinking about those Aero Bento boxes etc that place like clan make, the ones that are designed to screw into the bosses for bikes that have top tube fitted with them.  Well, what's stopping me from acting one of those into the bottle cage bosses on my downtube, maybe fitted backwards so the higher end is closer to the BB?  Of course I don't know if they will fit the spacing for the screws, and of course it would have to fit at least one tube, say 2 x CO2 and my small inflator and maybe a mini tool.  Anyone have one of the these and can tell me how much they fit in them?

https://www.xlab-usa.com/stealth-pocket-500.html

I do that. Fitted to the downtube bosses on my duallie as there isnt room for a bottle. They're not huge tho. 

Do you think they'd fit enough though?  Which clan one do you use?