Jump to content
nealo

Ironman Aus 2018 - The good, the bad and the ugly

Recommended Posts

On 12/05/2018 at 6:59 AM, Bored@work said:

What was wrong with the roll down & presentations? It looked like a lovely afternoon. Do you miss the stage? 

It was a lovely day this year but history tells us it often rains at this time of year in Port - what then? 

It's really cheapened a great event - the entry fees have either remained the same or gone up and the  trimmings of the event have gone down - I won't miss the "welcome banquet" I stopped eating at them a few years ago, but it's all part of the event that sets it apart from other lower budget events. 

We do it to challenge ourselves - and to be entertained - for me personally I compare the value to a music festival - after all it's a sports festival which is spread over a few days - I think if they lose that through cost cutting, the event will lose something which sets it apart from one days events 🤑

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, AP said:

It was a lovely day this year but history tells us it often rains at this time of year in Port - what then?

Then those that have been doing hill repeats in the rain won't have an issue. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/05/2018 at 6:18 AM, AP said:

BUT WALK SINGLE FILE

I'll remember this....... for when I never get there ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, AP said:

It was a lovely day this year but history tells us it often rains at this time of year in Port - what then? 

 

Just make it an automated online process for roll downs. I'm tipping less then 10% of people who raced actually go to the presentation anyway.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Just make it an automated online process for roll downs. I'm tipping less then 10% of people who raced actually go to the presentation anyway.

 

" this an automated text message from WTC. Congradulations!! Youre recent perfromance at Ironman Australia(tm) means that you have qualified for the Ironman(tm) World Championships at Kailua Kona on X October 20XX. To claim your spot, reply "Yes", immediately log in via www.active.com/notarealworldchampionship and pay your entry fee. To decline your spot, reply "No" and it will automatically role to the next eligible competitor. No response within 1 hour of the time this message was sent will result in forfeiture of your spot and automatic role down.

Aloha from WTC

#anthingispossible"

I wonder if AP could figure out how to reply to a text within an hour...?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't done an ironman since 2012 but I feel for the first timers that miss that great feeling of the Carbo night of standing up with all the other first timers.  And then the old keep standing if you have done 10 or 15 or 20 etc...  Until just one or 2 people are standing.

Awards night doesn't matter.  Rolldown the same.  ONly 10-15 people give a shit about that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Peter said:

I haven't done an ironman since 2012 but I feel for the first timers that miss that great feeling of the Carbo night of standing up with all the other first timers.  And then the old keep standing if you have done 10 or 15 or 20 etc...  Until just one or 2 people are standing.

Awards night doesn't matter.  Rolldown the same.  ONly 10-15 people give a shit about that.

I still get goose bumps thinking about standing up as a first timer in 2005 in Busso.

One of the ironman races I did gave out first timer numbers. I thought that was a cool idea, so you could give them some extra love out on course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome event. Only issue i had were the 2 people (maybe husband and wife) running side by side on the run. I was doing a run-walk at that time so had to run past them multiple times. The path is too small to do this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, 2bruisedplums said:

Awesome event. Only issue i had were the 2 people (maybe husband and wife) running side by side on the run. I was doing a run-walk at that time so had to run past them multiple times. The path is too small to do this.

love the user name, welcome to the forum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Just make it an automated online process for roll downs. I'm tipping less then 10% of people who raced actually go to the presentation anyway.

 

Just makes the event more povo, I think that would be a real loss. Those going to Kona should be celebrated, rolldown always rocks!

Our training group all go out and celebrate the various aspects that IMAus has now lost. Its a fantastic night out. Its a shame that those who achieve and the first timers in this event don't receive any recognition. If people don't want to go, that's fine there is no arm twisting, but there are a lot of people that opted to go and really enjoyed it. I noticed in the post event survey they asked a few targeted questions regarding to welcome diner etc, it will be interesting to see what the response is to the survey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Slunnie said:

Just makes the event more povo, I think that would be a real loss. Those going to Kona should be celebrated, rolldown always rocks!

Our training group all go out and celebrate the various aspects that IMAus has now lost. Its a fantastic night out. Its a shame that those who achieve and the first timers in this event don't receive any recognition. If people don't want to go, that's fine there is no arm twisting, but there are a lot of people that opted to go and really enjoyed it. I noticed in the post event survey they asked a few targeted questions regarding to welcome diner etc, it will be interesting to see what the response is to the survey.

