2bruisedplums

Best AG IM coaches - QLD or Online

1 hour ago, Turts said:

So every weekday morning, 3 lunchtimes and 3 evenings. And each weekend day. 

And running 6 of 7 days, assuming no run off the bike otherwise its 7/7

No rest day? 

every morning yes. Lunch times are pretty let crank out 25 minutes on a treadmill, or get our in the fresh air. Switch one of those short runs to be off the bike f I want lunch back. 6 out of 7 runs yes, no rest unless feel it is needed from wearing down or impending sickness. Think it is only two evenings for swim squads

The point I'm trying to make is that from 2000 - 2005 ( when my daughter was 1 -6 yo and I saw her on alternate weekends) qualifying for Kona was EVERYTHING to me. ( I remember getting in touch with you [AP], and you said"It sounds like you got what it takes").

(Sorry) I got a local coach. (Vic) { Maybe that was my big mistake after all} 🙂

We had a program.

When I wasn't working, and I wasn't with my daughter........I was training.

I'm a Scientist by trade, so everything I did was planned and methodical.

To paraphrase Thomas Hellreigel..." I 'worked' hard....real hard ".

On Race Day, I gave myself a good hard talking to, and said, "Today is your Day" 

At no stage in any Race I have ever said " Ah, F#$k it.....I'm just gonna walk it in now. I'll walk two abreast and have a 2hr chat with the guy walking next to me".

Most of the people that make up this forum are the reason I still frequent here.

We are still the "everyman".

Everyone is out there giving it the best they can.

Port Mac this year was my worst time by a considerable margin.

But despite that, and the fact that I thought I'd trained really well, I'm really proud of the fact that I "shuffled " along at an unbelievably slow pace without walking anything but the Aid Stations. You know , when you watch those Olympic marathon runners staggering all over the road, cause they're running on fumes. That was me.

So...tell me again AP about improving my "life habits" !

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

every morning yes. Lunch times are pretty let crank out 25 minutes on a treadmill, or get our in the fresh air. Switch one of those short runs to be off the bike f I want lunch back. 6 out of 7 runs yes, no rest unless feel it is needed from wearing down or impending sickness. Think it is only two evenings for swim squads

I hope you're doing 9 hour IMs...

4 minutes ago, pieman said:

I hope you're doing 9 hour IMs...

God no. I must have crap genes as I'm no place near that. I just like doing sbr because I do, but I'm not very good

48 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Think it is only two evenings for swim squads

Plus the 5k friday arvo swim. Which, if you work, is evening. 

8 minutes ago, Turts said:

Plus the 5k friday arvo swim. Which, if you work, is evening. 

Ah, sorry about that. Despite my learned english friends belief, I work in government and work hard long hours all week so I can get to the pool at 1400 on Fridays

10 hours ago, trilobite said:

So looking at the results for IM Cairns last year, if I were a 50-54 year old male, podium times were 9:30, 9:43 and 9:44.

By comparison, if I were a 18-24 year old female (ie half the age of the finishers set out above) podium times were 11:46, 12:42 and 13:27.

Are you honestly saying the mature gentlemen would have retained their podium spots doing the same training the young ladies did?

Older guys don't know how to Instagram 😂😂😂😂

28 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Ah, sorry about that. Despite my learned english friends belief, I work in government and work hard long hours all week so I can get to the pool at 1400 on Fridays

Not sure how you got that from my post, maybe go back and have a read again. You stated that you are able to train x amount of lunchtimes per week and I stated that in a corporate private sector role, that’s pretty much impossible to plan. Not sure how you could infer I wrote anything else?

i wprk long and hard also, unfortunately that doesn’t afford me a half day Friday and my commute home on Friday is a bit crazy with people heading to the south coast. I guess if you have a job that ends when you leave the office each day it’s doable, sadly I don’t have one of those :(

in the end though,  we all do the best we can with what we have and I’d rather people stay in the sport and have fun, rather than being made to feel second best because they didn’t throw the other things that are important in their lives under the bus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Not sure how you got that from my post, maybe go back and have a read again. You stated that you are able to train x amount of lunchtimes per week and I stated that in a corporate private sector role, that’s pretty much impossible to plan. Not sure how you could infer I wrote anything else?

i wprk long and hard also, unfortunately that doesn’t afford me a half day Friday and my commute home on Friday is a bit crazy with people heading to the south coast. I guess if you have a job that ends when you leave the office each day it’s doable, sadly I don’t have one of those :(

in the end though,  we all do the best we can with what we have and I’d rather people stay in the sport and have fun, rather than being made to feel second best because they didn’t throw the other things that are important in their lives under the bus.

