Paul Every

Perth. Racing, training, etc?

Well, I've made the move west and now looking to establish some regular training and do a few races.

Living in South Perth. My commute is a 30 metre walk. Start work at 7am. I have alternate weekends off work, as well as alternate Fridays and Tuesdays off.

I haven't been running or cycling very much for the last 18 months, so I'm not that fit. I have been doing the occasional long race on base fitness so I'm prepared to go little long with races but would possibly be smashed by a lot of training groups at the moment.

Any recommendations or advice on the following would be welcome:

• Open water swimming groups. 
  • Safe cycling routes and times, including for mid-week rides of 40 to 100km. Any suitable groups?
  • Running? Any stand-out races that are particularly worth doing? Prefer trails but also happy on the road. Short or long, perhaps up to a half marathon on the road or marathon on the trails.
  • Considering the Wild Goose Chase 53km on July 1. It looks fun. Has anyone run any of the events held over the weekend? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance. :)

• Thanks 1

Interested to know what work you're doing with that sort of roster and commute?

3 hours ago, pieman said:

Interested to know what work you're doing with that sort of roster and commute?

I am going to guess he has a new gig at the Perth Zoo.

Paul, Forget the open swimming - they will be cancelled. LOL

All the best over there. Was always good to see a familiar face at Manly for the Bold & Beautiful swim.

• Like 1

Look for the Swim Smooth squad info. Based outta Claremont(not too far from Sth Perth) they are frequent OWS 

Riding, look at Perth Roullers(sp) and if you want to go solo head west from Sth Perth to the freeway bike path and get a pretty much uninterrupted flat out and back to Mandurah. Probably about 140km return from the Narrows Bridge 🤔

Running I am not sure. Search for the Perth Marathoners club. Seem to have lots of low key club events. 

Message Stickman, Ratty or Zed for more details. I'm just sharing what's on the top of my head. 

Welcome to WA 

Learn how to not merge in traffic so you fit in 😂😂👍😎

• Like 1

they have a long course duathlon ever year in Busso. Super easy course with plenty of drafting. 

I think they have a cafe now.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Paul, Forget the open swimming - they will be cancelled. LOL

He's serious too!  Just put more time into bike/run

1 hour ago, FFF1077 said:

Riding, look at Perth Roullers(sp) and if you want to go solo head west from Sth Perth to the freeway bike path and get a pretty much uninterrupted flat out and back to Mandurah. Probably about 140km return from the Narrows Bridge 🤔

i didn't know you could get all the way to mandurah form the narrows on the path, Does it just hug the kwinana freeway all the way down?

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

they have a long course duathlon ever year in Busso. Super easy course with plenty of drafting. 

I think they have a cafe now.

Piss off.

😛

10 hours ago, Paul Every said:

Well, I've made the move west and now looking to establish some regular training and do a few races.

Living in South Perth. My commute is a 30 metre walk. Start work at 7am. I have alternate weekends off work, as well as alternate Fridays and Tuesdays off.

I haven't been running or cycling very much for the last 18 months, so I'm not that fit. I have been doing the occasional long race on base fitness so I'm prepared to go little long with races but would possibly be smashed by a lot of training groups at the moment.

Any recommendations or advice on the following would be welcome:

• Open water swimming groups. 
  • Safe cycling routes and times, including for mid-week rides of 40 to 100km. Any suitable groups?
  • Running? Any stand-out races that are particularly worth doing? Prefer trails but also happy on the road. Short or long, perhaps up to a half marathon on the road or marathon on the trails.
  • Considering the Wild Goose Chase 53km on July 1. It looks fun. Has anyone run any of the events held over the weekend? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance. :)

Not sure if there's many OWS groups over winter? Back in the 90s they used to be more popular, old Noah has put paid to that! I would say your best bet is to hook up with a triathlon club, most do OWSs. There are a couple of sharknets now too. It's still fine to swim in the ocean, just swim next to someone fatter than you. 

Drivers in WA have a very bad attitude towards cyclists. I didn't realise how bad, till i went to QLD and saw how polite they were! The bike paths are generally only good for MTB, commuters etc however the bike path down to Mandurah that runs alongside the freeway is popular with triathletes, you can gun it for 150kms+ boring as batshit though. We ride Sundays occasionally and the roads are empty early on and there are some roads with decent, wife bike lanes, but few and far between. There are some great, picturesque rides in the hills and traffic is very light even during the week. 

Lots of trail runs and races. There's the Perth trail series held over winter. I did the 21km Eagle and Child last year, tough, but awesome. Basically up in the hills, through forests, jumping over boulders, through streams etc There are quite a few ultras popping up too, 50km races as well as 6/12/24 hour races. A new 25km trail has just opened up near me too, the Yaberoo trail, great for running and MTB. 

http://www.perthtrailseries.com.au/

If you like MTBing, that's taken off and there's heaps of trails and manufactured MTB parks knocking about. 

I do a few of the WA marathon club runs, they're cheap and offer all sorts of runs and distances. Plus you have the more well publicised races like city to surf, HBF run etc

https://www.wamc.org.au/

Are you looking to race triathlon? The tri scene here seems of have taken off the last 3/4 years. Lots of smaller races popping up all over the state as well as the bigger branded races. Lots of options and pretty much a race every weekend from november to may.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, zed said:

Not sure if there's many OWS groups over winter? Back in the 90s they used to be more popular, old Noah has put paid to that! I would say your best bet is to hook up with a triathlon club, most do OWSs. There are a couple of sharknets now too. It's still fine to swim in the ocean, just swim next to someone fatter than you. 

