Flanman

Port - Right Here, Right Now

Just saw AP  looking good on the run. 

2 minutes ago, roxii said:

GO you tiger. Bring it home & make me proud.

• Haha 1

Paul Every just finished 13 km. And now the night kicks in. 

FM

19B158F8-C0D5-48DD-8E63-8A261236CCDA.jpeg

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Flanman said:

Paul Every just finished 13 km. And now the night kicks in. 

FM

19B158F8-C0D5-48DD-8E63-8A261236CCDA.jpeg

Awesome picture. Good work mate 

Trout home in 10:16. 8th in his AG. 

Mrs Trout is smashing her AG by 2 hours with about 15km to run. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, roxii said:

The athlete tracker had him stopped at 135 km into the ride. I was thinking the worst. Great to hear he is still going strong.

6 minutes ago, Shuffla said:

Trout home in 10:16. 8th in his AG. 

Mrs Trout is smashing her AG by 2 hours with about 15km to run. 

Rosie is someone that will qualify for kona every year like AP. 

So much better than anyone else in their ag. 

2 minutes ago, Peter said:

Rosie is someone that will qualify for kona every year like AP. 

So much better than anyone else in their ag. 

Wasn’t always the case though. She has improved with age. 

7 minutes ago, Shuffla said:

Wasn’t always the case though. She has improved with age. 

Absolutely. Worked hard.  And has to put up with IP. 

• Haha 1

I saw the Clint sign. From a distance it looked like ........another word.

FM

• Haha 2

Tracker for Paul Every seems to have stopped working a couple of hours ago. Hope everything is ok.

anyone have an update on Paul’s progress?

Flanman - what was your final finishing time? Tracker hasn’t recorded you past 18km on the run ...

it just amazes me that after 20 years Ironman still hasn’t got its timing up to scratch. ...

Edited by Andrew #1
  • Like 1

Just now, Andrew #1 said:

Tracker for Paul Every seems to have stopped working a couple of hours ago. Hope everything is ok.

anyone have an update on Paul’s progress?

Last seen head back out to Settlement Point road from Race Central about 15mins ago. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, clintred said:

That’s my bosses doing......... she calls a spade a spade!!!!!

As I said.  You did well.

C!_!NT 

• Like 2

Good work for old boy.

Even broke thirteen hours for tranny credibility.

Did he get that age group record Peter?

Screenshot_20180507-064331.png

• Like 3

Thanks for the support out there. 

The course support on the run was great even for those of us that were well into the night

• Like 1

I don’t know what the records are. But it’s farking Impressive. 

• Like 1

Massive weekend for me with work and social stuff and then a hangover................and I missed nearly all of the day.

Anyway congratulations to all the finishers, the first timers and all the Trannies.

Thanks Flanman for bringing the vibe of the weekend here for us to experience.

So Port has the Ironman for another 3 years? Hmmmmmmm.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, nealo said:

Massive weekend for me with work and social stuff and then a hangover................and I missed nearly all of the day.

Anyway congratulations to all the finishers, the first timers and all the Trannies.

Thanks Flanman for bringing the vibe of the weekend here for us to experience.

Confirmed last week. 

To the end of 2021

7 hours ago, nealo said:

And with that news...

Guess I know what I am doing in 2020...

• Like 3

Thanks to everyone for all the support yesterday. It certainly made a difference on a tough day.

This year was always going to be about just finishing. After giving up cycling and running 15 months ago to help me fatten up for ocean swimming, then not doing any meaningful riding and just a couple of significant runs in recent months, Port was destined to be a slow year.

Despite a very conservative swim and start to the bike, my quads felt smashed by about 70km on the bike. Walking was painfully difficult by the time I got off the bike. The "run" was just a slow shuffle interspersed with regular walks through the aid stations and up the small hill. Unfortunately, no amount of managing your race is going to make up for such a paucity of training.

Finished in over 14:30, but thoroughly enjoyed the event. For me, being a part of IMAust (thankfully) goes well beyond my own performance.

Despite my initial ambivalence and uncertainties about whether I could or would make it to the startline, I knew it was the right decision and was excited to have the opportunity to be at IMAust as soon as I arrived in Port.

As for next year, it will continue to be a year-by-year proposition.

• Like 9

I am now defunct of Port. Currently in Moree ready to savour the hot spring mineral water pools. But first..