Sorry not trying to create angst, when I say lunch, that is often 30 minutes at 1500 as I don't get time at normal lunches. I often go home at 1900 and I work plenty from home.

I do have the luxury of being able to set aside the Friday, though

Edited by BarryBevan

7 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Sorry not trying to create angst, when I say lunch, that is often 30 minutes at 1500 as I don't get time at normal lunches. I often go home at 1900 and I work plenty from home.

I do have the luxury of being able to set aside the Friday, though

Yeah no angst from me. TBH, until I moved to the UK, I didn’t realise what an impact commuting can have. I commuted in Sydney but the times on PT were fairly predictable. Now I drive commute 29miles each way and it’s a bloody crap shoot to be honest, at least I have parking, at work, may don’t.

My role suffers from folks slamming ‘manadatory’ meetings in the diary at short notice but the thing I’m missing most is swim flexibility at home. The sessions for me are restrictive and not very long.

For years I suffered from a lack of mobility to train a lot but had time, now I have better mobility and no friggin time :lol:

One other thing I’ve noticed, that rarely gets mentioned is that I used to revel in doing everything on my bikes myself, including building from scratch but it’s amazing how much of a time sink bike maintenance on multiple machines can be, especially in a shitty UK winter. That’s time that also needs planning.

ive got huge admiration for folks that can manage this Rubiks Cube of activity but I ain’t one of them!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Yeah no angst from me. TBH, until I moved to the UK, I didn’t realise what an impact commuting can have. I commuted in Sydney but the times on PT were fairly predictable. Now I drive commute 29miles each way and it’s a bloody crap shoot to be honest, at least I have parking, at work, may don’t.

My role suffers from folks slamming ‘manadatory’ meetings in the diary at short notice but the thing I’m missing most is swim flexibility at home. The sessions for me are restrictive and not very long.

For years I suffered from a lack of mobility to train a lot but had time, now I have better mobility and no friggin time :lol:

One other thing I’ve noticed, that rarely gets mentioned is that I used to revel in doing everything on my bikes myself, including building from scratch but it’s amazing how much of a time sink bike maintenance on multiple machines can be, especially in a shitty UK winter. That’s time that also needs planning.

ive got huge admiration for folks that can manage this Rubiks Cube of activity but I ain’t one of them!

That commute is a bit of a killer, go all ST and ride😁. Swimming must be hard too given the lack of quality pools in UK.  Think the thing I have is choice. While I get lots of crappy meetings slammed all the time, I am lucky enough to be able to decline most of them and not care. People love meetings. Lots of private and more juniors in government don't have that choice.

I did say to people in one turgid meeting, I'm going running, "but we need you" "then come for a run". I have got flexibility and after really bad health two years ago, I make choices to just leave, and take my time as others will take it. When people are worried about utilisaton rates and billing you don't get that. I have got flexibility and the luxury of being able to decide if I want to have a meeting

• Like 2

AP point about mental especially as we go longer is well made (FFS this feels so wrong). 300 watts FTP maybe a bit higher, sub 40 10 k and ok swimmer low 60 minute for IM, train well and put hours in. Can't put a sub 11 IM together.

I'm mentally weak and don't achieve because of that

7 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

I'm going running, "but we need you" "then come for a run"

I loved this bit. One of my former portfolios was the Planning of our Mobile Network Backhaul. A mentor I'd had earlier in my career ran the Internal Construction group Nationally , and another good friend ran the external contract workforce. Every Friday lunchtime we'd go for a 15km run along the river paths and talk shit. Some was work, some wasn't, but it really was a good way to keep abreast of what we were doing in our areas.

