nealo

Ironman Aus 2018 - The good, the bad and the ugly

On 12/05/2018 at 6:59 AM, Bored@work said:

What was wrong with the roll down & presentations? It looked like a lovely afternoon. Do you miss the stage? 

It was a lovely day this year but history tells us it often rains at this time of year in Port - what then? 

It's really cheapened a great event - the entry fees have either remained the same or gone up and the  trimmings of the event have gone down - I won't miss the "welcome banquet" I stopped eating at them a few years ago, but it's all part of the event that sets it apart from other lower budget events. 

We do it to challenge ourselves - and to be entertained - for me personally I compare the value to a music festival - after all it's a sports festival which is spread over a few days - I think if they lose that through cost cutting, the event will lose something which sets it apart from one days events 🤑

14 minutes ago, AP said:

It was a lovely day this year but history tells us it often rains at this time of year in Port - what then?

Then those that have been doing hill repeats in the rain won't have an issue. ;)

On 11/05/2018 at 6:18 AM, AP said:

BUT WALK SINGLE FILE

I'll remember this....... for when I never get there ;)

51 minutes ago, AP said:

Just make it an automated online process for roll downs. I'm tipping less then 10% of people who raced actually go to the presentation anyway.

11 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Just make it an automated online process for roll downs. I'm tipping less then 10% of people who raced actually go to the presentation anyway.

" this an automated text message from WTC. Congradulations!! Youre recent perfromance at Ironman Australia(tm) means that you have qualified for the Ironman(tm) World Championships at Kailua Kona on X October 20XX. To claim your spot, reply "Yes", immediately log in via www.active.com/notarealworldchampionship and pay your entry fee. To decline your spot, reply "No" and it will automatically role to the next eligible competitor. No response within 1 hour of the time this message was sent will result in forfeiture of your spot and automatic role down.

Aloha from WTC

#anthingispossible"

I wonder if AP could figure out how to reply to a text within an hour...?

• Like 1

I haven't done an ironman since 2012 but I feel for the first timers that miss that great feeling of the Carbo night of standing up with all the other first timers.  And then the old keep standing if you have done 10 or 15 or 20 etc...  Until just one or 2 people are standing.

Awards night doesn't matter.  Rolldown the same.  ONly 10-15 people give a shit about that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Peter said:

I haven't done an ironman since 2012 but I feel for the first timers that miss that great feeling of the Carbo night of standing up with all the other first timers.  And then the old keep standing if you have done 10 or 15 or 20 etc...  Until just one or 2 people are standing.

Awards night doesn't matter.  Rolldown the same.  ONly 10-15 people give a shit about that.

I still get goose bumps thinking about standing up as a first timer in 2005 in Busso.

One of the ironman races I did gave out first timer numbers. I thought that was a cool idea, so you could give them some extra love out on course.

Awesome event. Only issue i had were the 2 people (maybe husband and wife) running side by side on the run. I was doing a run-walk at that time so had to run past them multiple times. The path is too small to do this.

21 minutes ago, 2bruisedplums said:

Awesome event. Only issue i had were the 2 people (maybe husband and wife) running side by side on the run. I was doing a run-walk at that time so had to run past them multiple times. The path is too small to do this.

love the user name, welcome to the forum

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Just makes the event more povo, I think that would be a real loss. Those going to Kona should be celebrated, rolldown always rocks!

Our training group all go out and celebrate the various aspects that IMAus has now lost. Its a fantastic night out. Its a shame that those who achieve and the first timers in this event don't receive any recognition. If people don't want to go, that's fine there is no arm twisting, but there are a lot of people that opted to go and really enjoyed it. I noticed in the post event survey they asked a few targeted questions regarding to welcome diner etc, it will be interesting to see what the response is to the survey.

6 minutes ago, Slunnie said:

Just makes the event more povo, I think that would be a real loss. Those going to Kona should be celebrated, rolldown always rocks!

Our training group all go out and celebrate the various aspects that IMAus has now lost. Its a fantastic night out. Its a shame that those who achieve and the first timers in this event don't receive any recognition. If people don't want to go, that's fine there is no arm twisting, but there are a lot of people that opted to go and really enjoyed it. I noticed in the post event survey they asked a few targeted questions regarding to welcome diner etc, it will be interesting to see what the response is to the survey.

