AA7

Busso 70.3 swim cancelled

So there's no thoughts of doing a surf swim in a race over there any time soon?

2 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

So there's no thoughts of doing a surf swim in a race over there any time soon?

I know right.

That photo was taken just before race start. To be fair it was a little rougher than it looks in the picture, but not by much. There was certainly no large waves or swell. 

6 minutes ago, zed said:

Totally agree with you Softly. That was my 5th swim cancellation in 1 year, so 5 swims canned from 10 races, including 2 x 70.3s. The weather wasn't great, but I've swam in a lot, lot worse. The Sorrento OWS was much worse, not quite as windy, but swell was big. 1000 swimmers (90% without wetsuits) managed to get through it without drowning. There was a 500m swim for kids and there were kids as young as 9 who got through the course. If you want to apply duty of care, don't let anyone in the water period. There are sharks there. Limit the speed to which people ride to 25km/hr and don't hold the events in temps over 25 C. I don't blame TWA, they were advised by SES that it was unsafe to swim, which I completely disagree with. Judge by the photo yourselves. At what point do we draw a line in the sand and just accept that we are going to take some risks and crack on. We cannot eliminate all risk and trying to minimise risk is hurting the sport. At least it is in WA. For sure  there are some very weak swimmers at these races who would struggle in anything other than perfect conditions. Maybe find a system whereby they don't get to do the race, use a previous swim time, over 40mins you don't get to swim or introduce some sort of swim test qualification or get us to sign a liability waiver form or have a separate events for the shit swimmers or any fvcking thing. 

31950278_10155169278400738_3821534940747530240_n.jpg

Thanks Zed, this is the first pic Ive seen of the dangerous swim conditions. I swim in conditions like that because I swim in the ocean & thats what you get. And I love OW swimming😊

Now that these events are about mass participation & no qualifying system I feel the risk is assessed on the participants ability not an athletes ability

2 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Thanks Zed, this is the first pic Ive seen of the dangerous swim conditions. I swim in conditions like that because I swim in the ocean & thats what you get. And I love OW swimming😊

Now that these events are about mass participation & no qualifying system I feel the risk is assessed on the participants ability not an athletes ability

Exactly. This is the ocean people!

• Like 1

Maybe change temp cut off for wetsuits from 23 to 19, meaning virtually all races are no wetsuits? I would say change the cut off time for the swim, but then there are some very strong, older swimmers who just aren't quick, but can still swim in sh!t conditions. 

There were people standing around laughing and joking about how they only learned to swim 3 months ago or how they've done zero swim training... which is great that they're giving it a go, but not great when it influences swim cancellations. 

Edited by zed

27 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Exactly. Especially with the swim. I am guessing that many participants use the pool to train and rarely OW swims.

The other Ironman, must be laughing at clubhouses around the world - especially at Piha.!

13 hours ago, Bored@work said:

With that rain. I would have stayed in bed & got some cross training done

🤐

3 hours ago, Stikman said:

🤐

Hey stickman, how was the cross training last Sunday morning? 😂😂😂😂

I was thinking of this in the pool Zed. 

Unfortunately, Ironman is not for guys and girls like you. It's for the masses. Therefore it will be softened to suit. I wouldn't waste the energy on getting annoyed by it if I were you. Either that or go find a more hardcore endurance sport. Not having a go, just saying

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

I was thinking of this in the pool Zed. 

Unfortunately, Ironman is not for guys and girls like you. It's for the masses. Therefore it will be softened to suit. I wouldn't waste the energy on getting annoyed by it if I were you. Either that or go find a more hardcore endurance sport. Not having a go, just saying

nah all good. I can handle the occasional swim cancellation, but this season has been crazy. Got Cairns in 4 weeks then SA in Sep, so I'm sure I'll get a few swims in!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zed said:

nah all good. I can handle the occasional swim cancellation, but this season has been crazy. Got Cairns in 4 weeks then SA in Sep, so I'm sure I'll get a few swims in!

Yeah no sharks or crocs there... 😁

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, pieman said:

Yeah no sharks or crocs there... 😁

haha I don't think they care as much about health and safety in South Africa :)

• Like 1

And forget the swim cancellation in Busso.... 

That lava activity could effect the IM World Championship.... #endofdays #notblessed #whoupsetmadamepele 

7 hours ago, Stikman said:

🤐

You didn't......

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

If it's not on strava, it didn't happen 

🤣 Guess it didn't happen then. Sorry Stikman!

2 minutes ago, Katz said:

🤣 Guess it didn't happen then. Sorry Stikman!

tell him to change his garmin from 5 sec intervals to 2 sec intervals & it should register next time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Just now, Bored@work said:

tell him to change his garmin from 5 sec intervals to 2 sec intervals & it should register next time. 

LMAO.

7 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

You won the Internet tonight B@W

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FFF1077 said:

And forget the swim cancellation in Busso.... 

That lava activity could effect the IM World Championship.... #endofdays #notblessed #whoupsetmadamepele 

It's on the opposite side of the island

16 minutes ago, AA7 said:

It's on the opposite side of the island

At the moment..... 

3 hours ago, Bored@work said:

It's already on one second recording.  🙁

• Sad 2

One of the frustrations was that SES seemed to over-react. A meeting was held between all the officials at around 5.45, when a huge squall was coming through, as shown in my video. That was manic. But you could see on the radar that it was a very thin, small angry strip of bad weather that was going to last no more than 10mins. After that it was pretty much OK. SES were advising 100km/hr winds, but were they even using the tools at their disposal or just looking out the window? Similarly with the sharks, rushed, panicked decisions. Are the right people making the calls? 

Edited by zed

Well im

over here in Bietnam for the 70.3 tomorrow and have just received an email from sunrise events stating there is a possibility the swim may be canned tomorrow due to the Swell.  Seriously it’s bugger all, I went for a swim in it this morning and it’s absolutely fine, my 8yr old daughter was filthy they modified the swim for Ironkids today.  Apparently on he sprint this morning they had to pull 100 out of the swim!  Learn to swim in all conditions FFS.  Will find out tomorrow morning when I rock up if it’s a duathlon!  Never done one.

• Like 3

Asia doesn't have a swimming culture like Australia or California. The swim at Challenge Taiwan is in a concrete catchment basin (think of a pool 1 km x ~200 meters, with really opaque water), but even there some athletes had problems. Some even swam (if you want to call it that) with noodles.

• Haha 1

How long till there's an Ironman branded virtual Ironman? 

Endless pool for an hour or so 

Zwifting for 180km 

42km on a Treadmill