FM

FCB85520-DEE9-4C2B-B174-CA4EF958F53D.jpeg

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Flanman said:

I am now defunct of Port. Currently in Moree ready to savour the hot spring mineral water pools. But first..

FM

Have you actually stopped drinking since the beer mile?

Or are you straight back into training for next year's event?

Three days on the beers.  I'm feeling horrible but so pumped to have a crack next year.  Bring in 2019.  Can we start a thread?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I haven’t unpacked yet so beer cooler tomorrow. Have I stopped drinking. Well, I had to at 8.30 last night. I had to leave early this morning. The last slab of beer mile drinks didn’t make it home. 

FM

1 hour ago, RunBrettRun said:

Three days on the beers.  I'm feeling horrible but so pumped to have a crack next year.  Bring in 2019.  Can we start a thread?

YES!

21 hours ago, Paul Every said:

Thanks to everyone for all the support yesterday. It certainly made a difference on a tough day.

This year was always going to be about just finishing. After giving up cycling and running 15 months ago to help me fatten up for ocean swimming, then not doing any meaningful riding and just a couple of significant runs in recent months, Port was destined to be a slow year.

Despite a very conservative swim and start to the bike, my quads felt smashed by about 70km on the bike. Walking was painfully difficult by the time I got off the bike. The "run" was just a slow shuffle interspersed with regular walks through the aid stations and up the small hill. Unfortunately, no amount of managing your race is going to make up for such a paucity of training.

Finished in over 14:30, but thoroughly enjoyed the event. For me, being a part of IMAust (thankfully) goes well beyond my own performance.

Despite my initial ambivalence and uncertainties about whether I could or would make it to the startline, I knew it was the right decision and was excited to have the opportunity to be at IMAust as soon as I arrived in Port.

As for next year, it will continue to be a year-by-year proposition.

Paul. You’ll be back.

Dave Ross on 32 Finished and a DNF this year, meaning I can’t see him returning.

You are now on 31 Finishes........ and closing in....with Luis right behind you who have an impressive race.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Paul. You’ll be back.

Dave Ross on 32 Finished and a DNF this year, meaning I can’t see him returning.

You are now on 31 Finishes........ and closing in....with Luis right behind you who have an impressive race.

Luis had an amazing race given he never swims. Sub 12. 30finishes. 

Insane 

• Like 1

11.05 for me which is a 43min PB from my IM debut at Port last year.  Stayed consistent with a puncture last year and a puncture/mechanical again this year which cost me 10mins....😑  Goal was to PB the swim and bike, did that by 8mins on swim and 19mins on the bike, then somehow jagged a 13min PB run. Stoked. But pissed I could of had a 10.xx next to my name, guess I'll have to do it again...

Great race/town, crowd support awesome.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Herby said:

11.05 for me which is a 43min PB from my IM debut at Port last year.  Stayed consistent with a puncture last year and a puncture/mechanical again this year which cost me 10mins....😑  Goal was to PB the swim and bike, did that by 8mins on swim and 19mins on the bike, then somehow jagged a 13min PB run. Stoked. But pissed I could of had a 10.xx next to my name, guess I'll have to do it again...

Great race/town, crowd support awesome.

I know the feeling

17 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

I vote yes!  I'll be in for 2019 as I age up and based on the roll down in 50-54 it could be a big year.

"All" I need is sub 10:30, down from 2017's 12:10.  How hard could it be.  pfffft

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, ScubaSteve said:

I vote yes!  I'll be in for 2019 as I age up and based on the roll down in 50-54 it could be a big year.

"All" I need is sub 10:30, down from 2017's 12:10.  How hard could it be.  pfffft

How bad do you want it? 

31 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

How bad do you want it? 

and that's really the big question isn't it.

To give you a serious answer....it was always the "I'd love to qualify for Kona but it's out of my league". 
That's until I looked at this years roll down. I'm confident I can drop my 2017 time from 12:10 to 11:10.

Finding that extra 40minutes for a sub 10:30 means taking that next step in time commitment, planning, probably finding a coach and spending a year totally dedicated to it.  

Do I have it in me?  I'm not sure to be honest.  But a seed has been planted :)

28 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

To give you a serious answer....it was always the "I'd love to qualify for Kona but it's out of my league". 
That's until I looked at this years roll down. I'm confident I can drop my 2017 time from 12:10 to 11:10.

