Andrew #1

Winterfish 2018

On 21/07/2018 at 1:51 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

You need this printed up at the end of the lane.

Image result for fast swimming lane pool

Love it.

3.6 of 200's with mixed arrangements of gear for various scientific reasons beyond my comprehension...

I'm hungry.

2 hours ago, Mike Del said:

Despite the daytime temps rising there'll be a fair bit of lag time before the dam starts to warm up.

That's fine. After I get back from Melbourne it'll feel like bath water.

Person Taking Bath on HTC Sense 7

2 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

That's fine. After I get back from Melbourne it'll feel like bath water.

Person Taking Bath on HTC Sense 7

Where are you going to swim in Melbourne?

16 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

Where are you going to swim in Melbourne?

Tuesday morning I'm heading down to swim with the Brighton Icebergers. Unless something strange happens, and I actually enjoy swimming in 9 degree water, I'll swim at the old City Baths for the rest of the week. They're only 500m from where I stay.

ps: anybody in Melbourne want to go for a dip in the bay on Tuesday morning? :)

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Haha 1

Day 24 down. Only six swims in the dam, then 1 at Brighton to go.

This morning was a bit of a revelation. If there was a day I was going to get sick of this, or decide not to bother, it was today. I had a shit night's sleep, waking over & over, and only getting about 4 hours sleep. I was working from home, so the trip to the dam wasn't part of the daily commute, I was just going to the dam. And I had to be home by 7am, so any swim would only be a short one, and I'd get minimal training benefit out of it. The only reason I was swimming was because I said I was going to do an OWS every day in July.

Instead of it feeling like a chore, I actually loved being out there. It was just as cold to get in as normal. Air temp was low again, and the water felt as cold or colder than ever. The brain freeze came & went like normal. About 250m into the swim, I started getting that feeling of my skin being REAL cold. But today, instead of just being REAL cold, it actually felt pleasurable. Not an erotic type pleasurable, but the type of pleasure you get when you're running hard up a hill in the forest, it's hurting, but you're running so well that it's pleasurable.

Hopefully I've found what's been missing since my running was taken off me. Next Tuesday will be a totally different experience, but I'm looking forward to it now.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Day 24 down. Only six swims in the dam, then 1 at Brighton to go.

This morning was a bit of a revelation. If there was a day I was going to get sick of this, or decide not to bother, it was today. I had a shit night's sleep, waking over & over, and only getting about 4 hours sleep. I was working from home, so the trip to the dam wasn't part of the daily commute, I was just going to the dam. And I had to be home by 7am, so any swim would only be a short one, and I'd get minimal training benefit out of it. The only reason I was swimming was because I said I was going to do an OWS every day in July.

Instead of it feeling like a chore, I actually loved being out there. It was just as cold to get in as normal. Air temp was low again, and the water felt as cold or colder than ever. The brain freeze came & went like normal. About 250m into the swim, I started getting that feeling of my skin being REAL cold. But today, instead of just being REAL cold, it actually felt pleasurable. Not an erotic type pleasurable, but the type of pleasure you get when you're running hard up a hill in the forest, it's hurting, but you're running so well that it's pleasurable.

Hopefully I've found what's been missing since my running was taken off me. Next Tuesday will be a totally different experience, but I'm looking forward to it now.

Your commitment to this goal is inspiring. Well done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Tuesday morning I'm heading down to swim with the Brighton Icebergers. Unless something strange happens, and I actually enjoy swimming in 9 degree water, I'll swim at the old City Baths for the rest of the week. They're only 500m from where I stay.

I'm a Reverse Iceberger (warm pool, followed by cold shower) this time of year, so I wont be joining you........I just look like a dumb can't. But I do swim with these guys on occasion over the warmer months (I tap in & out at 15 degrees),  so if you don't know anybody, I can put you in touch with a couple of 'bergers if you like!?!?

Edited by Moshy
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Moshy said:

I'm a Reverse Iceberger (warm pool, followed by cold shower) this time of year, so I wont be joining you........I just look like a dumb can't. But I do swim with these guys on occasion over the warmer months (I tap in & out at 15 degrees),  so if you don't know anybody, I can put you in touch with a couple of 'bergers if you like!?!?

