nealo

Ironman Aus 2018 - The good, the bad and the ugly

On 08/05/2018 at 5:45 AM, lachie94 said:

... mount bike, rear derailleur won't move, lights flash but no action (it has full battery). Run bike back to transition but even Sram bloke has no idea what's wrong, basically it's just cooked.

Wonder what the Shimano guys would have said, had they been there???

27 minutes ago, goughy said:

Wonder what the Shimano guys would have said, had they been there???

I thought the same thing..

"I'm sorry sir but no matter what we do this will still be shimano... "

Good- the vibe in town pre race and during the day

-the weather was spot on

- the hills early seem to break the race up a fair bit

-the rolling start worked pretty well for the first group (only about 12-14 guys in the front swim pack) 

-aid stations seemed to be running  smoothly all day 

Bad

- the swim in port never feels like you know where you are going exactly

-yellow bouys in the water and yellow surf lifesavers on boards makes it tough going 

-congestion on the run with slow 70.3 competitors walking together 

- the road, we all know it’s bad but some of the massive lumps in the road were the direct cause of some pretty bad looking crashes, was discussing this today with a guy, as some of the lumps have been sprayed with paint who would be at fault if the crash victim was to chase someone for compensation?

-I wish they started earlier, anyone after 11:00ish spends part of their day in the dark! That would do my head in 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clintred said:

- the road, we all know it’s bad but some of the massive lumps in the road were the direct cause of some pretty bad looking crashes, was discussing this today with a guy, as some of the lumps have been sprayed with paint who would be at fault if the crash victim was to chase someone for compensation?

My mate hit a hole coming back from the quarry. Just got discharged from hospital with broken collarbone, two broken ribs, punctured lung and busted knee. 

While he was waiting for the ambulance a council worker came down, painted a circle around the hole and put up a witches hat. 

• Sad 1

I did the 70.3 and the course is set up for the ironman.
Our ride was 500m long as the Ironman turn early for the second lap.
Our run was 600m long as well as the transition and finish line are in different spots. 

Edited by MackaEvo2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MackaEvo2 said:

Our run was 600m long as well as the transition and finish line are in different spots. 

Oh the humanity 

1 hour ago, Shuffla said:

My mate hit a hole coming back from the quarry. Just got discharged from hospital with broken collarbone, two broken ribs, punctured lung and busted knee. 

While he was waiting for the ambulance a council worker came down, painted a circle around the hole and put up a witches hat. 

Hilarious 

8 hours ago, Shuffla said:

I hope your mate is ok, so worse case scenario say he couldn’t work ever again is it ironman or the port council who will be copping the lawsuit? 

There were a fair few spots with paint on them, kind of admitting there’s a problem and not fixing it if you ask me.

It was a great day - great weather - great atmosphere - the cost cutting with the scrapping of tents for presentations etc is sad - OK - the voucher system is not a bad idea for local business - but a $30 per athlete voucher is a pretty good deal for Ironman when they have dropped two catered functions and saved the huge cost of the marque - and a pretty rough deal for the competitor who has the same entry fee ------------- one thing they need to address is some form of shelter for roll downs and presentations - this was seriously SECOND CLASS 

The bumpy road out at Dunbogan - instead of reconstructing the road to actually iron out the bumps - they have just re-surfaced over them so that now it's all the same colour and in the shadows you can't see the bumps (local council, band aid solution)

-congestion on the run with slow 70.3 competitors walking together 

This is plain rude - not only 70.3 competitors - Ironman competitors having given up and deciding to walk side by side while athletes still racing are lapping them and having to find a way through - fair go - give up by all means, if that's your game plan - BUT WALK SINGLE FILE

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shuffla said:

council worker came down, painted a circle around the hole and put up a witches hat. 

Good on him for being proactive.  

Always good for me - is passing blokes on the bike (especially any hill)  and run. Love it especially when they zoom past me on the bike and then give up on the run.

