Andrew #1

Winterfish 2018

Can strava group do distance or just time? 

I don’t really want to record everything outside strava. 

But yes. Let’s play. 

I did rubbish last year but I reckon I'm game for the half this year at least :)

I've had one swim in the last 3 or 4 weeks and a string of run related injuries over the past couple of months...  It's probably just what I need! :thumbsup:

Just put me down for 0 and Ex for 250km and be done with it..

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

What is the go? 

How far in how long? 

I'm interested 

Start today. That means the last day will be Sunday June 24.

I’m in for 50 - of which I aim to get a minimum of 45km done by the end of the swim leg at Cairns IM 70.3 (5 weeks from today) with the balance loggged as recovery sessions in the following 2 weeks. In other words I aim to average at lest 9km per week over the next 5 weeks. Simple :)

1 minute ago, FFF1077 said:

What is the go? 

How far in how long? 

I'm interested 

Traditionally, it’s a 50 day challenge (i.e. 7 weeks and 1 day). The challenge has been broken into 2 categories - “Winterfish” - a 50km (1km per day) challenge and “Superfish” - double at 100km. 

• Like 1

Just now, FFF1077 said:

So 50km by the end of June? 

Pretty much, but if the challenge starts today you need to log your kms by midnight on 24 June. Some folk do an unofficial version - where they either start early or late. Unofficially, I started 2 weeks ago so that all of my main swim training is done by the June long weekend when I do Cairns IM. On the official challenge I have often fallen short by a few kms, by unofficially I usually do a minimum of 50 km in the 50 days leading into race day in Cairns. 

• Like 1

Well I’ll start in 20 mins, haven’t swumm for a fortnight, so this is the kick in thhe bum I need. Was only saying to the wife yesterday “It’s a wonder Winterfish hasn’t started yet!”

• Like 2

1.85 this morning.

I think we should have a "Babyfish" challenge for 25km too ;)

14 minutes ago, monkie said:

1.85 this morning.

Tadpoles

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, monkie said:

1.85 this morning.

Bait-fish maybe?

3.4km this morning, so off to a good start. It's a public holiday up here tomorrow, so I was hoping to go long, but I think I've been outvoted, and we're going 4WDing , so will have to cut it a bit short. :(

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Bait-fish maybe?

3.4km this morning, so off to a good start. It's a public holiday up here tomorrow, so I was hoping to go long, but I think I've been outvoted, and we're going 4WDing , so will have to cut it a bit short. :(

At enoggera tomorrow? I'll be there mid to late morning

9 minutes ago, A2K said:

At enoggera tomorrow? I'll be there mid to late morning

Yes. Anna is heading off at 6 & will be swimming till 2. I'll be getting in around 5:30 or 6 & getting out around 9. I'm not sure at this stage what  route she'll be swimming, but we'll have a floating aid station at the farthest buoy at the end of the dam wall for drinks & gels, so probably won't be back to shore. There'll be quite a number joining & leaving throughout the day, so you're welcome to join.

Cranky, you should come along & support Anna as well.

• Like 1

Think I’m going to give this a try. Need to do something to get my swimming up to scratch. I’ll start tomorrow 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Yes. Anna is heading off at 6 & will be swimming till 2. I'll be getting in around 5:30 or 6 & getting out around 9. I'm not sure at this stage what  route she'll be swimming, but we'll have a floating aid station at the farthest buoy at the end of the dam wall for drinks & gels, so probably won't be back to shore. There'll be quite a number joining & leaving throughout the day, so you're welcome to join.

Cranky, you should come along & support Anna as well.

Yes  i should've :(

10 hours ago, Limited said:

Think I’m going to give this a try. Need to do something to get my swimming up to scratch. I’ll start tomorrow 

Swam 2.1km in the pool this morning. good start

• Like 1

Just looked at my travel schedule for the next month... this is going to be a challenge! Baitfish for sure!

2 hours ago, Cranky said:

Yes  i should've :(

Still time. Take the family along to play around the swim area, and you can head off with her on her last lap. She'll be looking for support by then.

Off to a good start. 10km this morning for a total of 13.4km for the first 2 days.

I also think that will be my total for the first 3 days. :)

• Like 1

Andrew, you started too early last year. Winter pretends to start in AUS on 1 June. Most of the civilised world measure from solstice/equinox. You’re a month early by either measure. 

