Sign in to follow this  
Peter

I can’t wait for Kona (Wurf)

We know he can ride. 

Just hope he doesnt get injured. 

1F2A5BFA-AF13-4151-BE53-A5AD87510016.png

Avg just under 4.00ks for a little over 45min.  Not sure this is any indication of anything to come at kona?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

Avg just under 4.00ks for a little over 45min.  Not sure this is any indication of anything to come at kona?

True but it's nice to see he is doing the hard yards

39 minutes ago, Peter said:

True but it's nice to see he is doing the hard yards

Not sure that is hard yards for a pro when 250 or better is needed for the marathon

25 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Not sure that is hard yards for a pro when 250 or better is needed for the marathon

Follow him on Strava, the guy is an animal. It's awesome to see a pro with personality. Fingers cross he doesn't turn vegan. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Follow him on Strava, the guy is an animal. It's awesome to see a pro with personality. Fingers cross he doesn't turn vegan. 

Would love to have a beer with him for sure.  

4 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

Tipping it would end up being a few.

nothing all that unusual or special there.
hope he kicks ass at kona but i wouldnt be talking about his run till its a 15 low for 5k, 31:xx for 10k or 68/69:xx for a half mara or a session like 5x 1km @2:45-2:50 with 60 seconds recovery, or untill we see sub 2:50 somewhere off the bike outside of kona. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

His pace at the beginning of the marathon is not an issue anymore, it's trying to sustain it for the full 42.

And a 2.50 is not required if you keep putting 10 minutes into the runners on the bike leg. I think (unconfirmed) a 3 hour would have won South Africa? He was on track but faded.

3 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

speaking of vegans just got passed by PJ at Byron Bay tri. Assume he was doing a team relay but i was doing 6.30 pace and he didn't exactly blow me off the track... 😁

18 minutes ago, pieman said:

speaking of vegans just got passed by PJ at Byron Bay tri. Assume he was doing a team relay but i was doing 6.30 pace and he didn't exactly blow me off the track... 😁

Did he finish? 

18 minutes ago, pieman said:

So he was a swim bike dnf but did the run. 

Nothing new. 

41 minutes ago, The Customer said:

Peter, you are such a stalker. 😂

Strava = stalker = yes

28 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I think her phone autocorrected *wanker to *stalker

We have a winner 

35 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

We have a winner 

You love me Sam. 

19 hours ago, Ruley said:

hope he kicks ass at kona but i wouldnt be talking about his run till its a 15 low for 5k, 31:xx for 10k or 68/69:xx for a half mara or a session like 5x 1km @2:45-2:50 with 60 seconds recovery, or untill we see sub 2:50 somewhere off the bike outside of kona. 

I recall him being interviewed by Babbit at a club function with the San Diego Triathlon club (I think) back in January - from memory he’d just done a brick session comprising a 90km ITT in 2 hrs even with a 25km run in about 1:35 hrs (I.e. sub 3:50 min/km pace). I recall thinking that was pretty handy for a January work out.

that said, he didn’t break 3hrs in IMSA, so there is still a 10 minute gap between what he might be able to do - on current run form - and what he’ll need to do run to even have a chance to hold off the likes of Jan, Lionel and Patrick in Kona. 

18 hours ago, Peter said:

You love me Sam. 

No.

I just generally appreciate people pulling the piss out of each other in a good natured fashion.

On 12/05/2018 at 3:17 PM, Ruley said:

This is the sort of "real world wisdom" we miss around here - nothing to add to this 😎

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 2:47 PM, Ruley said:

He just posted a 40km run with 1429m of elevation moving time of 2hr 58min.  I don't follow any other pro's on strava. Is it unusual for a pro to be doing 40km runs?

I'm blowin away by the level at which these guys can train day in day out. They must eat & sleep a lot.

4 hours ago, Bored@work said:

He just posted a 40km run with 1429m of elevation moving time of 2hr 58min.  I don't follow any other pro's on strava. Is it unusual for a pro to be doing 40km runs?

I'm blowin away by the level at which these guys can train day in day out. They must eat & sleep a lot.