Finding that extra 40minutes for a sub 10:30 means taking that next step in time commitment, planning, probably finding a coach and spending a year totally dedicated to it.  

Interesting I always thought people either had the ability or not.  However Smitty from this site and I did our first Ironman in 2001.  He did a 13:5? time.

10 years later he qualified at Ironman Japan.

He wasn't that special at all in any leg.  But he did 4 things that have always been really interesting to me.

For 3 years before he first qualified

1. He never slept past 4:30am.  In bed by 8pm. (remember for 3 years before he first qualified)
  2. He trained with people heaps better than him.
  3. He stopped working Wednesdays 
  4. When dinner got served, he only ever ate half of the plate.

He went on to qualify the first time at Ironman Japan and the second time I think it was at Port Mac against at the time John Hills age group.  It was a tough group at the time.

So my thinking certainly changed that if you want to qualify you can.  it's just at what cost you are willing to pay.  (I'm not talking money)

Fark I sound like AP.  God help me.

Edited by Peter
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

I like that answer.  Very honest.

My advice is don't look at  the overall time.  Go check the splits of guys who went 10.30.  The improvements are more manageable when you look at improvement over the 3 legs.

• Like 1

The important thing to hold for a year is the desire - the strength of the goal - and you don't have to train flat out for a year - that won't get it - it's much more doable and able to fit around a "life" if you improve one leg at a time - that's the way I get guys down - maintain the rest while you build strengths in other areas - you usually don't need more than 5 days a week until the last 16 weeks then it's only 6 days

So my thinking certainly changed that if you want to qualify you can.  it's just at what cost you are willing to pay.  (I'm not talking money)

That's it - it's heavily dependent on the strength of goal - the self belief gradually builds over time 😎

1 hour ago, RunBrettRun said:

I like that answer.  Very honest.

My advice is don't look at  the overall time.  Go check the splits of guys who have the 3 legs.

There's the secret.... 

The ****ers have 3 legs!?! FARK 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just a question for the 70.3ers. Can you let me know what distance your watches said. Thks. 

FM

PS: just finished a bbq and two coronas. Heading over  to soak in the 35C mineral pools in Moree. Air temperature- 21C at 6.30pm. 

Edited by Flanman
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Flanman said:

Just a question for the 70.3ers. Can you let me know what distance your watches said. Thks. 

FM

PS: just finished a bbq and two coronas. Heading over  to soak in the 35C mineral pools in Moree. Air temperature- 21C at 6.30pm. 

Swim - 1.979km

Bike - 90.5km

Run - 21.3km

Edited by wombattri

2 hours ago, Flanman said:

During the run I thought my watch was pretty close (within 25m) at the various KM markers on the course (not that I'm saying they are perfectly accurate)... it ticked over 21km on the Buller St footbridge which was clearly more than 100m from the finish line...

Thks. That means a pb swim and ride for me this year. Run was a pw so there’s a lot of work for me next year. 

Two more  weeks off and then the fun begins. 

FM

14 hours ago, Peter said:

Interesting I always thought people either had the ability or not.  However Smitty from this site and I did our first Ironman in 2001.  He did a 13:5? time.

10 years later he qualified at Ironman Japan.

He wasn't that special at all in any leg.  But he did 4 things that have always been really interesting to me.

For 3 years before he first qualified

1. He never slept past 4:30am.  In bed by 8pm. (remember for 3 years before he first qualified)
  2. He trained with people heaps better than him.
  3. He stopped working Wednesdays 
  4. When dinner got served, he only ever ate half of the plate.

He went on to qualify the first time at Ironman Japan and the second time I think it was at Port Mac against at the time John Hills age group.  It was a tough group at the time.

So my thinking certainly changed that if you want to qualify you can.  it's just at what cost you are willing to pay.  (I'm not talking money)

Fark I sound like AP.  God help me.

IIRC Vernon, former Trannie, qualified at his 2nd IM in NZ. He qualified by getting a first roll down spot but was 4th in AG I think.

He had 18mths off between his IMs, I do know why but that is his story to share.

He dedicated a year to it. Attended Gordon's Epic Camp with Bjorn Anderson and signed up to be coached by ( I think) Scott Molina.

Did Kona in 2005 I think. Never did a tri again. Goal achieved, walked away.

Edited by FatPom