Drivers in WA have a very bad attitude towards cyclists. I didn't realise how bad, till i went to QLD and saw how polite they were! The bike paths are generally only good for MTB, commuters etc however the bike path down to Mandurah that runs alongside the freeway is popular with triathletes, you can gun it for 150kms+ boring as batshit though. We ride Sundays occasionally and the roads are empty early on and there are some roads with decent, wife bike lanes, but few and far between. There are some great, picturesque rides in the hills and traffic is very light even during the week. 

Lots of trail runs and races. There's the Perth trail series held over winter. I did the 21km Eagle and Child last year, tough, but awesome. Basically up in the hills, through forests, jumping over boulders, through streams etc There are quite a few ultras popping up too, 50km races as well as 6/12/24 hour races. A new 25km trail has just opened up near me too, the Yaberoo trail, great for running and MTB. 

http://www.perthtrailseries.com.au/

If you like MTBing, that's taken off and there's heaps of trails and manufactured MTB parks knocking about. 

I do a few of the WA marathon club runs, they're cheap and offer all sorts of runs and distances. Plus you have the more well publicised races like city to surf, HBF run etc

https://www.wamc.org.au/

Are you looking to race triathlon? The tri scene here seems of have taken off the last 3/4 years. Lots of smaller races popping up all over the state as well as the bigger branded races. Lots of options and pretty much a race every weekend from november to may.

Jesus they must be bad in WA then....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pieman said:

Well I was in Noosa. Maybe they're OK there? The group I was with, were riding 3 abreast, blocking traffic and the cars were sitting behind them waiting politely to pass. 

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

There is a Perth Trail Series that does off road running. They also run on a Thursday evening around 6 in Kings park. Get on either their web site or FB. I swim with a group at Wesley college in South Perth Tuesday and Thursday evenings during the season. we are on a break until July/ August because we are soft and its cold outside! We also swim at Cottesloe Sunday mornings in summer. If you head to Cott on a Sunday it is like a freeway around 7-7.30 as most groups swim then. Most people tolerate the sharks and just get on with it. All pools would have a suitable squad just pick the most convenient. There are a million groups cycling around the river most mornings, South Perth Rouleurs have a number of groups and would be close to you and as FFF said we have a cycle path from Perth to past Mandurah which also gets a bit busy leading up to Busso in May or the IM. Its boring s batshit but reasonably safe. If you like to get dirty there are some great purpose built MT bike trails at the Calamunda Camel Farm. Enjoy Perth.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, pieman said:

Damn straight!

4 minutes ago, zed said:

Well I was in Noosa. Maybe they're OK there? The group I was with, were riding 3 abreast, blocking traffic and the cars were sitting behind them waiting politely to pass. 

Ahhhh, you picked maybe the only place in the state to feel comfortable.  At least, that's been my experience up there too.

• Haha 1

PS Wesley College in South Perth has a public gym and pool. The hours are a bit restricted as the school has priority but they have a very cheap pool and gym membership. 

6 hours ago, KieranR said:

i didn't know you could get all the way to mandurah form the narrows on the path, Does it just hug the kwinana freeway all the way down?

Yeah mate. Small section where you are on a back street but even I could negotiate it without getting lost 😂🤔

Like other's have said it is boring as but if you want to do hrs on the aero bars it's great. 

Freo Tri Club would be reasonably close to Sth Perth too. 

Ciao Italia is near you. Treat yourself. Bloody good food. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

History would say I'm right.

yes, sadly. But I'm going to Cairns in 2 weeks, hopefully I'll get to swim!

The biggest group ride in Perth starts from South Perth ;

https://www.southperthrouleurs.com.au/

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, zed said:

yes, sadly. But I'm going to Cairns in 2 weeks, hopefully I'll get to swim!

What?

You didn't hear?

Hey Paul,

Welcome to Perth - below are a few race series / training groups I'd recommend below.  

Good luck! 

Running:

Perth Trail Series - http://www.perthtrailseries.com.au/

Western Australian Marathon Club - https://www.wamc.org.au/programme/

Parkrun - http://www.parkrun.com.au/events/events/

The rest - https://runcalendar.com.au/wa (can recommend Geraldton Running Festival)

Cycling: 

Australian Time Trials Association (very highly recommend) – https://www.atta.asn.au/

Masters Road Cycling Series - http://www.wcmasterscycling.asn.au/calendar/calendar.htm

MTB Racing - https://www.wamba.org.au/index.php/events

Training Groups:

Front Runner (Running and multisport) - http://frontrunnersports.com.au/

Flo Bros (swimming) -  https://www.flowbroscoaching.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lived in Perth for three months back in 2015. I love that place. River loops on the bike are brilliant. ATTA and West Coast Masters racing were highlights for sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gplama said:

Lived in Perth for three months back in 2015. I love that place. River loops on the bike are brilliant. ATTA and West Coast Masters racing were highlights for sure. 

Is it really 3 years since you were at kewdale racing vets 

1 minute ago, chris said:

Is it really 3 years since you were at kewdale racing vets 

The first one I did over there was late November 2014. That was a good day. 

Thanks so much, everyone. Plenty of suggestions to keep me occupied.

I no doubt will meet some of you at the races.

Say hi if you see a dude in his 50s with a beard and long hair.