• Like 2

All good chat, but Is this still on topic? 😘

After reading this thread, the thing that annoys me the most is that Dave T and John Hill will be in the same AG as me next year. 

FM

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Cranky said:

All good chat, but Is this still on topic? 😘

I don't know what's funnier????

A thread on trannies happening to go OT.....

Or Cranky pointing it out :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I'm still trying to decide if the original poster is an actual person or AP posting under an alias trying to drum up more business. He uses trannies like corky users Instagram for self promotion. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I'm still trying to decide if the original poster is an actual person or AP posting under an alias trying to drum up more business. He uses trannies like corky users Instagram for self promotion. 

haha he'd be broke if he relied on trannys, everyone here already has all the answers and have decided what level of performance they are able to achieve.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

There's another Corky...Rhiana Crehan (the V8 supercar pit lane girl) has posted a few  tippy toe pics now, shes also doing Cairns 70.3 this year.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

AP point about mental especially as we go longer is well made (FFS this feels so wrong). 300 watts FTP maybe a bit higher, sub 40 10 k and ok swimmer low 60 minute for IM, train well and put hours in. Can't put a sub 11 IM together.

I'm mentally weak and don't achieve because of that

I'm surprised you can't go sub 11! Those figures sub 10 would be on the cards. 11 hours would be taking it easy. 

10 minutes ago, zed said:

I'm surprised you can't go sub 11! Those figures sub 10 would be on the cards. 11 hours would be taking it easy. 

I'm glad you said it Zed - if I had of said that (even though it's the truth) it would be considered condescending 

Those figures tell me that sub ten is very doable - I would say the fact that he's a scientist is his biggest handicap - it's more art than science

The hardest people to get 100% of their potential out are the people who work in exacting industries - accountants - engineers - air traffic controllers - there are exceptions - then there's the scientists and doctors - they approach it from the wrong end 

See it as a creative exercise - I tap into the athlete's right side of their brain - one of the worst things to come along for Ironman performance is Training Peaks - far too much analysis - analysis paralysis 🙄

And B@W is still a flea

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, AP said:

Those figures tell me that sub ten is very doable - I would say the fact that he's a scientist is his biggest handicap - it's more art than science

The hardest people to get 100% of their potential out are the people who work in exacting industries - accountants - engineers - air traffic controllers - there are exceptions - then there's the scientists and doctors - they approach it from the wrong end 

See it as a creative exercise - I tap into the athlete's right side of their brain - one of the worst things to come along for Ironman performance is Training Peaks - far too much analysis - analysis paralysis 🙄

And B@W is still a flea

:-)

Hope you don't mix up your paying clients as easily as you mix up posters on Trannies.

I'm the Scientist. No idea what Barry Bevan's profession is.

BB is the one with the 300Watt FTP, sub 40min 10k

Mine is closer to 220watts and 50minutes would be a stretch these days.

Having re-read a lot of my posts over the last 24 hours, I'd probably also slot myself in alongside BOW as a "flea".

Maybe the right side of my brain IS a bit underdeveloped.

:-)

So you are the original poster? just trying to drum up business, or were you just wanting to talk about how great you’re again? 

#kona#blessed#lookatme 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Having re-read a lot of my posts over the last 24 hours, I'd probably also slot myself in alongside BOW as a "flea".

Maybe the right side of my brain IS a bit underdeveloped.

🙂

Na we just call BS when it’s posted

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, AP said:

I'm glad you said it Zed - if I had of said that (even though it's the truth) it would be considered condescending 

And B@W is still a flea

Yeah I'm just basing my opinion on his stats and any guys/girls that I know that are knocking around the 11 hour mark and way off his ftp and 10km time. Way way off.One of the girls in my club did a 11.02 at IMWA 2016, her FTP was just over 200 and not sure what her 10km time would have been, but her HM time was 1.50. It's either a serious pacing or nutrition issue or something whacky. 

