Andrew #1

Winterfish 2018

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Noooooooooooo............

Yeeeeeessssssss......... 

Over 18 months since I have been sick at all. I guess it's the last of the over training coming out of my system. 

10 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Cranky, if you want to swim Sunday, I'll probably head off at 6am. I left at 5:20 this morning under the light of the moon, and got that pestered by eels that I'm not going to do it again. I must have hit, or brushed against over a dozen of them, including one that jumped when my hand hit it and landed on me.

OK.  I'm in. 

9 hours ago, Tyno said:

Ex, it's not too late to edit out all the eel talk to increase your chances of Cranky showing ......

Too late. Saw it. Would'e been nice if he did though.

9 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

They was freaky this morning. It may have been the full moon. 

They disappear down into the depths after sunrise, so 6am will be fine.

I'm holding you to that.

They won't hurt me

They won't hurt me

They won't hurt me

8 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

Yeeeeeessssssss......... 

Over 18 months since I have been sick at all. I guess it's the last of the over training coming out of my system. 

No!

Rest up a little then harden up a lot 😂

• Like 1

Just had my best week ever for swimming due to winterfish, 5 swims in 5 day and hit the 10km total mark, Slept in a bit this morning but managed to get there for 1.6km to hit the 10

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Limited said:

Just had my best week ever for swimming due to winterfish, 5 swims in 5 day and hit the 10km total mark, Slept in a bit this morning but managed to get there for 1.6km to hit the 10

That's what this Winterfish is all about. Well done Limited.

2.8km in the pool today before racing off to give Plasma. Interesting that the harder the session I do, the lower my haemoglobin count is. And it's VERY predictable. I've even shocked the nurses by be able to tell them before the test whether it will be lower or higher than last time.

• Like 3

Arrived in Port Douglas today and had my first training type day since last Saturday. Still shaking off the cold but I swam 3 times for a grand total of 1.7km in the 30 metre hotel pool.

im baaack! Sort of ... ;)

• Like 3

50 done, nearly killed me. Fastest -km for a year or two this morning, still pathetically slow. 16-05

• Like 3

3 hours ago, batman said:

Fastest -km for a year or two this morning, still pathetically slow. 16-05

Ha. I would love to be that “slow”

Well it took a month of hard swimming to get there, it started off at 17-35 first day. Lifetimebest is 15-01 but those numbers are hone forever

• Like 1

This thread/challenge is the only reason I went to the pool today. Glad I did. But it was cold. Wasn't glad when I dived in. Glad I did now.

• Like 1

5km in the pool this morning. The local pool closes this Friday, so was thinking of doing 100 x 100 on the last day. I'd really love to try 100x100x100, so thought I'd go 50x100x100 this morning to give me an idea of what my chances would be.

Fark that was hard. I kept the first couple dozen around 1:32, then slowly faded to around 1:35 for the last few. I may still have a go at it, but might have to resort to 1:45 for the last few dozen. The other issue will be my right calf. After a while my left knee hurts pushing off, so I use my right leg more when pushing off. I was just starting to get a niggle like a cramp was on its way toward the end today.

Friday will be interesting. :)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, pieman said:

... "last few dozen..." = double most peoples whole workouts

And the full extent of most of my pool workouts. 

Last day of the season, and 100 x 100 is a tradition.

• Thanks 1

I'm still sick. Can't shake my flu/mucus production cycle. It'll be a week till I get back to the pool. Want to get rid of it. 

Bailing on my swim too... :( We'll call it, being sensible. 

Nudging up by 1.8km today... just have no mojo for swimming at the moment. I think making Baitfish should still be doable though.

5 hours ago, monkie said:

Nudging up by 1.8km today... just have no mojo for swimming at the moment. I think making Baitfish should still be doable though.

Could be my poor eyesight or maybe my mindset at the moment but I read that as barfish 😄

• Like 1

Despite backing off for the last week or 2 because of chronic L shoulder pain I've just entered the Magnetic Island to Townsville 8k open water swim. Perhaps not the smartest move I've ever made. 

Edited by Mike Del
  • Confused 1

Winterfish lived up to its name this morning. 2.4km OWS in the dam. It's been a few days since I've swum there, and it seems to have dropped temperature heaps. Normally the "brain freeze" lasts about 30 seconds then settles down. This morning it was painful for 5 minutes, and lingering there for another 5. I might try 2 caps next time. I could feel the cold a lot more in my arms this time too.

I don't think there'll be many more swims out there this winter. With my local pool closing in 2 days, I think I'll need to make the effort to get to Centenary a couple times a week.

Hey Cranky, how busy is the pool when you guys hop out around 6am?

I've started doing a lot more 400s in my swim workouts. Reason being I did a 5 x 400m main set with a mate and I struggled to get through them. It's called Crowie's 400s:

1 x 400m 75%

1 x 400m 150m hard 50 easy 150 hard 50 easy

1 x 400m 100m hard 100m easy 100m hard 100 easy

1 x 400m 150 easy 50m hard 150 easy 50 hard

1 x 400m 100 easy 100 hard 100 easy 100 hard

I thought I was swim fit until I did that... 