I agree re the first timers, my comment was aimed at the Kona roll down. I'm tipping not many first timers go to the roll down ceremony.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I agree - I normally don't bother filling out the survey but this year I did - they need the feedback 

On the rolldown ceremony - when it was in the Glasshouse - they filled the theatre every time - maybe the "bitter and twisted" don't bother going but there are a lot of people involved in this sport who are not as jaded as some have become 😥

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to the Rolldown my first year. I was on a such a high I wanted to see next level high even though that wasn't on my radar.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did the survey, and still wondering how much i spent in Geelong has to do with Ironman Aus.

To summarize my survey response was that not having the pasta dinner and the way the start had no vibe, just a que getting shorter. It was no different to a half or club race. It was the events around the race that made IM unique.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I've never even been to Geelong - it's pretty low on the list of places I would like to visit - behind South Africa and Papua New Guinea 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AP said:

 

On the rolldown ceremony - when it was in the Glasshouse - they filled the theatre every time - maybe the "bitter and twisted" don't bother going but there are a lot of people involved in this sport who are not as jaded as some have become 😥

I'm not bitter or twisted. I love Ironman and the show they put on. It's awesome I'm glad they cut the carbo & awards nights. I like the $30 meal voucher and spending time with my family supporting the local community.

If my mates are in with a chance to get a spot,  I might go to roll down to watch their excitement but after 19 x ironman I have spent about 5min at one roll down ceremony (the first year in port).

At max capacity the glass house can hold is 588 ppl, that's a very small % of the people racing. Once you take out supporters and family who are along to watch.

Ironman should hold it at the Glasshouse again & charge a $20 entry fee. The people who want parade on stage will pay it. In fact I might add that as a suggestion on the next survey I fill out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AP said:

Yes I agree - I normally don't bother filling out the survey but this year I did - they need the feedback 

On the rolldown ceremony - when it was in the Glasshouse - they filled the theatre every time - maybe the "bitter and twisted" don't bother going but there are a lot of people involved in this sport who are not as jaded as some have become 😥

That's right up there with the most ridiculous comment from you.  Not as dumb as you only get mentally tough riding hill repeats in the rain, but close.

Believe it or not, some people don't actually care about Kona.

Others already have take their Kona spot.

Only those with the chance of a roll down should go and their mates.

FFS You didn't need to go.  You'd taken your spot before the rolldown.  You went for the LOOK AT ME Ego boost.  Nothing more.  Nothing less.

What I think is more sad is something that thinks their life can only be validated by going to Kona year in year out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's more than a hint of bitterness there - last year I chose not to go to Kona, I had other things I wanted to do - I still went along to the roll downs and to see the guys who got the rolled down places is always heart warming - I love it - it's a real highlight of the weekend - this year one of my squad got a roll down but was not ready to go just yet so he let it roll to the next guy - that guy couldn't believe his luck - it was beautiful 😪

Edited by AP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, AP said:

There's more than a hint of bitterness there - last year I chose not to go to Kona, I had other things I wanted to do - I still went along to the roll downs and to see the guys who got the rolled down places is always heart warming - I love it - it's a real highlight of the weekend - this year one of my squad got a roll down but was not ready to go just yet so he let it roll to the next guy - that guy couldn't believe his luck - it was beautiful 😪

Nope there isn't a hint of bitterness.

Touching story btw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roll down is or was cool when there were more slots. Seeing people get that roll down and the excitement is awesome. With few solts often see the same faces each year.

While cool for them, reality is this is getting harder and harder for many people to get a shot with often one slot per AG, so there is often little roll down, taking away from the spectacle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AP said:

There's more than a hint of bitterness there - 

You really don't get it.  

Not everyone thinks Kona is the be all you carry on about.

I know why you do.  It's your business.  You have to sell it. 

Others have it as a bucket list event.  Other have no interest at all in it.

But at the end of the day, Kona is just another event for a fringe sport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got an email today regarding Cairns and I only skimmed it but I think it said the Pasta Party is back!  I assume they're talking about pasta the food and not some new political party 😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

At max capacity the glass house can hold is 588 ppl, that's a very small % of the people racing. Once you take out supporters and family who are along to watch.

Ironman should hold it at the Glasshouse again & charge a $20 entry fee. The people who want parade on stage will pay it. In fact I might add that as a suggestion on the next survey I fill out.

588 people is a lot of people irrespective of if they compete, but why would you want people to have to pay to go in? There was never a charge in the past, why a new charge?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Slunnie said:

588 people is a lot of people irrespective of if they compete, but why would you want people to have to pay to go in? There was never a charge in the past, why a new charge?

It’s ironman if they can make money they will. If they have to rent a hall to keep a small percentage of the punters happy, why should everyone pay for it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×