Thanks for the offer Moshy, but I've been in contact with a couple, and got the goss' for Tuesday morning. It'll be interesting, as I haven't gone anywhere near those temperatures (you can't in SEQ). Should be fun though. They can laugh at the Qlder. :)

22 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

9-11 degrees in the bay at the moment......

Edited by Nick777
Amend word

5 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

It'll be interesting, as I haven't gone anywhere near those temperatures

There is a crazy big difference in feel for those last few degrees down to 10. 

Enjoy! Brain freeze will be an understatement. Not sure you'll feel your "flow"

6 minutes ago, Turts said:

There is a crazy big difference in feel for those last few degrees down to 10. 

Enjoy! Brain freeze will be an understatement. Not sure you'll feel your "flow"

Yeah, I expect so. It'll be interesting whichever way it goes. As for the brain freeze, I practiced tonight with the ice-cream. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A bit over 3km this morning. Steady for the first half, then 30 second surges most of the way back. Really stuffs you swimming like that.

The next 2 days will be short ones as I have to be home by 7am each day. By Sunday though, the moon will be out late enough to get in as long before sunrise as I want. It's gorgeous swimming out there in the moonlight.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

A bit over 3km this morning. Steady for the first half, then 30 second surges most of the way back. Really stuffs you swimming like that.

The next 2 days will be short ones as I have to be home by 7am each day. By Sunday though, the moon will be out late enough to get in as long before sunrise as I want. It's gorgeous swimming out there in the moonlight.

Magic 😎👌

Love ya work 

Starting to feel the effects of the increased volume - swimming ok, but feeling tired..

I've done more 3k sessions this year than any year in the past seven, and it's only July..! Really hoping to see the benefits come summer.

• Like 2

3.5km swim

200's P/B

50's Bouy

1km Straight swim super easy 18min P/B

Cooldown for the rest

Getting my butt handed to me by the currents at the beach! 

B707D512-A285-4247-9D8A-A39C7FCDE851.jpeg

• Like 1

Struggle street this morning finding the motivation to swim. I'd planned an early one, taking advantage of the full moon to start well before dawn so I could get home early.

When the alarm went off I reset it for an hour later. Then when it went off again I snoozed it for 10 minutes. Finally got going, then when I got to the dam I stood on the bank & looked out thinking "This is gunna be shit".  Finally got in, still under moonlight, and headed off for 4km. My watch vibrates every 500m, so I have a quick look at my splits. Normally I kick off with an 8 high. Today was 9:07. Then a 9:17, followed by a 9:05. I thought I was swimming faster than that, but just must have been flat. I turned a couple hundred metres early, and recorded another 9+ for the next 500m. 

I don't know what happened after that, cause I didn't feel much different, but the next split was 8:35, followed by an 8:17. I pulled up for a chat with another regular about 200m from the end, but noticed I was still maintaining that pace up till I stopped to talk. Eased up over the last hundred metres, and felt good when I got out.

A little colder than normal I think, but in the end I was glad I made the effort. Only 1 swim at the dam to go before Melbourne, and I'm so glad I challenged myself to swim every day this month.

Next month I'm giving up .........................................................chocolate. :(

edit to add: I found my new goal.

When the local pool opened last year (late due to refurbishment) I hadn't swum in 13 weeks, and I did 1km the first day, and it nearly killed me.

It opens in 2 weeks time this year. I'm going to try 100 x 100 the first day it opens. Hopefully I won't feel any worse than I did after my first swim last year. :)

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Struggle street this morning finding the motivation to swim. I'd planned an early one, taking advantage of the full moon to start well before dawn so I could get home early.

When the alarm went off I reset it for an hour later. Then when it went off again I snoozed it for 10 minutes. Finally got going, then when I got to the dam I stood on the bank & looked out thinking "This is gunna be shit".  Finally got in, still under moonlight, and headed off for 4km. My watch vibrates every 500m, so I have a quick look at my splits. Normally I kick off with an 8 high. Today was 9:07. Then a 9:17, followed by a 9:05. I thought I was swimming faster than that, but just must have been flat. I turned a couple hundred metres early, and recorded another 9+ for the next 500m. 

