zed

What racing flats are the kool kids in?

My Asics Hyperspeeds are on their last legs so I need some new runners. Unfortunately Asics don't make the Hyperspeed or Hypertri anymore. Any recommendations? Prefer something < 200gms which I can use for sprints up to Ironman. Neutral.

I got some new balance Hanzos.  Have only worn them for one short run before Boston but planning to start doing some work in them now things are back on track.

Another to try is the adidas adios.  I'e struggled to find them in Australia in the size I need.  I put a pair on while in the US and I just love the feel of them.  If Willie can talk adidas around I'll be onto him for those for my next purchase.

11 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Kinvaras are good

The best and most versatile across all of those distances I reckon.

Saucony Fastwitch. Super lightweight but with dual density arch support. Been using this model for racing for about 10 years now.

13 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

Another to try is the adidas adios.  I'e struggled to find them in Australia in the size I need.  I put a pair on while in the US and I just love the feel of them.  If Willie can talk  (GET STOCK FROM) adidas around I'll be onto him for those for my next purchase.

The Adios are a pretty good flat, however I reckon they're slower than the Hanzo and the NB1400 I got you. They feel better because they're soft, not because they're fast. I vote for the NB1400 at the moment, they're good up until a marathon I reckon (RBR did Boston in em). Not as fast as the Hanzo but better over distance. The other's I don't mind are the Saucony type A8, they're pretty decent (they're not for me, far too wide fitting) but a good contender. 

I'm not a big fan of Brooks Hyperion or Asteria (how they went from the T7 awesome shoe to Hyperion I will never know), steer clear if you can. Same can be said for anything from Asics at the moment, the Hyperspeed was an absolute winner of a shoe, I loved it, I rated it. They discontinued it. 

What other shoes are you wearing? That'll give me a better idea and happy to help!

14 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Kinvaras are good

Just noticed this... They're an awesome shoe and one of my favourites, but not as a fast shoe for racing. 

3 hours ago, k3vski said:

Saucony Fastwitch. Super lightweight but with dual density arch support. Been using this model for racing for about 10 years now.

I throw these in the same basket as NB 1500s and DS racers/Trainers, they supposedly a "light support" shoe but in reality, they're almost a neutral shoe. I don't think they really that beneficial for most people (they're good shoes, I just don't think they offer a lot). Almost like added weight for minimal benefit. 

A couple of people I coach (and one of RunWiths coaches "Bec") swear by them and Bec has 3 or 4 pairs she wears. Generally, whatever is comfortable and feels good will be the best shoe for you. 

3 hours ago, willie said:

What other shoes are you wearing? That'll give me a better idea and happy to help!

Was that directed at Brett or me?

I used to have a variety of shoes that I raced/trained in, but now pretty much Hola Clifton 3s for training, Hyperspeeds for all races. I had other shoes that I'd used for speedwork and stuff, but yeah pretty much those 2 shoes do everything I need them to. I occasioablly use the hyperspeeds if we're on the track.

Nike Flyknits of some sort 

The cool kids running wise are in Nike 4%'s at the moment