Sign in to follow this  
trickle

Ultraman 2018. Right here, right now.

GPS is not always accurate. Could be small errors over 10k that contribute...I know I've never had a bang on swim distance in open water. 

52 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

GPS is not always accurate. Could be small errors over 10k that contribute...I know I've never had a bang on swim distance in open water. 

10% out?  Sure 100-200 mtrs. Not 1k. 

And it was the same last year. 

18 hours ago, roxii said:

Do the competitors know? 

Anyone who mentioned that on the "Ultraman" Oz page had their comment deleted pretty quick smart.  Some of the competitors know but definitely not all.

I also heard the swim was 1km short, from a different crew - so pretty unlikely to be a GPS issue.  

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, -H- said:

Anyone who mentioned that on the "Ultraman" Oz page had their comment deleted pretty quick smart.  Some of the competitors know but definitely not all.

I also heard the swim was 1km short, from a different crew - so pretty unlikely to be a GPS issue.  

Now hearing it was only 8.5k not the 10k advertised.

$1950 entry fee is a lot of money to then not get the distances correct

19 hours ago, Peter said:

I just heard that they are using the ultraman name but it’s not licensed to call it that. 

So these people are doing the distance but it’s not even possible for them to use it to do the world champs. 

Word is the woman that runs the Ultraman Brand will never let these people do her world champs. 

More to come. 

Has something changed or has that been the case the last 3 years?  If I'm not mistaken the Ultraman founders were on board and on site when I did it 3 years ago. I met an American bloke called Curtis who shared some of the Ultraman history and I thought it was he and his wife who owned the brand? 

I'm not on the backstory all I know is that they no longer have the licence to run Ultraman here in Australia.

So they are just running it Illegally now.

The same thing happened in Canada a few years back I think.  (Not 100% on reasons)

8 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

So what symbol do you get tattooed? So confusing

Image result for bad running tattoo

Getting the distance wrong is a separate issue but....whether it's called Ultraman or UltraDistance is another. I'm sure there are a limited amount of athletes that train and race over that distance and they welcome any event to test their mettle. 

They may or may not be interested in a World Championship, just getting out and punishing themselves for the fun of it. Good on 'em i say.

• Like 1

My swim at the inaugural UMOZ 3 years ago.....back when Ultraman was hard 😋

ultraman swim.jpg

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, softy said:

Getting the distance wrong is a separate issue but....whether it's called Ultraman or UltraDistance is another. I'm sure there are a limited amount of athletes that train and race over that distance and they welcome any event to test their mettle. 

They may or may not be interested in a World Championship, just getting out and punishing themselves for the fun of it. Good on 'em i say.

But if you do it in at attempt to qualify for the world champs, and then find it's not a qualifier, it would suck.

Mind you they just need to check here 

Here's a reminder of how the Invitation process works:

Invitation Qualification Priority: All applicants must have finished an event with at least a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, and 26.2 mile run or longer in the previous 18 months

1) Former Ultraman finisher of an officially licensed Ultraman event (see guidlines, rules, and regulations for details.)
2) Former crew and volunteers
3) First timers (no experience with Ultraman events)
Applicants in categories 2 and 3 are automatically placed on the wait list and will be notified of acceptance after 8/31 drop deadline.

For more details, see Guidelines, Rules and Regulations.

Mahalo and Aloha -Sheryl, Jane & David!

But having read the Guidelines, it actually seems they either haven't updated the details since 2017 or I have the incorrect information

QUALIFICATION FOR ENTRY

The selection of Invitees will be based upon the experience and other qualifications and criteria of each applicant. At a minimum it is expected
that the applicant will be a former finisher of an Ultraman event (Canada—prior to 2015, United Kingdom—prior to 2014, Florida, Australia or
World Championships
) and have completed an event with at least a 2.4 miles swim, 112 miles bike, and 26.2 miles run or equivalent in the previous 18
months to the Ultraman Event for which they are applying. Other ultra-distance events may also be considered as qualifiers assuming they
have distances equal to or greater than iron distances and if it is deemed they require the planning and training that would be of benefit to the
athlete doing Ultraman.

I've even confused myself now.

How do you get my wife’s Strava? 😂

9km might explain the 2:11 for the fastest swim of the day. 

5 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

That GPS data was from the paddler so should be more accurate that the swimmer. 

21 minutes ago, Shuffla said:

How do you get my wife’s Strava? 😂

9km might explain the 2:11 for the fastest swim of the day. 

If it’s on the internet it’s available. I don’t even follow her. 

Btw. You can only qualify for Hawaii Ultraman via Florida.  Got an email back from the Hawaii RD. 

16 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

She asked for a B but got a 13.

Oh no waaayyyy 

I just clicked. 

That's a 13.1 mile tattoo for a half marathon. 

Whoa 

1 hour ago, FFF1077 said:

Oh no waaayyyy 

I just clicked. 

That's a 13.1 mile tattoo for a half marathon. 

Whoa 

I don't Believe

• Haha 1

163 & 169 riding a out 50m apart. Approx 5/10 km up the rode.

19 hours ago, Bored@work said:

So what symbol do you get tattooed? So confusing

Blue Ink Blessed Word Tattoo On Mans Upper Back