4 weeks out from Cairns. Mark Allen used to do ~45km run looping around the town lake in Boulder Colorado 5 weeks out from Kona.

crowie’s weekly long run was 2 hours (~30km) in the morning and 45minutes at race pace (5:45-6min miles) in the afternoon. He did that one week in, week out for a decade BEFORE his first Ironman.

A 40km+ run is not a typical weekly session, but one that a lot of old school pros did a month to five weeks out from their A race IM.

wurf did 9 Ironman races last year, so a 40km+ brick run was actually a pretty standard monthly workout, 😂 

11 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

wurf did 9 Ironman races last year, so a 40km+ brick run was actually a pretty standard monthly workout, 😂

If he did 9 IMs in the past year I'd say this season will be disappointing - it's just too much emotionally to recover from - I wish him well but that it just too much 

42 minutes ago, AP said:

If he did 9 IMs in the past year I'd say this season will be disappointing - it's just too much emotionally to recover from - I wish him well but that it just too much 

Unless he does hill repeats in the rain. Then he will be mentally tough & ready to race 

• Haha 2

What I'm interested in he is being coached by Chris Froomes coach. 

He is training with Sky. He uses all their recovery.  Stays with him.

So different to the usual Pro Triathlete

• Sad 1

Maybe he pinched Froome's supplements to take himself. Looked like someone did before the last stage.

Lets step back and forget that he's an Aussie for a moment - here's a guy riding faster than Stadler did while he was training with T-mobile - and this guy is training with Sky who miraculously had 5 guys in the top ten of the Tour, riding the legs off the whole peleton in the last week 🙄 as you all know I am not a cynical man 😏

The same guy has done nine IMs last year and is still doing things that others have rarely ever been able to do - maybe he is a superman

8 minutes ago, AP said:

The same guy has done nine IMs last year and is still doing things that others have rarely ever been able to do - maybe he is a superman

In an interview he said he races so much as he can't replicate in training what a race offers.  ie stopping for drinks.  Cars. etc....

I'd like to ask him is he trying to win every race he does or are they viewed as actual training days before the gun goes off.

Yes he did 9 IM's. In his 9th, he got 130km in to it, and couldn't go further. In a few cases he targeted specific parts of the race, so was probably just treating them as 8 hour blocks. 

If he was winning 4 or 5 of the races, and flying in the others, then yes, I'd be all over it, but this is a guy that's done 3 x GT's as a cyclist, and is maintaining his cycling training with top coaches & teams. I'd expect him to be beating all the triathletes, but then also wouldn't be surprised if there'd been some supplements in his past (and maybe present). But then again I wouldn't be surprised about any other pro, Aussie or not.

I think it's pretty awesome the speed this guy rides at. Kona last year showed that after his training with Froome that he is now riding quicker than the old course record holder Stadler did after riding with T-Mobile.

29 minutes ago, Ruley said:

I think it's pretty awesome the speed this guy rides at. Kona last year showed that after his training with Froome that he is now riding quicker than the old course record holder Stadler did after riding with T-Mobile.

Echo echo echo...

9 hours ago, AP said:

I think he’s planning on South Africa, Cairns, Wales, Hawaii and possibly Arizona.

That is still two too many in my books to really contend for Kona.

Stadler did one 10 day training camp with T-mobile. In early February 2004 in Majorca. After the camp Norma flew straight to Australia to train with Mark Newton in the lead up to Ironman NZ.

He attended a HERT camp at Forster with Mark and I got to spend a fair bit of time talking to him about the camp. According to Norman they split the riders into two groups - one that was targeting early season races and the other group were basically riding base miles for 90% of the time. Norman rode with the base group and they clocked up 1800km in 10 days.

Cadel was riding with the other group as he was being set for Paris-Nice. Norman thought that Cadel would never get a real chance to shine at T-mobile because he was Australian. 

The Jan turned up as fat as I am now and spent most of his time scoffing snickers bars and pastries in the team car. He did a VO2 max test and bonked at below 350 watts. Norman went next and put out his usual 400W. The T-mobile tester said that they expected Jan to be able to put out 500 Watts by April. 

