Andrew #1

Winterfish 2018

2.1km swim... getting to the pool was the real struggle... just didn't want to go. Thanks Winterfish Encore!

I'm having a slow start to winterfish part 2. 

Going to Queensland next week for holidays, hoping the water is warm up there so can get some open water swims in

Just now, Limited said:

I'm having a slow start to winterfish part 2. 

Going to Queensland next week for holidays, hoping the water is warm up there so can get some open water swims in

Apparently the ocean is about 22 degrees.

3 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Apparently the ocean is about 22 degrees.

That sounds ok. It is only 17 here.

5 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

That's the plan.

Still haven't told the boss yet though. :) I think I should put it something like "Would you like to go to Europe for a few weeks? And there'll be a lovely boat trip where you can sit on deck & drink champers for hours."

We’ll be London again next year, all of July & Aug. I would be your support crew/photographer but I don’t fancy 12 hours of listening  to your boss complaining there’s better things she could be doing. 

Best leave her shopping in Chelsea with Jo. 😁 

We could’ve swum a family relay crossing but I don’t do cold.

🇬🇧.......🏊...... 🇫🇷 

Edited by Mike Del

Next year is no good. I want to wait till Heath is out of school. That comes before fun.

5 minutes ago, Mike Del said:

We could’ve swum a family relay crossing but I don’t do cold.

Neither did I before this year. Just get in and get used to it.

And FP would say it's not cold anyway. :)

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

2 hours ago, Mike Del said:

😁

🇬🇧.......🏊...... 🇫🇷 

you have him swimming backwards - or is that the equivalent of doing mount coothha's in the rain at 3.00am backwards?

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

3.1km OWS this morning. An extra 20 minutes in the water today, and I really noticed that my stroke was deteriorating towards the end due to the cold. I think I slowed 3 seconds per 100m for the last km. I really don't know how people swim long distances in cold water.

They put on plenty of weight..........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick777 said:

They put on plenty of weight..........

No need here. :(

• Haha 1

4km this morning. I did a bit of reading last night on cold water swimming. Yep, weight is the secret. Since I don't want to put any on, the next best thing is effort. I swam a good steady rate for the 4km loop this morning, without the surging & easing I normally do, and it did seem to make a difference. At this point I think 4km is fine at 17 degrees.

One of the studies I read last night was done for FINA and studied elite swimmers in 16 degree water. Some of them had to be pulled out with the onset of Hypothermia after only an hour. FINA now has a mandatory wetsuit rule at 18 degrees for 10km races. To conduct the swim, they had swimmers swim for up to 2 hours with a rectal thermometer in place. Stuff that.

11 minutes ago, pieman said:

Can you do a threshold effort at channel distance though? 

That wasn't threshold today, just a more constant effort with no easy spells between surges. That's when you really cool down. 

I'll put weight on for that one though, but I'm not going to carry it for 2 or 3 years in the lead-up. :)

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

To conduct the swim, they had swimmers swim for up to 2 hours with a rectal thermometer in place. Stuff that.

Hopefully the swimmers were compensated for that study 😮

Ex, ........ what was the water temp that day a certain Aussie pro got pulled out of the water in the NZ Series race. 

12 minutes ago, Mike Del said:

Ex, ........ what was the water temp that day a certain Aussie pro got pulled out of the water in the NZ Series race. 

He didn't get pulled from the water, but he exited sea-sick and hypothermic. Tried to start the ride in a wetsuit and then pulled out. 

It was probably 19 or 20. And we had wetsuits and it was only 1500m. Admittedly it was blowing a gale, and if the swim had been these days they probably would have cancelled it. It meant more prizemoney for me though. ;)

10 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

4km this morning. I did a bit of reading last night on cold water swimming. Yep, weight is the secret. Since I don't want to put any on, the next best thing is effort. I swam a good steady rate for the 4km loop this morning, without the surging & easing I normally do, and it did seem to make a difference. At this point I think 4km is fine at 17 degrees.

