In the same vein as Winter Fish, also inspired by a ST idea I've never done with them, comes: Run Hundred

What's it about? It's about running. For 100 days. NOT continuously, but consistently.

What constitutes a run? 20 minutes or more of running in one session.

What is running? If you classify what you're doing as running, then it counts. Run/walk, water run, slow jog, sprint interval, whatever.

What if I run more than once in a day? If you have more than one session in a day that has 20 minutes of running in it, each one counts.

When does it start? I will start on Friday 11 May. This means day 100 is August 19, (Sunshine Coast Marathon event day.) If you start on Wednesday 23 May, day 100 is August 31.

What categories are there? Baby Steps - 25 + runs in 100 days. Step Up - 50 + runs in 100 days. Steppin Wolf  - 75 + runs in 100 days. Gump Step - 100 + runs in 100 days.

Where do I record my runs? Wherever you normally do, Trannies strava page is a good option. Or here. Talk it up, sledge your friends. Sledge your enemies. Sledge roxii, go nuts.

What is Tyno aiming for? Step Up. Maybe 1/2 marathon on the last day, we'll see.

Will you be my running buddy?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I was planning on reattempting the BarryP program so I'm in.  I'll aim for 75, hopefully get 50 but more likely hit 25..

Now.... Disclaimer alert 

I have a bad dodgy ankle. Long story. Properly ****ed at the moment. But I am aiming to run again, so I will be in for the Baby Steps. So 25+ runs before the cut off. I have tried the 100/100 before..... Got to day 13 and couldn't move.... LOL But I ran too far and fast to give myself a good chance of completing the challenge. 

Good work Tyno 😎🤘

• Like 2

9 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

I have a bad dodgy ankle...

I'll see your dodgy ankle and raise you a dodgy ankle, dickie knee, horrible hammie and a hopeless hip!  None of it too bad, I think it's just a result of many years of punishing my body.

I do like the idea of doing consecutive days of running as a challenge though Tyno, but know that I definitely can't do it at the moment as I'm really struggling getting 2 runs a week done.  Let us know how you go with yours.

I very, very, very rarely run two days in a run.

If I took this one on, I wouldn't be able to walk, let alone run after 15 days.

Enjoy.

My initial thought was 100 in 100, but I know that's not realistic for me.

Just run what you can in the next 100 days.

Hopefully, it's more than the last 100 days.

Which for me isn't that difficult :)

• Haha 1

I'd like to caution people who may think this sounds good and end up putting themselves out of the game 

As a coach I very rarely ever give an athlete over 45yrs runs on consecutive days - in fact athletes over 50yrs only ever get 3 runs on the road in a week - we may fit in a treadmill or a water run session for leg speed 

In the past 2-3 yrs I only run twice a week - one long and one short off the bike - always working on technique

I've found older athletes also need to be very aware of how long it takes to "warm up" older muscles - the older you are, the longer and more careful the warm up needs to be 😏

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, AP said:

I'd like to caution people who may think this sounds good and end up putting themselves out of the game 

As a coach I very rarely ever give an athlete over 45yrs runs on consecutive days - in fact athletes over 50yrs only ever get 3 runs on the road in a week - we may fit in a treadmill or a water run session for leg speed 

In the past 2-3 yrs I only run twice a week - one long and one short off the bike - always working on technique

I've found older athletes also need to be very aware of how long it takes to "warm up" older muscles - the older you are, the longer and more careful the warm up needs to be 😏

But it's only 20 mins, so an easy jog with the dog at 5 minute pace is only 4ks. Surely that isn't going to hurt anyone, is it? Do 5:30 pace and it's only 3.5ks or so. My dog needs at least that every day anyway (he averages about 7k per day running over a month, he loves it)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AP said:

The OP said water run as an option.  

If you coincide runs on ground with water stuff easily achievable.  The hardest thing with most is water running will not show up on garmin or strava as running so this may prevent people doing it. Great way to get better hip extension if done correctly.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Go Easy said:

Edited by FFF1077
Amendments

Well, after my MTB stack yesterday, I'm not starting this today.

