mhvh

Osteitis Pubis

Had anybody had it? I've got it and have to stop running for a while to recover. It's very painful!

Had a mate who had it. Very sore and very difficult to treat apparently.

In the end he gave in and didn’t run again. 

38 minutes ago, roxii said:

Had a mate who had it. Very sore and very difficult to treat apparently.

In the end he gave in and didn’t run again. 

I've heard plenty of anecdotes like that.  Bloody hell.  It's nasty!

I thought this was a made up injury afl players use when they have taken too many drugs and need a rest to get level back closer to normal. 

Check out your adductors...I've heard of several cases of OP where the cause was traced back to very tight adductors...with quite uncomfortable treatment (needles & massage) loosen them up.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CEM said:

Check out your adductors...I've heard of several cases of OP where the cause was traced back to very tight adductors...with quite uncomfortable treatment (needles & massage) loosen them up.

Or treat the cause weak adductors.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bosco said:

What’s the general cause of weak adductors? 

Yeah. How do you get them stronger or "better" to begin with? 

Yup, had it in about 2010/11.  It's a bastard (though a walk in the park compared to patella femoral pain syndrome).  Took 6+ mths to recover from, which I achieved by minimal running and a stretch a Sports Doc in Canberra showed me - stand facing a wall, lift one left up and tuck knee to chest, then lean into wall.  Stretches the groin area.  Repeat on other leg.  I know another young sprinter here who got it too and she was out for 9+mths.

It is a bone stress reaction in the join of the pubic bones. 

Takes 6 months of concerted rehab (not rest) to return to kicking sport. Usually associated with hip mobility problems, abdominal and hip muscle strength deficits.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Parkside said:

It is a bone stress reaction in the join of the pubic bones. 

Takes 6 months of concerted rehab (not rest) to return to kicking sport. Usually associated with hip mobility problems, abdominal and hip muscle strength deficits.

To all those guys out there who don't have this problem - it's one of those issues which is better avoided in the first place with good body maintenance - core strength and flexibility - the sort of stuff that should just naturally be part of your training plan

The people who tell you that you don't need to stretch and swimming, cycling and running give you all the core strength you need are misleading you (probably unintentionally because they believe what they're saying) like George Costanza once said "It's not a lie if you believe it to be true"

The athletes I have known who've had this issue have avoided core work and flexibility work 😢

2 hours ago, AP said:

To all those guys out there who don't have this problem - it's one of those issues which is better avoided in the first place with good body maintenance - core strength and flexibility - the sort of stuff that should just naturally be part of your training plan

The people who tell you that you don't need to stretch and swimming, cycling and running give you all the core strength you need are misleading you (probably unintentionally because they believe what they're saying) like George Costanza once said "It's not a lie if you believe it to be true"

The athletes I have known who've had this issue have avoided core work and flexibility work 😢

And it needs to be more than crunches & pushups & planks.  It needs to be the type of stuff FB mentions - glutes, hips, calves etc etc.  I've got into deadlifts, kettlebell swings, theraband crab walks, skipping etc now (all too little too late for me, as the damage is done), but I'm amazed at how much this has helped me maintain my cycling strength, despite being off the bike for 5+ yrs.  And more stretching.

I also do upper body strength work now too.  Didn't think it was doing much until I was out with a client (15+yrs younger and much bigger than me) who had to open a spring loaded electric fence.  He couldn't do it, but I found it quite easy! 

And I was one of those triathlete's AP mentions, thought swim/bike/run would give me all the strength I needed.  It did in some muscles & tendons, but not others, and finally the imbalance stuffed me. You can get away with in in your 20s/30s, but not in your 40s+.

I have a very good physio now and he has me doing all of the stuff suggested on here re core strength, stretching etc.

Adductors were very, very tight, particularly on the right side.  Getting that worked on, it's painful. 

So if I stick to my rehab plan, would 6 months be a realistic time frame to be running again?

Can I still ride? Will that agitate it? I don't seem to suffer after riding.  I will ask the physio, just wondering what your combined knowledge says.

I think my days of running long distances are over.  Or are they? Physio seems to think maybe not. 

Unless you have other more permanent problems (e.g. cartilage badly deteriorated/bone on bone action ), there is no way your long running days are over.  I went on to do another 6 or so HIMs after my OP and it never flared again.  I even did one HoW while it was still a little twitchy and it went OK.   OP is a bit like a stress fracture in my understanding, and it will heal if treated right. Riding did not bother mine either, but maybe it contributed to the tight adductors?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Parkside said:

Do you see many people with this AP? How many of them do change of direction or kicking sport?

I've only seen two in 25yrs - and they were both the sort of guys that had avoided our group core sessions - both have left the sport - we have very few injuries in our squad but strength work, core work and stretching is part of our weekly routine 

Nobody over around 45yrs runs two days in a row - most long runs are punctuated with either walks or push ups every 10min 😎

I remember the Brisbane Lions had a high incidence of these a few years ago which was attributed to hard ground at The Gabba.