Love the swim course and the great support on the run

and bonus - I passed two 70.3 competitors on the bike coming back into town

Edited by Youngy2
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, clintred said:

I hope your mate is ok, so worse case scenario say he couldn’t work ever again is it ironman or the port council who will be copping the lawsuit? 

There were a fair few spots with paint on them, kind of admitting there’s a problem and not fixing it if you ask me.

Surely the disclaimer you sign would prevent this... otherwise it would have been done I  the states already where they've had multitides of incidents with cars and collisions due to poor courses or marshal error 

4 hours ago, The Chump said:

So much bitchin and moaning but they'll all be back next year, along with 1000 or so others.

Actually that's why I started this thread because there didn't seem to be any moaning.

Also only 1069 finishers from what I see. Is that the lowest number ever?

With over 300 first timers there are only 650 or so returning from previous years. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, nealo said:

Actually that's why I started this thread because there didn't seem to be any moaning.

With over 300 first timers there are only 650 or so returning from previous years. 

Would be pre Port when it was still at Forster re low numbers, early on I suspect.

1 hour ago, nealo said:

Despite the best conditions in forever, if memory serves me right , IMVoice said about a 85% finish rate, which is way under the usual IMOz rate of ~95%.

• Like 1

Dies any one know what happened to Mr Blobby. He had a great race a few weeks prior in Melbourne and seemed fit and well when I saw him at Port but I didn’t see him on race day and tracker shows him only getting to 9k on the run. 

• Like 1

On 11/05/2018 at 5:48 AM, AP said:

----------- one thing they need to address is some form of shelter for roll downs and presentations - this was seriously SECOND CLASS 

What was wrong with the roll down & presentations? It looked like a lovely afternoon. Do you miss the stage? 

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

What was wrong with the roll down & presentations? It looked like a lovely afternoon. Do you miss the stage? 

No where to set up his amps 

images (2).jpeg

On Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 9:05 PM, MackaEvo2 said:

Value for money then. 

On 10/05/2018 at 9:05 PM, MackaEvo2 said:

Just be thankful we let you on our course ;). And remember we even let you guys start (get out of bed) earlier than us. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Just be thankful we let you on our course ;). And remember we even let you guys start (get out of bed) earlier than us. 

Not complaining. I actually love sharing the day with the Ironman guys. To race and then spend the day supporting everyone is a day well spent. The comments were more in regards to previous comments on the distance of the course being short. From my experience it didn't seem short. Also from mates who raced it seemed pretty spot on  

its a good day out for all. It's funny in that you hardly notice there is a 70.3 on at the same time. The start times are all well aligned. Though you do have to feel sorry for some of the 70.3 runners who are still out on the course when the Ironman punters like me are 2 laps into the run.

But at least there having a go.... So good on them. I would rather be slow and racing that sitting on a couch doing jack......

• Like 1

On 11/05/2018 at 11:15 AM, Youngy2 said:

Always good for me - is passing blokes on the bike (especially any hill)  and run. Love it especially when they zoom past me on the bike and then give up on the run.

Love the swim course and the great support on the run

and bonus - I passed two 70.3 competitors on the bike coming back into town

But you didn’t pass me 😋

8CA3F939-81B4-4411-A7D5-23AD59A7C12B.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/05/2018 at 6:18 AM, AP said:

It was a great day - great weather - great atmosphere - the cost cutting with the scrapping of tents for presentations etc is sad - OK - the voucher system is not a bad idea for local business - but a $30 per athlete voucher is a pretty good deal for Ironman when they have dropped two catered functions and saved the huge cost of the marque - and a pretty rough deal for the competitor who has the same entry fee ------------- one thing they need to address is some form of shelter for roll downs and presentations - this was seriously SECOND CLASS

This was also my feedback. The meals/tent changes were a cash grab and they've changed what I always though was an amazing and premium level event show inside the tent and carnival atmosphere into an event that is just like any other event. Over the last 2 or so years IMAus just looks very cheap to me now. I'll be interestetd to see what they do when it rains or we're out in the blazing sun again like last year. Out on course however it has improved, compared to the roads that I train on, the ones at IMAus are pristine.