So I try and do that set once a week. 

12 hours ago, Mike Del said:

Despite backing off for the last week or 2 because of chronic L shoulder pain I've just entered the Magnetic Island to Townsville 8k open water swim. Perhaps not the smartest move I've ever made. 

Smart is boring. Enjoy life. Don't be sensible.

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I don't think there'll be many more swims out there this winter. With my local pool closing in 2 days, I think I'll need to make the effort to get to Centenary a couple times a week.

You'd probably be sharing with 4 or 5

Come at 4am. It's so much more fun!

8 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Come at 4am. It's so much more fun!

But then I'd have to get up at 3am. 

Haven't I made it obvious enough that I don't want it that much. :)

12 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

But then I'd have to get up at 3am. 

Haven't I made it obvious enough that I don't want it that much. :)

No

So far this week:

Sunday, Monday & Tuesday - 1.2km per day.

wednesday - 1.6km

42 minutes ago, Cranky said:

You'd probably be sharing with 4 or 5

Is that per lane, or in the pool.

5 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Winterfish lived up to its name this morning. 2.4km OWS in the dam. It's been a few days since I've swum there, and it seems to have dropped temperature heaps. Normally the "brain freeze" lasts about 30 seconds then settles down. This morning it was painful for 5 minutes, and lingering there for another 5. I might try 2 caps next time. I could feel the cold a lot more in my arms this time too.

You're making me feel soft Ex.  Had to get out of the pool on Sunday after 2km as I got too cold (it was 24.5 degrees).  I was so soft yesterday that I drove miles away to get to an indoor pool that was 27 degrees.  Today I went back to the usual pool - it was just over 25 degrees and again, I had to get out after 2km.   :blush:

7 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

You're making me feel soft Ex.  Had to get out of the pool on Sunday after 2km as I got too cold (it was 24.5 degrees).  I was so soft yesterday that I drove miles away to get to an indoor pool that was 27 degrees.  Today I went back to the usual pool - it was just over 25 degrees and again, I had to get out after 2km.   :blush:

You're not the only one BF. Two months ago, this place was littered with swimmers, and heaps of paddlers. I haven't seen another swimmer for my last 4 swims, and there has only been a single SUPer there each morning.

A couple of the OWS group up here are heading down to Tassie for a Nude Soltice swim at Sandy Bay. They say current water temperature is 12 degrees, and they advise against putting your head under the water unless you are an experienced cold water swimmer.

I think I may pass on that one.

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

You're not the only one BF. Two months ago, this place was littered with swimmers, and heaps of paddlers. I haven't seen another swimmer for my last 4 swims, and there has only been a single SUPer there each morning.

A couple of the OWS group up here are heading down to Tassie for a Nude Soltice swim at Sandy Bay. They say current water temperature is 12 degrees, and they advise against putting your head under the water unless you are an experienced cold water swimmer.

I think I may pass on that one.

I hate cold water, but im going to do the swim one year.

6 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

They say current water temperature is 12 degrees, and they advise against putting your head under the water unless you are an experienced cold water swimmer

The river here is 12.5 (well, it was last week. Probably colder now). 

I try and keep swimming all winter.  I do go the neoprene hoody for anything over 20min or so. 

• Like 2

That's tough Turts. 

Bloody hell 

I squeal when the 19 degree water touches my toes here at the beach. It's probably what set off this man flu... LOL 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Turts said:

The river here is 12.5 (well, it was last week. Probably colder now). 

I try and keep swimming all winter.  I do go the neoprene hoody for anything over 20min or so. 

How?

Is it really just a matter of getting used to it?

The dam is probably 17-18 at the moment, and whilst I can get in OK, it takes me a few minutes to really get going. My first few hundred metres feel real slow & uncoordinated. Once I'm going though I feel OK, though I can now feel that my arms are getting cold. Once I get out though, the blood goes back into the extremities and starts bringing the cold back to my core. I really start to freeze about 10 minutes after I get out.

18 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Is that per lane, or in the pool.

Per 50m lane

4 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Per 50m lane

I'm not used to that. I had the pool to myself for 45 minutes this morning at Samford.

And did my repeats in the rain. Kona here we come. :) 

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

How?

Is it really just a matter of getting used to it?

The dam is probably 17-18 at the moment, and whilst I can get in OK, it takes me a few minutes to really get going. My first few hundred metres feel real slow & uncoordinated. Once I'm going though I feel OK, though I can now feel that my arms are getting cold. Once I get out though, the blood goes back into the extremities and starts bringing the cold back to my core. I really start to freeze about 10 minutes after I get out.

Not sure there is a shining light at the end of the tunnel .

