Andrew #1

Winterfish 2018

8 hours ago, pieman said:

Get some burly from your local bait shop. Apply liberally. Stingers hate it... biters might love it

Funny story... 

Guy at work grew up in Watermans, Perth suburb on the coast. He surfed from the age of 8 till 30 ALL YEAR. He honestly NEVER SAW A shark. But, that was during the commercial fishing of sharks. Not now days where everything is sacred etc etc etc. 

Did a 800m swim in freezing water in Joffre Gorge in Karijini NP in WA. Amazing.

• Like 2

On 16/05/2018 at 9:39 AM, FFF1077 said:

I'd love to have the opportunity to get lots of ows done. My work and life schedule dictates otherwise. 

I ****ing suck at ows. But it is a work in progress. 

Is there anything you can put on your body besides a wetsuit to ward off stingers? I'm thinking ahead for next summer. I'm not tough enough to put up with the stings on my neck and arms. Face I can't do anything about. 

I was told invisible zinc was the go for jellyfish.  The one time I used it for an OW swim it seemed to work.  Bumped into a couple and didn’t get any reaction. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AA7 said:

Did a 800m swim in freezing water in Joffre Gorge in Karijini NP in WA. Amazing.

Don’t forget to add the OW swim you did with the sharks - I know they were whale sharks, but swimming with sharks sounds so much more impressive 😂

• Like 1

Thank you to the secret squirrel who has been stalking my Garmin Connect / Strava and updating the spreadsheet on my behalf! :)

• Like 1

3km this morning, I just can’t seem to be able to go any further, just doing straight swimming tho

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, batman said:

3km this morning, I just can’t seem to be able to go any further, just doing straight swimming tho

Pop a bouy in once you've hit 3km? Just to see what happens? Even if you get another 200m...? 

• Thanks 1

Just 2km at the local pool this morning. Only had a half hour available (I forgot to get up at 3am) so had to be done with that. It certainly was a gutbuster though. 14:35 for the first km, then 7:35 for the next 500m, but fell to bits in the last few hundred. I was trying to do a 30min time, but obviously went out way too hard. Maybe next time. :)

• Like 1

Current situation in Perth. THAT'S why I want to get stronger in OWS 

15267062258531933961112.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, batman said:

If you want to go further, just add something different to it. As FFF suggested, throw a PB in when you think you've had enough. Similarly, you could get to 3km, then start doing a few lengths of breastroke up, freestyle back. You can either do it as F/S sprints with the B/S as recovery, or do drills in the F/S. 

Or if you are happy with 3km and just want to mix it up, try something like what I did the other day. 500, 400....100, 100....500. You work out what pace will be a hard 100m for you to do. then 10 the 500m 20sec/100m slower as your W/U, then the 400m is 5sec/100m faster, the 300 faster again and so on. You should only have 10-15 sec break between them (none after the W/U). Then on the way back up, you only increase the pace by 3sec per 100m each increase in distance.

At the end of that you can do a couple hundred as W/D if you want & it will give you a little more than 3km.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

Don’t forget to add the OW swim you did with the sharks - I know they were whale sharks, but swimming with sharks sounds so much more impressive 😂

In huge swells and wind. Looking back, i cant believe we all just blindly trusted the crew saying 'jump now', and we all just jumped into deep blue ocean. And we did actually see a real shark further below. Scary shit.

It was a very surreal experience. Jump in, head down and kick like crazy following a huge fish. It was bloody hard work. I couldnt really stroke as i had a gopro in one hand. Then once you got too tired, you swim back to the rest of the group and guide and wait for the boat to come back and pick you up. The swells made it cery hard to see anyone else and you had to get your timing right to get back up on the backboard of the boat. But id do it all again.

Edited by AA7
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, batman said:

tomorrer

Is that the day after tomorrow? 🤔

7.6km OWS this morning. 4 laps of the 1.7km circuit, then turned at the half point of the 5th. I built into it with an average paced first lap, then faster for each of the next 2, and the same time as the 3rd, for the 4th. I swam hard for the first half of the short lap, then easy with a bit of breast-stroke on the way home.

Absolutely buggered now, as I went from there to Mum's to mow the lawn, then this afternoon spent nearly 2 hours on the end of a crowbar digging holes.

Time for a scotch methinks.

• Like 4

3.4km this morning. I swear the dam is getting colder by 3 degrees a day. I felt good after a frigid start and a bit of brain freeze, but toward the end my left deltoid was starting to feel sore. It's normally my right shoulder that plays up, and not normally the deltoid, then I remembered the crowbar session yesterday. All good.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

then I remembered the crowbar session yesterday. All good.

Haven't heard of that bar,  is it out Samford way? 

• Haha 1

BTW did 7.8k last week including 3.8 yesterday. Longest swim and biggest week in 3 years I think. 

• Like 1

Day off for me, shoulders are rooted, havent swum this much in years

• Like 1

I had to go to the dentist tonight after work for the first visit for a crown on a front tooth. He's just near the dam, so figured it'd make sense to leave work early and have another swim. It was amazing how much the top 50cm of water heats up during a sunny day. It was quite nice to swim in, except when you swam back over somewhere you've already swum & stirred the cold water back up into the warm.

2 laps again, this time I went steady out (about 1:45 pace), then hard back. First lap I did 12:40, which is about 14:50 km pace, the 2nd lap came back in 12:50 (15:10 pace). It seemed so much easier to swim in the afternoon. I never expected that pace for a couple of 850m reps, and at the end I wasn't really puffed either.

• Like 2

I'm back tomorrow evening. 4 days off and the shoulders and back feel OK. 

Aiming for a 15km week. 

• Like 2

Got in another 1.5km this morning, Had to wait 15min for the pool to open because the young guy forgot the keys

3km 

Swam waaayyyy too fast early in the swim. Slowed down to goal effort. 

Very happy with the swim 

Edited by FFF1077
Details
  • Like 2

3km for me again this morning. Pool day, so had a bit of a play around. 500, 400, 300, 200, 100. Did it at 1:40 pace, 1:35, 1:30, 1:25, 1:20. I went a little fast for the 200m, and came in in 2:45. Luckily I hadn't eaten before swimming, because I was gagging at the end, and any food would have come up for sure.

Then after a couple hundred Breaststoke & Backstroke, I did 10 x 100m on 1:40. Kept all around 1:28. It's annoying when I'm feeling good in the water, and the guy beside me is lapping 10sec/100m quicker. The only solace I take is that he's 10 years younger than me. Then again, I wish I waqs 10 years younger too. :( 

50 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

3... It's annoying when I'm feeling good in the water, and the guy beside me is lapping 10sec/100m quicker. The only solace I take is that he's 10 years younger than me. Then again, I wish I waqs 10 years younger too. :( 

no, what's really sad is when you are doing 5 x 100 with paddles AND flippers and the woman in the lane next to you is keeping pace (actually passing but I can hardly bare type that) doing breast stroke.... 

• Like 1