AP

Major fault in 100 runs in 100 days

Most people who set out to run 100 runs in 100 days don't make it 

Many injure themselves out of the project, many other's just "lose it mentally"

Half the reason for failure is mental fatigue, it's just too damn boring and there's little time for a mature (over 40yrs) athlete to let his/her muscles recover

A far better plan, which will reap far greater rewards is to set out to do 100 runs - no time limit - just keep track of the runs and accumulate them until you reach the total 

Look at the guy who set out to do 100 IMs in 100 days  - what's happened to him? - he's a talented athlete - if he had of just set out to do 100 IMs and a day off here and there he would have reached his target in maybe 110 days, even if it took 120 days we'd all have been impressed 

I read on another thread that a guy who can ride a certain speed and power output in training cannot match it in a race without being smashed - it's because he has switched his focus from "the process" to "the outcome" - so if you want to run 100 days just focus on each one, tick it off and rest when you need to. Before you know it the target will be reached, it's about relaxing and going with the flow of energy. As soon as you put deadlines, times, outcomes into the equation you interfere with the natural flow of energy. 😎 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You're right Al. 100 runs in 100 days is stupid for pretty much everyone on here.

However, that was not the purpose of Tyno's "Run Hundred" thread at all.

What categories are there? Baby Steps - 25 + runs in 100 days. Step Up - 50 + runs in 100 days. Steppin Wolf  - 75 + runs in 100 days. Gump Step - 100 + runs in 100 days.

He was only ever intending running on average every 2nd day, and I doubt there was anybody on here even contemplating the full 100.

• Like 1

I agree, but I think the reasons for people injuring themselves out are mostly due to the below..

Although 100 in a 100 is a bridge to far for most (all), I would say that the majority of people could easily go from 3 runs a week to 5 or 6 without an issue as long as they reduce the intensity of all runs (try adding 3 short easy 20 min runs off 3 bike rides a week).

These 'challenge' things are all about adding sustainable volume for a period of time and most of the issues with them come from people either adding 3 more runs a week at high intensity, or adding 3 more runs while doing high intensity at other sports (see other thread where guy was trying this 100 in 100 and doing high intensity cycling and strength classes..)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AP said:

it's because he has switched his focus from "the process" to "the outcome"

How does this impact goal setting? Does setting a target time for a race derail the process? 

Just now, xblane said:

How does this impact goal setting? Does setting a target time for a race derail the process? 

Yep.. what if you turn up on race day and swim is rough and you come out 10 mins slower than expected...? do you turn to a mental milkshake and give up, or overbike trying to catch up? either way you probably miss your goal...

1 hour ago, pieman said:

Yep.. what if you turn up on race day and swim is rough and you come out 10 mins slower than expected...? do you turn to a mental milkshake and give up, or overbike trying to catch up? either way you probably miss your goal...

I usually have a multi-goal approach... these are the perfect day goals, good goals, ok goals, 'hey at least I'm alive' goals.... hopefully tick at least a couple of boxes regardless of the day. 

In the goal setting process now...  gut reaction is to target a time. What other methods are there?

I just don’t see the point in adding extra runs in the week. My best ever standalone marathon was done off 3 runs per week, max 55km. Prior to that I was running 4-5 times a week, topping out at about 70kms. Contstantly tired and sore.

At 3 runs per week, I can focus on quality and having at least 1 at high intensity and still recover.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xblane said:

If you set the goal of time, then work out the process to achieve that

6h IM Bike split, equals 30km hr, equals x watts, 

now if you maintain the x watts, but there was a strong headwind on the way back only on the last lap and you do 6hr.15min., you have failed which can mentally stuff your run, but you achieved your goal of x watts, potentially having a good run.

Or you could have pedalled harder to achieve 6hr bike and then run 1hr slower because you blew up.

also depends if you focus on the goal and don't achieve does that muck up the rest of your race mentally or can you reset and carry on.