One of the studies I read last night was done for FINA and studied elite swimmers in 16 degree water. Some of them had to be pulled out with the onset of Hypothermia after only an hour. FINA now has a mandatory wetsuit rule at 18 degrees for 10km races. To conduct the swim, they had swimmers swim for up to 2 hours with a rectal thermometer in place. Stuff that.

Do you wear a neoprene hat? That's the only 'aid' some of the icebergers down here are allowed to wear.

28 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

Do you wear a neoprene hat? That's the only 'aid' some of the icebergers down here are allowed to wear.

Nah. I tried one last year and it felt uncomfortable under the chin. I do wear 2 normal caps, though one is really thin. I found that helps a lot. 

I've decided I'm going to see how long I can keep going. At the moment, now I'm used to it, there's no real problem. Two weeks ago I was freezing in warmer water, and this morning I swam over an hour, got out and stood around talking, getting dried & dressed out in the open no problem at all. It was a mild morning though. I think when the westerlies hit and air temp drops 10 degrees in the morning it will be a different story though. This will be a study of n = 1 to see whether a swimmer can acclimatize in 1 season, and if not, how far I can go.

The fact I've put myself down for a Dry July may also mean that I'm going to have a bit less insulation by the time this is finished isn't going to help either. :)

3.4km 

6 x 

2 x 200 P/B; 100 Bouy only

400m Straight Swim easy Paddles/Bouy

focus for the 200's was solid aerobic effort, effort and focus for the 100's was medium effort and stroke rate

• Like 1

3.3km this afternoon in a 27 degree pool in 18.degrees and sun. Can. Not. Complain.

Did a different main set today. Three times 4x200, 1st 200 last 50 fast, 2nd 200 last 100 fast, 3rd 200 last 150 fast, 200 fast, all on 20 secs rest. Good set as I smashed myself on the fast bits...

• Like 3

Forgot to set the alarm this morning after turning it off yesterday. Slept in a bit so only had time for 2.1km. Went a little harder today, and noticed I didn't feel as cold after the swim. 

I'm enjoying the cold dips at the moment.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Forgot to set the alarm this morning after turning it off yesterday. Slept in a bit so only had time for 2.1km. Went a little harder today, and noticed I didn't feel as cold after the swim. 

12 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Nah. I tried one last year and it felt uncomfortable under the chin. I do wear 2 normal caps, though one is really thin. I found that helps a lot. 

I've decided I'm going to see how long I can keep going. At the moment, now I'm used to it, there's no real problem. Two weeks ago I was freezing in warmer water, and this morning I swam over an hour, got out and stood around talking, getting dried & dressed out in the open no problem at all. It was a mild morning though. I think when the westerlies hit and air temp drops 10 degrees in the morning it will be a different story though. This will be a study of n = 1 to see whether a swimmer can acclimatize in 1 season, and if not, how far I can go.

The fact I've put myself down for a Dry July may also mean that I'm going to have a bit less insulation by the time this is finished isn't going to help either. :)

I'm not a scientist but i think it is wayyy too soon for acclimatization to be a factor. So this leads to the conclusion that it is the lack of alcohol, which indicates your dry July should stretch a bit further...  😁

11 minutes ago, pieman said:

I'm not a scientist but i think it is wayyy too soon for acclimatization to be a factor.

Acclimatization is probably a poor word for it. I think HTFU is a better term. When most people say the water is too cold, it's because they don't like it when they get in. It still feels cold when I get in, but I know I'll feel better after a couple of minutes. Most people pull the pin at this point and put a wetsuit on. 

8 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Acclimatization is probably a poor word for it. I think HTFU is a better term. When most people say the water is too cold, it's because they don't like it when they get in. It still feels cold when I get in, but I know I'll feel better after a couple of minutes. Most people pull the pin at this point and put a wetsuit on. 

maybe easier to HTFU without the Scotch induced fog..? 

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

The past few mornings have been a lot warmer also.