nealo

Ironman Aus 2018 - The good, the bad and the ugly

1 minute ago, Surfer said:

The swim was always called the 'the washing machine' , noone says that anymore

It might induce a panic attack.... 

3 hours ago, pieman said:

What does it work doing?  It doesn't seem to stop drafting and swim deaths at IMAus are still at zero aren't they..?

The swim at IM Aus is narrow, with the first turn close to the start 20m, then the second  200-300m max. Then swimming back the way you came. 

A mass start would not work on the current course as too narrow congested. But on a course like Taupo it can. Due to the narrow course I thought the staggered start was better than wave starts; because i am a crap swimmer and then just get swum over by the next wave. 

I did the old 2 lap course with mass start in 08,09,10. I think the 2018 course was better. 

The issue i had was not the staggered start, but the lack of hype, build up of what you are going to achieve was lacking. There was only standing in ques; registration, bike racking, swim start. This took the shine off the weekend.

3 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

It might induce a panic attack.... 

A rolling start mean no washing machine. I love the mass start 

• Like 2

Yep, embrace the biff and the whirlpool effect. Also the gun time start meant you knew where you stood with people in front or behind you

36 minutes ago, Parkside said:

Also the gun time start meant you knew where you stood with people in front or behind you

I've been thinking about this one. It was always my gripe against the rolling start, but all I kept hearing back was "race your own race", "it doesn't really matter if you're only an AGer", etc etc.

What about now that there are AG only races. If everybody leaves on a rolling start, we could very easily get the winner crossing the line a few minutes after someone else. It could be a very confusing situation for everyone involved.

• Like 1

It also throws out the big midnight finish.

This year the official finish was at 12.35 am or some hokey time like that to give the last person entering the rolling start their full 17 hours. 

I thank the Ironman Gods that I got to experience a Mass start, the last one at Port in 2013. 

Wading out with the energy of the crowd beaming in, the announcements over the PA of instructions that you can't hear, the chopper over head, the nervous pee in the wetsuit, it was the best.

1 hour ago, roxii said:

It also throws out the big midnight finish.

This year the official finish was at 12.35 am or some hokey time like that to give the last person entering the rolling start their full 17 hours. 

So theoretically you can have the actual last finisher under 17hrs finish at 12:10am and a finisher cross the line at 12:30am that is over the cutoff but get most likely a bigger cheer?? :confused1: 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pieman said:

What does it work doing?  It doesn't seem to stop drafting and swim deaths at IMAus are still at zero aren't they..?

We lost a Trannie in the water during the 2007 IM in Port - the Green Machine (Mrs Chat’s hubby). Last years IM medal, towel and tshirt were styled on Ian’s rock from the break wall. 

FM

11 hours ago, pieman said:

It stops a hell of a lot of drafting.... I didn't see much drafting on race day. Though there was some good pacing in the pro ranks -7-8 metres between bikes.

8 hours ago, pieman said:

Totally agree.. Although I have only done the one it was at IMNZ and the cannon firing to start the washing machine (which was actually less argy bargy than a standard wave start at Mooloolaba) was  a massive highlight... if they get rid of this at IMNZ, I may not be back there to get my revenge on the course...

IMNZ is a very spacious "mass Swim start". They will never get rid of it.

A guy drowned at Ironman Texas last year during the swim & that was a rolling start. Older chap had a heart attack right near the swim exit.

7 hours ago, rory-dognz said:

The issue i had was not the staggered start, but the lack of hype, build up of what you are going to achieve was lacking. There was only standing in ques; registration, bike racking, swim start. This took the shine off the weekend.

I used to think the same.... we miss the hype and the spectacle of the mass start...... Then I realised..... who cares.....I am never going to be a spectator watching it unfold.

45 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

I used to think the same.... we miss the hype and the spectacle of the mass start...... Then I realised..... who cares.....I am never going to be a spectator watching it unfold.

It's not the hype & spectacle for the spectator. It's the hype spectacle & experience the competitor gets from it. Admittedly a "completitor" may see it differently, but to someone who is a real "Type A Competitor" there is nothing like the experience of a mass start, be it for an IM or even a sprint event.

So many young people are never going to experience that. Shoot me down for saying it, but for me, the mass start, and knowing exactly where you were in a race compared to everybody else was something I really loved about Triathlon.

• Like 4

I've done 5 ironman races and a few 70.3s. 

3 ironmans were rolling and 1 70.3.  I prefer them and feel there is more hype actually being able to understand the commentator.  Couldn't hear or understand them in the mass starts just bobbing waiting for the gun to go.

I generally hold my own in the swim but the rolling start allows me to race off the bat and not fight people.  I'm not a rough person and I don't want to punch and kick and swim over people I just wanna swim as fast as I can.

But regardless of what any of us think it is safer and causes much less angst for the majority of the field and that's what it' about.

Edited by RunBrettRun
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, IronmanFoz said:

I guess you missed my post.

Maybe you've done that many Ironman's you forget what it's like doing your first :P

Personally the people doing their first should be lauded and the event built around THEM.

2-9 Ironmans should suck it up and do it because you love it.

10+ should also be respected and treated like the first timers and loved for their dedication.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Surfer said:

The swim was always called the 'the washing machine' , noone says that anymore

They’ve obviously never seen me swim

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, nealo said:

I guess you missed my post.

Maybe you've done that many Ironman's you forget what it's like doing your first :P

Personally the people doing their first should be lauded and the event built around THEM.

2-9 Ironmans should suck it up and do it because you love it.

10+ should also be respected and treated like the first timers and loved for their dedication.

Regardless of how many I did I always loved carbo night. 

I even liked it when I went when I wasn’t racing. 

For me it is part of the build up to race day. 

• Like 4

Anybody that did "The World Cup" on the Gold Coast, can only look back and lament at what a spectacle you can make of the presentation if you really want to.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

2 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

It stops a hell of a lot of drafting.... I didn't see much drafting on race day. Though there was some good pacing in the pro ranks -7-8 metres between bikes.

I only saw 1 instance of obvious drafting, a male was practically rubbing wheels with Siddal, and I thought that may not be wise seeing as the lead women are followed by a bike😂

10 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

It is what you make it Al.

Remember the early days of the Stradbroke Tri with Bill Toohey. Presentation was on the lawn behind the pub, and that certainly didn't turn into a dull night.

1990 at Forster I can hardly remember presentation. My brother nearly finished a bottle of Bundy, and I went most of a carton of XXXX after the finish, so I couldn't have cared less where they put presentations the next day.

Interesting post-race carb-loading strategy...

15 minutes ago, The new guy said:

I only saw 1 instance of obvious drafting, a male was practically rubbing wheels with Siddal, and I thought that may not be wise seeing as the lead women are followed by a bike😂

I have no idea who it was, but the only real example of ABSOLUTE of drafting I saw all day was pretty much what you describe. The guy was literally 5cm off the wheel. And it was as blatant as I've ever seen it. 

1 hour ago, roxii said:

Regardless of how many I did I always loved carbo night. 

I even liked it when I went when I wasn’t racing. 

For me it is part of the build up to race day. 

Totally agree. 

• Like 1