Andrew #1

Winterfish 2018

On 15/07/2018 at 3:34 PM, zed said:

That sounds way off. I don't use a HRM for swimming, but I'd guess I'd be 140s if I was doing 1km, 160s for say 200m at 75%, 170s for hard 100s. Even if I ran at my slowest I don't think I could get it down to 115, I'd have to run/walk. But then everyone is different with HR? Are you wearing a wetsuit?

This is more what I expected. A hard 1600 this afternoon. No chance for a warm-up, just straight into it. 1:38 pace down, 1:36 pace back. I wish I could get back to my 1:30 pace though.

image.thumb.png.f8caa0d216dfe44a856254316ec9954e.png

I must have been taking it easier than I thought the other morning. Although I couldn't have gone much further this afternoon at this pace. I actually felt a bit ill driving home after it.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 3

My swimming's gone to the dogs.  Could not get any speed this afternoon and I just didn't want to

But on a more positive note, met Bronte Campbell in the changerooms...

• Like 2

3.2km this morning. That's day 17 done (actually 18 if you count June 30th) and still feeling hungry and enjoying it. Add to that, day 17 of Dry July. 

As I got back in this morning, there was a group of about 8 retired guys taking their kayaks down to the beach. I had a bit of a chat, and they were saying they meet every Tuesday for a couple hours of paddling and chatting. Sounds like a brilliant thing to do to keep active into their later years.

3.5km this morning. I said to myself when I left home that if the car thermometer said 0 degrees I'd keep on going and head straight to work, then do a short swim after work. It only got to 1, so I went to the dam.

This was easily the coldest I've been in. For about the last 300m I couldn't cup my right hand properly on the pull, and was losing the feel for the water with it. Not sure how I work on that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

3.5km this morning. I said to myself when I left home that if the car thermometer said 0 degrees I'd keep on going and head straight to work, then do a short swim after work. It only got to 1, so I went to the dam.

This was easily the coldest I've been in. For about the last 300m I couldn't cup my right hand properly on the pull, and was losing the feel for the water with it. Not sure how I work on that.

I check this thread every day to see how brave you've been. Definitely cooler this morning.

49 minutes ago, AA7 said:

I check this thread every day to see how brave you've been. Definitely cooler this morning.

Come down Sunday. There's a few of us going.

You can bring a wet-suit if you want, I won't pick on you. Some of the others may, but I wont. ;) 

Bring Cranky along as well.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

14 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

You can bring a wet-suit if you want, I won't pick on you. So of the others may, but I wont. ;) 

Yeh nah. I'm even too chicken to go out to Springfield for the duathlon. 2 deg out there on Sunday.

• Haha 2

Was feeling great tonight...then cramped in my foot. Totally out of the blue, and only 1.9k into the session. Weird.

4 hours ago, Nick777 said:

Was feeling great tonight...then cramped in my foot. Totally out of the blue, and only 1.9k into the session. Weird.

I occasionally cramp in my calf just after pushing off the wall but only if swimming after a reasonable run. I’ve never cramped in my foot though, I assume it would be in your arch or instep.

21 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

You can bring a wet-suit if you want, I won't pick on you. Some of the others may, but I wont. ;) 

I'm considering it.... but the fact that my toes are numb ON THE WINDTRAINER worries me. 

49 minutes ago, Cranky said:

I'm considering it.... but the fact that my toes are numb ON THE WINDTRAINER worries me. 

Apparent temperatures below zero here today, and I saw about 20 cyclists in the valley on my way to the dam this morning.

You're just soft! 😝

I logged on specially to see your swim report Ex. my fingers are still frozen and the water temperature at our pool was 29 degrees.....  Did you go?

12 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

I logged on specially to see your swim report Ex. my fingers are still frozen and the water temperature at our pool was 29 degrees.....  Did you go?

Yep. At the 200m point I was contemplating turning around for a 400m swim, but figured that would be a waste of a drive, as I'm working from home today & headed out just for the swim rather than going to the dam on the way to the city. Luckily though I had to be home by 7am, so I did have a good reason to only do 40 minutes rather than an hour.

I started early too. It was still very dark, with just a silhouette of Mt Coottha to aim at. By the time I got to the end buoy there was just enough light to see it, then when I turned back to the East at the halfway point, in the middle of the dam, I was greeted by the most magnificent view of the bright orange sky behind the black silhouette of the dam wall, and all this reflecting off the perfectly smooth surface of the dam. Still quite a few stars out overhead & to the west as well. It really does make the effort of getting out there in the cold worthwhile.