I’ll still play with you. 

1.5 + 2.5 at the weekend. The ocean is a balmy 19 high. 

35 minutes ago, monkie said:

Are we gonna start the spreadsheet?

NOOO!

Just use Strava

2.2km here

2.5km 

always need some extra motivation to stare at that line

6 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

NOOO!

Just use Strava

2.2km here

but strava group doesnt track distance.  Just time.

well...

WAAAAAAAA😪

🤣🤣

Can it be a google type doc that can be easily edited via a phone please??

1 hour ago, tortoise said:

Andrew, you started too early last year. Winter pretends to start in AUS on 1 June. Most of the civilised world measure from solstice/equinox. You’re a month early by either measure. 

I’ll still play with you. 

1.5 + 2.5 at the weekend. The ocean is a balmy 19 high. 

I totally agree, but by tradition the trannies Winterfish challenge starts at or about the beginning of May each year (I didn’t set the rules).

It suits me because it gives me that little bit of extra motivation to get about 50km done in the 5 weeks leading into Ironman Cairns (which has been my end of season ‘A’ race since 2013) just when the weather tends to turn cold in Sydney and it would otherwise be way too easy to skip some swim sessions.

4 hours ago, batman said:

how does anyone swim 10km??

Slowly, and with a lot of determination, though Anna (in the background here) was swimming a little quicker than me the whole of the 10km. Then when I got out, she continued on for another 5 hours. 

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, swimming, outdoor, nature and water

THAT, is a big day.

• Like 3

You have to ride 100k for any swim times to be valid ex. 

6 minutes ago, Peter said:

You have to ride 100k for any swim times to be valid ex. 

Does it have to be in one ride? If so, I might have to go up to see Goughy some time. Big Westerlys coming up next weekend, so I figure I can do the first 25km downhill, then the rest with a howling tailwind. :)

14 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Does it have to be in one ride? If so, I might have to go up to see Goughy some time. Big Westerlys coming up next weekend, so I figure I can do the first 25km downhill, then the rest with a howling tailwind. :)

We both know that's not going to happen

38 minutes ago, Peter said:

We both know that's not going to happen

True. But apparently it's 70% mental, so if I think real hard, then ride 30km, that should round off to 100km.

• Haha 3

On ‎6‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 6:20 AM, Go Easy said:

I've had one swim in the last 3 or 4 weeks and a string of run related injuries over the past couple of months...  It's probably just what I need! :thumbsup:

I checked my training log and it was only one swim in the past 6 weeks, and it was only 1km.  Yep, I really need to do this Winterfish!

I'm on my way with a relaxed 2km this evening at the beautiful Wagga Oasis Aquatic Centre.

• Like 1

I've been playing around with different breathing patterns and have started breathing 4-2-4. Hard work to start with, but now if I switch back to every 2 it feels weird and inefficient. I was doing a main set of 10 x 100s and although I was gassed and having to breathe every 2, I kept on trying to revert to 4-2-4 as that feels more natural. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zed said:

I've been playing around with different breathing patterns and have started breathing 4-2-4. Hard work to start with, but now if I switch back to every 2 it feels weird and inefficient. I was doing a main set of 10 x 100s and although I was gassed and having to breathe every 2, I kept on trying to revert to 4-2-4 as that feels more natural. 

Have you tried every 3? Works out the same number of breaths, and once you've got bilateral down pat it offers the ability to breath away from choppy waves, or keep the sun out of your eyes. 

19 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

True. But apparently it's 70% mental, so if I think real hard, then ride 30km, that should round off to 100km.

#rainallmorning #nohillrepeats #softcockme

6 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Have you tried every 3? Works out the same number of breaths, and once you've got bilateral down pat it offers the ability to breath away from choppy waves, or keep the sun out of your eyes. 

Yeah every 3 is OK. 4-2-4 is better!

Not that I need to swim train - I'm now officially a duathlete apparently...

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, zed said:

Not that I need to swim train - I'm now officially a duathlete apparently...

I accindentilly set off a lady at the pool. I was resting between intervals and I commented on how lovely the weather is today.... Off she went....LOL..."Not as bad as Sunday, geez, 60kmh winds...etc etc etc"....

I was slightly scared so I pressed lap and swam away. Bit rude maybe but I was fearing for my life*😨

*sarcasm😄

• Haha 1