AA7

Busso 70.3 swim cancelled

The swim was the inshore course?  

Imagine the surf if it was an onshore breeze!

Have a friend racing who has sent me a video.... rain is pelting down sideways.

It looks really really ugly. I would not want a deep front wheel!!

F7388B21-31F5-4E95-A4EA-0ABEE74E3899.jpeg

Edited by Steno

A friend send me a photo of a tree that had been blown over about 100m from Transitions.

My FOMO from not being there this year has gone.

Hope everyone stays safe on the bike.

Guest FFF1077
2 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

A friend send me a photo of a tree that had been blown over about 100m from Transitions.

My FOMO from not being there this year has gone.

Hope everyone stays safe on the bike.

Yeah. It sounds intense 

37 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

Yeah. It sounds intense 

images (1).jpeg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

This is why people should train on Thursday morning in pouring rain doing hill repeats.

70% mental 

Wednesday is hill repeat day...

I suppose they couldn’t cancel due to sharks. Even they took cover. 

• Haha 1

Guest FFF1077
59 minutes ago, goughy said:

images (1).jpeg

That's ****ing terrible 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Bozzone is a machine 11 minute lead.

Terrenzo Bozzone 2:09.10
2. David Mainwaring 2:20.34
3. Blake Kappler 2:20.54
4. Craig Alexander 2:20.58
5. Guy Crawford 2:21.00

Top 3 female pros all DQed. Went 100m short on lap 1. Liz Blatchford becomes winner.

Screenshot_2018-05-06-16-41-33.png

When it comes to the crunch, it's always the competitors responsibility to know the course.  But 100mtrs, is that turning at the wrong cone out something?

If its like the past they have an early turn for motorbikes and cars. Then further on where bikes turn or at least they used to do that when i did it a few times. 

Edited by Peter

Peter ,that map you have put up is from ironman not TWA 70.3 and is about 6 years old.

May 70.3 doesent go anywhere near that area.

The girls turned 100m short of the far end of the run course ,despite being able to see the turn as it was marked with cones timing mats cameras and barriers.

The lead cyclist turned early to get out of their way and they followed him.They were told to go back but ignored the instructions.

Nobody else including torrenzo who was well in front of them made the same mistake and his lead cyclist did the same.

You could see the bloddy turn from where they were.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I was just giving an example but I couldnt find the maps online.

In theory the girls DQ'ed could claim they didnt know the course given the maps aren't online.

But it is weird if they were told and just ignored.  They deserve a DQ.

• Like 1

On 06/05/2018 at 7:51 AM, Steno said:

Have a friend racing who has sent me a video.... rain is pelting down sideways.

It looks really really ugly. I would not want a deep front wheel!!

It wasn't that bad. I had a disc and 808. People were having kittens and withdrawing because they only had a disc, but I was fine. A little bit of movement, but nothing dangerous. 

Swim cancellations in the last year (that I know of):

busso may - shark

Rotto tri oct - shark

Fremantle - Weather

Busso dec - shark

Hillarys dec - weather

Bunbury Feb - weather

Rotto feb - shark

Rotto march - weather

Busso May - weather

A lot of those weather swims were very swimmable. Fine you can't provide safety crew, then we'll swim without, if that makes you liable, then we'll form a seperate organisation where we can do it without safety crew. Because this is beyond a f*cking joke. 

Edited by zed

Guest FFF1077
12 minutes ago, zed said:

Swim cancellations in the last year (that I know of):

busso may - shark

Rotto tri oct - shark

Fremantle - Weather

Busso dec - shark

Hillarys dec - weather

Bunbury Feb - weather

Rotto feb - shark

Rotto march - weather

Busso May - weather

A lot of those weather swims were very swimmable. Fine you can't provide safety crew, then we'll swim without, if that makes you liable, then we'll form a seperate organisation where we can do it without safety crew. Because this is beyond a f*cking joke. 

Frustrating for sure. 

But it's catered for the mass participants nowadays 

You forget wa car drivers trying to kill cyclists. 

Get foxtel. Drink beers. Dont exercise. 

• Like 1

Straight from the horse's mouth!

42 minutes ago, zed said:

This was taken just after I left transition, 5.30am. The weather did improve slightly, but not by much!

https://youtu.be/LKSkizLHf0s

I would've been seriously tempted to stay in bed.

16 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Yeah it was pretty depressing. It did clear up a little bit, but still had squalls coming through. Run was better. But still hell windy.

4 hours ago, AA7 said:

I'm guessing the RD s would have been tempted to call the whole thing off! 

Guest FFF1077
11 minutes ago, Turts said:

I'm guessing the RD s would have been tempted to call the whole thing off! 

That's what I thought would happen. 

As I said on the Port Mac thread, good on the RD for making the call to go ahead with the race and pull it off. In these circumstances you are never going to get a perfect race and someone will always complain. There's always the question of competitor safety and welfare but if that is accounted for the only thing left is what to do for those who elect not to race the amended race format. Refund, partial refund or transfer to another event or nothing. What was offered at Busso?

