FatPom

IM/LC racing. Value/worth thoughts

Having a chat on another forum about long lost posters and some coming back. Quite a few said they'd left tri and others doing shorter stuff.  Got me thinking, because despite training going well, I can sense a 'perfect storm' of sorts coming. I wrote the following. Interested in if any feels the same?

I come from a bike racing and TT background, so have always had cycling as my main multi-sport 'pillar'. I've raced every discipline of cycling except for BMX and MTB .

I've always gone back and forth on whether I was a cyclist that just did tris, or was I an ex cyclist becoming a 'triathlete' . In the end I decided I was someone that just likes to do 'stuff'. 

I'm not a great tri swimmer but fair much better in choppy and lumpy sea swims due to years of surfing. I can diesel swim my way around a course with few hassles. That doesn't mean I like swimming. I like OWS but I hate the grind of swimming pool logistics. 

Ironically, I'm turning out some of my best run times since breaking my back and my FTP is the highest it's been for a few years. 

Here's the thing though, I'm never actually sure if I'm enjoying myself. I enjoy being fit, I enjoy the variety of events on in the UK. I enjoy building all my own bikes from the ground up and I enjoy having something to aim for. But I've forgotten why I think it's a good idea to roll around on the IM crazy train again. 

LCW is a family holiday, all good. Marlow HIM is a deferral from last year but gawd knows why I'm thinking of IM Wales again, ease of logistics probably. 

My job is pretty stressful and commute is 40-45 min each way. We are staying in the UK for a couple more years and buying a house in Winchester. I have absolutely zero interest in DIY, so I know I don't need more time for that. Little one starts school this year. 

It's not about the money, it's a little bit about time but mostly a combo of both. I don't mind spending big money on a good experience but I'm unlikely to repeat that. I did a Hot Chilli experience once but wouldn't repeat it because there are so many other things to do (Haute Route Rockies for example). It's the same reason we never holiday in the same place twice. Too much to see and do elsewhere. 

I've fallen in love with running again and have never lost my love for cycling and TTing. I also love the short course tri process but can see a point where spending more surfing holidays with the family will knock IM into a cocked hat, as I don't understand why I put myself under the pressure of doing 'the big' tri stuff any more. Sad

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 2

Not the "same" as me but similar. 

Just do stuff. That's my first thought of training etc. I have an idea of how fast/hard to go at any given time but the basis has to be enjoyment for me at the moment. 

Plus, like you I'm a Dad who wants to go camping etc with my daughter while I am still "her hero". 

Fun first. 

Fast and serious second. 

• Like 2

IM LC races are very expensive. Unless you live close driving distance to them, bring money. Close to $400 for a half, close to $1k for a full. Fuel, accomodation expensive and hard to get, plus food easily adds up to $4000 just to get there for IM. Let alone the time and costs of the training.

Value, personal, for me not being good enough to KQ, don't get value seeing if I can go x minutes quicker. Cycling and run races are where it is at from value point of view for me.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

Just do stuff. That's my first thought of training etc. I have an idea of how fast/hard to go at any given time but the basis has to be enjoyment for me at the moment.

Agreed, just do stuff you enjoy.  What I'm doing or how seriously I'm doing it depends on the time I've got available and what my other priorities are at the time.  It's great to maintain a healthy lifestyle and I like the feeling that at any point in time I could 'complete' most events.  Triathlon is great for this because even if you are injured you can still usually maintain some level of fitness through doing one of the other disciplines.

Enjoy life.  That enjoyment may involve rest & relaxation, or it might be full on and never wasting a minute, or it may be a combination of both.  I like the thought of filling my life with lots of memories, so I try to do lots of different things and fit in lots of different events.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

IM LC races are very expensive. Unless you live close driving distance to them, bring money. Close to $400 for a half, close to $1k for a full. Fuel, accomodation expensive and hard to get, plus food easily adds up to $4000 just to get there for IM. Let alone the time and costs of the training.

Value, personal, for me not being good enough to KQ, don't get value seeing if I can go x minutes quicker. Cycling and run races are where it is at from value point of view for me.

Esp if you race overseas. I have been lucky enough to get a free spot for IM Maryland. It's still going to cost us about $10k. That dosen't include having to buy a new bike, shoes, wetsuit, race kit & goggles etc...... 

For me the value is in racing new events and meeting new people. My wife & daughter love to travel. While I'm out training they are on the net looking at races, places to visit, things to do etc.  

Maryland will be my 20th IM. I could have paid off my house by now and have some coin in the bank. 

Having said that. My daughter has just started running & I'm enjoying 5km park runs with her more than any Ironman I have ever raced. 

• Like 2

Im really tossing up where to from here. 

Obviously no running for me any more, but even riding is not super comfortable at the moment.  

Was thinking about doing a bit more swimming but pools dont excite me, and its just getting a bit cold for open water. 

Thinking about getting a ski or something to paddle around on in the bay to replace the bikes Im offloading. 

At one point I was feeling so crap also thought about offloading Trannys as it was making me feel like a fraud, owning a tri forum but not being a triathlete. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, roxii said:

Obviously no running for me any more, but even riding is not super comfortable at the moment.  

Was thinking about doing a bit more swimming but pools dont excite me, and its just getting a bit cold for open water. 

Thinking about getting a ski or something to paddle around on in the bay to replace the bikes Im offloading. 

At one point I was feeling so crap also thought about offloading Trannys as it was making me feel like a fraud, owning a tri forum but not being a triathlete. 

