nealo

Ironman Aus 2018 - The good, the bad and the ugly

Can't say there's been any real chatter about stuff ups or the like.

So what was good about this years layout?

How was the "vibe"?

Anything worthy of note?

IM talk were asking for the course distances..... Not sure what they were digging for? 

29 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

IM talk were asking for the course distances..... Not sure what they were digging for? 

Still to listen but guessing due to the course record being broken its fair to ask. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Peter said:

Still to listen but guessing due to the course record being broken its fair to ask. 

Oh. OK... 

I had 3 mates did it.  Their Stravas all come up short 4-5k for the ride and about 1.3k for the run. 

I have just done 20 Ironman Australia’s. If it was short it has been short every year. But I assure you it wasn’t short.

mike by computer recorded 181.25km and my Strava/Garmin recorded 179.1 and I didn’t turn it on til I was at least 500 metres down the road. The run was 41.7km but I reckon I didn’t hit the but for the first 2-300 metres.

if anything, the swim was long 3891 metres, but that could be me swim all over the place. Lol

• Like 3

I think it says a lot about what people think of IM/WTC, in particular after Texas, when after a new course record is set they're asking how accurate the course was, not congratulating the new record holder!  They only have themselves to blame for that.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

I have just done 20 Ironman Australia’s. If it was short it has been short every year. But I assure you it wasn’t short.

mike by computer recorded 181.25km and my Strava/Garmin recorded 179.1 and I didn’t turn it on til I was at least 500 metres down the road. The run was 41.7km but I reckon I didn’t hit the but for the first 2-300 metres.

if anything, the swim was long 3891 metres, but that could be me swim all over the place. Lol

Similarly, my 920XT showed 3828m for the swim, and the 510 showed 179.1.

Don't know how long the run was, because I was out there so long the battery ran out before the finish.😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

No way that course is short, the pre gps days are long gone.  It was just perfect weather. 

Edited by Oompa Loompa

All the reports I've received have been good. A Lot of people saying it was the best weather conditions for several years. No reports of distances being short. 

Gotta say, I had no problem getting on to the website and following things at a few different times during the day. And I was in central west Victoria, where the phone lines are still copper and NBN means, No Body kNows when it's coming. 

As Flanman said, just enjoy the event and no sniping from the side lines.

PS. I even had a look at Busso after getting an alert on surf net warning of large seas n the south west of WA. Well done to the race organiser for recovering the situation and running a modified event. Still better than a cancellation. 

• Like 1

Yep it was a pretty good day for it.

DSC_0100.JPG

• Like 4

As you probably realised by my last post, no one pissed apart from Matt Mcf and me. 

FM

Edited by Flanman

39 minutes ago, Flanman said:

As you probably realised by my last post, no one pissed apart from Matt Mcf and me. 

FM

Ha, ha,ha.

That's what I thought mate.

"Them 'beer mile' beers are coming out now."

Great work over the weekend. 

All we need to do is get the Tranny swim back to the good old days.

Despite what anyone says, this forum really comes to life leading into IMOz, and it's people like you that have made it that way.

• Like 2

So here’s a nice little story. 

I did the 70.3 (race report to come), and packing up tonight for an early departure tomorrow I realised I forgot to pick up my pump. As it was 6pm on Monday night there was no chance in hell I would be able to get it, and either wait for ages to get it back from Ironman or just forget about it. Heading over to dinner with the wife and kids, and I see a bunch of volunteers outside the pub so thought I’d ask anyway. Found the race director, who was having a drink with a lovely kiwi bloke named Arthur (who also works for IM). Explained my predicament - no big deal if I can’t get it now, so what’s the best way to get it back (eventually), etc.

Arthur offers to drive over to his apartment, grab the keys to the transition compound so I can get my pump, and then drop me back to the restaurant where my family are. What a champion.

A small gesture like that really goes a long way, and topped off a really great weekend regardless of the race. Just booked the accommodation for next year. 

• Like 7

My first at Port since 2010. So before the combined 70.3. 

