beginnergirl

USA Shootings #2

6 minutes ago, roxii said:

Wonder if it would make a difference if someone started taking pot shots at the President??

The president is unlikely to be shot by someone with a semi-automatic assault rifle. They would never get close enough. More likely to be a concealed pistol or a sniper rifle.

24 minutes ago, roxii said:

Wonder if it would make a difference if someone started taking pot shots at the President??

So many people said this when he first got elected. 

All were wrong. So far

I love how you guys still comment to IJ.

Edited by Peter

Double

Edited by Peter

45 minutes ago, Peter said:

So many people said this when he first got elected. 

All were wrong. So far

Not hoping that he would get shot obviously, but seeing as Donald only seems concerned with things that are close to home for him, a scare with a shooter may help him sharpen his focus on the issue a bit more. 

1 hour ago, roxii said:

Not hoping that he would get shot obviously, but seeing as Donald only seems concerned with things that are close to home for him, a scare with a shooter may help him sharpen his focus on the issue a bit more. 

You'd think that. 

7 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Texas again.

Democratic nomination candidates rushing to politicise it again

Edited by IronJimbo

27 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Texas again.

Seems they want to relive the "glory days" of the wild west.

Prayers should help. 

It's sad how it's  now becoming the norm, hardly even rated a mention in the news and is 11 stories down the list on news.com.au

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Democratic nomination candidates rushing to politicise it again

Because it's a political issue I suppose. The only way the USA will reduce gun violence is through new policy.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Are you referring to yourself or myself ?

I can't remember mentioning a political party or stance. Maybe look in a mirror yourself?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I can't remember mentioning a political party or stance. Maybe look in a mirror yourself?

Perhaps your reference to 'reliving the "glory days" of the wild west' had a different meaning

If so, I withdraw and apologise 

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Perhaps your reference to 'reliving the "glory days" of the wild west' had a different meaning

If so, I withdraw and apologise 

I have no idea, and no desire to find out who the president was in the late 1800's, nor what political persuasion he was. It was more a comment on the gun-slinging reputation of Texas in the days of "The Wild West"

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I have no idea, and no desire to find out who the president was in the late 1800's, nor what political persuasion he was. It was more a comment on the gun-slinging reputation of Texas in the days of "The Wild West"

I rather doubt that Texans are still riding their horses into town at high noon to settle their  grievances 

And even if they were, I don't think banning rifles would have much of an impact 

16 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I rather doubt that Texans are still riding their horses into town at high noon to settle their  grievances 

And even if they were, I don't think banning rifles would have much of an impact 

FFS

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Against what?

Unless you think the gang members of Chicago buy their ammo at Walmart, I can't see this piece of news affecting much at all

10 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Against what?

Unless you think the gang members of Chicago buy their ammo at Walmart, I can't see this piece of news affecting much at all

They sell 20% of the ammunition sold in the US. It means someone thinks lives are worth more than profits.

Don't bother responding

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Not too many gang members involved in the mass shootings IJ.

If you value one life you’ve got to start somewhere.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Wronggenes said:

Not too many gang members involved in the mass shootings IJ.

If you value one life you’ve got to start somewhere.

Leaving aside your unnecessary slur to the effect that I don't care about people getting shot...

Banning rifles is the usual proposal to stop mass shootings, isn't it?

So how will Wallmart taking themselves out of the handgun ammo market make a difference?

22 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Leaving aside your unnecessary slur to the effect that I don't care about people getting shot...

So how will Wallmart taking themselves out of the handgun ammo market make a difference?

But it's not just handgun ammo. They are also stopping selling the ammo used for AR-15's and many other assault style weapons, which probably account for half the larger mass shootings in the US.

9 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

But it's not just handgun ammo. They are also stopping selling the ammo used for AR-15's and many other assault style weapons, which probably account for half the larger mass shootings in the US.

Cool

So 20% of gun owners will go to a sports store and buy their ammo there, and Wal-Mart's sales will drop

20 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Cool

So 20% of gun owners will go to a sports store and buy their ammo there, and Wal-Mart's sales will drop

And maybe that one person that possibly shouldn't have an AR-15 won't, and 12 school kids might get to go to college. If that is the outcome, I'm sure Wallmart will think it was worth it. 