Most ocean sports tend to be quite cathartic. I reckon a ski would be awesome. And I don't think it matters that you don't race triathlon, you're our spiritual leader!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, roxii said:

Nah you've gone sub 13hrs.  You aren't a fraud  ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, roxii said:

Brett Sutton is not a triathlete but he coaches them.  So never think you are a fraud.  Your value is represented by your passion for the sport whether participating or as a spectator/enthusiast.  The sport tends to judge a lot, equipment, training v exercise, Kona/No Kona.  

The forum brings a lot of different people together from very different positions in life.  Allows people to vent some frustration, some emotions.  You are the manager of this and have a do a great job despite what others think.  You are not perfect just like everyone else.  

Dont ever think you dont have a place because you dont swim bike run.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, roxii said:

Nah mate, you're a Legend ( # 153 ).🙌

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, FatPom said:

I've fallen in love with running again and have never lost my love for cycling and TTing. I also love the short course tri process but can see a point where spending more surfing holidays with the family will knock IM into a cocked hat, as I don't understand why I put myself under the pressure of doing 'the big' tri stuff any more. Sad

Life is too short to be doing extra curricular things for any reason other than you enjoy them. 

Just do what you like when the urge hits you, if it just keeps you fit and happy then thats a win, if it gets you to a race then even better. 

• Like 2

I am thinking about my stay in LC racing, for me I think it is the too many eggs in one basket issue. I am not feeling 100% today and I am off to the doc to get treatment, I have also been at the physio, I just feel that the $400 + all other costs is wasted if I have to withdraw in the last week. Just my musings.

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, roxii said:

I know what you mean!  And I haven't even had the chance to do an IM yet!  Sure I've done some long stuff, but.........

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MissJess said:

I am thinking about my stay in LC racing, for me I think it is the too many eggs in one basket issue. I am not feeling 100% today and I am off to the doc to get treatment, I have also been at the physio, I just feel that the $400 + all other costs is wasted if I have to withdraw in the last week. Just my musings.

I enter at the last minute now. Stuff blowing $$ for no reason. 

8 minutes ago, goughy said:

I know what you mean!  And I haven't even had the chance to do an IM yet!  Sure I've done some long stuff, but.........

Yeah you are a fraud.  But we like you so you can hang around.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Peter said:

I enter at the last minute now. Stuff blowing $$ for no reason. 

I hope you weren't planning on doing Cairns this year.

9 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I hope you weren't planning on doing Cairns this year.

You can always get a start but no I'm not down to do that.

Toying with Western Sydney.  Never done that before.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Yeah you are a fraud.  But we like you so you can hang around.

"Faux triathlete"...

45 minutes ago, Peter said:

You can always get a start but no I'm not down to do that.

Toying with Western Sydney.  Never done that before.

If you are ticking a list and trying to get through all the events possible, go ahead.

But its not a destination race - the swim is putrid, the ride ok, and the run is mainly monotonous laps of the rowing lake.

10 minutes ago, The new guy said:

If you are ticking a list and trying to get through all the events possible, go ahead.

But its not a destination race - the swim is putrid, the ride ok, and the run is mainly monotonous laps of the rowing lake.

It will be a family visit too. If my passport lets me into the shire. 

23 minutes ago, The new guy said:

But I thought it was right next to the Harbour Bridge..?

The joy and the drive is still there for me. In fact, as the years tick by the more I seem to enjoy it and the better I get (hopefully). For me, the enjoyment has come from gradual improvements in things like running which I never thought I could do - but then taking it that step further and understanding how to pull it all together in a race with the other 2 sports - I like that challenge. I also learn from failures, which I think is all part of the package.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The new guy said:

I disagree. The swim is great...sure it’s a lake with not a lot of visibility, but it is miles off being putrid. 

17 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

I disagree. The swim is great...sure it’s a lake with not a lot of visibility, but it is miles off being putrid. 

No sharks at least.

Thanks all, interesting comments.

I remember somebody on here saying that their definition of 'maintaining fitness' was to be ready to do a HIM at any point.  I think that's a pretty good yardstick for me.

Im currently averaging 9-10 hrs a week but haven't done that all year. More like 8-9 before April.

Mrs FP is keen for me to do IM Wales again as she recognizes it could be my last decent chance before Flipper starts school.  Tenby is a 4hr drive for me but even then it will still cost approx £1100 with entry/hotel/food etc.  If the weather is like last year, then that could be a 'what's the point' kind of day.

I will get a better feel at LCW for how I'm tracking but can definitely see my future as 1 or 2 HIM per year kind of guy and just throw in some local stuff, both cycling and running.

I reckon I'm looking for the combo of maximum enjoyment and maximum potential, which I haven't nailed yet.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Thanks all, interesting comments.

I remember somebody on here saying that their definition of 'maintaining fitness' was to be ready to do a HIM at any point.  I think that's a pretty good yardstick for me.

Im currently averaging 9-10 hrs a week but haven't done that all year. More like 8-9 before April.

Mrs FP is keen for me to do IM Wales again as she recognizes it could be my last decent chance before Flipper starts school.  Tenby is a 4hr drive for me but even then it will still cost approx £1100 with entry/hotel/food etc.  If the weather is like last year, then that could be a 'what's the point' kind of day.

I will get a better feel at LCW for how I'm tracking but can definitely see my future as 1 or 2 HIM per year kind of guy and just throw in some local stuff, both cycling and running.

I reckon I'm looking for the combo of maximum enjoyment and maximum potential, which I haven't nailed yet.

AP's yardstick is being able to do 2km swim, 100km TT and 2 hour run year around.. 

I'd say less than 10% of trannies are doing that..