1 minute ago, zed said:

Yeah I'm just basing my opinion on his stats and any guys/girls that I know that are knocking around the 11 hour mark and way off his ftp and 10km time. Way way off.One of the girls in my club did a 11.02 at IMWA 2016, her FTP was just over 200 and not sure what her 10km time would have been, but her HM time was 1.50. It's either a serious pacing or nutrition issue or something whacky. 

IMWA - is that a bike/run 11:06 or did they run the entire event that year?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, zed said:

FTP of 200 for someone weighing 50kg is not the same as for someone weighing 70kg - you can't compare FTPs without weight...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

FTP of 200 for someone weighing 50kg is not the same as for someone weighing 70kg - you can't compare FTPs without weight...

Yeah for sure. But sub 40/10km and 300w you’d assume he’s not 100kg. That said my mate who was 4th in the ultraman last year is 6’4 close to 100kg and would be close to those stats. But he’s a freak!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AP said:

And B@W is still a flea

I did say you were right twice in this thread. 

5 hours ago, zed said:

Yeah for sure. But sub 40/10km and 300w you’d assume he’s not 100kg. That said my mate who was 4th in the ultraman last year is 6’4 close to 100kg and would be close to those stats. But he’s a freak!

Glen? 

7 hours ago, zed said:

I could do busso 😎. Issues in training have been health oriented. I do too much work, break down, get seriously ill and try to train through that.

Regularly showing up to events tired and ill. As the OCD part kicks in do things that are flat out moronic, like fit in that last 21 k at 1:30 pace the Monday before an ironman as I missed a run the week before. So lots of stupidity, driven from obsessoin with training logs and data.

37 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

I could do busso 😎. Issues in training have been health oriented. I do too much work, break down, get seriously ill and try to train through that.

Regularly showing up to events tired and ill. As the OCD part kicks in do things that are flat out moronic, like fit in that last 21 k at 1:30 pace the Monday before an ironman as I missed a run the week before. So lots of stupidity, driven from obsessoin with training logs and data.

Have you had a coach before?

1 minute ago, RunBrettRun said:

Have you had a coach before?

Not wanting to make this thread about me and upset Cranky🤣. I did and once again I'll prove AP right🙄 I couldn't trust in the process and the coach, though I went well.

Instead of saying session missed, sick, I would do it and then try and do catch up work outs. Bit hard on coach if you have stupid customer, even if they can tell what you are doing, they can't stop you.

May be un coachable from being to stupid, to smart for own good

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So, for the coaches on here, what is the worst thing / most common bad thing that a client does?  I'm guessing that is it doing more than prescribed?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

So, for the coaches on here, what is the worst thing / most common bad thing that a client does?  I'm guessing that is it doing more than prescribed?

Thinking this will need it's own thread.

Might be a great chance for AP to tell us all about the 98 people he has coached to Kona v the % that have burned out & left the sport. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

Think there are the two sides, those who will do too much and obsess and those who won't get out of bed. 

41 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

I feel the worst thing an athlete can do is be constantly searching for something new, something outside of the program he/she's on - the ones who are always looking up some new "secret" on the internet are undermining their progress by not trusting the coach - if you don't trust the coach, move on your wasting his time and your own - if you're going to be coached - find one you believe in and stick with him/her for a minimum of six months - any less and you won't be getting the benefit of the program

I often get better results from an athlete in their second season once I have learned more about them - the more a coach gets to know you through communication and feedback - the better he'she can shape the work or the race strategies to suit you 

And B@W it's 76 Kona qualifiers - 7 of them on the podium   😎:whistling:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AP said:

I feel the worst thing an athlete can do is be constantly searching for something new, something outside of the program he/she's on - the ones who are always looking up some new "secret" on the internet are undermining their progress by not trusting the coach - if you don't trust the coach, move on your wasting his time and your own - if you're going to be coached - find one you believe in and stick with him/her for a minimum of six months - any less and you won't be getting the benefit of the program

I often get better results from an athlete in their second season once I have learned more about them - the more a coach gets to know you through communication and feedback - the better he'she can shape the work or the race strategies to suit you 

And B@W it's 76 Kona qualifiers - 7 of them on the podium   😎:whistling:

Top 3 or the thanks for coming podium?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

Glen? 

