Andrew #1

Winterfish 2018

1 hour ago, Nick777 said:

Nice work...

I had a bit of a funny occurrence last night, I was right in the middle of 12x200 on 3.20, and basically sitting on the rivet the whole time..when a girl from the quiet 'medium' lane decides to jump into the fast lane (I was alone) & swim not very fast.

I was half way through the 6th 200, and rapidly catching her, so I pulled out to the right, and went to tumble turn, when she stood up & stepped across to the right, and stood right in front of me. I had to stand up, because my breathing pattern was wrecked, and I said (in my best 'exasperated' voice).."please....stay out of the way.." At which point, she asked me if I owned the pool, and told me to F%^& off. 

Many years ago an ex Olympic 800mt gold medallist world champ...... we'll call her Tracy W,  announced at a press conference she would make a comeback to target marathon open water events. She turned up at our Northern Districts squad training for her 1st session and jumped straight in to the fast lane. She stood up at the pool end in the middle of the first set to catch her breath and Pete Stafford (very good triathlete back in the day) kicked her in the head in the process of his tumble turn. She lost her shit and got out of the pool and we never saw her again. Comeback over in one session.

Edited by Mike Del
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

That's why I don't tumble.... 

Starts fights.... LOL 

Yeah right. That's why.

• Haha 1

Another 2200m 

Friggin easy week showed..... Felt soooo strong and fast. Great stuff 

• Thanks 1

On 19/07/2018 at 8:58 PM, FFF1077 said:

Someone please add 2km today for me? 

Did some 100's and a cool down. 

Can feel my chest thing a tiny bit but no worse than yesterday 

Cheers 

I haven't updated mine in ages!

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Cranky said:

I haven't updated mine in ages!

Then get in there & update it girl.

• Like 2

Today was enlightening.

The dam was probably the coldest yet, but air temp was up a little at 7 degrees. I had been worried that my shoulder was getting bad, and was affecting the nerves to my hands, causing weakness and loss of coordination after a couple of km. I've been getting it for the past week. I mentioned it to one of the guys that did the channel last year. He said it sounded like "The Claw". We did 4+km this morning, and he said he was actually starting to get it toward the end. I was also starting to get it in my other hand as well for the first time.

Well, I read up a bit when I got home, and yes, "The Claw" is a phenomena where you loose fine motor control of the hand and the fingers spread apart. Exactly what I've been getting. Very common, and a good sign of adaption to cold, and can be used as a warning sign that you should get out when it gets bad. What I've been getting is the very first stage, and certainly no issue.

The swim itself was great. Fairly easy for the first 2km, then on the way back one of the guys always turns it into a race to the 3/4 buoy, so had a nice building effort for about 800m, getting my HR up into the mid to high 140's. Then a steady to hard final 800m to the finish. An enjoyable way to start the day.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Then get in there & update it girl.

I'm never at a PC and I can't do it on my mobile!

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Today was enlightening.

The dam was probably the coldest yet, but air temp was up a little at 7 degrees. I had been worried that my shoulder was getting bad, and was affecting the nerves to my hands, causing weakness and loss of coordination after a couple of km. I've been getting it for the past week. I mentioned it to one of the guys that did the channel last year. He said it sounded like "The Claw". We did 4+km this morning, and he said he was actually starting to get it toward the end. I was also starting to get it in my other hand as well for the first time.

Well, I read up a bit when I got home, and yes, "The Claw" is a phenomena where you loose fine motor control of the hand and the fingers spread apart. Exactly what I've been getting. Very common, and a good sign of adaption to cold, and can be used as a warning sign that you should get out when it gets bad. What I've been getting is the very first stage, and certainly no issue.

The swim itself was great. Fairly easy for the first 2km, then on the way back one of the guys always turns it into a race to the 3/4 buoy, so had a nice building effort for about 800m, getting my HR up into the mid to high 140's. Then a steady to hard final 800m to the finish. An enjoyable way to start the day.

Michael?

42 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Michael?

Yes to both.

And I hope you swam as well as did your run down there this morning. :)

Can someone please add 3.5 to my tally, seems my pc screen has blown and I can’t edit from my phone. Cheers.

Tony do you have an old pc  screen? Also you haven’t picked up that neoprene cap yet

3 minutes ago, Mike Del said:

Can someone please add 3.5 to my tally, seems my pc screen has blown and I can’t edit from my phone. Cheers.

Tony do you have an old pc  screen? Also you haven’t picked up that neoprene cap yet

Call me. re both.

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Yes to both.

And I hope you swam as well as did your run down there this morning. :)

No but I video the girls as they swam yesterday. Does that count?

1 hour ago, FFF1077 said:

How do you carry a camera? 🤔😯

Is that a camera down there or are you happy to see me?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, FFF1077 said:

How do you carry a camera? 🤔😯

It was one of the other guys carrying it, but I think he puts it under the top of his togs. It has a small float attached in case it comes loose.

I thought he just used a prison wallet.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Lovely photo Ex. Nearly makes me wanna be there - with a wettie

A lot of phones are waterproof now - I could probably swim with mine attached to my arm...

29 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

Lovely photo Ex. Nearly makes me wanna be there - with a wettie

I picked the one that didn't have my mug in it. :)

3.2km this morning. Nice & steady with a few surges. 500m splits varied from 8:10 to 9:10. Had some fun out there. 

2.8km (700, 600, 500, 400, 300, 200, 100) 

Heading to Coolangatta on Wednesday for a few days... hopefully get some beach swimming in. Please tell me its warmer up there?

1 hour ago, xblane said:

2.8km (700, 600, 500, 400, 300, 200, 100) 

Heading to Coolangatta on Wednesday for a few days... hopefully get some beach swimming in. Please tell me its warmer up there?

Water temp about 21deg I think

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

Water temp about 21deg I think

Real Feel of -16 deg when you first get your toes wet though.

Even my brother is swimming in the ocean here. And he's a cold water sook. :)

The weather forecast for Wednesday in Brisbane is 26 degrees for the day, so it'll be a nice one to go out. Similar for the next few days.

5 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Even my brother is swimming in the ocean here. And he's a cold water sook. :)

The weather forecast for Wednesday in Brisbane is 26 degrees for the day, so it'll be a nice one to go out. Similar for the next few days.

Despite the daytime temps rising there'll be a fair bit of lag time before the dam starts to warm up.