FatPom

IM/LC racing. Value/worth thoughts

24 minutes ago, pieman said:

AP's yardstick is being able to do 2km swim, 100km TT and 2 hour run year around.. 

I'd say less than 10% of trannies are doing that..

Let's do a poll

1 hour ago, pieman said:

AP's yardstick is being able to do 2km swim, 100km TT and 2 hour run year around.. 

I'd say most can do it. They just have a life & only ramp up their training when getting ready for an event. I'm doing about 8 to 9hrs training a week at the moment and loving it.

1 hour ago, pieman said:

I rode 145 on sat without much effort. 

Easily do 2k. I’ll prob do 3k tonight. 

2 hour run easy. But prob only cover 20k. 

Its not that much of a stretch to be honest. 

7 hours ago, zed said:

Most ocean sports tend to be quite cathartic. I reckon a ski would be awesome. And I don't think it matters that you don't race triathlon, you're our spiritual leader!

Roxii a ski or ocean kayak is so much fun. It can be as easy or as hard as you want by chasing swell & catching runners. 

But it can be hard on the hip region. When you go looking make sure you get an adjustable set up & something stable while learning. Then fill the garage up with Fenns, Epics, Mirages etc etc & a double so you can take a friend. You cant have too many lol

• Haha 1

my return to LC is because I turned 50, after 5 years since i did my last.

I did a IM in my 30's, 40's and now I'm 50 want to do another.

That is my motivation, after Sunday will see what happen next.

I still enjoy just being out and exercising, like a few it is a lifestyle to be fit, and AP's benchmark is a good one.

35 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Roxii a ski or ocean kayak is so much fun. It can be as easy or as hard as you want by chasing swell & catching runners. 

But it can be hard on the hip region. When you go looking make sure you get an adjustable set up & something stable while learning. Then fill the garage up with Fenns, Epics, Mirages etc etc & a double so you can take a friend. You cant have too many lol

Thought I was gunna be saving money going from bikes to boats.

oh well, may as well get back in the dog house.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, rory-dognz said:

my return to LC is because I turned 50, after 5 years since i did my last.

I did a IM in my 30's, 40's and now I'm 50 want to do another.

That is my motivation, after Sunday will see what happen next.

I still enjoy just being out and exercising, like a few it is a lifestyle to be fit, and AP's benchmark is a good one.

Similar to me. My last IM was 5 years ago and I've entered Cairns this year as I've just turned 55. No other reason than I felt like a bit of a challenge and it's motivated me to train more than I have for quite a while. Reckon another IM at 60 will be next🏊‍♂️🚵‍♂️🏃‍♂️

1 minute ago, roxii said:

Thought I was gunna be saving money going from bikes to boats.

oh well, may as well get back in the dog house.

On the plus side, since your rebuild, your dog house is pretty nice. :lol:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Peter said:

It will be a family visit too. If my passport lets me into the shire. 

As long as you leave the beard, flannel shirt, fat black and skinny jeans in Melbourne you'll be fine 😁👌😂

2 hours ago, Peter said:

+1 

Except for the 145. 

I only did 100 and wasn't a TT 

Same run speed too. 

Swim.... Pfft... Thanks to MJK I have a head for long swimming now. I don't care how far, just keep going. *

*no Ex I wasn't calling you out... LOL 

3 hours ago, pieman said:

That's pretty much me.  Long runs in off season are closer to 90mins sometimes but there or thereabouts.

4 hours ago, The new guy said:

If you are ticking a list and trying to get through all the events possible, go ahead.

But its not a destination race - the swim is putrid, the ride ok, and the run is mainly monotonous laps of the rowing lake.

The only negative i have is you can't walk to the start from your hotel.  Otherwise to me it's one of the best 70.3 races I've done, I love the venue and will be back for my 3rd crack at it this year.

Re the topic of this thread.  I've had a step away from long course stuff but really looking forward to getting back into it now.

3 hours ago, Peter said:

I don't want to speak for the great man but i think the point is being close to your HIM level year around.. I'm suremost of us could noodle around for 100km or shuffle 2 hours probably on no training but riding HIM watts or pace is different... 

I'm just a flea though so might be totally wrong..

9 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

+1 

Except for the 145. 

I only did 100 and wasn't a TT 

Same run speed too. 

Swim.... Pfft... Thanks to MJK I have a head for long swimming now. I don't care how far, just keep going. *

*no Ex I wasn't calling you out... LOL 

Edit 

I woke up at 2am feeling guilty. 

I could do APs S/B/R.... Prior to the injuries I have. No chance at the moment. Just wanted to say that. Cheers 

Thought about this a bit more. I think what I'm scared of is losing the ability to push myself, either in volume or intensity, if it's not for IM distance.  That issue is mine to own, and clearly I used to be able to this in single sports but I feel like I'd be cast adrift without it.

I'm sure the key lies in picking a variety of events and planning ahead. Having a plan last year and this year did wonders for my consistency. I just need to change the plan a bit and make the year a variety box of events. (which is that hard bit at the moment).

I'm sure of this though: variety=motivation=fun=value :)

• Like 2

For me its about being at my absolute best and having the best outcome possible in all three legs . So far I have failed to that in my LC 5 races.I have come close.I will never KQ, but the driver for me is to enjoy the training and associated benefits, and one day have that perfect race where it all comes off. Then I can die happy!

• Like 2

riding with the local fast bunches, doing bike races, enough swimming to stay proficient and running around 50 k per week, Is cheap and fun. Add in zwift why would you ever pay to a race or interact with real people

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

why would you ever pay to a race or interact with real people

Are you an accountant or lawyer?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Peter said:

Are you an accountant or lawyer?

I'm married to an accountant and I pay for that every day. :lol:

• Haha 1

The best sport experience was the other day riding a very hard long hill on zwift, one of the zwift runners ran past me. 

4 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

The best sport experience was the other day riding a very hard long hill on zwift, one of the zwift runners ran past me. 

yeah, that's happened to me twice on AdZ, just gotta stay calm and remember that their treadmill doesn't adjust. (bloody hope not anyway :lol: )

• Like 1

It all comes down to what you measure as value.

• Like 3