Nah Aidy Whittiker. I think he finished 4th?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Ha ha that was me a few years ago. Maybe see a sports psychologist I never did, but managed to fix up most of my race/training anxieties/stupidities. It sounds mad running 21km a week before an IM, fretting you've lost all that fitness because of 1 missed session, but that's exactly what I've done. I trained hard in the pool for my first Busso 70.3. 3 x squad a week + 1 solo swim, 15km+ for 6 months. Did my first ever taper and freaked out because I went from 15km/week to 2km/week, easy. I felt I had lost all my swim fitness, despite having swam over 500km in the previous few months.. I then went and did a 1 km OWS race the day before Busso, had an average swim, started freaking out about the swim the next day, feeling I was going to under-achieve and waste all those months of training and that's exactly what happened. Went out too hard, cocked up the swim.

I'm not sure how to fix that up that though? It's hard to reason with yourself when you're being unreasonable. Doing the 21km run is going to hurt your race physically, but not doing it is going to make you super anxious and potentially affect your race mentally. I guess for me training and racing lots, you get to the point you know your body pretty well and know how well it's going to go in a race. I've raced tired, hungover, without nutrition, after a big training day etc little difference in performances, if you've had 3/4 months of solid training there isn't much that's going to upset the apple cart. Do some shitty insignificant races and just prepare how you want, rest all week or flog yourself all week, see how you go and start trusting in your training and in your body.

Don't accept the OCD behaviour or other anxiety as just part of you, it can be pretty destructive. Knock it on the head if you can! Or minimise it. 

As far as missing training sessions, I did a 3 month build with a coach and it became quite unhealthy, if I missed a session red would show up in training peaks and I'd freak out. I ended up taking time off work to fit in the sessions, sometimes 3 a day. It was a relief when the race and training was over It was a massive chore. At the moment I'm coaching myself, which is great. I wake up and do whatever training I feel like doing! Although I will switch back to a coached program for IMWA this year. I think my approach will be different. I've seen too many people burn out because of their unhealthy attitude to training, loathing training sessions is going to end in tears and an early exit from the sport. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, zed said:

Ha ha that was me a few years ago. Maybe see a sports psychologist I never did, but managed to fix up most of my race/training anxieties/stupidities. It sounds mad running 21km a week before an IM, fretting you've lost all that fitness because of 1 missed session, but that's exactly what I've done. I trained hard in the pool for my first Busso 70.3. 3 x squad a week + 1 solo swim, 15km+ for 6 months. Did my first ever taper and freaked out because I went from 15km/week to 2km/week, easy. I felt I had lost all my swim fitness, despite having swam over 500km in the previous few months.. I then went and did a 1 km OWS race the day before Busso, had an average swim, started freaking out about the swim the next day, feeling I was going to under-achieve and waste all those months of training and that's exactly what happened. Went out too hard, cocked up the swim.

I'm not sure how to fix that up that though? It's hard to reason with yourself when you're being unreasonable. Doing the 21km run is going to hurt your race physically, but not doing it is going to make you super anxious and potentially affect your race mentally. I guess for me training and racing lots, you get to the point you know your body pretty well and know how well it's going to go in a race. I've raced tired, hungover, without nutrition, after a big training day etc little difference in performances, if you've had 3/4 months of solid training there isn't much that's going to upset the apple cart. Do some shitty insignificant races and just prepare how you want, rest all week or flog yourself all week, see how you go and start trusting in your training and in your body.

Don't accept the OCD behaviour or other anxiety as just part of you, it can be pretty destructive. Knock it on the head if you can! Or minimise it. 