So, start date is 23rd May.

Look at it like a 100 day run focus block.

On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 10:41 AM, AP said:

I'd like to caution people who may think this sounds good and end up putting themselves out of the game...

On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 10:57 AM, mhvh said:

But it's only 20 mins, so an easy jog with the dog at 5 minute pace is only 4ks. Surely that isn't going to hurt anyone, is it?

Both of the comments above are valid.  It's all about how hard and fast the consecutive runs are.

As a result of not having any scheduled rest days when I'm training, if I'm having a good run without injuries there's been plenty of times in the past where I've gone weeks and weeks of consecutive runs and felt great.  There are other times when running two days in a row has caused a problem.  It's all about just being sensible and using the easy days as very gentle recovery runs.

If you are going to do consecutive running days you need to be very aware of your body and what it's telling you.  Personally I don't get anywhere near as stiff & sore if I do shorter runs more often, and I would have thought this would be the same for most people.  The shorter runs may not get you through an Ironman though... but then again, maybe they will.

As some of you know, I've been doing this stuff for about 25 years and have never had a set training plan.  Pretty much every day I have an idea of what I want to do and what is required to get the best results, but when I walk out the door to do my runs it may be 5km or it may be 20km...  I'm very much guided by the way I feel at the time.  I only do what I enjoy doing.

At times I also train hard and push the limits, it gets results but it can also lead to injuries.  There's some great coaches on this site, and lots of people with a wealth of experiences.  Listen to what they say, and pick the bits that work for you.  If Ironman's your goal, then it's hard to go past AP and his advice on what works for him and his athletes, but everyone's different and we all have different constraints and goals that we want to achieve.  If you're going to have a crack at this 100 days of running, then know what you're trying to achieve and take it easy.  Good luck!

• Like 1

30min deep water run 

Nearly fell over after I climbed out of the pool! Legs, hips and glutes were ****ed. Great workout. 

Could someone with IT knowledge please do a spreadsheet for this please? I'm a tech tard. 

Edited by FFF1077
Edit
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

30min deep water run 

Nearly fell over after I climbed out of the pool! Legs, hips and glutes were ****ed. Great workout. 

Could someone with IT knowledge please do a spreadsheet for this please? I'm a tech tard. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Gv9Lp4--X7jVMxcqUQdNWKlRbDOEUwSpkTqUyWlNOvo/edit?usp=sharing

• Thanks 1

In for baby steps. 

5km on 12th

12km on 14th.

only 23 runs to go 😂 

• Like 2

I tried this Jan 2017. I went for 100 runs in 100 days, on top of teaching indoor cycling 3 or 4 times a week, running HIIT sessions twice a week, and trying to get some swimming and cycling in. Oh, and on top of a full time job and beers at the weekend. 

I'm suprised I made it to 50 days, but I really noticed an improvement in cadence and technique. It became a mode of transport. I couldn't mentally invisage continuing for another 50 days. I don't think I ran anything over 18km during those 50 days, and mostly 5km or 10km, with some fast efforts. 

Good luck to anyone trying this. Definitely dial it back often. 

Thanks to AP for the positive publicity.

Kickof for me is now May 23.

Join in for as many or as few runs as you like :)

• Like 1

I've been thinking more about this, I reckon a minimum of 3km a day is amore than achievable for 100 days in a row.

I'd take that challenge. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, willie said:

I've been thinking more about this, I reckon a minimum of 3km a day is amore than achievable for 100 days in a row.

I'd take that challenge. 

I'm aiming for this. Albeit walking briskly. 

Nearly end of may and have hit day 162.  1922km so far.  Over the months my average pace for month has dropped 18secs/km.  

If a run not on treadmill or track everything is calculated by map my run.  Long runs are done with no watch at all unless it was going to have efforts thrown in (start watch put in letterbox run my course and stop watch when get back).

Foam roll before runs.  Then some wakening exercises.  Carry mini band with me if thing get a bit sloppy will do exercises again.  Foam roll after runs and some restoration mobility work.  Eat within 10mins

• Like 2