Andrew #1

Winterfish 2018

Here you go Sam. I hope it brings back happy memories.

DSC_2123.thumb.JPG.81511630eac02f597a3bfd59f028e9a2.JPG

I was a bit unhappy actually having to share a lane for about 1km of my swim for the first time this year, but I had an enjoyable session.

• Thanks 1

I'm in.  Not that I need added motivation.  There's a little event in September hanging over  my head...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers Ex. 

99% of my swimming there I had a lane to myself. Awesome 

Swimming in the city sux balls 

First swim in 5 days and I felt like sh!t.  Felt like I was swimming upstream.  It's done.  Next swim will feel better

• Like 1

I I I   j j j just   d d d did   a    c c couple of    k k km   at   th th the   d d dam.

F F F Flaming hell it's   c c cold.

Up north was much better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I added myself to the extra spreadsheet. Aiming for 75km. 

No moving the goal posts Ex 👍😂

9 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

No moving the goal posts Ex 👍😂

No worries Sam. I think I'm going to struggle with the 75km this time. Not sure how many more times I can get in the dam before it's too cold, and I only head into the city 3 days a week. Other days it's nearly an hour round trip to get to an open pool.

I hate Winter.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

No worries Sam. I think I'm going to struggle with the 75km this time. Not sure how many more times I can get in the dam before it's too cold, and I only head into the city 3 days a week. Other days it's nearly an hour round trip to get to an open pool.

I hate Winter.

I'll be swimming only 3 or 4 days a week. 

No massive sets just regular swimming. 

I swam outside today!*

*In a 27 degree pool.... LOL 

My problem is I'll be trying to fit a set in during an early lunch at work, which means 10min each way, and probably only 40 - 50 min at the pool.

I'll make hay while the sun shines though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

My problem is I'll be trying to fit a set in during an early lunch at work, which means 10min each way, and probably only 40 - 50 min at the pool.

I'll make hay while the sun shines though.

Fair enough. 

Can only do what you can 👍

I've managed another 4k last night...but like my last 4k effort, the limiter for me was cramping in the feet/calves.

Anyone else experienced this as they've been on the increase?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

I've managed another 4k last night...but like my last 4k effort, the limiter for me was cramping in the feet/calves.

Anyone else experienced this as they've been on the increase?

Yes. I got it quite a lot a couple seasons ago when I decided I'd swim more seeing as I couldn't run or ride much. Bad cramps in the calf.

Do a lot of calf stretching, and some strength work (calf raises). Also make sure you are hydrated well, and drink (with electrolyte) during the swim. It made the world of difference for me.

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I hate Winter.

I just wanted to agree with and re-emphasize this point.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I hate Winter.

11 hours ago, xblane said:

I just wanted to agree with and re-emphasize this point.

I just did my first ever July Dam swim. I felt better than yesterday. Maybe I just knew it wouldn't kill me, so I HTFU'ed, and just did it. :)

Lonely out there this time of year though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I just did my first ever July Dam swim. I felt better than yesterday. Maybe I just knew it wouldn't kill me, so I HTFU'ed, and just did it. :)

Lonely out there this time of year though.

That's hardcore. 

I was sooking about the outdoor pool yesterday. Can't imagine open water. Seriously tough Ex 

Those down south are doing it tougher Sam, but it seems not many up here are. There were a few of my group swimming down at Redcliffe, but water temp is probably about 20-22 down there.

One is over in Hawaii now about to head across the Molokai Channel. He's hardcore. He got 5km from the end last week but had to pull out as he got a stung by box jellyfish. While not as bad as ours, they are a lot worse than bluebottles etc. He's having a 2nd attempt today.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Those down south are doing it tougher Sam, but it seems not many up here are. There were a few of my group swimming down at Redcliffe, but water temp is probably about 20-22 down there.

One is over in Hawaii now about to head across the Molokai Channel. He's hardcore. He got 5km from the end last week but had to pull out as he got a stung by box jellyfish. While not as bad as ours, they are a lot worse than bluebottles etc. He's having a 2nd attempt today.

Awesome work. 

That's a serious swim. I have read a little bit about it. 

3 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

That's hardcore. 

I was sooking about the outdoor pool yesterday. Can't imagine open water. Seriously tough Ex 

Probs the best time of the year to swimming in Sorrento sharknet. No stingers and pretty clear! But yeah, cold..

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, zed said:

Probs the best time of the year to swimming in Sorrento sharknet. No stingers and pretty clear! But yeah, cold..

Don't remind me of the stingers 😕😕😕

• Haha 1

3.1km OWS this morning. An extra 20 minutes in the water today, and I really noticed that my stroke was deteriorating towards the end due to the cold. I think I slowed 3 seconds per 100m for the last km. I really don't know how people swim long distances in cold water.

20 minutes ago, Limited said:

Better get use to it if you're going for the channel crossing :smile1:

That's the plan.

Still haven't told the boss yet though. :) I think I should put it something like "Would you like to go to Europe for a few weeks? And there'll be a lovely boat trip where you can sit on deck & drink champers for hours."

• Haha 2