No carbo night which was kind off missed as a opening for the event and getting into race mood. But upside was got to eat my choice of food. 

Town was busy. Felt left out because I wasn't wearing IM logo clothing. 

Race day. The rolling start doesn't build any its race day. The gun is going to go and go. The que evently shortened and i got into the water and started swimming.  But on that course a mass start wouldn't work as to narrow. 

The support on course was great. Lots of people out supporting especially at the south end of the course. they were there till the end as I am slow.

The run support was fantastic. The extra lap ment more times seeing the same supporters. Great vibe. I got a few best wishes from Trannies as i was wearing my cap

Distance was close enough on my watch. 

The finish line was great with the crowd, certainly having in on the town green meant more people around. 

Overall enjoyed the experience hugely. 

And 15 is the new 13 as we all get older.😤

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nealo said:

So no big tent carbo night?

How was the town green setup?

It works well. No need for the big tent anymore......unless it rains :)

7 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

It works well. No need for the big tent anymore......unless it rains :)

It's funny, i suggested removing the carbo & awards nigh years ago & the backlash from the forum was harsh.

Ahhh what a weekend.

Love Port and what an awesome event it puts on, will be back next year for sure.

Personally my weekend looked like this:

Left Melbourne Tuesday, night in Goulburn, about 180km from Port on Wednesday our engine carked it at 110km/hr and we found ourselves on side on Pacific Hwy. Got picked up by tow truck who took us to Buledulah to stay the night and then we awoke at 5am to jump back in for lift to Port Mac. About 60k from Port, tow truck broke down so another one had to be called.. Eventually we made it to Port only to find out it's not a quick fix, likely 25-30k to replace parts as they found swarf, indicating incorrect fuel in diesel engine, however we'v only ever put diesel in as we all have diesel cars so can't explain at this stage... Anyway, car likely a write off.. My girlfriend (bless her soul) took the brunt of the stress in organising hire cars etc. But eventually it all got sorted. Come race day, it was a good feeling just to have made it! After a decent enough swim (46.xx) I thought I was in a great position to be patient and have a good day... mount bike, rear derailleur won't move, lights flash but no action (it has full battery). Run bike back to transition but even Sram bloke has no idea what's wrong, basically it's just cooked. They say things come in threes so hopefully that's our three mechanicals out of the way! Cairns is now on the calendar, an opportunity I otherwise wouldn't have had. Starting a new job on Monday (3 days a week) which will also hopefully prevent me from overcooking the next 3 weeks of training. 

Well done to all those who got through it Sunday. No matter the conditions, that course ain't easy!

Edited by lachie94
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Lachie - sorry to hear of all your misfortunes but you always seem to keep a very positive mindset which is a huge credit to you.

As always Port put on a great event. The vollies are amazing and can never do enough for you all weekend. You can quickly get used to be treating like royalty which is always hard when you get home and anticipate the same level of service from the wife who has been home for five days with the kids 😬

This was the first IM I have been to without family there but on course you certainly don't feel alone and the crowd and athlete support is uplifting and encouraging.

The course definitely challenges those who haven't put in the work. The bike course still needs care as there are some rough areas when you aren't always expecting them. One of the bridges (I think near Lake Cathie) was at the bottom of a quick descent and was pretty lumpy and quickly woke you out of any mental slumber. 

My only grumble would be that a lot of the bidons I picked up (electrolyte) were only half full which made keeping the fluids up a lot harder. Not sure the reasoning for doing this unless most people drink and discard on the way through but when you are picking up to fill up a front bottle on course it's not enough fluids to get you through.

All said I will be heading back again next year. Great to see a few trannies in town and on course, sorry to not get chance to cross paths with more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lachie94 said:

Personally my weekend looked like this..

Great post Lachie.  I'm not overly interested in the pointy end athletes, it's the people just out enjoying the event, having a crack but not taking it too seriously that make this sport great.  I've just become a fan of one of the pointy enders...  Good luck in Cairns!