I agree re the first timers, my comment was aimed at the Kona roll down. I'm tipping not many first timers go to the roll down ceremony.

Yes I agree - I normally don't bother filling out the survey but this year I did - they need the feedback 

On the rolldown ceremony - when it was in the Glasshouse - they filled the theatre every time - maybe the "bitter and twisted" don't bother going but there are a lot of people involved in this sport who are not as jaded as some have become 😥

I went to the Rolldown my first year. I was on a such a high I wanted to see next level high even though that wasn't on my radar.

• Like 1

I did the survey, and still wondering how much i spent in Geelong has to do with Ironman Aus.

To summarize my survey response was that not having the pasta dinner and the way the start had no vibe, just a que getting shorter. It was no different to a half or club race. It was the events around the race that made IM unique.

Yeah I've never even been to Geelong - it's pretty low on the list of places I would like to visit - behind South Africa and Papua New Guinea 😁

1 hour ago, AP said:

On the rolldown ceremony - when it was in the Glasshouse - they filled the theatre every time - maybe the "bitter and twisted" don't bother going but there are a lot of people involved in this sport who are not as jaded as some have become 😥

I'm not bitter or twisted. I love Ironman and the show they put on. It's awesome I'm glad they cut the carbo & awards nights. I like the $30 meal voucher and spending time with my family supporting the local community.

If my mates are in with a chance to get a spot,  I might go to roll down to watch their excitement but after 19 x ironman I have spent about 5min at one roll down ceremony (the first year in port).

At max capacity the glass house can hold is 588 ppl, that's a very small % of the people racing. Once you take out supporters and family who are along to watch.

Ironman should hold it at the Glasshouse again & charge a $20 entry fee. The people who want parade on stage will pay it. In fact I might add that as a suggestion on the next survey I fill out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AP said:

Yes I agree - I normally don't bother filling out the survey but this year I did - they need the feedback 

That's right up there with the most ridiculous comment from you.  Not as dumb as you only get mentally tough riding hill repeats in the rain, but close.

Believe it or not, some people don't actually care about Kona.

Others already have take their Kona spot.

Only those with the chance of a roll down should go and their mates.

FFS You didn't need to go.  You'd taken your spot before the rolldown.  You went for the LOOK AT ME Ego boost.  Nothing more.  Nothing less.

What I think is more sad is something that thinks their life can only be validated by going to Kona year in year out. 

There's more than a hint of bitterness there - last year I chose not to go to Kona, I had other things I wanted to do - I still went along to the roll downs and to see the guys who got the rolled down places is always heart warming - I love it - it's a real highlight of the weekend - this year one of my squad got a roll down but was not ready to go just yet so he let it roll to the next guy - that guy couldn't believe his luck - it was beautiful 😪

Edited by AP

19 minutes ago, AP said:

There's more than a hint of bitterness there - last year I chose not to go to Kona, I had other things I wanted to do - I still went along to the roll downs and to see the guys who got the rolled down places is always heart warming - I love it - it's a real highlight of the weekend - this year one of my squad got a roll down but was not ready to go just yet so he let it roll to the next guy - that guy couldn't believe his luck - it was beautiful 😪

Nope there isn't a hint of bitterness.

Touching story btw.

Roll down is or was cool when there were more slots. Seeing people get that roll down and the excitement is awesome. With few solts often see the same faces each year.

While cool for them, reality is this is getting harder and harder for many people to get a shot with often one slot per AG, so there is often little roll down, taking away from the spectacle

1 hour ago, AP said:

There's more than a hint of bitterness there - 

You really don't get it.  

Not everyone thinks Kona is the be all you carry on about.

I know why you do.  It's your business.  You have to sell it. 

Others have it as a bucket list event.  Other have no interest at all in it.

But at the end of the day, Kona is just another event for a fringe sport.

Got an email today regarding Cairns and I only skimmed it but I think it said the Pasta Party is back!  I assume they're talking about pasta the food and not some new political party 😃

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

At max capacity the glass house can hold is 588 ppl, that's a very small % of the people racing. Once you take out supporters and family who are along to watch.

Ironman should hold it at the Glasshouse again & charge a $20 entry fee. The people who want parade on stage will pay it. In fact I might add that as a suggestion on the next survey I fill out.

