nealo

Stand alone Marathon times - 1st half versus 2nd half

Just curious about those who've done stand alone Marathons, what was your first half time versus 2nd half?

My only one I had a 1:50 first half and 2hr second half.

Only one for me with a 1.22 first half and 1.34 second half. Hardest last 10km of my life (after over pacing of course) and longest recovery period. 

Majority (5) of mine when trying to go as fast as possible (all sub 3.1/2 hr) where go out and fade in the back end. This was because I worked on the run the best possible and have nothing left.

Last one was with pacers was controlled for 4hr and evenly split. Just felt clinical

My last serious standalone marathon in 2010. (Every one since has had a 3.8km shampoo and 180km blow dry to warm up.)

20100704_GCM_results.jpg

• Haha 1

I have only run one back in 2004 which I ended up actually winning! 

1:25:39 first 21.1km,  1:29:53 second 21.1km = 2:55:32

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tyno said:

First mara was my best.

1:52:13/3:40.42

Negative split?  I expected FB to come on and be the only one to have done that.. (in every run he's ever done... )

• Haha 1

I have done 7 standalone and my fastest (and easiest) was a tiny negative split. My 10km splits were all within about a min and a half of each other.

Now whenever I run one, I try and pace it at what I think will be a pace I can maintain. Going out fast really doesn't work for me.

My only good one I slightly negatively split.

but it was basically 5min ks, but before Garmin’s and gps. 

The old cities marathon from Sydney to Blacktown. I ran to parramatta with big Chris then paced my way from there for a 3.29 and change 

• Like 1

The only one I've done was negative split, but I was trying to get someone through on a time they were chasing, and when they finally gave up, I ran hard.  1:40ish / 1:28ish

• Thanks 1

Most people who run marathon PBs run first and second half within 60-90sec. More than that suggests you either started too hard or too easy.

My PB was 75:36 / 76:34

• Like 1

2nd mara had no 1/2 split, but at 20 km, I was 1:55.13, so lets say ~2:01 at 21.1

4:23.34 at the end.

I seriously contemplated catching a tram back from St Kilda that day :D

• Like 1

Keep em coming, I'll post something tomorrow if work allows me some time............

If you run enough marathons it's easy to see the same trend as the above replies. Your good/fastest races will be the ones that are most evenly paced. This requires a strong final 10km. 

If there is a significant discrepancy between the first and second half, it almost always means one of three things:

1. Went out too fast.
  2. Insufficient training.
  3. 1 & 2.

5 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

If you run enough marathons it's easy to see the same trend as the above replies. Your good/fastest races will be the ones that are most evenly paced. This requires a strong final 10km. 

If there is a significant discrepancy between the first and second half, it almost always means one of three things:

1. Went out too fast.
  2. Insufficient training.
  3. 1 & 2.

In my one and only so far, I was probably guilty of all those but will add:

4.  On the back of Tenby LCW B)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, FatPom said:

In my one and only so far, I was probably guilty of all those but will add:

4.  On the back of Tenby LCW B)

5. Illness

6. Injury

7. Hangover

8. Still drunk

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, CEM said:

Most people who run marathon PBs run first and second half within 60-90sec. More than that suggests you either started too hard or too easy.

My PB was 75:36 / 76:34

It also depends on the courses topography. I don't think even splits are actually even splits in my local marathon.

9 hours ago, Paul Every said:

5. Illness

6. Injury

7. Hangover

8. Still drunk

9. 180km bike race the day before.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

What CEM said. When I was running marathons and fun runs back in the 80's and early 90's, the group I trained with had some experienced marathon runners who preached the even paced is the best pace method for running a marathon. I got a bit excited in my first marathon and blew up big time in the second half. From memory the first half was 1.31 and second half 2.15. I got better at managing my pacing over 10 more marathons over a 9 year period.  

I think about it now, we only had a watch to manage our pacing. No HRM's, no garmins, no stride power meters and no Strava uploads afterwards. How did we even manage to finish!!!! 

• Like 1

It's funny, even with a GPS I still tend to pace marathons on 10km split times. I have an idea of what time I should be running the 10kms in and look at the time at every 10kms and at the half way mark and adjust accordingly.

I think I have had GPS misread so many times that I just don't trust it anymore.

With the GPS, I set it to 3km laps and if I think it is accurate, adjust accordingly. Any less that 3km laps and i am messing around with my pace way too much for me.

• Haha 1