• Like 2

On 08/05/2018 at 5:45 AM, lachie94 said:

... mount bike, rear derailleur won't move, lights flash but no action (it has full battery). Run bike back to transition but even Sram bloke has no idea what's wrong, basically it's just cooked.

Wonder what the Shimano guys would have said, had they been there???

27 minutes ago, goughy said:

Wonder what the Shimano guys would have said, had they been there???

I thought the same thing..

"I'm sorry sir but no matter what we do this will still be shimano... "

Good- the vibe in town pre race and during the day

-the weather was spot on

- the hills early seem to break the race up a fair bit

-the rolling start worked pretty well for the first group (only about 12-14 guys in the front swim pack) 

-aid stations seemed to be running  smoothly all day 

Bad

- the swim in port never feels like you know where you are going exactly

-yellow bouys in the water and yellow surf lifesavers on boards makes it tough going 

-congestion on the run with slow 70.3 competitors walking together 

- the road, we all know it’s bad but some of the massive lumps in the road were the direct cause of some pretty bad looking crashes, was discussing this today with a guy, as some of the lumps have been sprayed with paint who would be at fault if the crash victim was to chase someone for compensation?

-I wish they started earlier, anyone after 11:00ish spends part of their day in the dark! That would do my head in 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clintred said:

- the road, we all know it’s bad but some of the massive lumps in the road were the direct cause of some pretty bad looking crashes, was discussing this today with a guy, as some of the lumps have been sprayed with paint who would be at fault if the crash victim was to chase someone for compensation?

My mate hit a hole coming back from the quarry. Just got discharged from hospital with broken collarbone, two broken ribs, punctured lung and busted knee. 

While he was waiting for the ambulance a council worker came down, painted a circle around the hole and put up a witches hat. 

• Sad 1

I did the 70.3 and the course is set up for the ironman.
Our ride was 500m long as the Ironman turn early for the second lap.
Our run was 600m long as well as the transition and finish line are in different spots. 

Edited by MackaEvo2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MackaEvo2 said:

Our run was 600m long as well as the transition and finish line are in different spots. 

Oh the humanity 

1 hour ago, Shuffla said:

My mate hit a hole coming back from the quarry. Just got discharged from hospital with broken collarbone, two broken ribs, punctured lung and busted knee. 

While he was waiting for the ambulance a council worker came down, painted a circle around the hole and put up a witches hat. 

Hilarious 

8 hours ago, Shuffla said:

I hope your mate is ok, so worse case scenario say he couldn’t work ever again is it ironman or the port council who will be copping the lawsuit? 

There were a fair few spots with paint on them, kind of admitting there’s a problem and not fixing it if you ask me.

It was a great day - great weather - great atmosphere - the cost cutting with the scrapping of tents for presentations etc is sad - OK - the voucher system is not a bad idea for local business - but a $30 per athlete voucher is a pretty good deal for Ironman when they have dropped two catered functions and saved the huge cost of the marque - and a pretty rough deal for the competitor who has the same entry fee ------------- one thing they need to address is some form of shelter for roll downs and presentations - this was seriously SECOND CLASS 

The bumpy road out at Dunbogan - instead of reconstructing the road to actually iron out the bumps - they have just re-surfaced over them so that now it's all the same colour and in the shadows you can't see the bumps (local council, band aid solution)

-congestion on the run with slow 70.3 competitors walking together 

This is plain rude - not only 70.3 competitors - Ironman competitors having given up and deciding to walk side by side while athletes still racing are lapping them and having to find a way through - fair go - give up by all means, if that's your game plan - BUT WALK SINGLE FILE

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shuffla said:

council worker came down, painted a circle around the hole and put up a witches hat. 

Good on him for being proactive.  

Always good for me - is passing blokes on the bike (especially any hill)  and run. Love it especially when they zoom past me on the bike and then give up on the run.

Love the swim course and the great support on the run

and bonus - I passed two 70.3 competitors on the bike coming back into town

Edited by Youngy2
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, clintred said:

I hope your mate is ok, so worse case scenario say he couldn’t work ever again is it ironman or the port council who will be copping the lawsuit? 