I don't know what happened after that, cause I didn't feel much different, but the next split was 8:35, followed by an 8:17. I pulled up for a chat with another regular about 200m from the end, but noticed I was still maintaining that pace up till I stopped to talk. Eased up over the last hundred metres, and felt good when I got out.

A little colder than normal I think, but in the end I was glad I made the effort. Only 1 swim at the dam to go before Melbourne, and I'm so glad I challenged myself to swim every day this month.

Next month I'm giving up .........................................................chocolate. :(

edit to add: I found my new goal.

When the local pool opened last year (late due to refurbishment) I hadn't swum in 13 weeks, and I did 1km the first day, and it nearly killed me.

It opens in 2 weeks time this year. I'm going to try 100 x 100 the first day it opens. Hopefully I won't feel any worse than I did after my first swim last year. :)

Awesome 

Post December I want to(can't believe I'm writing this) get better at swimming. Through the Winterfish V1 & V2 I've really started to WANT to swim. Even when I am tired as. 

Good work Ex 

Well that’s me done for Winterfish mark 2. I always planned to train up as far as the Magnetic Island to Townsville open water race then give my poor old shoulders a month or two off. 

This year was my first year of Trannies  Winterfish (1&2) but it proved to be the perfect motivation to put in the miles for my long July swim.

BTW I highly recommend the Maggie Island swim. It’s extremely well organised by a very friendly crew, plus sunny Townsville is a great place to visit and swim at this time of year.

33AEE927-D967-4479-8E29-625079D39B83.jpeg

E3045966-1582-480C-A142-F74CEA36DB2C.jpeg

5F3F7671-9247-457B-969F-7BAE6341BFA7.jpeg

B96B6888-D49D-4C52-A9C7-9F6D12D405FC.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, Mike Del said:

Well that’s me done for Winterfish mark 2. I always planned to train up as far as the Magnetic Island to Townsville open water race then give my poor old shoulders a month or two off. 

This year was my first year of Trannies  Winterfish (1&2) but it proved to be the perfect motivation to put in the miles for my long July swim.

BTW I highly recommend the Maggie Island swim. It’s extremely well organised by a very friendly crew, plus sunny Townsville is a great place to visit and swim at this time of year.

Awesome work. Makes me miss CQ even more now! 

Cheers 

1 hour ago, Mike Del said:

Were you scared of crocs?

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

Were you scared of crocs?

Ignorance is bliss lol  

Actually a local said a tiger shark was more likely than a crock.

I told my workmates if I was taken by a shark or crock I’d get more press than the winner 😁

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Mike Del said:

Ignorance is bliss lol  

Actually a local said a tiger shark was more likely than a crock.

I told my workmates if I was taken by a shark or crock I’d get more press than the winner 😁

Well I was going to ask about sharks too. But thought the crocs might've eaten them all.

How do you Melbourne people train in Winter? It's ridiculous outside this morning.

Oh well. Off to Brighton. :)

How'd ya go Exy? 

What loop you do?

Spoke to my 'berger mate last night & told him to keep an eye for a banana bender.

I had a ball Moshy. I went out, under the pier, and to the corner. 1km all up. Water was 9.4 degrees. A bit chilly getting in, and felt the cold the whole way, but quite bearable. The sauna & steam room afterwards actually meant I felt warmer sooner than I do in Brisbane, just getting changed beside the dam.

DSC_2193.JPG

DSC_2194.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I had a ball Moshy. I went out, under the pier, and to the corner. 1km all up. Water was 9.4 degrees. A bit chilly getting in, and felt the cold the whole way, but quite bearable. The sauna & steam room afterwards actually meant I felt warmer sooner than I do in Brisbane, just getting changed beside the dam.

DSC_2193.JPG

DSC_2194.JPG

Fantastic, about 10 mins from my home. 

Did you swim with the Brighton guys, or the people that swim out of the yacht club?