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

51 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

And maybe that one person that possibly shouldn't have an AR-15 won't, and 12 school kids might get to go to college. If that is the outcome, I'm sure Wallmart will think it was worth it. 

Nah Jimbo has a good point-this will change nothing. It's a great message but the end result will be nill effect until they ban these weapons. 

25 minutes ago, more said:

Nah Jimbo has a good point-this will change nothing. It's a great message but the end result will be nill effect until they ban these weapons. 

It has to start somewhere. Maybe this is that start. 

When Volvo introduced seat-belts, everybody else laughed at them.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

It has to start somewhere. Maybe this is that start. 

When Volvo introduced seat-belts, everybody else laughed at them.

Maybe, but what I think you are failing to acknowledge is buying a gun and ammo in America is like buying a pair of sneakers here.

If Myer stopped selling Nike's it would just mean Rebel sport would sell more of them...if you want a pair of Nikes you go to any of the bazillion other shops that sell them.

Also, typically the people that buy assault rifles are very passionate about it-notice the massive spike is sales of both weapons and ammo whenever there is talk of a ban?

So no, Walmart's move whilst a nice gesture will achieve nothing while there are still hundreds of thousands of other outlets where these weapons can be sold.

Edited by more

The alternative is to do nothing, and that's not working real great at the moment. 

Yep may be a tokenistic gesture at the moment, but may also be the thin edge of the wedge. 

8 minutes ago, more said:

Maybe, but what I think you are failing to acknowledge is buying a gun and ammo in America is like buying a pair of sneakers here.

If Myer stopped selling Nike's it would just mean Rebel sport would sell more of them...if you want a pair of Nikes you go to any of the bazillion other shops that sell them.

Also, typically the people that buy assault rifles are very passionate about it-notice the massive spike is sales of both weapons and ammo whenever there is talk of a ban?

So no, Walmart's move whilst a nice gesture will achieve nothing while there are still hundreds of thousands of other outlets where these weapons can be sold.

If one nutter has bad thoughts whilst walking past a Walmart, and can't get the ammo he needed, then it worked.

• Like 2

Your  optimism is impressive and hopefully that could be true. But I'm a realist and nearly every single massacre has been pre-meditated-thus they will just drive on to the next shop...

Lets not confuse that I think its a good move, just that I think you are kidding yourselves if you think it will have any effect.

9 minutes ago, roxii said:

The alternative is to do nothing, and that's not working real great at the moment. 

Yep may be a tokenistic gesture at the moment, but may also be the thin edge of the wedge. 

If we are talking alternatives that actually effect change then Walmart (a company that turns over $500 BILLION annually) could use this power to influence change-refuse to stock any weapons or ammo of any type supplied from manufactures that also sell assault rifles for example, use some of their immense wealth to lobby congress etc...?

I don't know the value of the NRA but I reckon Walmart could give them a fair run for their money..

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Cool

And then gun ownership will be seen as soemthing that takes some effort, a special thing,rather than the freakshow that it seems to Australians wandering into a Walmart for the first time and seeing firearms in Aisle 3 next to outdoor furniture. Grab some BBQ heat beads, oh and might as well get us a handgun or a rifle while we're out shopping. Reduce the "normality" and you'll reduce the mortality. Folks may not just have a pistol in the bedside drawer "just in case" which gets used when theres a substance abuse, mental health or domestic situation

3 hours ago, roxii said:

laotzu1-2x.jpg

Shouldn't we make sure that one first step is in the right direction?

2 hours ago, more said:

Not sure where you get your sneakers from, but the only waiting period I'm subject to is delivery 

Never had to do a background check for a pair of Adrenalines either 

2 hours ago, roxii said:

Nothing is happening at the moment because the political discourse won't allow it

As is the case for a few topics, whenever anyone suggests a rational discussion about what may or may not be actually effective, they are dismissed as unfeeling, corrupt or otherwise morally deficient 

That's not a recipe for good policy or a productive society. It's a recipe for people in the street hitting each other with clubs 

44 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Not sure where you get your sneakers from, but the only waiting period I'm subject to is delivery 

Never had to do a background check for a pair of Adrenalines either 

I bought my last 2 pair of shoes online from private sellers (Facebook/forums/ebay), as with my last bike. In half the states of the USA, I wouldn't need a background check to legally do the same for a gun.

