Andrew #1

Winterfish 2018

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Noooooooooooo............

Yeeeeeessssssss......... 

Over 18 months since I have been sick at all. I guess it's the last of the over training coming out of my system. 

10 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Cranky, if you want to swim Sunday, I'll probably head off at 6am. I left at 5:20 this morning under the light of the moon, and got that pestered by eels that I'm not going to do it again. I must have hit, or brushed against over a dozen of them, including one that jumped when my hand hit it and landed on me.

OK.  I'm in. 

9 hours ago, Tyno said:

Ex, it's not too late to edit out all the eel talk to increase your chances of Cranky showing ......

Too late. Saw it. Would'e been nice if he did though.

9 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

They was freaky this morning. It may have been the full moon. 

They disappear down into the depths after sunrise, so 6am will be fine.

I'm holding you to that.

They won't hurt me

They won't hurt me

They won't hurt me

8 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

Yeeeeeessssssss......... 

Over 18 months since I have been sick at all. I guess it's the last of the over training coming out of my system. 

No!

Rest up a little then harden up a lot 😂

• Like 1

Just had my best week ever for swimming due to winterfish, 5 swims in 5 day and hit the 10km total mark, Slept in a bit this morning but managed to get there for 1.6km to hit the 10

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Limited said:

Just had my best week ever for swimming due to winterfish, 5 swims in 5 day and hit the 10km total mark, Slept in a bit this morning but managed to get there for 1.6km to hit the 10

That's what this Winterfish is all about. Well done Limited.

2.8km in the pool today before racing off to give Plasma. Interesting that the harder the session I do, the lower my haemoglobin count is. And it's VERY predictable. I've even shocked the nurses by be able to tell them before the test whether it will be lower or higher than last time.

• Like 3

Arrived in Port Douglas today and had my first training type day since last Saturday. Still shaking off the cold but I swam 3 times for a grand total of 1.7km in the 30 metre hotel pool.

im baaack! Sort of ... ;)

• Like 3

50 done, nearly killed me. Fastest -km for a year or two this morning, still pathetically slow. 16-05

• Like 3

3 hours ago, batman said:

Fastest -km for a year or two this morning, still pathetically slow. 16-05

Ha. I would love to be that “slow”

Well it took a month of hard swimming to get there, it started off at 17-35 first day. Lifetimebest is 15-01 but those numbers are hone forever

• Like 1

This thread/challenge is the only reason I went to the pool today. Glad I did. But it was cold. Wasn't glad when I dived in. Glad I did now.

• Like 1

5km in the pool this morning. The local pool closes this Friday, so was thinking of doing 100 x 100 on the last day. I'd really love to try 100x100x100, so thought I'd go 50x100x100 this morning to give me an idea of what my chances would be.

Fark that was hard. I kept the first couple dozen around 1:32, then slowly faded to around 1:35 for the last few. I may still have a go at it, but might have to resort to 1:45 for the last few dozen. The other issue will be my right calf. After a while my left knee hurts pushing off, so I use my right leg more when pushing off. I was just starting to get a niggle like a cramp was on its way toward the end today.

Friday will be interesting. :)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, pieman said:

... "last few dozen..." = double most peoples whole workouts

And the full extent of most of my pool workouts. 

Last day of the season, and 100 x 100 is a tradition.

• Thanks 1

I'm still sick. Can't shake my flu/mucus production cycle. It'll be a week till I get back to the pool. Want to get rid of it. 

Bailing on my swim too... :( We'll call it, being sensible. 

Nudging up by 1.8km today... just have no mojo for swimming at the moment. I think making Baitfish should still be doable though.

5 hours ago, monkie said:

Nudging up by 1.8km today... just have no mojo for swimming at the moment. I think making Baitfish should still be doable though.

Could be my poor eyesight or maybe my mindset at the moment but I read that as barfish 😄

• Like 1

Despite backing off for the last week or 2 because of chronic L shoulder pain I've just entered the Magnetic Island to Townsville 8k open water swim. Perhaps not the smartest move I've ever made. 

Edited by Mike Del
  • Confused 1

Winterfish lived up to its name this morning. 2.4km OWS in the dam. It's been a few days since I've swum there, and it seems to have dropped temperature heaps. Normally the "brain freeze" lasts about 30 seconds then settles down. This morning it was painful for 5 minutes, and lingering there for another 5. I might try 2 caps next time. I could feel the cold a lot more in my arms this time too.

I don't think there'll be many more swims out there this winter. With my local pool closing in 2 days, I think I'll need to make the effort to get to Centenary a couple times a week.

Hey Cranky, how busy is the pool when you guys hop out around 6am?

I've started doing a lot more 400s in my swim workouts. Reason being I did a 5 x 400m main set with a mate and I struggled to get through them. It's called Crowie's 400s:

1 x 400m 75%

1 x 400m 150m hard 50 easy 150 hard 50 easy

1 x 400m 100m hard 100m easy 100m hard 100 easy

1 x 400m 150 easy 50m hard 150 easy 50 hard

1 x 400m 100 easy 100 hard 100 easy 100 hard

I thought I was swim fit until I did that... 

So I try and do that set once a week. 

12 hours ago, Mike Del said:

Despite backing off for the last week or 2 because of chronic L shoulder pain I've just entered the Magnetic Island to Townsville 8k open water swim. Perhaps not the smartest move I've ever made. 

Smart is boring. Enjoy life. Don't be sensible.

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I don't think there'll be many more swims out there this winter. With my local pool closing in 2 days, I think I'll need to make the effort to get to Centenary a couple times a week.

You'd probably be sharing with 4 or 5

Come at 4am. It's so much more fun!

8 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Come at 4am. It's so much more fun!

But then I'd have to get up at 3am. 

Haven't I made it obvious enough that I don't want it that much. :)

12 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

But then I'd have to get up at 3am. 

Haven't I made it obvious enough that I don't want it that much. :)

No

42 minutes ago, Cranky said:

You'd probably be sharing with 4 or 5

Is that per lane, or in the pool.

5 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Winterfish lived up to its name this morning. 2.4km OWS in the dam. It's been a few days since I've swum there, and it seems to have dropped temperature heaps. Normally the "brain freeze" lasts about 30 seconds then settles down. This morning it was painful for 5 minutes, and lingering there for another 5. I might try 2 caps next time. I could feel the cold a lot more in my arms this time too.

You're making me feel soft Ex.  Had to get out of the pool on Sunday after 2km as I got too cold (it was 24.5 degrees).  I was so soft yesterday that I drove miles away to get to an indoor pool that was 27 degrees.  Today I went back to the usual pool - it was just over 25 degrees and again, I had to get out after 2km.   :blush: