Sign in to follow this  
Peter

I can’t wait for Kona (Wurf)

What I'm interested in he is being coached by Chris Froomes coach. 

He is training with Sky. He uses all their recovery.  Stays with him.

So different to the usual Pro Triathlete

• Sad 1

Maybe he pinched Froome's supplements to take himself. Looked like someone did before the last stage.

Lets step back and forget that he's an Aussie for a moment - here's a guy riding faster than Stadler did while he was training with T-mobile - and this guy is training with Sky who miraculously had 5 guys in the top ten of the Tour, riding the legs off the whole peleton in the last week 🙄 as you all know I am not a cynical man 😏

The same guy has done nine IMs last year and is still doing things that others have rarely ever been able to do - maybe he is a superman

8 minutes ago, AP said:

The same guy has done nine IMs last year and is still doing things that others have rarely ever been able to do - maybe he is a superman

In an interview he said he races so much as he can't replicate in training what a race offers.  ie stopping for drinks.  Cars. etc....

I'd like to ask him is he trying to win every race he does or are they viewed as actual training days before the gun goes off.

Yes he did 9 IM's. In his 9th, he got 130km in to it, and couldn't go further. In a few cases he targeted specific parts of the race, so was probably just treating them as 8 hour blocks. 

If he was winning 4 or 5 of the races, and flying in the others, then yes, I'd be all over it, but this is a guy that's done 3 x GT's as a cyclist, and is maintaining his cycling training with top coaches & teams. I'd expect him to be beating all the triathletes, but then also wouldn't be surprised if there'd been some supplements in his past (and maybe present). But then again I wouldn't be surprised about any other pro, Aussie or not.

I think it's pretty awesome the speed this guy rides at. Kona last year showed that after his training with Froome that he is now riding quicker than the old course record holder Stadler did after riding with T-Mobile.

29 minutes ago, Ruley said:

I think it's pretty awesome the speed this guy rides at. Kona last year showed that after his training with Froome that he is now riding quicker than the old course record holder Stadler did after riding with T-Mobile.

Echo echo echo...

9 hours ago, AP said:

If he did 9 IMs in the past year I'd say this season will be disappointing - it's just too much emotionally to recover from - I wish him well but that it just too much 

I think he’s planning on South Africa, Cairns, Wales, Hawaii and possibly Arizona.

That is still two too many in my books to really contend for Kona.

Stadler did one 10 day training camp with T-mobile. In early February 2004 in Majorca. After the camp Norma flew straight to Australia to train with Mark Newton in the lead up to Ironman NZ.

He attended a HERT camp at Forster with Mark and I got to spend a fair bit of time talking to him about the camp. According to Norman they split the riders into two groups - one that was targeting early season races and the other group were basically riding base miles for 90% of the time. Norman rode with the base group and they clocked up 1800km in 10 days.

Cadel was riding with the other group as he was being set for Paris-Nice. Norman thought that Cadel would never get a real chance to shine at T-mobile because he was Australian. 

The Jan turned up as fat as I am now and spent most of his time scoffing snickers bars and pastries in the team car. He did a VO2 max test and bonked at below 350 watts. Norman went next and put out his usual 400W. The T-mobile tester said that they expected Jan to be able to put out 500 Watts by April. 

The other hard session that the base squad did was a team time trial. Norman only had his roadie and could barely hold Aldag’s wheel. 

With great espect to Norman, the level of training - and the extent - that Wurf does with Sky is on another level. The guy would be basically good to go in a Grand Tour now.

• Thanks 2

On 14/05/2018 at 3:08 PM, Bored@work said:

He just posted a 40km run with 1429m of elevation moving time of 2hr 58min.  I don't follow any other pro's on strava. Is it unusual for a pro to be doing 40km runs?

I'm blowin away by the level at which these guys can train day in day out. They must eat & sleep a lot.

Sutto used to do a "drop and run back 45km" long run. 

Drop off the athletes 45km from the training camp and let them run back. That was an endurance session. Not sure of pace or elevation. 

On 12/05/2018 at 11:58 AM, Bored@work said:

Follow him on Strava, the guy is an animal. It's awesome to see a pro with personality. Fingers cross he doesn't turn vegan. 

There was a guy at my local park run last weekend in a “No meat athlete” podcast shirt - I beat him...

• Thanks 1