29 minutes ago, Greyman said:

As I said on the Port Mac thread, good on the RD for making the call to go ahead with the race and pull it off. In these circumstances you are never going to get a perfect race and someone will always complain. There's always the question of competitor safety and welfare but if that is accounted for the only thing left is what to do for those who elect not to race the amended race format. Refund, partial refund or transfer to another event or nothing. What was offered at Busso?

I elected to not race. I hadn't really been on my bike since I came off and fractured my pelvis a couple of months ago. I was terrified in the wind on slick tyres and slick roads I would come off and hurt myself again, or be the victim of someone taking me out as they came off. I pulled the pin and chose to cheer instead.

Nothing was offered and I believe nothing will be. 

I am of the view the RD made the right call to call off the swim. Had it not been called off, I wouldn't have swum. 

I was not there, but unless conditions are catastrophic ( at any event ), I don't think it should be called off. Yes, the RD's have a duty of care, but so do athletes.  If you don't think you can complete the race safely, it should be you who pulls the pin - do your own risk assessment. 

How many F1 races have you seen, not started in bad weather - the drivers have a lot more to lose than a swimmer or cyclist. Ultimately, you race to the conditions or not race at all.

I'd be farkin angry if I'd trained hard, sunk a bucket load of dough into the trip, taken time off work and travelled only to get told 1/3 of the race has been canned or the course shortened.

9 hours ago, Bored@work said:

With that rain. I would have stayed in bed & got some cross training done

That's funny.

9 hours ago, Bored@work said:

just make sure you swap hands. Don't want to create any sort of imbalance..

• Haha 1

Just now, pieman said:

just make sure you swap hands. Don't want to create any sort of imbalance..

pffft please I'm a 40 year old male, had 26 years of practice. I got this. 

6 hours ago, softy said:

was not there, but unless conditions are catastrophic ( at any event ), I don't think it should be called off. Yes, the RD's have a duty of care, but so do athletes.  If you don't think you can complete the race safely, it should be you who pulls the pin - do your own risk assessment. 

Duty of Care.  

People are idiots. People make poor choices when they have something invested - such as training, time and cash - and can't be trusted to their own risk assessment.   Otherwise there would be no such thing as WorkSafe, workplace OH&S, etc.   People still speed on roads, don't drive to conditions, crash, kill themselves and others, and drown because they don't swim between the flags. 

People are idiots.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Katz said:

I elected to not race.

I am of the view the RD made the right call to call off the swim. Had it not been called off, I wouldn't have swum. 

10 hours ago, Bored@work said:

If this race was in Melb I would have stayed in bed too.

If I had spent the 3K to get to WA and do the race with acc/flights/car hire I would have gone out and raced.  Not enjoyed it.  I'm a fair weather athlete.

Guest FFF1077
46 minutes ago, Turts said:

Duty of Care.  

People are idiots. People make poor choices when they have something invested - such as training, time and cash - and can't be trusted to their own risk assessment.   Otherwise there would be no such thing as WorkSafe, workplace OH&S, etc.   People still speed on roads, don't drive to conditions, crash, kill themselves and others, and drown because they don't swim between the flags. 

People are idiots.  

Yes I am 😂

8 hours ago, softy said:

I was not there, but unless conditions are catastrophic ( at any event ), I don't think it should be called off. Yes, the RD's have a duty of care, but so do athletes.  If you don't think you can complete the race safely, it should be you who pulls the pin - do your own risk assessment. 

How many F1 races have you seen, not started in bad weather - the drivers have a lot more to lose than a swimmer or cyclist. Ultimately, you race to the conditions or not race at all.

I'd be farkin angry if I'd trained hard, sunk a bucket load of dough into the trip, taken time off work and travelled only to get told 1/3 of the race has been canned or the course shortened.

Totally agree with you Softly. That was my 5th swim cancellation in 1 year, so 5 swims canned from 10 races, including 2 x 70.3s. The weather wasn't great, but I've swam in a lot, lot worse. The Sorrento OWS was much worse, not quite as windy, but swell was big. 1000 swimmers (90% without wetsuits) managed to get through it without drowning. There was a 500m swim for kids and there were kids as young as 9 who got through the course. If you want to apply duty of care, don't let anyone in the water period. There are sharks there. Limit the speed to which people ride to 25km/hr and don't hold the events in temps over 25 C. I don't blame TWA, they were advised by SES that it was unsafe to swim, which I completely disagree with. Judge by the photo yourselves. There were some small waves, there was no large swell, no rips, no crazy currents wind was onshore, water was no deeper than 3m for the entire swim course, the course was close to shore, it's one of the easiest places to conduct water safety  and everyone had on a flotation device - wetsuit. 

At what point do we draw a line in the sand and just accept that we are going to take some risks and crack on. We cannot eliminate all risk and trying to minimise risk is hurting the sport. At least it is in WA. For sure  there are some very weak swimmers at these races who would struggle in anything other than perfect conditions. Maybe find a system whereby they don't get to do the race, use a previous swim time, over 40mins you don't get to swim or introduce some sort of swim test qualification or get us to sign a liability waiver form or have a separate events for the shit swimmers or any fvcking thing. 

31950278_10155169278400738_3821534940747530240_n.jpg

Edited by zed