Sign in to follow this  
Ex-Hasbeen

Giro - Grand Tour Tipping Contest

On 14/05/2018 at 11:15 AM, Peter said:

How good is this footage about 3:30 in of the mountains?

No, the real highlight is at 7:03.

26 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

No, the real highlight is at 7:03.

I suppose that's because you can go see the mountains any year. You won't see that again in your lifetime. :)

It looks like I'll be relying on a miracle to pip Cogsucker in this year's comp. Chaves was my ace over them until he cracked yesterday, and with Doumolin in their team, it's not looking good. 

12 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I suppose that's because you can go see the mountains any year. You won't see that again in your lifetime. :)

Precisely.  I have that same sticker plastered over......everything.

I think the race is between Yates and Doumolin. Pinot or Pozzovivo or even someone like Bennett might be able to slip into second, but I can't see them winning.

Without blood bags, no-one is getting stronger in the 3rd week and Yates is so dominant in the mountains that I can't see anyone turning around their form enough to pull big time out of him. Doumolin is the unknown. He is climbing ok, but how much time can pull out in the TT?

40 minutes ago, Naut said:

Doumolin is the unknown. He is climbing ok, but how much time can pull out in the TT?

This is the big question. I think that's why Yates is taking every opportunity he can get to pull extra seconds out of him. Yates had the TT of his life in the prologue, and dropped 20 seconds over 10km. With a 34km TT next week, he probably still needs more than the 47 seconds he has now. He'll be looking to take more time on at least 1 of the 2 x mountain top finishes this weekend before the TT.

His result there will determine how Mitchelton Scott approach the last week. Stage 18 is flat, then has a CAT1 climb to the finish, then the following 2 days are big climber's days, both with mountain finishes as well. It could make for some exciting racing if they are close going in to Friday's stage.

Think Dumoulin will pull t least 2 mins over yates in the TT.

Still, perhaps Yates can gain more time. He's now got Chaves as a super domestique...and the MS squad seem a lot stronger than Sunweb.

They're climbing the Zoncolan tonight. This could be the one that decides the Giro. It's one of the hardest climbs a professional cyclist will race up, and at 10.1km at an average of 11.9%, and a couple of 20% sections, any weaknesses will be magnified. A GC contender having a bad day today could find themselves a few minutes down, and out of podium contention.

Here's hoping I can find a good replay in the morning before I hear any results.

Here's a little clip from the last episode on the Zoncolan, where Borgiono and Rogers were leading from the breakaway, until a fan tried to assist.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

I've totally forgotten about this. Leader board?? I can't remember my login 😂😂

3 points between me and you Ex-HB! But anything could happen.  Still a lot of racing to go

• Like 1

Froom has made a "miraculous recovery" for you Ex😁 Who'd have thought?

7 minutes ago, mhvh said:

Froom has made a "miraculous recovery" for you Ex😁 Who'd have thought?

I finally got time to watch the replay. I only got the last 5km, but it was a doosey. 3:10 down now, and if he can take a couple minutes in the TT he'll be a real threat. And he's certainly got Pinot & Pozzivivo in his sights to get on the podium.

Maybe his asthma played up before the stage. :)

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I finally got time to watch the replay. I only got the last 5km, but it was a doosey. 3:10 down now, and if he can take a couple minutes in the TT he'll be a real threat. And he's certainly got Pinot & Pozzivivo in his sights to get on the podium.

Maybe his asthma played up before the stage. :)

There was a clip of him thanking his mechanic after the stage in the team truck. Maybe his electric motor was fully charged this time?? 

No pollen in Italy today, so Froome didn't need his medication. Poor bugger.

Rest day tonight, then the race that could decide the Giro. I hope Yates left some in the tank after a brilliant ride again today. 

Yates finished only 1:15 from Dumoulin in the TT last night, so holds a 56sec lead over the Dutchman. With over 3 minutes to Pozzovivo & nearly 4 to Froome, he just has to hold it together over the 3 mountain finishes from tomorrow night to gain Mitchelton Scott's first Grand Tour.

Froome is still a chance to get on the podium (I hope he does, as he's in my team), but with Dumoulin in 2nd & Dennis in 6th, Team Cogsuckers look a good chance of taking out the overall honours this year in the Giro.

The first chink in Simon's armour. The other GC contenders took back 28sec last night in the final 2km of the climb. 2 more big nights of climbing to get through.

Looks like the pollen count was low again overnight - Froome with an 80km solo effort to take a 30sec lead in the GC.

Nothing to see here.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, The new guy said:

Looks like the pollen count was low again overnight - Froome with an 80km solo effort to take a 30sec lead in the GC.

Nothing to see here.

Hmmmm shades of previous dope fiends...

• Thanks 1

Awesome stage. As good a start the landis stage in the 2006 tour. 

I love froome. 

Pic from steno 

CFF89D9B-3228-453C-855A-0C7EEE2BF68F.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Great to watch. Terrible for cycling. 

#unblessed #landislike #believe #armstrong #dope #****thisshit 

The discussion around the post ride coffee, was not what an awesome ride, but is it credible?. Are we harsh critic's, realist's or just interested spectators?

Interesting article on cycling tips about it this morning, which I have to agree with.

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/05/only-love-can-break-your-heart-a-lamentation-on-chris-froome/

• Thanks 2

The only good that can possibly come from last night's ride is............ Cogsucker doesn't have Froome in his team. :)

And what that effort and result does for me is make me not want to watch the Tour. At all. For the first time since 2003 I am actually thinking of really avoiding anything to do with the Tour. 

One thing I know from the Giro. Yates and Chaves are clean. And I will make sure that I yell even ****ing louder for them in the future. 

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

And what that effort and result does for me is make me not want to watch the Tour. At all. For the first time since 2003 I am actually thinking of really avoiding anything to do with the Tour. 

One thing I know from the Giro. Yates and Chaves areQuote clean. And I will make sure that I yell even ****ing louder for them in the future. 

or treat it like wrestling, NRL, AFL and just enjoy the spectral.

You look at outstanding professional or age group performance and question it. It is the nature of the world we like in.

4 minutes ago, rory-dognz said:

or treat it like wrestling, NRL, AFL and just enjoy the spectral.

You look at outstanding professional or age group performance and question it. It is the nature of the world we like in.

Yeah. 

I don't mind a high quality super human sporting display at all. 

But when someone clearly is taking the piss... Ffs gimme a break. 

Contradiction ahead - Be super human. Just be subtle about it. Kill us softly.