3 hours ago, xblane said:

I believe goal setting is really important - but a downfall for quite a few comes when they "over monitor" their performance - have a strong goal - train towards goal paces and power outputs but don't become too dependent on GPS and power meters to measure it during the race - learn what the optimum power output or run pace feels like - totally own that feeling - then on race day leave all the gadgets at home and race to that feeling - make sure that every minute is an efficient one

I own 3 power meters and a garmin but when I race I don't use any I just turn it on from the start and don't even look at the clocks - I just race from the swim start to the run finish knowing what it should feel like 😎

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, AP said:

I just race from the swim start to the run finish knowing what it should feel like 😎

That's it. 

1 hour ago, Naut said:

I just don’t see the point in adding extra runs in the week. My best ever standalone marathon was done off 3 runs per week, max 55km. Prior to that I was running 4-5 times a week, topping out at about 70kms. Contstantly tired and sore.

At 3 runs per week, I can focus on quality and having at least 1 at high intensity and still recover.

But do you see the point of Tyno's thread. He wasn't doing 3 runs a week. These threads, Winterfish included, are to get the lazy bums off their arses and out training. Nobody expects anybody to post 100 runs. Not many will get 50. The people that do do 50 don't need these threads to get them into action.

They are purely there to get people doing SOMETHING.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Naut said:

People always talk about "swimming more to get better" well it is the same with running. If you can build volume through frequency rather than mileage for a few months then insert some volume it is almost guaranteed to  improve your running.., the issue is that most people think that adding 3 runs they need to then add another interval session, another tempo and another long run but this is the recipe for disaster.. 

the point of this is that you run often to build a big base, improved economy and strengthen connective tissues but the secret with any sort of running volume is going easy enough . Tyno has said 20 mins is a run, that might be 3-4km if you are going easy enough.. the BarryP pogram on ST advocates  1 long run, 2 mediums and 3 short, so might be 3 x 20mins, 2x40min, 1 x80 mins. 

Most people wont have the patience to do this for a few months or let their ego go to run slowly but I had my best run results when doing this in conjunction with 3 trainer rides a week (more steady focused than high intensity) and as much as swimming as before..Less injuries doing this than doing intervals weekly on a standard 3 runs a week 'program'..

YMMV of course

• Like 1

I heard Tyno was doing his runs as hill reps in the rain.  If it’s not raining he’s got a sprinkler set up to spray him.

He should do 100 easy.

Agree with ex, it’s not actually about doing 100 it’s setting a target and getting you out the door.  Most humans are motivated by targets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I took Tynos 100 runs to be a bit of winter motivation for anyone on here who was looking for a mild challenge. Bit like the trannies biggest loser thread. 

It got me actually looking at what I have planned leading up to Run Melbourne and Melbourne marathon series of runs. So in that regard, well done Tyno. Gonna take me 5 months to do 100 runs. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, AP said:

I read on another thread that a guy who can ride a certain speed and power output in training cannot match it in a race without being smashed - it's because he has switched his focus from "the process" to "the outcome" -😎 

2 hours ago, AP said:

I believe goal setting is really important - but a downfall for quite a few comes when they "over monitor" their performance - have a strong goal - train towards goal paces and power outputs but don't become too dependent on GPS and power meters to measure it during the race - learn what the optimum power output or run pace feels like - totally own that feeling - then on race day leave all the gadgets at home and race to that feeling - make sure that every minute is an efficient one

I own 3 power meters and a garmin but when I race I don't use any I just turn it on from the start and don't even look at the clocks - I just race from the swim start to the run finish knowing what it should feel like 😎

I presume the guy you are talking about in the first quote is me.LOL.

Whilst I generally agree with a lot of what you write, unfortunately, in this case, not so much.

I race with the gadgets, but mostly just to record the data. I use the power meter on the bike to make sure I don't go out too hard over the first lap.

Unfortunately, my power meter didn't work for the entire ride this year, so I was left with "Perceived Effort". So I tried to be conservative, didn't look at speed all day. Only checked my time at 90k and 180k. Probably went 20mins slower than I "felt " I'd gone, but certainly didn't "focus on the outcome".

Again, unfortunately, what I discovered was that my training this year wasn't as good as I thought it had been.

