Sign in to follow this  
wombattri

Port Mac 70.3 - still learning...

This was my third trip to Port - 70.3 in 2015 and the full IM in 2016 were the previous occasions. The full in 2016 was great (posting a 10:42 time which I was happy with), and memorable as the conditions were just bloody awful that year, but I loved it - nice to have near perfect weather this time around. My kids also love going to Port (daughter even did the IronKids race) so it’s now a yearly trip.

The training has been great, and the running has been really bulking up - an area I really want to keep improving having never been a runner. Mooloolaba tri was the lead up race which produced a PB run split over the OD.  Diet and weight were good - 74kg, ideally like to get leaner towards 70kg. Into my 10th year of triathlons and I’ve improved, but still have much to learn (see below).

Swim - 27:55
I positioned myself right up the front of the start, probably 6 or so in front of me. It was rougher than usual, lots of limbs flying around. Apart from that, it was a pretty uneventful swim - I didn’t push it too hard as I wanted to conserve energy for the ride. 

Bike - 2:38:47
So I find this bike course pretty tough, even for the half. With the improvements in running, cycling is probably now my weakest leg, due in part to the limited time I have for long rides. Also for me, this course is a mental challenge more than anything, and one that I haven’t quite mastered it yet - which is why I’ll keep coming back to hopefully improve each year. My power meter went all cuckoo (thanks for nothing Quarq) so I relied on HR, keeping it within 150-160 range as instructed by the coach. Fairly steady heading out, got passed a lot but actually think I rode better on the return leg. The crowd on MFD was fantastic.

Run - 1:43:34
The primary goal of this race was to produce a sub 1:40 run split. At Sunny Coast last year I got 1:42, and felt that from the training I had put in I could achieve somewhere around 1:37-1:40. Averaged roughly 4:30-4:40 min/km for the first lap and felt good. Second lap the wheels came off - doubt crept in and soon began to realise I wouldn’t achieve the sub 1:40 target I was after.

Including roughly 4-5 minutes of T1 & T2 I finished in 4hrs 54min and in 24th place for Male 40-44 AG. Not a bad result, but I was expecting better - was hoping for top 15.

Some lessons learned:

1. Horses for courses - I made the mistake of thinking that because I went 4:46 at Sunny Coast then I could do that time again at Port. So wrong - the bike course at Port is hard, physically and mentally, and I should’ve known that. When it became obvious on the run that I wasn’t going to make the target time I mentally checked out - I might have lost a few places on the second lap because of this. Never compare times at different courses.

2. For my AG category I placed 24th overall - 6th in the swim, 29th Bike and 31st in the run. What this tells me is although I’ve put a ton of work into the running, I still need to get stronger on the bike to run better. My long rides are limited to 3-3.5 hours, but I do get in 4 rides per week.

3. Transition times - T1 was fine (on par with all those who placed ahead of me), but T2 was at least a minute slower - what the hell was I doing? Need to get speedier as one minute saved would have gained 4 places. (this is one of AP’s maxims).

After the race I went back to the hotel - had a sleep, something to eat, then me and the family went down to support everyone doing the full IM. After we put the kids to bed I went back again and cheered on 2 mates to the finish. I must say that was one of the highlights as I’ve never actually been a supporter, so it was great to experience that. 

Well done to everyone who competed at Port - it really was a great weekend, the buzz around town was fantastic. Although I didn’t achieve the result I wanted I can’t fault this event. 

Next up is either Gold Coast or Brisbane marathon, Sunny Coast 70.3 then New York Marathon in November.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing, great report & very well done on your race. Your point about not comparing courses is so true. I reckon its hard to compare the same course if the conditions arent the same ie head wind or filthy hot day can make a big difference. Enjoy NY marathon you lucky so n so 😉

On 14/05/2018 at 2:14 PM, Surfer said:

Thanks for sharing, great report & very well done on your race. Your point about not comparing courses is so true. I reckon its hard to compare the same course if the conditions arent the same ie head wind or filthy hot day can make a big difference. Enjoy NY marathon you lucky so n so 😉

Thanks, very much looking forward to NY marathon.