As far as missing training sessions, I did a 3 month build with a coach and it became quite unhealthy, if I missed a session red would show up in training peaks and I'd freak out. I ended up taking time off work to fit in the sessions, sometimes 3 a day. It was a relief when the race and training was over It was a massive chore. At the moment I'm coaching myself, which is great. I wake up and do whatever training I feel like doing! Although I will switch back to a coached program for IMWA this year. I think my approach will be different. I've seen too many people burn out because of their unhealthy attitude to training, loathing training sessions is going to end in tears and an early exit from the sport. 

Did you use the paid version of Training Peaks so you can get access to the charts & graphs?  

I used to worry about the odd missed session due to family commitments or just couldn't be fked getting out of my warm comfy bed.

The Training Peaks charts are a good way to track your progress and it's easy to see that missing a session has very little impact on your overall fitness. You can also measure the benefits of missing the sessions as your fatigue starts to reduce.

I like Training Peaks. It's a great training tool.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, AP said:

W it's 76 Kona qualifiers - 7 of them on the podium   😎:whistling:

Total number of athletes of the years?

57 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Did you use the paid version of Training Peaks so you can get access to the charts & graphs?  

I used to worry about the odd missed session due to family commitments or just couldn't be fked getting out of my warm comfy bed.

The Training Peaks charts are a good way to track your progress and it's easy to see that missing a session has very little impact on your overall fitness. You can also measure the benefits of missing the sessions as your fatigue starts to reduce.

I like Training Peaks. It's a great training tool.

No just the free one. I like it, i just probably had the wrong attitude towards training. I.e stressing when a session gets missed. Training very soon becomes a chore. I’ll definitely use it next season. 

50 minutes ago, zed said:

No just the free one. I like it, i just probably had the wrong attitude towards training. I.e stressing when a session gets missed. Training very soon becomes a chore. I’ll definitely use it next season. 

get the paid version. You will benefit from the graphs. For me it helps build confidence in seeing the numbers go up.

3 hours ago, Bored@work said:

get the paid version. You will benefit from the graphs. For me it helps build confidence in seeing the numbers go up.

Must confess I agree  ( probably no surprise ).

The Performance Manager Chart is worth the price of admission that TP charge. Being able to watch the CTL line climb  ( as long as you are consistent with sessions ) gives you confidence that something is working. Conversely, seeing that if you miss a couple of sessions hasn't ruined your whole preparation because the CTL HASN'T fallen through the floor is also reassuring.

I'm still just scratching the surface of what it can do, but think it will help me improve for next year. 😆 

Ah, science. 😃😃

• Like 1

If you use a PC with Chrome, and you send everything to Strava, and you are a cheapskate like me, Stravix is plugin that may help. It has a multisport fitness thing that may help.

34 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Must confess I agree  ( probably no surprise ).

The Performance Manager Chart is worth the price of admission that TP charge. Being able to watch the CTL line climb  ( as long as you are consistent with sessions ) gives you confidence that something is working. Conversely, seeing that if you miss a couple of sessions hasn't ruined your whole preparation because the CTL HASN'T fallen through the floor is also reassuring.

I'm still just scratching the surface of what it can do, but think it will help me improve for next year. 😆 

Ah, science. 😃😃

Watch out Mr Mundine will label you a flea.

7 hours ago, zed said:

Training Peaks was the worst for the anxiety. if my session said x hours or minutes I would fixate on a distance I should have done, even though it was written as a time to avoid it.

I would go back out on the trainer later on or ride longer if I had done 90 k to get it to a 100. I also could not accept running 5.7 k it has to 6. This indicates something is not quite right.

Power was actually the worst. On the long rides especially would chase my watts. If losing them on longer down hills homes or red lights, I would skulk for the rest of the day about not averaging 200 watts.

Have to work out how to change this as it did wreck my enjoyment. Now just doing things I like to do

18 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

I would go back out on the trainer later on or ride longer if I had done 90 k to get it to a 100. I also could not accept running 5.7 k it has to 6. This indicates something is not quite right.

I have a mate like this in Somerset. He cannot ride 96kms, has be 100, same with this his running.  I couldn't give a toss what the number is at the end, I just try and put the effort in for what ever the ride/run is, or just time.  I have some very 'strange' Zwift sessions in this regard. :whistling:

• Like 1