On the run, I didn't look at my watch the whole time. Just shuffled "aid station to aid station", and tried not to walk in-between.

My Garmin ( recording the data) died before the finish, so when I asked my wife what time it was and she said " Ten to ten", I couldn't believe it. A full 1 1/2 hours after I'd expected it to be. So Perceived Effort can be 'out' by a far bit sometimes . LOL.

It's ok. I can accept I was crap on the day.

I'm still proud that I staggered my way around 42k. I wasn't walking 2-abreast , having a little chap to while away the time.

I was going as hard as I could, which was unfortunately incredibly slow. LOL.

Maybe I need to do some of those hill repeats. Doesn't have to be in the rain. Just have to do 'em.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Maybe I need to do some of those hill repeats. Doesn't have to be in the rain. Just have to do 'em.

Hill repeats are the best, but why do them in the rain anyway? All that improves is your descending in the wet. Not required much in tri's. 

Edited by mhvh
Auto correct f up

9 hours ago, AP said:

Look at the guy who set out to do 100 IMs in 100 days  - what's happened to him? - he's a talented athlete - if he had of just set out to do 100 IMs and a day off here and there he would have reached his target in maybe 110 days, even if it took 120 days we'd all have been impressed 

Very good point, same with the US 50 states guy.  For the Sydney guy, perhaps 125 days would have been more realistic (I think 110 would have been a challenge).

That said, think 100 runs in 100 days is doable if you really want to, however if that is noodling around for 3-4k runs in 20mins  (or 1-2k in 15 mins for some) and classing that as a daily run and doing that in 100 days, then good badge, but won't help any race performance (well perhaps a little depending upon your starting position).

One more point though, if over a one week period there is 7 runs but 2 of those days are double runs (morning and eve) therefore giving 2 days without runs, then we may be talking.  Personally I run/from to work a lot and often have double run days (you do have to get your body used to it) - that may be a better strategy if fixated on 100 runs in 100 days.  As mentioned above, intensity and distance need to be factored in.

• Like 1

Firstly...

WTF do we have another separate thread about 100 days of running???  No wonder I can never keep up with what's happening on here sometimes  :huh:.

Secondly...

10 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

You're right Al. 100 runs in 100 days is stupid for pretty much everyone on here.

However, that was not the purpose of Tyno's "Run Hundred" thread at all...

(and later)

These threads, Winterfish included, are to get the lazy bums off their arses and out training...

They are purely there to get people doing SOMETHING.

Exactly Ex, and anybody who thinks that doing 100 runs in 100 days is not likely to put them at risk of injuries is probably too stupid to stand upright by themselves anyway.  Even though I agree with much of the stuff AP puts on here, I don't really think we needed Captain Obvious to point this one out. :lol:

Thirdly... (and lastly)

10 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

100 runs in 100 days is stupid for pretty much everyone on here...

Challenge accepted :thumbsup:  (just to piss AP off).

Won't be doing it for a while though as I'm fairly well broken at the moment... possibly later in the year if I can shake off my current list of injuries.

Edited by Go Easy
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, pieman said:

This was exactly IMNZ in 2017. 8-10 min slower swim and 20-30 min slower bike because of the conditions. Luckily my only goals were to enjoy the day and finish both the bike and run strong which I'm happy to say I did both

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Go Easy said:

Firstly...

WTF do we have another separate thread about 100 days of running???  

EXACTLY 

When I read the first post I thought this thread should be moved to Tri Trade in the advertising section 🤔🙄

• Like 1

Maybe I'm doing one thing right even if I'm not out busting it up that wet hill on Tuesday morning.

I've never set a goal time in a ironman.  I race with no watch in the swim.  Use my bike computer but hardly look at it and on the run glance to my run watch after each k clicks over to get an idea of how I'm traveling... I never have a clue of overall time during a race not that it actually matters.  

All I know on raceday is if I execute well the result will take care of itself.

While I do have time goals I would like to achieve just for bragging rights at the pub, I know that targeting a certain swim time, bike time or run time are stupid.  The time will come if I put in the work, execute well and get a "fast day".