The other hard session that the base squad did was a team time trial. Norman only had his roadie and could barely hold Aldag’s wheel. 

With great espect to Norman, the level of training - and the extent - that Wurf does with Sky is on another level. The guy would be basically good to go in a Grand Tour now.

• Thanks 2

On 14/05/2018 at 3:08 PM, Bored@work said:

Sutto used to do a "drop and run back 45km" long run. 

Drop off the athletes 45km from the training camp and let them run back. That was an endurance session. Not sure of pace or elevation. 

On 12/05/2018 at 11:58 AM, Bored@work said:

There was a guy at my local park run last weekend in a “No meat athlete” podcast shirt - I beat him...

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

not getting much love on ST today

quite a weird comment to make on sanders Igram...

5 minutes ago, pieman said:

quite a weird comment to make on sanders Igram...

Agree. It may have just come out the wrong way. 

7FF9FCFB-9564-428C-8732-C8CEF247E79A.png

Wurf once put in a post race blog that he discussed KQ points with a fellow pro mid race. It was determined said pro didn't need additional points to KQ. If that pro needed the points Wurf was going to drop back a position to let this pro get the necessary points.

I assume he is saying Lionel should have done the same.

Edited by prizna
just read the 3rd comment on twits.... pretty much says the same
  • Like 1

Good. A bit of good old fashioned Aussie niggle. Sadly missing since Macca. As long as he doesn’t go overboard, like Warner etcetra. 

You might remember in his post Kona interview last year he recounted how he gave Jan a bit of a sledge over wheel selection as he cycled past him at around the 70km mark 😂 

10 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Good. A bit of good old fashioned Aussie niggle. Sadly missing since Macca. As long as he doesn’t go overboard, like Warner etcetra. 

You might remember in his post Kona interview last year he recounted how he gave Jan a bit of a sledge over wheel selection as he cycled past him at around the 70km mark 😂 

ah good all aussie niggling almost as funny as english banter

1 minute ago, BarryBevan said:

ah good all aussie niggling almost as funny as english banter

“You’ve just dropped the World Cup” is my favourite...

19 minutes ago, prizna said:

Wurf once put in a post race blog that he discussed KQ points with a fellow pro mid race. It was determined said pro didn't need additional points to KQ. If that pro needed the points Wurf was going to drop back a position to let this pro get the necessary points.

But then doesn't that just stop another pro getting a Kona slot? If I was the pro that missed out I'd be pissed off that they'd concocted a result that pushed me out.

17 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

But then doesn't that just stop another pro getting a Kona slot? If I was the pro that missed out I'd be pissed off that they'd concocted a result that pushed me out.

Yep. 

44 minutes ago, prizna said:

Just like a lot of pro cycling "results" 

It's all a game to him, he made his money as a pro cyclist and is just having fun now. Other athletes this is their livelihood, they race to win, every place is $ in the bank, why should someone donate some of their income to another athlete so they can qualify to Kona, if they can't qualify then they shouldn't be there. An ex pro cyclist who raced for the most ethically challenged Team, and still trains with them, has no right calling out other athletes for any reason.

• Like 1

On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 7:44 PM, Andrew #1 said:

Stadler did one 10 day training camp with T-mobile. In early February 2004 in Majorca. After the camp Norma flew straight to Australia to train with Mark Newton in the lead up to Ironman NZ.

I remember this - Prior to him going to NZ we all road to Pheasants. Headed out along the M5 til the last toll gate (when they were there) and the go head was to do a TT to Pheasants Nest - Stadler off first and bang..... never saw him again till almost at PheasantsNest next where he was just rolling in. Cameron Howe and I were the last two off and made ground on most of the people that day.....about 12-15 of us.

After drink stop...... Cam said.... stick to his wheel.... because he knew Stadler was going to go again. And sure enough he did. We were ready.

Only 4 of us stayed with him...........all the way to the M5 tunnel at Earlwood where we regrouped. That was one of my all time favourite days on the bike.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1