No hot water this morning to pour on me after the swim, and no cup of tea, but I did take the beanie & gloves, so that made up for it. I've now had a hot shower, and a hot chocolate, and I'm feeling ready to take on the day. :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Yep. At the 200m point I was contemplating turning around for a 400m swim, but figured that would be a waste of a drive, as I'm working from home today & headed out just for the swim rather than going to the dam on the way to the city. Luckily though I had to be home by 7am, so I did have a good reason to only do 40 minutes rather than an hour.

I started early too. It was still very dark, with just a silhouette of Mt Coottha to aim at. By the time I got to the end buoy there was just enough light to see it, then when I turned back to the East at the halfway point, in the middle of the dam, I was greeted by the most magnificent view of the bright orange sky behind the black silhouette of the dam wall, and all this reflecting off the perfectly smooth surface of the dam. Still quite a few stars out overhead & to the west as well. It really does make the effort of getting out there in the cold worthwhile.

No hot water this morning to pour on me after the swim, and no cup of tea, but I did take the beanie & gloves, so that made up for it. I've now had a hot shower, and a hot chocolate, and I'm feeling ready to take on the day. :)

Sound so lovely, except for the cold bit.

• Like 1

Someone please add 2km today for me? 

Did some 100's and a cool down. 

Can feel my chest thing a tiny bit but no worse than yesterday 

Cheers 

2200m today where I think I have relearnt how to swim. My swim has gone to sh!t the last few months but today brought back in Andrew's split fartlek 100s. Did 3 sets and was pretty disappointed with the first 2 but managed to nail the last one. I ignored my "form" and concentrated on really using my back and was 4 secs faster for the fast 100.  Seems my lack of speed in the pool has been more mental. Will do this set again next week to try and remember how to swim fast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if it's that the water has cooled with the last couple of very cold mornings here, or if it's just that it was warmer out, so the water felt cooler, but it "seemed" significantly colder today. 2.1km, starting well before sunrise again, then out & into the bloodbank. 

Hemoglobin count was 12% higher than normal this morning. I wonder if part of the body's defence against the cold is to produce more red blood cells?

• Like 1

Only 10 days to go!

Lovely morning. Not too cold, and not a breath of wind at the sheltered beach we leave from. It was a bit different once out in the main part of the dam. Very choppy with the westerly blowing, and your arms felt colder during the recovery out of the water. But other than that, great conditions. 

4 x SUP riders out there at sunrise. 3 were wearing tracksuits heavy jackets and beanies, and the other was in shorts & a light shirt. He must be the Kiwi.

My right shoulder was a little tender this morning. I think the extra volume is starting to affect the impingement I used to get. I started feeling weak in my right hand toward the end, and it felt like my pinky was floating about freely on the pull through. We've got a group swim tomorrow, and after that I may pull the volume down to an easy 2km each day from here till the end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice work...

I had a bit of a funny occurrence last night, I was right in the middle of 12x200 on 3.20, and basically sitting on the rivet the whole time..when a girl from the quiet 'medium' lane decides to jump into the fast lane (I was alone) & swim not very fast.

I was half way through the 6th 200, and rapidly catching her, so I pulled out to the right, and went to tumble turn, when she stood up & stepped across to the right, and stood right in front of me. I had to stand up, because my breathing pattern was wrecked, and I said (in my best 'exasperated' voice).."please....stay out of the way.." At which point, she asked me if I owned the pool, and told me to F%^& off. 

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

Nice work...

I had a bit of a funny occurrence last night, I was right in the middle of 12x200 on 3.20, and basically sitting on the rivet the whole time..when a girl from the quiet 'medium' lane decides to jump into the fast lane (I was alone) & swim not very fast.

I was half way through the 6th 200, and rapidly catching her, so I pulled out to the right, and went to tumble turn, when she stood up & stepped across to the right, and stood right in front of me. I had to stand up, because my breathing pattern was wrecked, and I said (in my best 'exasperated' voice).."please....stay out of the way.." At which point, she asked me if I owned the pool, and told me to F%^& off. 

You need this printed up at the end of the lane.

Image result for fast swimming lane pool

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 4