That's my 2c on that.

Re 100runs in 100days.  Go easy let me know when you start.  I'l throw 2k on the treadmill in every day I don't have a run scheduled and tick them off with you.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

Re 100runs in 100days.  Go easy let me know when you start.  I'l throw 2k on the treadmill in every day I don't have a run scheduled and tick them off with you.

Me too. 

Except mine will be "I wish I was ****ing running!!!" 😂😂😂😂😂😎👍

Maybe we should crowd-source the 100 runs?

that way we might only have to do 1 or 2 each and we all get the benefit.

right? :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tyno said:

Maybe we should crowd-source the 100 runs?

that way we might only have to do 1 or 2 each and we all get the benefit.

right? :D

Brilliant. With mental application like that, you've got the 70% nailed. You only have to do 30 runs..

• Thanks 1

100 runs in 100 days should not injure if people are sensible with the distance. Running injury commons when people do things like run three times a week with a big long run on a Sunday of 30 k and maybe run 2 other days, combined at 15 K. Eeven worse whne they run intervals on those days

45 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

100 runs in 100 days should not injure if people are sensible with the distance. Running injury commons when people do things like run three times a week with a big long run on a Sunday of 30 k and maybe run 2 other days, combined at 15 K. Eeven worse whne they run intervals on those days

Obviously I've been ridiculous in the past.... I'm pre injured before I started... Maybe I have a head start on the rest of yuz?? LOL 

Yes Tyno, a "go run for me" page where you can ask people to do your runs! Brilliant #blessed #tri365 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

EXACTLY 

When I read the first post I thought this thread should be moved to Tri Trade in the advertising section 🤔🙄

If that was the case we would have to move almost everyone of his posts to tri trade 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, mhvh said:

Hill repeats are the best, but why do them in the rain anyway? All that improves is your descending in the wet. Not required much in tri's. 

I wouldn't say that:lol:

• Haha 1

I am on day 152 if anyone wants to know. Which includes double run days 3 times a week

Depending on run some are not 20mins as they are purely fast stuff

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

I am on day 152 if anyone wants to know. Which includes double run days 3 times a week

Love it. Great work 

58 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

No 20 minutes in duration or not 20 minutes of running?

Can you give an example?

1 hour ago, Tyno said:

No 20 minutes in duration or not 20 minutes of running?

Can you give an example?

If i do a 5km run off the bike it is not 20mins.  

If i do 4-8x30secs flat out for speed work it is not 20mins of running. I generally do this as part of a gym session.  

Various other ways i do it as well.  400, 800, 1km or mile reps.  Sometimes we tend to do too many reps of these and lose the essence of session in developing anaerobic system.  They need to be fast.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As i said in the other thread I got to 50 continuous days of running 5km -18km daily. Then my 'desire' for it waned. I thought my body was ok at the time, but with all the work and other training I was doing, I'd dug myself so deep into a pit of exhaustion, it took a bout of glandular fever and then solid rest to get back into training, and even then, I just couldn't cope with anything high intensity for quite a while. 

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 10:50 AM, RunBrettRun said:

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 1:21 PM, FFF1077 said:

Me too. 

Except mine will be "I wish I was ****ing running!!!" 😂😂😂😂😂😎👍

Not real sure when I'll start, but I'm currently trying to string together 3 or 4 days of short runs each week and am already starting to feel better.  Most are only 5k's or so, and are very slow & easy, but 'motion is lotion' and I definitely don't feel as stiff and sore in the mornings like I had been.  Plus I've been on some of AP's Gelatine and a couple of Turmeric most days so that might be helping as well.

I also need to drop a fair bit of weight now as well so will be trying to get in as many short easy runs in as I can.  Sooner or later that will turn into a number of consecutive runs, but if I need to have a day or so off every now and then I will.  I appreciate the support but reckon you guys should just start when you're ready.

• Like 1

👏👏Thats a great result - its a big achievement to have a goal then meet it, so much life can get in the way of our goals.

Happy Days Shuffla 😎

• Like 2