Rog

Has anyone here lived in New York?

Work has put an offer in to transfer me and my family to New York.

I’m not sure what to make of it and wanted to get the perspective of others who have been there and done that, particularly if you had a young family with you. 

How different was your lifestyle to the one you had here? What’s good and bad about the place? Why did you come back?

Edited by Rog

You visited there Rog? Having been for 10 days I would jump at that offer. Be interesting to read the advice you get. 

I'm going for a work trip in 2 weeks so planning on doing a recce of the place.

Even though you'd only been there for 10 days I'm interested in hearing why you think you'd jump at the offer?

Never lived there Rog but I used to be involved with a board that gave advice to expats to Oz (visas etc).  The US section of that site always gave advice for people in your situation to examine exactly what visa you are being offered. (E3 for Aussies?) If it's H1 or L1, make sure your wife will be able to work (if that's the plan) and get an EAD.  

Also check out whom/what is covered in the health care being offered as it can vary depending on main visa applicant and derivatives.  Apologies if you have all this covered but it's a recurring theme.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rog said:

Even though you'd only been there for 10 days I'm interested in hearing why you think you'd jump at the offer?

My brother in law and his wife are living there now - have been for about 18 months. Their plan is to stay a couple of years then settle back here. They're good people and could answer anything you need to know. I can hook you up with them once you get there although several times a year they come back for work and we have breakfast after the B&B swim.

• Thanks 1

Hey Rog,

BIL (and US wife plus child later on) lived there for 8 years.   Worked Times Square and commuted in from Park Slope Brooklyn towards the end.  They were both professionals and hired a fulltime nanny.  We stayed a month with them in 2012 and my wife went a few other times.

Can probably get anything specific answered if you PM me.  He travelled to Canada every so often to satisfy his Visa requirements.  Cant remember exact details.    

Probably a life experience not to pass up if you can make it work.  Couldnt do it forever, but a few years would be ok if you took your own coffee machine

Edited by Diamonds
  • Thanks 1

An interesting thing was they never had a vehicle even though they were doing very well.  They used the subway for work but were members of a "carservice".  You just ring up and prebook for the few times you need it.  Subway pretty much gets you anywhere and I didnt really have to look at the lines after a few weeks.  

Edited by Diamonds

Flipper’s Godmother lives in NJ but for years lived in Manhatten. She is head PA to the 2IC of Goldman Sachs, I’d be happy to pass on any questions.

If the salary good and living won't cost you a fortune and you can get away without a car and it won't unsettle your kids too much (if you have any) and you don't mind being away from your family in Australia for years and you aren't concerned about selling up and losing money (assuming you may sell up), then go for it!

28 minutes ago, BC_J400 said:

If the salary good and living won't cost you a fortune and you can get away without a car and it won't unsettle your kids too much (if you have any) and you don't mind being away from your family in Australia for years and you aren't concerned about selling up and losing money (assuming you may sell up), then go for it!

I take it that Rog is like me, a geographic orphan. We’re pretty adept at coping without what others take for granted.  If you only see the negatives about living in other countries, you are missing out in my opinion ( even more so if you can score a reloc package).

I would encourage everyone to do it at least once.

• Like 1

Trump rules.  Australia's rocks!  Just saying... ;)

I have no actual advice.  I've never spent a 24hr period in another state and only left the country to go on a cruise I didn't pay for.  I know shit.  But NY is one of the few places in the US I'd love to see.

if you do go, katz deli, half reuben/ half pastrami with a pint of yuengling to wash it down.  I couldn't finish the sandwhich.

Ask yourself one question, will you regret not doing it, not the sandwich at katz but moving there. If the answer is yes, just go.  

Visited & loved it. We are going back in September before we head to Ironman Maryland.

It's sounds like a once in a life time experience & I would be jumping at it. Very jealous. Esp with a young family. Perfect time to head across for a few years before schooling starts.

I did read somewhere u can't claim to have lived in NYC until you have been mugged altleast 3 times.

40 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Visi

I did read somewhere u can't claim to have lived in NYC until you have been mugged altleast 3 times.

I read a quote that you're not an Olympian to you win your second gold medal by a person that had obviously won two.  I cant comment as I haven't won two but figure it must be true...lol

18 hours ago, Rog said:

I just think it would be a wonderful life experience. One of the world's great cities, the art, culture, entertainment and sport, museums, galleries are enough to fill a year of weekends. I just loved the atmosphere, found the people friendly and helpful. Seasonal things like spending Christmas/New Year there (as we did) or Central Park in Summer you can't get here. Obviously there will be a different lifestyle to the Northern beaches but that's yours to toss up. Proximity to other major US cities by plane/train for short trips a bonus too.

The vibe we got talking to waiters, drivers etc was that living in Manhattan was prohibitively expensive for most people so if you can jag an apartment in "The City" you should take it, but that the vast majority commute from the other Boroughs. 

