Andrew #1

Winterfish 2018

6 hours ago, Mike Del said:

Could someone please add 2.2 to my Fri tally. I have a problem with my pc and for some reason I’ve never been able to access the winterfish scorecard with my iPhone.

Done

This morning was a rude shock. 2 degrees at home before I left (still the same when I got home), and probably 4 degrees at the dam. The water felt colder too. I only did just over 2km, but it knocked my confidence about getting through July. Two more days of this weather forecast before it gets back up close to double figures in the morning.

Edit to add. I just saw the Samford Valley weather station was 0.2 this morning. No wonder the back yard was white when I got home.

DSC_2165.JPG

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

This morning was a rude shock. 2 degrees at home before I left (still the same when I got home), and probably 4 degrees at the dam. The water felt colder too. I only did just over 2km, but it knocked my confidence about getting through July. Two more days of this weather forecast before it gets back up close to double figures in the morning.

Edit to add. I just saw the Samford Valley weather station was 0.2 this morning. No wonder the back yard was white when I got home.

DSC_2165.JPG

So what do you think the water temp is at the moment?

16 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

So what do you think the water temp is at the moment?

16 to 17. Another couple of days of this & it might drop another 1. The days are warming up to 21, and it's full sun, so that will keep it from getting too cold. Wednesday is forecast for 25 at the moment. That should be nice. :)

It was beautiful out there today though. Because the water was so much warmer than the air, there was a thick mist about a metre deep gently moving across the lake in the light westerly. The buoys are bright yellow and a metre high, but you couldn't see them till you were about 10m from them.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

I've just started using a HRM with my 735XT (thanks Willie) and have done 2 x swims. One was 4km, the other about 2km. They haven't been fast ones, but the 4km swim I did do a period of a bit over 1km where I was probably at 1:36/100 pace. What I've found is when going at a steady pace (probably the pace I would do 10km or 2hr) my HR is about 115bpm, rising to 125 at the start of the hard km, and finishing at 137. It then dropped down under 125 within a minute on settling back to steady pace.

Does this sound about right for those that also swim with a HRM? I would have thought it would be a little higher. Last time I could run hard, if I used the same RPE as the km I did harder in this swim, my HR went straight to 150, then started rising from there.

On 14/07/2018 at 9:15 AM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

This is for those that complain about crowded lanes at the pool.

haha that's awesome

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I've just started using a HRM with my 735XT (thanks Willie) and have done 2 x swims. One was 4km, the other about 2km. They haven't been fast ones, but the 4km swim I did do a period of a bit over 1km where I was probably at 1:36/100 pace. What I've found is when going at a steady pace (probably the pace I would do 10km or 2hr) my HR is about 115bpm, rising to 125 at the start of the hard km, and finishing at 137. It then dropped down under 125 within a minute on settling back to steady pace.

Does this sound about right for those that also swim with a HRM? I would have thought it would be a little higher. Last time I could run hard, if I used the same RPE as the km I did harder in this swim, my HR went straight to 150, then started rising from there.

That sounds way off. I don't use a HRM for swimming, but I'd guess I'd be 140s if I was doing 1km, 160s for say 200m at 75%, 170s for hard 100s. Even if I ran at my slowest I don't think I could get it down to 115, I'd have to run/walk. But then everyone is different with HR? Are you wearing a wetsuit?

6 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

16 to 17. Another couple of days of this & it might drop another 1. The days are warming up to 21, and it's full sun, so that will keep it from getting too cold. Wednesday is forecast for 25 at the moment. That should be nice. :)

It was beautiful out there today though. Because the water was so much warmer than the air, there was a thick mist about a metre deep gently moving across the lake in the light westerly. The buoys are bright yellow and a metre high, but you couldn't see them till you were about 10m from them.

Is all this cold water swimming as prep for something?

26 minutes ago, A2K said:

Is all this cold water swimming as prep for something?

Maybe. :whistling:

• Haha 1

12km week. 

Feel great in the water at the moment. Awesome. 

Won't make the 100 but I'll have fun trying 

9 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I swam at the Bondi pool last Sep, and it was 17. I didn't feel the pool before I dived in, and couldn't believe how cold 17 degrees was. My head pounded after 100, and I said to my wife that if she gave me ice-cream, it would alleviate my ice cream headache.>>! But after 200, my a weird thing happened - my body kind of went numb, and I swam another 800 in total comfort. I was able to sit around in the pool for a while after the swim, totally comfortably. Mind you - it was a beautiful, warm sunny day. Not sure how I'd go if it was bloody freezing outside.

Had a solid week - 15.4k, which is getting up there (for me).

I had to back the 'intensity' off a little over the last 3 swims, because I'm starting to feel a bit of fatigue set in.. still, I topped the week off with 4.5k, which is my longest swim in a couple of years. 

1 hour ago, Nick777 said:

My head pounded after 100, and I said to my wife that if she gave me ice-cream, it would alleviate my ice cream headache.>>! But after 200, my a weird thing happened - my body kind of went numb, and I swam another 800 in total comfort.

Exactly how I describe it to people. I get brain freeze in the first 50m & it's gone by 200m. I did 5.3km in it last weekend, and 4km in it yesterday, and like you say, you know it's cold, but you can keep swimming because you're numb to it.

I feel fine afterwards, as long as I either keep moving, or have heat applied from external, eg hot sun, car aircon & heated seat etc. Unfortunately your body has lost a lot of heat, so as soon as the external source is removed, you start feeling cold again. I've had the shivers start up 30 minutes later when I get out of the car and come inside the house, even though it's heated to 23.

Good work with the long swim Nick.

I measure my weeks from Sunday to Saturday. I went 27.6km this week, which is my biggest week this year, and what makes me even happier is that this week, and the few weeks either side of it last year, I did nothing. Wrapped to have a goal and still be swimming through the Winter. :)

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Was supposed to go this afternoon but was feeling tired and flat. I have signs of mental over training / fatigue and pushing myself when I don't feel like it isn't helping. Backing it off for a while...

Edited by BogFrog

Only did 1km this morning. Hopefully I’ll do some open water once the tide comes back in 

but hard to beat this pool

DB3005F9-D804-4268-B8AF-AA7F6326D713.jpeg

• Like 3

Jealous Limited. That's Hamilton Island isn't it? If so, I've done a lot of lengths in that pool, waiting for the family to come down, then straight into the buffet breakfast behind those screens to the right.

I didn't get wet this morning, as it was Clover's 2nd birthday today, and we had a small party for her. Planning on a couple km on the way home this afternoon.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Yep. Hamilton island. kept smelling bacon as I was swimming. Don’t think we want to leave

7 minutes ago, Limited said:

Yep. Hamilton island. kept smelling bacon as I was swimming. Don’t think we want to leave

First time we went with a family, we had one kid in a pram. That made it real easy to pack morning tea from the pastry buffet before we left. :)

If they still have the same chef as last time I was there, ask for omelets. He makes them up in front of you, and they're to die for.

My biggest week for a long time too, 25k. Mainly just distance and form with little speed. Think I’ve only ever bettered that distance  about 30 years ago. Helps a bit by dropping the running now the GC Marathon is over. 

This weeks swimming will be up there as well then I’ll be tappering off leading into the Magnetic Island swim.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Maybe. :whistling:

Next year or the year after?

I can't believe we're not halfway through this encore yet! 

2.4km today. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, A2K said:

Next year or the year after?

Have to get my youngest through Grade 12 next year, then we're spending all our money on an OS holiday at the end of that year, so if possible, 2 years, but more likely 3.

• Like 1