588 people is a lot of people irrespective of if they compete, but why would you want people to have to pay to go in? There was never a charge in the past, why a new charge?

23 minutes ago, Slunnie said:

588 people is a lot of people irrespective of if they compete, but why would you want people to have to pay to go in? There was never a charge in the past, why a new charge?

It’s ironman if they can make money they will. If they have to rent a hall to keep a small percentage of the punters happy, why should everyone pay for it?

58 minutes ago, Slunnie said:

33 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

It’s ironman if they can make money they will. If they have to rent a hall to keep a small percentage of the punters happy, why should everyone pay for it?

I can see WTC doing it, but can you imagine the outcry? You have to pay extra just to be there in the hope you get a roll down.

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I can see WTC doing it, but can you imagine the outcry? You have to pay extra just to be there in the hope you get a roll down.

The same people screaming blue murder, will be the same people lining up to pay the cash. Like the people who whinge & bitch about the active fee but keep entering the races.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bored@work said:

They should charge people at the aid stations too. I only pick up water on the bike. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AP said:

Going into bat for AP here. I suspect he also gets great satisfaction seeing one of his own squad get a spot......

i think it would be gratifying for both coach and competitor!

• Like 2

On 14/05/2018 at 11:12 AM, Bored@work said:

This post reminded me of the good old days when you had to qualify for ironman oz or be accepted. I remember rushing home as my wife told me there was a message on the answering machine from some from forster wanting to know if you want to participate in ironman. I was over the moon.

I think the wait from qualifying race to phone call was about 3 or 4 weeks.

Needless to say thing's have progressed a bit technology wise since then.

Edited by The Chump
  • Like 2

I remember having to beg for a spot because my 5:22 on the Gold Coast and 5:30 in Devonport wasn’t good enough. 

Qualification ended the next year which is good because I’ve never gone much faster in a half. 

8 minutes ago, Shuffla said:

I remember having to beg for a spot because my 5:22 on the Gold Coast and 5:30 in Devonport wasn’t good enough. 

Qualification ended the next year which is good because I’ve never gone much faster in a half. 

I did a 5:15 in Forster and needed to do a 5:12 that year to get in.  Then waiting from November until Jan to get a call from Glenda.  She did and I was in.

Similar in 2004.  The call never came.  Did IMNZ instead. Worst part, had to see the inlaws whilst there.

• Like 1

I'd never done anything longer than an OD. I'd just broken up with my ex, so was doing a lot more training and thought "what the heck". I wrote off begging, and a few weeks later got the "all good, come on down". That led to the hardest day of my life, but taught me a lot about what I could get through if I really needed to. :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Going into bat for AP here. I suspect he also gets great satisfaction seeing one of his own squad get a spot......

i think it would be gratifying for both coach and competitor!

Never said it wouldn't be a good for the athlete and coach. I question why they need a stage & a warm venue. It's an added cost to run the event and one most of the paying competitors don't care about.

36 minutes ago, Peter said:

I did a 5:15 in Forster and needed to do a 5:12 that year to get in.  Then waiting from November until Jan to get a call from Glenda.  She did and I was in.

Similar in 2004.  The call never came.  Did IMNZ instead. Worst part, had to see the inlaws whilst there.

I had a blinder and did a 4.45 in Forster and missed auto qualification by one slot. I was about to head overseas and couldn't do another qualification race. Thankfully someone pulled out within a few days so I got my spot within a week. 

Its amazing the looks you get when you tell people a 4.45 half Ironman wasnt fast enough to qualify. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, roxii said:

I had a blinder and did a 4.45 in Forster and missed auto qualification by one slot. I was about to head overseas and couldn't do another qualification race. Thankfully someone pulled out within a few days so I got my spot within a week. 

Its amazing the looks you get when you tell people a 4.45 half Ironman wasnt fast enough to qualify. 

I'm hearing you. My fastest ever Half was  August 1998 in Forster in 4:51( with a 2:30hr bike that I've never been close to again) .Missed out on the auto-qualification and had to sweat it out till Glenda's phone call in January 1999.