Swam out of the yacht club Nick. Thinking about heading down again before I go home and doing the full loop. I think it's about 2km.

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Swam out of the yacht club Nick. Thinking about heading down again before I go home and doing the full loop. I think it's about 2km.

Yep, if it's the course I do, that's about right.

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

No swimming today.

I feel dirty. :(

In positive news, dry July is over.. 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pieman said:

In positive news, dry July is over.. 😁

Yeah, well it finished a few hours early. I was working on Auckland time. :)

What could I say when a mate I haven't seen for 12 months turns up at the motel room with a bottle of JW Blue.

But Chocolate free August has just begun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Biggest July, and month, since around 1998. 60.5k..! Still trying to comprehend 80k weeks that the great ones do...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

But Chocolate free August has just begun.

Noooooooo ..... that’s just crazy talk 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick777 said:

That's a similar course to the Australia Day swim. Nice effort 

I'll bet it was warmer then. :)

I had a few seconds, out at the 3rd pylon where I thought I was going to cramp, but it came good. Other than that, it was great. They had sub 9 degrees a couple weeks ago. I'd like to see one day how low I could go, but you really need to take it gradual, and just visiting now & then isn't the way to do it.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I'll bet it was warmer then. :)

I had a few seconds, out at the 3rd pylon where I thought I was going to cramp, but it came good. Other than that, it was great. They had sub 9 degrees a couple weeks ago. I'd like to see one day how low I could go, but you really need to take it gradual, and just visiting now & then isn't the way to do it.

My old coach, who swims out of there, says that's the way to do it. Swims all year round, and doesn't notice the drop off in temp so much. I remember him telling me it was 6.7 one day...!!

1 hour ago, Nick777 said:

My old coach, who swims out of there, says that's the way to do it. Swims all year round, and doesn't notice the drop off in temp so much. I remember him telling me it was 6.7 one day...!!

Very difficult to prep for it here in Brisbane, but I'd really love to try an Ice Mile. It'd take a full winter season of prepping I reckon, and even Melbourne would be hard. Maybe Tassie?

I know some of the guys up here prep for the channel by having ice baths.

• Like 1

Straight swim 

4.3km paddles and bouy 

3.8km at "all day pace" concentrating on turn over. 

Last 500m at a medium effort. 

Whole time concentrating on form at the catch. 

Happy Friday all 

• Like 2

Well, that didn't feel any warmer than it did prior to swimming in Melbourne.

And we need to think about getting a sauna installed at the dam.

I've also just realised how much easier it is to swim in salt water. Even with a chop for half the swim in Melbourne, I ended up about the same average speed as the flat swim in the lake here. And when I got into the calm water inside the harbour, it was much faster. So much easier to find a good body position, and hardly had to kick at all.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Well, that didn't feel any warmer than it did prior to swimming in Melbourne.

And we need to think about getting a sauna installed at the dam.

I've also just realised how much easier it is to swim in salt water. Even with a chop for half the swim in Melbourne, I ended up about the same average speed as the flat swim in the lake here. And when I got into the calm water inside the harbour, it was much faster. So much easier to find a good body position, and hardly had to kick at all.

Yep.. I have noticed the buoyancy difference between the pool & the bay (when it's a bit warmer!!), totally different feel - you can just drag the legs.

The funny thing is, however... I have an issue with salt. Too long in the water & my tongue goes numb.

When I was playing football, I had significant cramping issues (coming back from injury), and salt tablets were recommended... didn't go well - ended up making me sluggish, and keeping me awake all night with an elevated heart rate. I am apparently one of the 5% that is allergic to them.

When I did the NZ ironman, I had no issues at all getting out & riding, but both times I did Melbourne, I was nauseous for most of the day post swim, and I'm wondering if the salt water had something to do with it.

Cranky, are you coming along to the dam tomorrow to celebrate Mary's successful Channel swim? 5:30 in the carpark. Wetsuits are allowed.

• Like 1

1.5km yesterday 

3.1km today 

Holy crap I felt shit today in the water. Geez 😔😔😔 not much fun. Got through it