Sign in to follow this  
Peter

How to approach a duathlon (First run)

I was thinking about the busso half being turned into a run and honestly wouldnt have been prepared for it.

As in, what pace I would have run that first 3km before jumping on the bike.

Running off the bike in my last few races I've been able to hold 4:50 on average.  Shorter events running 4:30 (for 5km)

But having a bike of 90K to follow and a 21k run as well, I'm not sure how I would have paced that first 3km run.

I'm interested on what other people would have run it as.  As in, flat out? Easy or what?

Also whats the run before an ironman if they can the swim?  10K?

in the good old days the 90's...in NSW ...duathlons through winter were reasonably common....

Dapto Duathlon, and there was one Berrima area....geez that was cold start...

I've never done it but I would be tempted to go close to flat out. Aiming to finish the run as out of breath as I am at the end of a 70.3 swim... For 3KM to me it's much more about "gas" than endurance as if you have the training mileage under your belt then it should affect your 21kms about 2:45 later...

4 minutes ago, Shrek said:

in the good old days the 90's...in NSW ...duathlons through winter were reasonably common....

Dapto Duathlon, and there was one Berrima area....geez that was cold start...

Calga/ Peats ridge with transition at the old Oak shop/ servo. 

As to the question, I have never been able to run "well" cold, whether it be a straight run or a duathlon, so for me it was always just survival and minimising loss. 

Did they do a rolling start for the Run?

If so, why did they even bother. The idea of having a run if they cancel the swim is to break the packs a little before the ride. With a rolling start that's already done.

edit to add: I'd have planned to go out at a bit quicker than my intended HIM pace, but certainly not flat out. But then once the gun went I'd have most likely been flat out. :)

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

No idea actually.  Wasn't there

I've done Gundy a couple of times when they've broken up the run so it was swim 2k then run 3k then bike 80k then run 17k. In that first run I've gone a little quicker than my pace for the longer run. 

I have done a lot of duathlons in the past and found that you have to hold back your ego in the first run - I've let others take 60-90sec off me in the first run and then ran away from the same guys in the second one 

I don't think there's a whole lot of strategy going on once that gun goes off - once you load yourself up with lactic acid early in an event that is going for 3-4hrs, you pay the price later  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter said:

I was thinking about the busso half being turned into a run and honestly wouldnt have been prepared for it.

As in, what pace I would have run that first 3km before jumping on the bike.

Running off the bike in my last few races I've been able to hold 4:50 on average.  Shorter events running 4:30 (for 5km)

But having a bike of 90K to follow and a 21k run as well, I'm not sure how I would have paced that first 3km run.

I'm interested on what other people would have run it as.  As in, flat out? Easy or what?

Also whats the run before an ironman if they can the swim?  10K?

I ran 4min pace for the 3km, so just a notch down from flat out. I think if I'd gone flat out that could have slowed me in transition and first bit of the bike. As it was that pace seemed to be in line with how I'd be after a swim and run up the beach. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

If so, why did they even bother. The idea of having a run if they cancel the swim is to break the packs a little before the ride. With a rolling start that's already done.

edit to add: I'd have planned to go out at a bit quicker than my intended HIM pace, but certainly not flat out. But then once the gun went I'd have most likely been flat out. :)

Yup rolling start of 4 or 5 still in age group waves though. 

6 minutes ago, zed said:

Yup rolling start of 4 or 5 still in age group waves though. 

Was the swim to be a rolling start or age group wave starts?

3 minutes ago, Peter said:

Was the swim to be a rolling start or age group wave starts?

Nah age group wave starts. But December will be rolling for both the full and 70.3. If there is a swim. BTW feel free to ask me any duathlon questions, I've done more duathlons this season than triathlons and am now a bit of an authority on the sport. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Im in the 60 to 64 and we started with everybody 55 plus as a group.

I was first off in that wave and ran steady but comfortably hard at 4.25 k pace and as ZED said didn't want to be shattered getting on the bike.

That pace was fine as most of the guys in my group who are competitive ran within a few seconds of each other.

3 hours ago, zed said:

If there is a swim. BTW feel free to ask me any duathlon questions, I've done more duathlons this season than triathlons and am now a bit of an authority on the sport. 

Do you do running hill repeats in the rain?

6 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Do you do running hill repeats in the rain?

I like getting caught in the rain

And pina coladas

In the real olden days there was a ride ‘n’ stride series at Penrith featuring the likes of Welchy, Spot Anderson and even Uncle Stu

5 minutes ago, batman said:

and even Uncle Stu

There's a name from the past.

My mate Angus & I drove up to Airlie Beach for a State Series race and gave him a lift. Nice guy, and we had a good weekend, but it was the stupidest thing we ever did. I came 2nd & Angus came 3rd, and the bastard Stu beat us.

We should have left him on the side of the road somewhere north of Marlborough.

18 hours ago, Bored@work said:

& the colour red

I'm actually more partial to blue

But why start getting things right, eh?

Last time I saw Uncle Stu was in a Stradbroke Idland race about 1990, he didn’t win but was close, he would have been fortyish by then. Aldo saw him push a young Miles Stewart in Kingscliffe about the same time

22 hours ago, Triatx said:

Im in the 60 to 64 and we started with everybody 55 plus as a group.

I was first off in that wave and ran steady but comfortably hard at 4.25 k pace and as ZED said didn't want to be shattered getting on the bike.

That pace was fine as most of the guys in my group who are competitive ran within a few seconds of each other.

How was your race mate?

Not as good as id hoped as I considered that I could win again.,But no excuses id done the work but wasent good enough on the day.

I lead off the bike but faded to finish 4th .Ran 10 mins slower than I usually do,a lesson of sorts I guess.

The guys in my age group are all strong and can never be discounted.

Roll on next season !!Next up Bali OD in October.

You had an ok day by the look of your result.

6 minutes ago, Triatx said:

Not as good as id hoped as I considered that I could win again.,But no excuses id done the work but wasent good enough on the day.

I lead off the bike but faded to finish 4th .Ran 10 mins slower than I usually do,a lesson of sorts I guess.

The guys in my age group are all strong and can never be discounted.

Roll on next season !!Next up Bali OD in October.

You had an ok day by the look of your result.

yeah no swim means I'm never going to get close to the podium. TBH even if there was a swim, I reckon 7th/8th would have been a realistic finish position. Disappointed with the run. I've worked hard on that and I know the wind was shit and most struggled, but still I wanted to get a good run split! I didn't pace it that well. Running back into the wind was hard, but I managed to draft behind guy crawford, thing is he was going too quick, I stayed with him for the first lap. It was either run quick behind him, sheltered from the wind or run into the wind much slower.. so I probably overcooked it on lap 1. I felt good on the bike though.