Peter

Lap pools a waste. IP is smarter than us all

This is a bit taken from an interview with one of the best age group athletes at the moment.

Sam Gyde

Sam: Between Kona and now, I swam 85h on the Vasa indoor trainer and during the 2 weeks before I headed to Texas I spent 7h in the endless pool to get some feel for the water. Add the 2 open water swims in Lake Conroe and you have my complete swim prep.

ST: Is that pretty typical for you?

Sam: Yes, the Vasa is a great swim trainer if you use it right. The only thing it doesn’t train is your core muscles, so I need to get a couple of hours in the water before a race to activate those again. Lap pool swimming is such a waste of time

I just watched their promo on youtube. Interesting. Dont think I would like to use it for all my swim trainining

34 minutes ago, Surfer said:

I just watched their promo on youtube. Interesting. Dont think I would like to use it for all my swim trainining

Same.  Swimming is boring enough.  That just looks terrible

• Like 1

Vasa will be sponsoring IMWA next year....ready for the swim cancellation.

• Like 1

I'm not at all a fan on Sam Gyde, he says all the time "I'm only focused on me etc etc" but every opportunity he gets he's bagging on someone. He needs to move on and get over the doping thing...

As for swimming, his reults, or lack there of in the water speak volumes for how stupid this "no pool" approach is.

13 minutes ago, willie said:

I'm not at all a fan on Sam Gyde, he says all the time "I'm only focused on me etc etc" but every opportunity he gets he's bagging on someone. He needs to move on and get over the doping thing...

As for swimming, his reults, or lack there of in the water speak volumes for how stupid this "no pool" approach is.

Yeah. I just had a look. 75th in his AG at Kona. Not really a great advertisement for the product. 

34 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Yeah. I just had a look. 75th in his AG at Kona. Not really a great advertisement for the product. 

75th?  Really?

he usually podiums. 

1 minute ago, Peter said:

75th?  Really?

he usually podiums. 

75th in the swim. He makes it all up on the bike & the run. He probably actually rides & runs in training.

26 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

75th in the swim. He makes it all up on the bike & the run. He probably actually rides & runs in training.

I sort of agree with this approach. I swim around the 1:15 mark when fit for all my Ironmans (I may have improved but I'm not sure my last 5 Ironman races have all been fresh water)

My run has improved by over an hour in the last 4 years. I'm working on bike this year & plan to get that down by 20min.

To swim a 16min quicker will take a shit load more time and effort.

One of the comments he makes is it takes him an hour drive to get to the pool. No wonder he uses a Vasa at home

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Limited said:

One of the comments he makes is it takes him an hour drive to get to the pool. No wonder he uses a Vasa at home

That'd be the telling factor. If it takes 4 hours to do a 2 hour training session, then of course it's a "waste of time".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, softy said:

Vasa will be sponsoring IMWA next year....ready for the swim cancellation.

Could line them all up on the jetty, that way people can look at the post race image on their  garmins and see they were out to sea.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

That'd be the telling factor. If it takes 4 hours to do a 2 hour training session, then of course it's a "waste of time".

Plus you can save time by not bothering with togs - allegedly

• Sad 1

Vasa trainers are aweome, but they only go so far .... they don't replicate current, waves, sprints and a whole host of other conditions. A bit like the Ski ergos for XC skiing - they don't replicate hills, cold, different snow, waxes etc.

I find it hard to believe someone can live an hour from somewhere swimmable.

On slowtwits its an hour round trip, plus change time.

So an hours swim becomes 2 1/2 hours. 

48 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

But does he swim uphill in the rain? 

When i use to squad at engadine with mick, we did heaps of flipper/ fin work.  Can you wear flippers on this.

Seriously, if you lived nowhere near water, it would be good.