5 hours ago, more said:

4 hours ago, more said:

But I'm a realist and nearly every single massacre has been pre-meditated-thus they will just drive on to the next shop...

Thanks More, I got a laugh out of this.

13 minutes ago, Mike Del said:

Thanks More, I got a laugh out of this.

Why do you have to be so snide-engage in an adult conversation and explain whats so 'funny'?

I don't know how many gun shops there are but according to this article there are 50,000 more than there are Mc Donalds...so yeah there is a gun shop or two...

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/gun-dealers-stores-mcdonalds-las-vegas-shooting-2017-10?r=US&IR=T

Really getting over the condescending smug comments on this site. Might just stick to Slowtwitch...

2 minutes ago, more said:

Really getting over the condescending smug comments on this site. Might just stick to Slowtwitch...

Blocking the 3 dickheads is easier. 

Lots of good people on here too. 

17 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

It’s cute that you think the statement is a slur against you.

i didn’t say anything about handgun ammo either but you know.....details.

7 hours ago, more said:

Why do you have to be so snide-engage in an adult conversation and explain whats so 'funny'?

Snide? I think you're being a little precious about me quoting to you something you yourself posted in "The Sand Box", and then you're threatening to go to another site because of it, seriously.

I got a little laugh out of it because you were dismissing the opinions of others yet you plucked the figure of Hundreds of thousands of places to buy assault rifles out of mid air, then in your next post stated that you're a realist. Are you saying it wasn't a total guess? So yeh I thought that was funny and it gave me a bit of a laugh. You have to admit More you're always saying your opinions are always right whilst dismissing the opinions of others.... like just now to Ex, in your own words you decided Ex was wrong and you were right, presumably based on a figure you just made up when you said.....         "So no, Walmart's move whilst a nice gesture will achieve nothing while there are still hundreds of thousands of other outlets where these weapons can be sold"

What's "hundreds of thousands mean?.... 200,000+ .   Not every USA state allows the sale of assault riffles (that number would be small though) and not all gun dealers / shops, pawnbrokers ect have the licences to sell assault riffles. The Gun Retailers Assoc has just a little info on availability of assault riffles but even they themselves say it's hard to get an accurate count because of the roughly 40,000 licences to sell assault riffles about 25% have not made a sale in the last 12 months. Their best estimate is of the 300,000,000 guns in the USA, the number of assault riffles would be between 5,000,000 and 10,000,000, licensed and unlicensed combined. At around 3% of all guns apparently that makes them a lower volume niche market...... this also made me laugh.  

BTW  Last year there were 13,905 MacDonald restaurants in the USA, and not every Walmart store sold assault riffles and the ammo anyway.

Edited by Mike Del

4 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I bought my last 2 pair of shoes online from private sellers (Facebook/forums/ebay), as with my last bike. In half the states of the USA, I wouldn't need a background check to legally do the same for a gun.

That's not actually correct 

All new guns purchased online have to be sent to a federally licensed firearms dealer who is required to do a background check before releasing it to you 

34 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

That's not actually correct 

All new guns purchased online have to be sent to a federally licensed firearms dealer who is required to do a background check before releasing it to you 

NO. Try learning the real rules before you quote opinion as fact.

21 states force this. But the others don't. An unlicensed person can sell a gun without having to go through a dealer and have a background check done.

34 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

21 states force this. But the others don't. An unlicensed person can sell a gun without having to go through a dealer and have a background check done.

I think we may referring to two different situations

Since the conversation started about buying new running shoes online, I assumed your tilt referred to buying new guns online

Anyone in the business of selling guns online or anywhere else who isn't licensed is violating federal law

2 hours ago, Wronggenes said:

It’s cute that you think the statement is a slur against you.

i didn’t say anything about handgun ammo either but you know.....details.

46 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Haha. That fool iron Jim just makes up shit to piss you guys off. 

I cant believe you still even respond to the tool. 

Just put on block. Life is much better. 

Edited by Peter
  • Like 2