AP

Port 2018 - new age group

This was my 45th Ironman - having started with Hawaii 1986 (last year you could enter without qualifying) - I had Greg Reddan write a program for me (he had come top ten in 1982) I was too inexperienced to know that it was too hard for me and dragged my @ss through the sessions. I was run down and picked up a bug on the flight over - by race morning I was 80% over it but had a shocker 13.50 (not even a Trannies accepted finish time)

However I'm still in the game 32yrs later, just entered the 70-74 category. It felt like a joke when I entered the 65-69, I do not feel old enough, even though I have 12 grand kids (one has done 7 Ironman races including 3 in Kona)

About six weeks ago I was heading out for a bike session with the squad, I was tired from the manual work I had been doing on my reno project, but I tend to over rule tiredness at times. The first hill my legs just "blew up", I thought I'm just not warmed up enough. Second hill I gave it a bit and totally blew up (short of breath - clammy skin - light headed) - the guys waited for me, I chose to abandon the workout and go home. I felt like I was coming down with something.

On the way home I got worse, I was hardly moving and "had nothing", a bit shaky and clammy skin, I pass the ambulance station on the way home so I rode in. They put an ECG on me, my HR was irregular, they took me to the hospital. In there they gave me a blood test, and a MRI of my heart. I had AT (atrial fibrilation) they told me it was not life threatening, I had not had a heart attack. They gave me some blood thinners and sent me home.

Next morning I went to see my health guru (laugh if you want - my wife, a nurse thought I was nuts) - he said I had a virus and treated me with herbal anti parasite treatments. I saw him again two days later, he changed the treatment. After an easy week I was feeling pretty good, my Chinese herbalist and acupuncturist treated me a couple of times, she said I was run down. I knew that. My next hospital appointment was for a holter (24hr ECG) then a week later for an ultrasound of my heart. While I had the holter on I still did my Mt Cootha hill repeat session as scheduled. Any training I did I cautiously monitored my own HR but still continued to train for Port.

The "witch doctor treatment" seems to have worked, as I type this 48hrs after finishing Port in a new course record for my cat, my HR is 48, and I have just driven 8hrs today.

I went into the race to have a go at the course record. My game plan was to meter out my energy evenly from the swim start right through to the run finish, without even trying to figure out where anyone else was. I can only look after one square meter of this world. I had three other guys in my cat and didn't know any of them, I wanted the win, if anyone else wanted it they had to be prepared to hurt as much as I was. 

You could not get a nicer day for a race, the swim was beautiful, only got hit 5-6 times - swam about 1.12 I think - rode easy on all the uphills and concentrated on rhythm on the flats - rode about a 6.15 I think. My calf has been a bit tight and my ankle a little tender the past couple of weeks, I started out with short stride length and after about 3km it loosed up and was OK.

It was nice to see my daughter out there racing, she came in at around 11.42 and I came in at 12.13. Hurt like a bitch in the second 20km but you have to, I had no idea where anyone else was in my cat, so I had to go hard all the way to the end. I got the record, I should say I earned it.

If I had of followed conventional medical advice I would be in my slippers and dressing gown. I'm not ready for that just yet.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Wow great effort with all this going on in backplay. 

What was the outcome from the halter test etc? Did they suggest not to race? i.e what is the 'conventional medical advice' that you disregarded? 

If a virus and/or cancer want to take down these two, they’d better bring their A game.

Great write up Al. 

52553422-A3E5-40F4-B7C9-18D16559AE59.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iFoz said:

If a virus and/or cancer want to take down these two, they’d better bring their A game.

Great write up Al. 

52553422-A3E5-40F4-B7C9-18D16559AE59.jpeg

Killer moccasins!! (Or are they slippers....)  😂

Edited by pieman

Nice job AP. 

Good to see you out there ...... again. 

Great work Al - loved the approach of not thinking about the others, just your own race. Obviously worked well for you.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, wombattri said:

Great work Al - loved the approach of not thinking about the others, just your own race. Obviously worked well for you.

I've been saying it for years - this game is 70% mental - you can be super fit but if your thoughts are not trained and mastered you won't get the performance you're truly capable of - lots of people are good at getting fit and strong but fall apart in the execution of the race - they often blame lack of salt - dehydration - bad luck - bad weather 😢 every training session should have a mental component

• Like 1

On 10/05/2018 at 12:51 PM, AP said:

I've been saying it for years - this game is 70% mental - you can be super fit but if your thoughts are not trained and mastered you won't get the performance you're truly capable of - lots of people are good at getting fit and strong but fall apart in the execution of the race. 😢

This is me to a tea. 

Strong as an ox in the training. 

Put me in an event..... Mental puddle on the ground. 

Well done AP. Bloody great effort 

Strong as an ox in the training. 

Put me in an event..... Mental puddle on the ground. 

This can be fixed - you have to have a mental picture of how you'd like to be seen by others - then become that person - start by taking the tough option everytime you face a choice - it'll become a habit 😎

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AP said:

start by taking the tough option everytime you face a choice - it'll become a habit 😎

This is a great self test. Will keep this in mind. Thanks for that!

I said to my wife how old do you reckon this guy is......

she said in his early fifties! I would agree if I didn’t know what AG you race.....You look nothing like 80-74! Good job