Well said, Parky.  Such an experience.  Even knowing the area as a local (or from the perspective of a local) is so much better than just ticking off the traditional tourist stuff.  Prospect Park in Brooklyn is like a massive Centennial Park and you can train there fine if you can deal with the loops on the bike.   In summer, it is was worth the subway trip into Central Park for the kids to play in the park with water spray jets.  

$25 a casual swim might be a shock though.....

I want to go now.

20 hours ago, FatPom said:

Never lived there Rog but I used to be involved with a board that gave advice to expats to Oz (visas etc).  The US section of that site always gave advice for people in your situation to examine exactly what visa you are being offered. (E3 for Aussies?) If it's H1 or L1, make sure your wife will be able to work (if that's the plan) and get an EAD.  

Also check out whom/what is covered in the health care being offered as it can vary depending on main visa applicant and derivatives.  Apologies if you have all this covered but it's a recurring theme.

All good, but also really look into the specifics of the offer on the table before going ahead.  You'll likely have some sort of budget for housing, touch base with someone on the ground it you have anyone not connected with work, and also do alot of your own research on the net to see how realistic the budget is for what you can afford.  It's the biggest problems I've seen with expats is getting to a new city, and finding they have to go into their own pocket above the allowance for housing and living.  We had one expat come to Melbourne, office in Richmond and his allowance covered a house in Point Cook, he thought after regional Italy as his previous experience that the commute was too much but couldn't afford to get a house for his family in Richmond.  (He still did 4 years after an initial 2 year secondment)

You're doing the recce, but ask if they can spring for "exploration visit" for you and your wife at a minimum to go for a few days so you both can make the decision.  Most large organisations factor this in, with someone on the ground to show you around and show you accommodation offerings, schools etc so you can fully understand - before you make any commitment.

I'd take the chance if everything was right - never met any expat or inpat that even remotely thought they or their families suffered for the experience.  Never seen it hurt anyone's career prospects either

Have a look at Williamsburg in NYC. Easy Sub way trip into Manhattan. We loved the area a real hipster vibe of street art, coffee shops, pizza bars and great places to eat. 

16 hours ago, Parkside said:

One of the world's great cities, the art, culture, entertainment and sport, museums, galleries are enough to fill a year of weekends.  

We were there in 2000 and that's how we felt too. Like you could have a 3 month holiday there and do something new every day. 

Booked flights last night. Adelaide-Hong Kong-Vancouver-New-York.  $1500 return with Cathay Pacific. A couple of day stop over in Hong Kong & Vancouver to break up the flight.

Bring on the Pizza & Philly Cheesesteaks

• Like 1

Personally I hate the place but that's mostly because I spent about 20 days there basically FIFO each day from London... way to ruin a city.

We have relocated a couple of Brits out there and I have a Sydney chap working there at the moment, can put you in touch or ask them any specifics you have. :)

Yeah looks like we are off to the big Apple.  

I must admit I was pretty cold to the idea at first but speaking to others and reading the comments here has changed my outlook for sure. 

So thank you all for your comments, kind offers and contribution.

Edited by Rog
  • Like 5

22 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Just noticed the TT rig up for sale. Is it safe to assume u are moving to NYC?

Where is this advertised. Not in TriTrade?

On 23/05/2018 at 10:51 AM, Rog said:

Yeah looks like we are off to the big Apple.  

Wow :o

Congratulations, hope it's everything you want it to be.

Week and a half to go. We are off the the Gold Coast for the worlds (wife racing) then NYC after that. Will report back in a few weeks!

• Like 4

On 21/05/2018 at 10:54 AM, Bored@work said:

Booked flights last night. Adelaide-Hong Kong-Vancouver-New-York.  $1500 return with Cathay Pacific. A couple of day stop over in Hong Kong & Vancouver to break up the flight.

Bring on the Pizza & Philly Cheesesteaks

Am possibly doing the NY marathon next year.  The flight there has me concerned, am 6ft3 and dont want to arrive banged up from the flight.

We flew via Houston then NYC with two kids 2 and 5. I can tell you I was banged up after that!

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Merv said:

Am possibly doing the NY marathon next year.  The flight there has me concerned, am 6ft3 and dont want to arrive banged up from the flight.

Don't do the the Hong Kong / New York option  then. It fkd me over with jet lag & feeling like shit for the first two weeks we were away.  We suffered the worst jet lag ever & I'm confident it screwed me on race day. 

We have flown to the USA 9 times & it was the worse jet lag we have ever experienced. 

I would recommend flying direct to San Francisco or LA & spending a few days there. Then head across to NYC. 

We have flown United, Virgin, Qantas, Cathay & Air New Zealand to the USA. Also look at what plane is being operated Qantas are still using a couple of old 747's (avoid them) 

If I was you I would be paying the extra few hundred dollars and paying for extra leg room with Air New Zealand. Virgin also have a premium economy sale on at the moment. 

My other tip is to look at booking a flight from the West Coast to East Coast with a few hour stop over. Most US airports have a yoga room so you can stretch and roll out the legs. 

Internal flights look at jet blue and frontier. Avoid Southwest 

• Thanks 1