It does take some getting used to.  I used to do very poorly in cold water, but last year committed to swim every week through the winter.  Each time was easier to get in - the biggest issue for me is the cold face and eyeballs.  It hurts to start with.  Initially it took me a good 5 min or so to even get my face in the water.  Not I'm almost straight in.

At it's coldest it's around 10 deg here.   I'm definitely cold when I get out - won't do more than 45min or so when it's that cold.  Feet and hands are numb.  But I find Im better off if I leave my wetty on, and warm up slowly.  So not too much movement, and drive home.

If I get the wetty off and start layering up and moving around too much, the cold blood gets to my core and I am colder for longer.  Then again, Im sure I carry waaaay more body fat than you! 

Thanks Turts. I may have to start using the wetsuit soon. It'll probably make a huge difference because the skin won't get so cold. It's the effect that has when I stop & the blood starts moving around again that really gets me. My only problem there is I'm not real keen on leaving a wet wetsuit hanging in my car every day when I go to work.

4 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Thanks Turts. I may have to start using the wetsuit soon. It'll probably make a huge difference because the skin won't get so cold. It's the effect that has when I stop & the blood starts moving around again that really gets me. My only problem there is I'm not real keen on leaving a wet wetsuit hanging in my car every day when I go to work.

I have a wetsuit material cap you can borrow for the winter

Congratulations Batman. First finished your goal. 

Don't let up now though. The idea of this was to kick into Winter and hopefully follow it through till Spring.

I'm hoping to get to the 100 tomorrow, but I'm not quite feeling 100% (or is that 110% or 150%), so will have to see how I am in the morning.

4 hours ago, Mike Del said:

I have a wetsuit material cap you can borrow for the winter

I might take you up on it later in the winter, but the only time I did try it, I found it really uncomfortable. Then again, a piercing pain in the middle of the forehead is fairly uncomfortable as well.

• Haha 1

I'm back in the pool Tuesday. How long until cut off? 

Too many calf cramps this morning, and finally pulled the pin at 65 x 100. I was a bit disappointed, but with a bung left knee, every push was mainly with the right leg, and the calf eventually started cramping. I kept the pace at around 1:33-5 till about 50 then when I started cramping dropped to 1:37-8.

I think it's probably because I've hardly done any pool swimming, so not used to pushing off so much. I'll have to do some more work on the calves before next attempt. :(

• Like 5

Still bloody respectable Ex 👌

Hardcore. Awesome stuff 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Too many calf cramps this morning, and finally pulled the pin at 65 x 100. I was a bit disappointed, but with a bung left knee, every push was mainly with the right leg, and the calf eventually started cramping. I kept the pace at around 1:33-5 till about 50 then when I started cramping dropped to 1:37-8.

I think it's probably because I've hardly done any pool swimming, so not used to pushing off so much. I'll have to do some more work on the calves before next attempt. :(

the trick is not to push off.  when I start to cramp I just do a u-turn at the end as if I was going around a buoy.

51 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

the trick is not to push off.  when I start to cramp I just do a u-turn at the end as if I was going around a buoy.

I started doing pretty much that, which is why the sudden drop in times, but once it was starting to go, the kicking (I know that's a disputable thing round here) to get me moving at each turn was causing cramping as much as pushing off, so I just started pushing off lightly.

I used to have this problem a couple years ago, but worked on the calves and got over it. Obviously I need to start working on them again.

2 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I used to have this problem a couple years ago, but worked on the calves and got over it. Obviously I need to start working on them again.

Need to start posing on Instagram on your tippy toes again

• Like 2

Anna, who we swim with is just heading off this morning to swim the Molokai Channel. From what I've heard previously, it makes anything we ever did (back when it was hard) in the swim look like a swim in the bathtub. This is a description of what she's about to do just now from her handler.

Leave the beach swimming through the Hawaiian shore break. Swim through the afternoon and then through the night in 25kn winds (luckily on the aft). We will definitely have sharks following but the swim guide assures Anna the shark shields have been working. Then after 45km and potentially +16hours of swimming, she will need to body surf through the enormous Northshore Hawaiian shore-break.

Sounds fun.

edit to add: She's through the shore break & on her way.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1

I can't wait till Tuesday. 

Bloody upper body misses it. So good for me, especially in my line of work. 

1.1km yesterday and again today.

2.2km tomorrow (followed by a 90km bike a s 21.1km run) ;)

• Like 1

3.1km OWS this morning. One of the guys brought down a swim thermometer and it tested at 17 degrees.

You can tell all the triathletes have packed up for the Winter. There was our group of 5, then I saw another swimmer heading out as we were heading in, and not a wetsuit in site. :)

• Thanks 1

3.1km OWS this morning. One of the guys brought down a swim thermometer and it tested at 17 degrees.

You can tell all the triathletes have packed up for the Winter. There was our group of 5, then I saw another swimmer heading out as we were heading in, and not a wetsuit in site. :)

I read 19-20deg