2bruisedplums

Best AG IM coaches - QLD or Online

Hi, Any recommendations for long course age group coaches? I have tried a few in the past but want to seek some alternative advise. I'm QLD based but would be ok with an online coach as long as there is regular face-2-face (Skype ok) contact. I have trouble getting to group sessions due to family commitments so the group type coaches are probably not going to work for me. 

Any recommendations?

oh, i've been around for a few years and have done a few ironmans already so not looking for a beginner coach :)

www.aptriathlon.com

you might have heard of him?

edit to add: if you have family commitments and cant make it to group sessions (core and hill repeats in the rain) he might not be for you...

Edited by pieman

I have recently signed up with Sam Warriner ( Former ITU Champ) who is based in Taupo, NZ.  I pay $50 a month and this gives me access to any of her pre written plans, i have access to talk when ever i want, (FB, Messenger, can book in Skype)  her and her husband also do FB live sessions each week for all her athletes, whether you are 1 on 1 or like me a $50 a month pre written generic plans.

I dont have the budget for a 1 on 1 weekly payment personal plan so the $50 a month works for me at the moment.

I have found her and Stephen very approachable.

The business is called Sweat7

Have had experience with both Tzero and SBR and can speak highly of both.

my girlfriend works FIFO and has a program set up through Emma Quinn at Tzero thats set up week to week and participates in group stuff with SBR when back in Bris. Head Coach Rich won Ultra Man last year so knows a thing or 2 about Long Course!

Alternatively my experience with SBR has been great as a club that is very welcoming and with Michelle Cooper and David Tabernacle has some pretty knowledgeable coaches.

4 minutes ago, chappy019 said:

Have had experience with both Tzero and SBR and can speak highly of both.

my girlfriend works FIFO and has a program set up through Emma Quinn at Tzero thats set up week to week and participates in group stuff with SBR when back in Bris. Head Coach Rich won Ultra Man last year so knows a thing or 2 about Long Course!

Alternatively my experience with SBR has been great as a club that is very welcoming and with Michelle Cooper and David Tabernacle has some pretty knowledgeable coaches.

Having watched SBR from the next swim lane for a number of years I haven't been impressed... They seem like a very welcoming bunch if that is what you are after but not sure of the quality of coaching.. some of the things I have heard... trying to coach swimming while swimming themselves.. not sure why I would pay $10 for that? online coaching fees  $70 per week?

Think I'd take someone with a few more runs on the board, AP, PB3, Tzero or have also heard good things about Matty White online

My advice. Get a coach you actually see and can see you running or riding and swim. 

You might have flaws or issues etc.. they can pick up. 

Something an online coach won’t. 

Brett Sutton once said, you need to see athletes. To see if they are tired or fresh. Something an online coach can’t see. 

Avoid online 

• Like 1

Pieman I don't swim with them so I can't comment on that part of the coaching - but OP asked about online coaches, so the relevance of stroke correction in that environment is zero really isn't it 🤔 

If runs on the board is measured purely only by kona qualifiers then you are probably right - I must have missed that in the initial post :) 

25 minutes ago, chappy019 said:

Pieman I don't swim with them so I can't comment on that part of the coaching - but OP asked about online coaches, so the relevance of stroke correction in that environment is zero really isn't it 🤔 

If runs on the board is measured purely only by kona qualifiers then you are probably right - I must have missed that in the initial post :) 

No offence meant.. my comment re swimming was more about their model of charging for a coached session that had zero coaching..

Regarding runs on the board although AP thinks kona is all that matters i am more interested in who has a good reputation and feedback from fellow back of packers hence why I'd probably approach one of those other names than SBR who i've never seen recommended (until your earlier post..)

1 hour ago, 2bruisedplums said:

Gold Coast but Brisbane for work

East Coast Cycos or Red Dog in Brisbane.

• Like 2

Matt Koorey Coaching. 

Remove your ego. 

Listen, learn, succeed. 

Thread closed. 

Shuffla's wife is Melinda Cockshutt. She got me to Kona. My circumstances are very similar to yours. Can't make group training. When she took me on, I had done one Ironman. Came 15th in my age group from an online training plan. She Coached me to 3rd place in my next one 18 months later and up until Kona. If she was free I would still be with her. But the deal with the husband was that I was allowed to have a coach but only to get me to Kona.

4 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

Matt Koorey Coaching. 

Remove your ego. 

Listen, learn, succeed. 

Thread closed. 

Except he only takes 3 people a year...

Thread reopened.. 😁

25 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Shuffla's wife is Melinda Cockshutt. She got me to Kona. My circumstances are very similar to yours. Can't make group training. When she took me on, I had done one Ironman. Came 15th in my age group from an online training plan. She Coached me to 3rd place in my next one 18 months later and up until Kona. If she was free I would still be with her. But the deal with the husband was that I was allowed to have a coach but only to get me to Kona.

Mel was/is a pretty handy triathlete as well.

I've just been through this, some very important question in all this.

What's your goal at the end of it.

Where are you at now (level of ability)

How much have you got to spend?

Edit to add wow I just realised it was 12 months ago I went through this process.  How time flies..

Edited by RunBrettRun

54 minutes ago, willie said:

Mel was/is a pretty handy triathlete as well.

I met her at a race , seems like a great person too

11 hours ago, 2bruisedplums said:

Gold Coast but Brisbane for work

Come to Trent Grimsey swim sessions at Centenary at 4:15am. Spend another 30 mins after getting in some more volume, shower and off to work. 

7 hours ago, Surfer said:

I met her at a race , seems like a great person too

She is an amazing person.  Also understands the whole family commitment thing too.

3 hours ago, Cranky said:

Come to Trent Grimsey swim sessions at Centenary at 4:15am. Spend another 30 mins after getting in some more volume, shower and off to work. 

She is an amazing person.  Also understands the whole family commitment thing too.

Yeah up at 3 to leave the GC to swim with the crazies...

The second part sounds exactly like AP to!! 

Give a couple a call & and see what they are like.  It's a partnership & you want to make sure the coach is a good fit for you. The "best" coach may not be the best coach for you.

Brettt Sutton may be the best coach in the world but he's not the best coach for me. (It's a respect thing & something I'm not sure I could get over) 

AP may have coached 200 Kona qualifiers, but I like my warm bed & don't respect the way he attacks people who don't agree with him. 

After 14 years in the sport I have had three coaches. 

My first coach got me from 120kg borderline alcoholic to finishing my first Ironman at 82kg. We are still great mates and catch up all the time. 

My second coach was awesome, but I had lost the passion for the sport, I was a bit of a basket case with work & family stuff at the time. I was sticking to the training to give me something to focus  on.  My head wasn't in the right space and I was wasting her time. We are still good friends and I respect her a lot. 

For my next coach I wanted someone who I wasn't friends with. I wanted it to be a business arrangement and one I could just walk away from guilt free if the passion for training wasn't there. 

I rang a few coaches and had a chat. I told them I want to enjoy racing, have mini goals,  I eat hamburgers & donuts and will always put my family & work before triathlons.  My current coached said, cool lets work with what hours we have available & btw I love donuts & burgers. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1