Andrew #1

Winterfish 2018

56 minutes ago, Limited said:

Yeah well done all. Hoping to finish off tomorrow 

FFF you only signed on for 50 so you smashed that goal. :thumbs_up:

Yes, we'll give him that. I moved the goal posts after he signed up. 

It must be the manager coming out in me. :)

• Like 1

On 20/06/2018 at 7:04 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I've found the same thing. I'm doing big miles (for me anyway) and all open water, so very little real speed work. The first section of my swim goes a little over 800m to a buoy, then I turn out to the dam proper. I always take a look at the time when I get to the buoy. This morning was real cold, and I swim slowly at first to get my breathing right, then a bit of breaststroke to keep my head up till it the pain goes away, so probably 100m of real slow swimming. I got to the buoy nearly a minute faster than I was doing 3 months ago. That probably means 1:30 if I wasn't mucking around at the start. And it didn't feel hard.

Interesting, hey.. 

Case in point...tonight, after my warm up, I did 5x200 on 3.25, with a goal of being under 3.05 on each; the sequence went 3.01, 2.59, 2.59, 2.57 & 2.52 - that last 200 was my fastest in about 5 years, and fresher, I could have probably knocked off 3-4 seconds. I haven't done my 'staple' of 100's on 10-15 seconds rest for about 4-5 months, it's just been a matter of consistency.

Hang in there people, try to turn the 50 days in to 100, then 150 etc etc.

• Like 1

2.8 today in a last minute sprint but it's not going to be enough.... consistency is key and disappearing off to Singapore and on holidays for a week did for me, even for the baitfish! To next year!

• Like 1

On ‎20‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 4:05 PM, Nick777 said:

It's funny...I am focusing more on volume than quality at the moment - specifically trying to build up to a regular (at least once a week) 4.5-5k session. I am just trying to get some sort of a base back.. To do this, I am telling myself...'don't worry so much about the quality, just get the distance done'.. I've managed a couple of 4k sessions recently, which I hadn't done for quite a while. Also, 400's have replaced 100's for the time being. And it's weird...the speed* is seeming to come along anyhow.

It's a nice feeling to do some 400 reps & see that you are 10 seconds or so faster than it 'felt'... been a while.

But seriously...nothing beats consistency. Well done to all who are swimming at this time of year.

*relative term...!

I've found that the 400s have helped with my racing, I'm finishing strong and not feeling any fade. Which makes me think, are a lot of tri coaches doing it wrong with their swim sets. Very much swim orientated, with a lot of sets built around 100s, which is very relevant for swimming 50m or 100m in a race, but we swim 2 - 4km in a race...

1 hour ago, zed said:

I've found that the 400s have helped with my racing, I'm finishing strong and not feeling any fade. Which makes me think, are a lot of tri coaches doing it wrong with their swim sets. Very much swim orientated, with a lot of sets built around 100s, which is very relevant for swimming 50m or 100m in a race, but we swim 2 - 4km in a race...

Interesting.. 

An old friend of mine was a very (very) good swimmer turned triathlete - and he said that you can't really go wrong with 100's & 400's. 100's tend to get me good at 100's...but no matter how good I was getting at them, I always felt that I was lacking endurance.

I found 100's helped my endurance, but only if I was doing them hard, and with minimal rest. Doing 20 x 100 on 1:45, holding 1:25 doesn't help your 4km time. Doing 20 to 40 x 100m on 1:35 holding 1:27 - 1:30 will.

11 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I found 100's helped my endurance, but only if I was doing them hard, and with minimal rest. Doing 20 x 100 on 1:45, holding 1:25 doesn't help your 4km time. Doing 20 to 40 x 100m on 1:35 holding 1:27 - 1:30 will.

But that depends where your weakness is. If you can swim 1km under 15mins, but can't get faster than 1:25 for 10x100 on 1:45, then I'd suggest working on speed, ie doing 100s on 2:00 would be beneficial as well.

100s on 2:00 until I couldn't stay under 1:50.

3.1km

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I just put my foot in it. Midnight till dawn swim planned for the Summer Solstice now. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I think I just put my foot in it. Midnight till dawn swim planned for the Summer Solstice now. :)

Awesome 

18 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Are you trying to get us kicked off the dam?

SEQWater aren't

happy about the swimmers there now

Edited by Mike Del
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Mike Del said:

Are you trying to get us kicked off the dam?

SEQWater aren't

happy about the swimmers there now

Why? 

Too much wee in the drinking water...?

• Haha 1

10.0 in the river today.

Time for the neoprene swim beanie. Could have used something thicker than the basic Orca open water suit tho! 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Turts said:

10.0 in the river today.

Time for the neoprene swim beanie. Could have used something thicker than the basic Orca open water suit tho! 

Turts, you're tough. Im impressed. 

22 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Turts, you're tough. Im impressed. 

More stupid.

Was cold and some certain word were said! 

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, BogFrog said:

First opportunity for me to miss a session and I do. Bah! Need a winter fish mark II

BogFrog, Limited & I are both chasing an additional 50km in the next 50 days, so why don't you join us. Keep your own spreadsheet unless you know how to modify the current one, but keep yourself honest with regular updates on here.

We drove 7 hours to Rocky yesterday. I felt shocking when I got up this morning, but the recce I did last night showed a 50m pool 600m from the motel we were in, so I went down & did 2.2km this morning before anybody else got up. I feel great now.

DSC_2119.thumb.JPG.0e2fe5670b58dd0724278c5cf64a56a8.JPG

It's a great pool, and get this. Only $2 entry.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

BogFrog, Limited & I are both chasing an additional 50km in the next 50 days, so why don't you join us. Keep your own spreadsheet unless you know how to modify the current one, but keep yourself honest with regular updates on here.

We drove 7 hours to Rocky yesterday. I felt shocking when I got up this morning, but the recce I did last night showed a 50m pool 600m from the motel we were in, so I went down & did 2.2km this morning before anybody else got up. I feel great now.

DSC_2119.thumb.JPG.0e2fe5670b58dd0724278c5cf64a56a8.JPG

It's a great pool, and get this. Only $2 entry.

Ive heard it's never really busy there either..

Excellent..... I've just signed up for a trial pool & gym membership at Centenary Pool. $30 for 30 days.

I only selected 50k for this 2nd challenge as I'll take a month off swimming after the Magnetic Isl to Townsville swim in late July  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Limited said:

As I found the spreadsheet a great motivator I've updated to include part 2. Same as before enter your name and distance and then go out and swim.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1x0ltu7NoBh8ma2X2ZJ4zh0n1-hzmuweuujYI7e_Hak8/edit#gid=0

YEOW 😎🤘

Except that I can't go silly. Not full silly anyway 

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I'll try out Mackay pool in the morning, or maybe the 20m pool downstairs. 

Go to the Memorial pool for me ex please. 

I really really ****ing miss swimming there. That's where I "taught" myself to swim. Millions of great memories 😊✌️

1 hour ago, FFF1077 said:

Go to the Memorial pool for me ex please. 

I really really ****ing miss swimming there. That's where I "taught" myself to swim. Millions of great memories 😊✌️

I just google mapped it. 600m from where we are at the Lanai Riverside, so it looks like an easy walk again in the morning. :)

• Thanks 1