On 14/05/2018 at 5:32 PM, A2K said:

Got an email today regarding Cairns and I only skimmed it but I think it said the Pasta Party is back!  I assume they're talking about pasta the food and not some new political party 😃

Don’t WTC know they should be offering a LCHF alternative (or at very least a gluten free one)?

On 14/05/2018 at 5:32 PM, A2K said:

Double

Edited by trilobite

7 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Never said it wouldn't be a good for the athlete and coach. I question why they need a stage & a warm venue. It's an added cost to run the event and one most of the paying competitors don't care about.

Fair call and agree.

Also I was a big fan of the Carbo and Preso and I think for the first timers they miss out with the current format. Having said that I feel the current format works well and should remain........especially if it keeps cost stagnant.... which is seems to have.

Also again....I hated the idea of a rolling swim start.....but again it works.

I think Ironman should be applauded for trying new things etc.

They are adapting.....why can’t we!

7 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Fair call and agree.

Also I was a big fan of the Carbo and Preso and I think for the first timers they miss out with the current format. Having said that I feel the current format works well and should remain........especially if it keeps cost stagnant.... which is seems to have.

Also again....I hated the idea of a rolling swim start.....but again it works.

I think Ironman should be applauded for trying new things etc.

They are adapting.....why can’t we!

What does it work doing?  It doesn't seem to stop drafting and swim deaths at IMAus are still at zero aren't they..?

Rolling swim starts are here to stay. I won't be surprised when all races are rolling starts. (this allows them to get more people on the course = more money)

If WTC can cut costs and find another revenue stream, they will.  Look at race numbers, for years the old sharpie was good enough. Now you can buy tattoo transfers.

It's a business and they need to make money.

Cutting the carbo & awards nights saves money, puts more money into the local hospitality trade (a lot of the owners will be on the council or friends with someone on the council) For IM it's a smart move, saves money, good for PR & keeps the council happy. 

If there is a demand for a carbo party they could charge $50 a head for everyone to attend & the first timers and people who want to go will still pay it. 

I really like the highlight and promotional videos they played at the old carbo party but I can't justify my family paying $100 for crap food & stinky toilets. We head to a local cafe and chill out as a family before the race. 

Mass start with everyone creeping before the cannon fires used to be a highlight when Ironman was hard.

• Haha 4

49 minutes ago, Parkside said:

Mass start with everyone creeping before the cannon fires used to be a highlight when Ironman was hard.

It was - I had a few scary moments but survived - little things like that do colour our memories - we used to do "fancy dress" for presentations and go on to the after party at Forster - great memories - now is presentations in the pub yard and home for an early night - where has life gone? :wheelchair: Next year it'll be slippers and a dressing gown at presentations - it'll probably be held in the car park

1 hour ago, Parkside said:

Totally agree.. Although I have only done the one it was at IMNZ and the cannon firing to start the washing machine (which was actually less argy bargy than a standard wave start at Mooloolaba) was  a massive highlight... if they get rid of this at IMNZ, I may not be back there to get my revenge on the course...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AP said:

now is presentations in the pub yard and home for an early night - where has life gone? 

It is what you make it Al.

Remember the early days of the Stradbroke Tri with Bill Toohey. Presentation was on the lawn behind the pub, and that certainly didn't turn into a dull night.

1990 at Forster I can hardly remember presentation. My brother nearly finished a bottle of Bundy, and I went most of a carton of XXXX after the finish, so I couldn't have cared less where they put presentations the next day.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

5 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

It is what you make it Al.

Remember the early days of the Stradbroke Tri with Bill Toohey. Presentation was on the lawn behind the pub, and that certainly didn't turn into a dull night.

1990 at Forster I can hardly remember presentation. My brother nearly finished a bottle of Bundy, and I went most of a carton of XXXX after the finish, so I couldn't have cared less where they put presentations the next day.

woah... you really were harder back in the day....

Just now, pieman said:

woah... you really were harder back in the day....

Too right. I couldn't stomach much more than a mouthful of XXXX these days. Shit it's bad.

23 minutes ago, pieman said:

Totally agree.. Although I have only done the one it was at IMNZ and the cannon firing to start the washing machine (which was actually less argy bargy than a standard wave start at Mooloolaba) was  a massive highlight... if they get rid of this at IMNZ, I may not be back there to get my revenge on the course...

The swim was always called the 'the washing machine' , noone says that anymore