There were a fair few spots with paint on them, kind of admitting there’s a problem and not fixing it if you ask me.

Surely the disclaimer you sign would prevent this... otherwise it would have been done I  the states already where they've had multitides of incidents with cars and collisions due to poor courses or marshal error 

4 hours ago, The Chump said:

So much bitchin and moaning but they'll all be back next year, along with 1000 or so others.

Actually that's why I started this thread because there didn't seem to be any moaning.

Also only 1069 finishers from what I see. Is that the lowest number ever?

With over 300 first timers there are only 650 or so returning from previous years. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, nealo said:

Actually that's why I started this thread because there didn't seem to be any moaning.

With over 300 first timers there are only 650 or so returning from previous years. 

Would be pre Port when it was still at Forster re low numbers, early on I suspect.

1 hour ago, nealo said:

Despite the best conditions in forever, if memory serves me right , IMVoice said about a 85% finish rate, which is way under the usual IMOz rate of ~95%.

• Like 1

Dies any one know what happened to Mr Blobby. He had a great race a few weeks prior in Melbourne and seemed fit and well when I saw him at Port but I didn’t see him on race day and tracker shows him only getting to 9k on the run. 

• Like 1

On 11/05/2018 at 5:48 AM, AP said:

----------- one thing they need to address is some form of shelter for roll downs and presentations - this was seriously SECOND CLASS 

What was wrong with the roll down & presentations? It looked like a lovely afternoon. Do you miss the stage? 

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

What was wrong with the roll down & presentations? It looked like a lovely afternoon. Do you miss the stage? 

No where to set up his amps 

images (2).jpeg

On Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 9:05 PM, MackaEvo2 said:

Value for money then. 

On 10/05/2018 at 9:05 PM, MackaEvo2 said:

Just be thankful we let you on our course ;). And remember we even let you guys start (get out of bed) earlier than us. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Just be thankful we let you on our course ;). And remember we even let you guys start (get out of bed) earlier than us. 

Not complaining. I actually love sharing the day with the Ironman guys. To race and then spend the day supporting everyone is a day well spent. The comments were more in regards to previous comments on the distance of the course being short. From my experience it didn't seem short. Also from mates who raced it seemed pretty spot on  

its a good day out for all. It's funny in that you hardly notice there is a 70.3 on at the same time. The start times are all well aligned. Though you do have to feel sorry for some of the 70.3 runners who are still out on the course when the Ironman punters like me are 2 laps into the run.

But at least there having a go.... So good on them. I would rather be slow and racing that sitting on a couch doing jack......

• Like 1

On 11/05/2018 at 11:15 AM, Youngy2 said:

Always good for me - is passing blokes on the bike (especially any hill)  and run. Love it especially when they zoom past me on the bike and then give up on the run.

Love the swim course and the great support on the run

and bonus - I passed two 70.3 competitors on the bike coming back into town

But you didn’t pass me 😋

8CA3F939-81B4-4411-A7D5-23AD59A7C12B.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/05/2018 at 6:18 AM, AP said:

It was a great day - great weather - great atmosphere - the cost cutting with the scrapping of tents for presentations etc is sad - OK - the voucher system is not a bad idea for local business - but a $30 per athlete voucher is a pretty good deal for Ironman when they have dropped two catered functions and saved the huge cost of the marque - and a pretty rough deal for the competitor who has the same entry fee ------------- one thing they need to address is some form of shelter for roll downs and presentations - this was seriously SECOND CLASS

This was also my feedback. The meals/tent changes were a cash grab and they've changed what I always though was an amazing and premium level event show inside the tent and carnival atmosphere into an event that is just like any other event. Over the last 2 or so years IMAus just looks very cheap to me now. I'll be interestetd to see what they do when it rains or we're out in the blazing sun again like last year. Out on course however it has improved, compared to the roads that I train on, the ones at IMAus are pristine.